• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Thanks from America

Kiel vonAachen

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello. For the last year, I have I have had contact with American forces serving in a very remote and dangerous area in southern Afghanistan. Now that my US airborne guys are being replaced by Canadian forces, I want to express my thanks to my Canadian brothers for taking up the burden. I have come to believe that the battle for the future of the Afghan people will be won or lost in southern Afghanistan.If we fail to bring justice, peace, security, and economic progress to the southern provinces, we can forget about a viable democratic state for the Afghans.I sincerely hope that everyone will support the Canadian Forces as they undertake this difficult and demanding task.

And speaking of support, I was able to send care packages to my Airborne guys from contacts I made at AnySoldier.com.Unfortunately, AnySoldier.com is set up to provide contacts with American forces only. I have no idea how to make contact with individual Canadian troops. If there are Canadian soldiers in southern Afghanistan who have needs, please email me.I would be honored to help in any way that I can. Sometimes, even a little package from a stranger can make a lonely soldier smile.

It is very nice to see such gestures, if anything, I just wanted to express appreciation for your actions. Thank you.

Kiel, thanks are indeed reciprocal! 

Many of our guys have been supported by your brethren in daily ops as well as when things head South (CAS, MEDEVAC, etc...) 

I must also say, recently seeing the large picture of the ramp ceremony for Cpl Paul Davis' return to Canadian soil on the cover of the Asian issue of "Stars and Stripes" means an awful lot to your brothers and sisters North of the 49th!  Truly "Brothers in Arms" !  :salute:

Cheers,
Duey

On the way down to Kandahar last June, our convoy stopped at FB Laghman, where soldiers of the 10th Mountain Division (US) were stationed.  They're kindness and hospitality to us was great, and it was noted that the US forces were happy to accomodate their Canadian brothers.  Much thanks to all Americans who welcomed us in their Camps.  Also, I echo the sentiments that US assistance in getting our wounded help through the air medevacs shows the American concern for helping their friends get life saving medical assistance when needed.  :salute:

I hope everyone is doing well tonight. I just wanted to say how pleased I am that I found this website.It's like a breath of fresh air to find a group of folks who are discussing important issues. I also appreciate the many forums that allow an American civilian to learn more about the Canadian Forces.It's also comforting to know that there are apparently a lot of Canadians who like their politicians about as much as I like most of the American ones.

Here in the US, I find myself in an awkward position: I support the War on Terror, and since 9/11 have developed a deep pride in and affection for the US military forces. I appreciate and salute each American who is serving.( but I have to admit that I'm just slightly prejudiced in favor of my Airborne guys).I support their mission, but I loathe the current Commander-in-Chief and the morons who work for him. In my opinion, the US Forces have done an incredible job in the Mid-East if you take into consideration the half-wits who have been making the political decisions for the last six years. I'm sure this situation sounds familiar to Canadian veterans,too.

This may be self-evident to the both the folks who are currently serving and to our veterans; however, to a civilian like me, there have been lots of revelations since 9/11. This war to protect our civilization is so important that we have to divorce ourselves from the current crop of politicians and focus on the long-range goal.No matter who is in charge in Washington,D.C. and Ottawa, the stakes are so high that we have to support the war effort despite our reservations about our politicians.And for me, this also means that we have to support our military forces.I happen to believe that Afghanistan is much more important in the long run than Iraq, and I intend to support the soldiers in Afghanistan whether their home is in the US, Canada, or one of the NATO countries.I just hope the politicians will present the Canadian mission in Afghanistan in such a way that the Canadian people will be able to whole-heartedly support it and their soldiers,sailors, and aviators who now are in harm's way.

I just want to add that I would love to hear from any of the folks who are currently deployed.

I just got back from the sandbox a scant week (+) ago....

I worked out of Lagman (Qualat) for a while.....

My thanks go out to the Seminols and Gunslinger 6 for all the work they did when Woodie was killed...

Also for the work they continue to do for the boys in KAF right now....

Regards

Welcome home Franko, glad to see our boys return home to their families and friends safe.  :salute:

Franco, welcome home.Thanks for everything you did over there. I'm thinking in your travels you may have run into a few of my US Airborne boys.My guys were open for business in Zabul. Keep in mind you're talking with a spoiled civvie, but when I saw photos of their living conditions when they first got there, I almost cried.If you're familiar with the Flintstone cartoon series, I think you can understand me when I say I expected to see Fred and Wilma show up in the next photograph.In one of my letters to a young Lt, I told him things there didn't look too bad...that at least they had state-of-the-art 18th Century infrastructure to work with. I'm sure you could speak to that.

I would love to hear your take on how things are going.I read an article recently that focused on an interview with a young taliban fighter. In confidence (with no names of course), he indicated he fights with the Taliban because they pay him a salary. Do you think it's realistic to think that maybe we could put some of those poor locals on the payroll?

Again, welcome home, and thanks for your service. I salute all who have served and all who are there right now.

Back