• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The 2008 Canadian Election- Merged Thread

Zell_Dietrich said:
Now,  grammatically the question doesn't make sense.  It really doesn't. It has logical issues - if you were now something that were were being what would you do different from what now had been done"  (now say that in french)  ;)  This really was a misunderstanding and god knows we've heard PM Harper's french...

Having taught English (including grammar) for more than 7 years, I am going to have to disagree with you. The question was posed using the second conditional - also known as "unreal" conditional. That is to say that it's not possible or real, just hypothetical. E.g. "If I were you, I would not have done that."  In this example, I am not you nor can I be you. Stephane Dion is not the Prime Minister, nor can he be in this exact moment. It's a hypothetical situation, and personally, I thought it to be a legitimate question (and not a confusing one at all). Dion has been criticizing Harper left and right for not doing enough in the wake of this financial crisis. Ergo, it is only reasonable to ask what he would have done differently in Harper's situation.

Which reminds me,  Stephen Harper pounced on that flub like a drowning man grabs a life preserver. 

In all honesty, I would have, too! (if I were Stephen Harper.) ;)

I agree with Celticgirl.

"If you were the Prime Minister now, what would you have already done, in this crisis, that Mr. Harper has not done?" is a clear enough question. The journalist even said, a one point, "hypothetically." I'm not sure why Dion was confused but he was - that was clear enough, too.

Perhaps he's just tired but, equally, perhaps, he has never thought about what he would have done, in the past few weeks - in other words perhaps he hasn't bothered to analyse the situation facing Canada today.

George Wallace said:
Not being an Accountant or Financial guru, but:  $25B credit backstop for banks 'not a bailout': Harper

Fair enough George; however should the government not get the finacial backing that they are seeking; where does the $25 bilion come from?
According to world reports our banks are in great shape, why do they need this much cash inlux, from the government? BTW we as a country only have a 2.5 billion dollar projected surplus, what is to happen should this not be the case?

The 25 billion is simply Harper's answer to the clamoring left wanting him to do something......so he made sure the banks were well capitalized

GAP said:
The 25 billion is simply Harper's answer to the clamoring left wanting him to do something......so he made sure the banks were well capitalized

But where is the funding coming from? That is the penultimate question.

Rodahn said:

We have a machine that prints it.

Rodahn said:

It's an asset swap. The money is coming from the government and CMHC.

Its called deficit spending. Buy now pay later, or rather they spend now, "we" pay later. Just add this latest amount to the tab and we'll see how much tax relief we get when the tab comes due. "Nada" . Its almost as good as having a platinum visa card, feels good when your spending, hurts like hell when you have to pay it back. Or they can go the other way, slash social programs, health care, child care and still give the tax cuts, either way the tax payer is on the hoof for the bill.

Your going to see more of this before this crisis is over and any government that claims this won't push them into a deficit, is lying.

Oh my lord, people. Read the freakin article. It's money we already have. What has happened, is that the goverment (and CMHC) have invested in Canadian homeowners. By purchasing these mortgages, they've injected sorely needed cash into the banking system. Unlike the US, our government has bought good quality instruments that will make money.

Oh my lord, people. Read the freakin article. It's money we already have. What has happened, is that the goverment (and CMHC) have invested in Canadian homeowners. By purchasing these mortgages, they've injected sorely needed cash into the banking system. Unlike the US, our government has bought good quality instruments that will make money.

I read the article.

Riiight and you really believe that, don't be so naive. You think that pulling 25 big ones out of a hat is money they just happened to have sitting around, "no" its money that was probably taken from future spending, because up until this past week Harper said himself, he would not have to give the banks anything. You think the government had a crystal ball a year ago and seen this crisis coming and just so happened to set a side, Oh $25,000,000,000.00 for this very reason. Hogwash! Governments most of the time can't see past their own noses, let alone see a train wreck like this coming down the tracks.

Celticgirl said:
Having taught English (including grammar) for more than 7 years, I am going to have to disagree with you.

:rofl:  When will that be?  ;)

Well if I had done things I am going to do before I will have already will have done them,  I will, having done things differently than I will have, have done things differently.  How many of you understood that,  how many of you could do that in French?  (This is playing differently in the east than in the west.)  All I'm hearing is about the ethics of the reporter,  how Harper showed how he can't stop himself from going for the jugular, and how would you say that in french.  (I couldn't do it on the spot)

Agreeing to purchase high quality commercial paper is not something that will affect future federal spending in a huge way.  Remember we just gave 50 Billion in cooperate tax cuts.  (and now the tax code is over intergrated which will result in some interesting tax loopholes - other accountants just giggled reading that)

*silly ramble*
It is interesting though how 'troubled economic times' actually helped the Liberals.  Remember out west the Liberals destroyed the economy, where as out east it is know that Tory times are tough times.  The Conservatives have dropped the ball in Quebec and with Harper's latest gaff, kinda sealed the deal.  In Ontario they will loose seats... I think we are looking at PM Dion without an NDP balance of power....

Zell_Dietrich said:
All I'm hearing is about the ethics of the reporter,  how Harper showed how he can't stop himself from going for the jugular, and how would you say that in french.  (I couldn't do it on the spot)

I watched that on the CBC too. Funny how they only showed a portion of the clip which didn't make him look like that much of a bafoon and then the panel all piled on Harper. Maybe you should've watched Mike Duffy.

Zell_Dietrich said:
Well if I had done things I am going to do before I will have already will have done them,  I will, having done things differently than I will have, have done things differently.  How many of you understood that,  how many of you could do that in French?  (This is playing differently in the east than in the west.)  All I'm hearing is about the ethics of the reporter,  how Harper showed how he can't stop himself from going for the jugular, and how would you say that in french.  (I couldn't do it on the spot)
Nobody asked M. Dion to say anything in English.  They asked him a question in English.  The question should be this: pose the same question, in french, to Mr. Harper, and watch his response.

Now, to satiate the masses, here's my attempt:
"Si vous etiez le premier ministre maintenant, qu'est-ce que vous aviez fait en reponse de la crise economique?"

I don't know if that's close, but heck, if it is: whatever.  I'm not running for PM.  And as I recall, Mr. Harper's french is actually quite good and surprised a bunch of Quebecois reporters back in 2004 when he first ran against Mr. Martin.

Anyway, I counter your PM Dion prediction with a CPC majority prediction (I think we're both on the dope!)  :rofl:

Conservatives' fate could hinge on Ontario vote
Updated Fri. Oct. 10 2008 10:04 PM ET CTV.ca News Staff
Article Link

With just days remaining before Canadians go to the polls, Ontario is looking more and more like the battleground where the election race will be won, or lost.

A Strategic Counsel poll finds that 37 per cent of Ontarians would vote for the Conservatives if the election were held today, while 32 per cent indicated they would support the Liberals.

The New Democrats would take 20 per cent of the vote while the Green Party would receive 11 per cent.

The detailed polling by The Strategic Counsel was conducted from Oct. 7 to Oct. 9 for CTV and the Globe and Mail.

Conservative Leader Stephen Harper, NDP leader Jack Layton and Liberal Leader Stephane Dion all hammered their messages home on the Ontario hustings on Friday.

Following are the results when Ontarians were asked how they would vote if the election was held today, compared to the 2006 election result, which is in brackets.

Conservative: 37 per cent (35 per cent)
Liberal: 32 per cent (40 per cent)
NDP: 20 per cent (18 per cent)
Green Party: 11 per cent (5 per cent)

When broken down by region, the Conservatives were strongest in towns and rural areas, with 43 per cent support from respondents in those areas.

Liberals had 36 per cent, the NDP 13 per cent and the Greens nine per cent in towns and rural areas.

In urban areas, the Liberals had an advantage with 30 per cent support, while the Conservatives had 26 per cent, the NDP 23 per cent and the Greens had a strong 21 per cent.

In Toronto's 416 area-code, the poll results showed the Conservatives up to 29 per cent, a gain of five points from the 2006 election. The Liberals, by comparison, are now at 39 per cent, a drop from 51 per cent in the 2006 election.

However, the Strategic Counsel's Peter Donolo said it is still a stretch to assume the Conservatives will actually gain seats Canada's largest city.

In the 905 area code or the South Central region of Ontario surrounding Toronto, the Conservatives polled at 40 per cent, one point above their 2006 result. The Liberals' dropped from 44 per cent down to 33 per cent, with the Greens gaining seven points and the NDP gaining three points.

Much of that Tory strength is due to the Conservatives work in targeting minority groups and new Canadians.

When the results were tracked by gender, the Conservatives were stronger among men, with 40 per. But they also held the lead among women voters -- suggesting the Liberals have lost much of their historic grip on the female vote.

Following are the results when results were broken down by gender:

Among male voters:

Conservative: 40 per cent
Liberal: 33 per cent
NDP: 16 per cent
Green Party: 11 per cent

Among female voters:

Conservative: 34 per cent
Liberal: 31 per cent
NDP: 24 per cent
Green Party: 11 per cent

When tracked by age, the Greens and NDP found most of their support among young people between 18 and 34. However, that age group is historically the least likely to show up at the polls.

When categorized by age, education, household income and gender, the Conservatives have the edge in all categories.

The Conservatives also have a lead among religious voters and those who own their own home, according to the poll. But they were in a virtual tie with the Liberals among visible minorities -- a demographic the party has targeted.

Though the Green Party has enjoyed its highest poll numbers yet, 44 per cent of their supporters somewhat likely to very likely to change their preference on election day.

Conservative supporters are the most solid in the province, with only 19 per cent somewhat or very likely to switch their vote, however.

Technical notes:

The Strategic Counsel is pleased to present findings of a survey of 1,000 Ontarians.

Results are based on random samples of adults 18 years of age or older in each of the 106 ridings in Ontario. Results were weighted by age and region to be proportionate to the provincial population.

Interviews were conducted between October 7th and October 9th, 2008.

Note: Proportions may not sum to 100% due to rounding.

Regional and Demographic Breakdowns
Sample Size and Margin of error:

Ontario: 1,000 - 3.1%
Toronto: 230 - 6.5%
South Central Ontario: 250 - 6.2%
South Central Ontario (inner 905): 150 -8.0%
South Central Ontario (Outer Suburbs): 100 - 9.8%
South Western Ontario: 300 - 5.7%
South Western Ontario (Cities): 140 - 8.3%
South Western Ontario (Towns & Rural): 160 - 7.8%
South Eastern Ontario: 190 - 7.1%
Northern Ontario: 90 - 10.3%
Conservative Ridings: 400 - 4.9%
Liberal Ridings: 540 - 4.2%
NDP Ridings: 120 - 9.0%
Note: Because of the smaller sample size, the margin of error for demographic breakdowns is significantly larger than for the overall percentages.

End

Here, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act from today’s Ottawa Citizen is another editorial board endorsement of Stephen Harper’s Conservatives:

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/editorials/story.html?id=2c2083b9-4d72-4fe3-874f-2b00eba5d867
It is about leadership

The Ottawa Citizen

Saturday, October 11, 2008

South of the border, the two presidential candidates seek to reconcile the tension between their compelling personal narratives and the need to present themselves as ordinary people.

In Canada, meanwhile, the contenders for prime minister need not fake their ordinariness.

Conservative Stephen Harper, the Liberal's Stéphane Dion, the NDP's Jack Layton -- all are workaday politicians, academically inclined, unlikely to give a memorable speech or interview. The Green's Elizabeth May is a fresher face, but she is no less a fixture of official Ottawa and has been no more able than the others to capture the Canadian imagination.

We believe that Canadians should return the Conservatives to government on Oct. 14, but not because Stephen Harper is an inspiring figure. He is not. There are no Obama-esque promises to repair the world. But Mr. Harper offers the steadiest hand and clearest judgment to steer Canada through the rough waters that lie ahead.

Now, Conservative opponents can provide a long list of Mr. Harper's misdeeds. Topping our own inventory is the party's ideological approach to crime and drug policy, rejecting as it does the evidence of experts who actually study these issues. A close second is the sneering attitude Mr. Harper has shown toward Ottawa as the cultural capital of Canada, as expressed in his insult about "galas" on the eve of an important National Arts Centre fundraiser, and his failure to recognize that the national portrait gallery, a federal institution celebrating Canadian identity, belongs in the capital.

Yet, on balance, the Harper Conservatives, during their short tenure in government, have earned our respect, and in some cases admiration.

Last spring brought one of the most moving moments ever in the House of Commons when Mr. Harper apologized for policies of forced assimilation that led to the abuse of native children in residential schools. The dislocation of First Nations peoples has been a stain on the Maple Leaf for generations. Mr. Harper's apology, along with a truth and reconciliation commission, will help remove that stain.

Similarly, Canadian governments for years shuffled awkwardly whenever anyone mentioned the humiliating and racist "head tax" that Chinese immigrants used to pay. Shortly after becoming prime minister in 2006, Mr. Harper formally apologized to Chinese Canadians -- "You are part of our family," he told them -- and announced compensation.

Mr. Harper showed a stiff spine when he declined to go to Beijing during the Olympics to share drinks with the totalitarian government there. The Conservatives have made clear Canada will not lend legitimacy to next year's Durban II, the second international conference against "racism" that is actually a propaganda front for regimes like Iran to bash the West.

Canada is, in population, a small country, but Mr. Harper insists we stand tall. Conservative commitments to rebuild the Canadian Forces -- it fell into ruins under Liberal governments -- are an assertion of Canadian independence, because a competent military makes us less reliant on the U.S. Indeed, when foreign nations began hovering around our North, the Conservative government initiated its Arctic strategy, with the construction of patrol ships and a deep water port, again as an assertion of Canadian sovereignty.

These positions, demonstrating principle and resolve, are a function of Mr. Harper's leadership.

Liberal leader Stéphane Dion, however, as has been widely noted from all sides of the political divide, is missing the ineluctable qualities that make for an effective leader.

Mr. Dion took a bold risk and proposed a dramatic new public policy in the form of a carbon tax. But the test of leadership is not simply about identifying a new direction; it's about persuading people to follow you there. Mr. Dion was unable to rally the citizenry around his climate change plan -- a citizenry, remember, that cares about climate change and ought to have been willing at least to give him a hearing. Worse, Mr. Dion was unable to rally his own troops, which probably explains why he had such difficulty recruiting sound candidates in places like Eastern Ontario.

From the moment he became Liberal leader, Mr. Dion has tried to resurrect fear Mr. Harper is a right-wing radical who seeks to govern exactly like George W. Bush. This is nonsense. Mr. Harper allowed same-sex marriage to stand, he killed a private member's bill that could have offered protection to unborn children and he continues to alienate small government types with his program spending.

Stéphane Dion's insistence that Mr. Harper is anything other than a centrist only exposes Mr. Dion's own position on the left of the Liberal party -- which is why voters are concerned that his indecipherable carbon tax plan will morph into a wealth redistribution scheme.

Yet the idea in principle of taxing greenhouse gas emissions is a worthwhile one, and we hope it doesn't die with Mr. Dion's campaign. Mr. Harper has an opening here. He knows well that his Conservative environmental policy is inadequate. As a proud son of Alberta, where there is skepticism about environmentalism, and as an economist by training, he has the credibility to take some risks of his own. He should study Mr. Dion's first draft and from it craft an approach to pricing carbon that would never be mistaken as a cash grab.

There are models of green conservatism emerging all over the world, and if Mr. Harper can fashion one for Canada it could be his most important legacy.

© The Ottawa Citizen 2008​

And yet another endorsement for Harper’s Conservatives. This one is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act from the Montreal Gazette:

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/editorial/story.html?id=842b61df-7004-4cfb-9f61-513309031805
Conservatives are our best bet in troubled times

The Gazette

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Canada has had a Conservative government for more than two and a half years now, and its record is, on balance, not bad. But making a choice in this election is more complex than it was in 2006, when the Liberals were a scandal-haunted shambles.

Federalists owe Liberal leader Stéphane Dion continued respect for his work on the Clarity Act and related puncturings of the sovereignist balloon. Although we have serious reservations about his Green Shift plan, he has worked with determination and dignity in this campaign even when his party seemed doomed. He has earned the late-campaign gains that polls suggest he has made.

On balance, however, we believe that considering the Conservative record and the goals, policies, and personnel of the other parties, it is the Conservatives who deserve to be re-elected on Tuesday. Amid all the unfair and misleading advertising of this campaign, one Conservative message is truer now than when the writ was dropped: Constancy and prudence with the country's finances are even more important when we're in the economic doldrums.

There is much to criticize in the record of Stephen Harper's government. But on the big issues - the economy, Canada's place in the world, and striking the right balance between Ottawa and the provinces, including Quebec - it has done well.

Obviously, however, the Conservatives have few prospects of winning ridings on or near Montreal Island. Accordingly we hope that Montrealers - and people across Quebec - will vote for the federalist candidate most likely to deprive the Bloc Québécois of members of Parliament.

Just a month ago many Canadians, and not least Quebec federalists, believed happily that this election would drive a stake through the heart of the Bloc. A new era seemed to be at hand.

The Conservatives in power were masterful in demonstrating openness to Quebec, in large ways and small. But two campaign platform planks popular in Rest-of-Canada - tougher youth criminal justice rules and cuts to some arts programs - poisoned the Quebec spring for the Conservatives. These inept moves have resulted in a Bloc resurgence. That party could even have the balance of power in Parliament at a time when the economy is at serious risk - plainly a recipe for damaging mischief.

Gilles Duceppe's wife Yolande Brunelle was quoted recently as explaining the real raison d'être of the Bloc: "Quebec, in voting for the Bloc, prevents Canada from having a majority government. The message? Here's a country that would be managed better without Quebec."

The real message of this cheerless revelation of motive is that this is a country that could be managed better without the Bloc. The actual "best interest of Quebec" would be full, able representation in the federal cabinet, and in the shadow cabinets of both opposition parties.

Jack Layton and his Quebec lieutenant Tom Mulcair have campaigned powerfully. But a number of NDP policies, from the abrupt abandonment of the Afghanistan mission to a sharp increase in corporate taxes, make little sense to us. The Greens, meanwhile, have in Elizabeth May a leader who is passionate and articulate - in English, anyway - but are clearly not ready for prime time.

Accordingly, we believe the responsible vote in many Montreal-area ridings is for whichever federalist candidate is best positioned to defeat the Bloc. In some ridings, of course, the Bloc is no threat, but in others, odd splits of the vote could lead to unforeseen results unless federalist voters are careful.

In the Montreal area, a number of incumbents, and a few challengers, have been or would be first-rate MPs and plainly deserve places in the next Parliament. They include Dion himself in Saint-Laurent-Cartierville, Conservative Michael Fortier in Vaudreuil-Soulanges; New Democrat Tom Mulcair in Outremont; and some other Liberals, notably Irwin Cotler in Mount-Royal and Marc Garneau in Westmount-Ville-Marie. And we admit to being deeply curious about how Justin Trudeau would comport himself in Parliament. We hope he is elected in Papineau.

Inevitably, every election is described by somebody as "the most important in our lifetime." In truth they're all important; this one too will set a path for the country in our troubled times. We invite every voter to think carefully and choose prudently.

© The Gazette (Montreal) 2008​

It’s not clear, not to me, anyway, how much ‘good’ these endorsements do, but parties work hard for them so I’m guessing that they may swing a few votes and that might make a difference in a few close ridings.

In this campaign, one characterized by some commentators as exceptionally boring, some voters may decide to vote for a or b at the very last minute and the local newspaper’s editorial position might influence that choice.

At the very least, editorial support should help, just a wee bit, to reduce the scary image of Harper’s Conservatives.

Not surprisingly, given the paper’s obligation to adhere to the Atkison Principles, the Toronto Star endores Stéphane Dion’s Liberals in this editorial, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of he Copyright Act from today’s Toronto Star:

http://www.thestar.com/FederalElection/article/515895
Star's choice: Dion, Liberals

Oct 11, 2008 04:30 AM

Prime Minister Stephen Harper has run a government that has put partisanship and ideology ahead of the public interest.

In fiscal policy, Harper has pursued a neo-conservative strategy to cut the GST – not, as economists had recommended, income taxes – in order to reduce dramatically the role of government. He inherited a $12 billion surplus from the previous Liberal government (under Paul Martin) and has squandered almost all of it. His moves have left the government with little room to manoeuvre in the current crisis.

In foreign affairs, Harper has diminished Canada's reputation as an independent voice and aligned his government with George Bush's White House on a range of issues, from the Middle East to the "war on terror." He has also worsened relations with China, the world's biggest emerging economy, and fallen behind other Western countries in developing ties with India, the second biggest.

Taking a cue from the Ontario Conservative government under Mike Harris, Harper has pursued policies of deregulation. He has either allowed sectors to be self-regulating (food, for example), or he has fired the regulator (Linda Keen at the nuclear safety commission).

On the environment, Harper scrapped the Kyoto accord and came up with a new plan that allows greenhouse gas emissions to continue to grow, especially in his home province of Alberta.

In federal-provincial relations, he has spent 33 months in power without once holding a conference of first ministers. And he has managed the neat trick of alienating the governments of both Quebec and Ontario. Even Pierre Trudeau didn't do that. Furthermore, his finance minister, Jim Flaherty, has unapologetically dissed Ontario as the "last place" to invest in Canada.

On the cities front, there have been some grudging moves by Harper's government to help municipalities cope with the enormous infrastructure challenges they face. But the federal Conservative attitude toward cities was best summed up by the aforementioned finance minister, who said dismissively that Ottawa is not in the business of "fixing potholes."

On the aboriginal file, while Harper extended a meaningful apology over residential schools, he also ripped up the Kelowna accord, thereby dealing a severe blow to relations with native communities.

And having castigated the Liberals for being anti-democratic when he was in opposition, Harper ran a government that was secretive and controlling to an astonishing degree. Independent voices in the Conservative caucus were expelled, ministers prohibited from saying anything much, and the media frozen out (until the election neared).

To top it all off, in calling this election Harper broke his own law fixing the election date for 2009.

Harper did all that with a minority. If he got a majority, there are very real concerns that he would go much further and pave the way for two-tier medicare, pursue more military adventures with the Americans, scrap the gun registry, and introduce more Bush-like tax cuts that would hamper any future government's ability to govern.

Harper's campaign has been no less mean-spirited than his government. It has been dominated by attack ads that ridicule his chief rival (Liberal Leader Stéphane Dion) and misrepresent the key plank in his platform (the "Green Shift"). The Conservatives have also pursued wedge issues such as youth crime and funding cuts for the arts.

Latterly, during the market meltdown, with Canadians fearful for their jobs and their savings, Harper sounded more like a broker than a prime minister with his message that "some good buying opportunities are opening up." And when Dion, who has a hearing problem, stumbled in a television interview because he had trouble comprehending a question, Harper absurdly seized on this as proof that the Liberals "really don't know what they would do on the economy."

For all these reasons, Harper and the Conservatives do not deserve to be re-elected on Tuesday.

We prefer Dion and the Liberals.

Dion, to be sure, has his faults. His communications skills are wanting, his approach can be somewhat academic, and he did not do his job as leader to make sure his party was fully prepared for this election. Mid-campaign, it appeared Dion might be leading the Liberals to a defeat of historic proportions.

But Dion has shown growth in this campaign and appeared finally to be connecting with voters at the end. He has also demonstrated strength of character in withstanding a withering negative ad campaign that would have brought lesser leaders to their knees.

Dion's intelligence is beyond question, as is his love of country.

As well, the Liberal team is definitely stronger, with candidates in the GTA like Bob Rae, Michael Ignatieff, Ken Dryden, Gerard Kennedy, Martha Hall Findlay, Navdeep Bains and Ruby Dhalla. Tellingly, Harper and the Conservatives failed to attract any name candidates to their local banner in this election.

Finally, the Liberal platform has much in it to like, including an emphasis on building infrastructure, fighting poverty, expanding child care and working with the provinces (especially Ontario).

The Green Shift, so ridiculed by the Conservatives, may seem complicated to the average voter. But it is actually simpler and more transparent than the Conservatives' own cap-and-trade plan, with "intensity-based" targets. The Conservative plan would also involve higher costs for consumers, but they would be hidden.

The New Democrats have an attractive leader in Jack Layton – articulate and knowledgeable. And the NDP platform is very similar to the Liberals', with one notable exception: its reliance on hiking corporate taxes by $50 billion. That could scare business away from Canada and is at odds with the direction taken by other liberal and social democratic governments.

As well, in Ontario at least, a ballot cast for the NDP would split the opposition vote and allow the Conservatives to go up the middle to victory – except, that is, in ridings the NDP already holds.

As for the Greens, their leader, Elizabeth May, has brought a feisty new presence to the campaign trail. But in this province, where the Greens are trailing well behind, a vote for them will clearly be wasted. It would be tantamount to voting for Ralph Nader, the Green candidate for U.S. president in 2000, who drew just enough votes away from Al Gore to allow the climate-change- denying Bush to win.

In summary, the re-election of Stephen Harper and the Conservatives would be bad for Toronto, bad for Ontario, and bad for Canada. Stéphane Dion and the Liberals are the best alternative.

This is an effective critique of Harper and his policies. I, obviously, do not find it persuasive but hundreds of thousands, indeed millions of Canadians will agree with the Red Star.

Equally well done is the plea to vote strategically, despite Jack Layton’s acknowledged personal charisma.

Finally, my last endorsement, bringing together Canada’s four largest cities, here, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act from yesterday’s Vancouver Sun, is that paper’s endorsement of Harper’s Tories:

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/editorial/story.html?id=17bb47c2-8415-47a8-8711-bd772cb3fb5a
Stephen Harper is our choice for the rough road
The economic squeeze we're feeling puts the emphasis on needing a government that can best manage the economy

Vancouver Sun

Friday, October 10, 2008

The Liberal leadership convention in 2006 was a turning point for the party as well as the country. It was everything a convention should be, with stirring speeches, tough backroom negotiations and a dramatic, come-from-behind finish. Delegates came away with hope that their dark days of scandal, disgrace and decline were behind them.

As we noted at the time, Stephane Dion, with his stumbling English delivery and ideological approach to politics, was not an obvious choice to lead a national political party.

But at a time when old-style politics were under attack, he offered the prospect of a fresh start, an opportunity to win back the confidence of Canadians after the Adscam corruption scandal that haunted Paul Martin during his brief term as prime minister and shook the party to its core.

It hasn't worked out. Under Dion's leadership, the Liberals have failed to capitalize on that opportunity. They entered this campaign a pale shadow of the iconic organization that ruled Canada for most of the past century, with empty pockets and weak popular support that started to ebb further as soon as Canadians started paying attention to the campaign.

In an election, a party with a leader who is more of a liability than an asset faces an uphill battle, but a strong team approach can succeed.

In this campaign, however, Dion faced a Conservative party that proved able under Prime Minister Stephen Harper to accomplish what Liberals could not: It remade itself.

From the combination of a rough-edged western reform movement and the ruins of the old Progressive Conservative party left behind by former prime minister Brian Mulroney in 1992, the Conservatives built a political organization that Canadians across the country were willing to support. They earned enough votes in 2006 to form a minority government.

Just as crucial to where they are today, they inspired their supporters to keep their dollars flowing in after the vote.

The financial strength of the Conservatives allowed them to start their campaign against the Liberal leader within days of the Liberal convention by painting Dion as a weak and ineffectual leader. It is an image he has been unable to shake.

This campaign was also shaped by the Liberals' inability to recover from another legacy of former prime minister Jean Chretien, the reformed campaign financing rules that cut the party off from the large corporate donations on which it has long depended.

The failure of Dion to re-energize the party in the almost three years he has had the job set up a campaign in which platforms have mattered less than the leaders. This despite the serious economic crisis unfolding south of the border that has overshadowed much of the campaign and the mounting evidence that Canadians won't emerge unscathed.

While the Liberals and NDP have tried to use the economic uncertainty to their advantage, it's clear to most Canadians that our government can't be blamed for the downdrafts we are starting to feel here.

That understanding defines the economic issue as "who can best manage the economy in uncertain times," rather than "who is responsible for the mess we're in."

Harper promises a steady-as-she-goes approach that is more akin to Liberal governments of the past than it is to a true conservative agenda. The Conservative election platform provides an additional $400 million in loans over the next four years to help the struggling manufacturing sector in Ontario and Quebec. Beyond that, a two-cent-a-litre cut in taxes on diesel and aviation fuel over four years totalling $600 million a year will also help the struggling truckers.

Meanwhile, Dion's platform is designed to drive the economy in a new direction. The Green Shift is at heart similar to British Columbia Premier Gordon Campbell's carbon tax. They are both designed to be somewhat disruptive to the economy while over time discouraging the use of fossil fuels.

But with concern over jobs, incomes and retirement savings outweighing the fear of climate change, we see little appetite for risky exploration of uncertain economic territory. That makes the Green Shift the wrong plan for the times, regardless of any theoretical merit.

The other issue that has had a remarkable amount of traction in this campaign is Harper's hang-'em-high crime agenda. The Conservatives have been able to tap into a deep well of fear and anger across the country, proving again that the emotional appeal of getting tough on criminals pays off even though there is little evidence that the measures they propose will make anyone safer.

Unfortunately for Harper, his crime agenda hasn't resonated in Quebec, as is evidenced by the slippage in recent polls. Harper's regrettable tendency to play on voters' fears has to be weighed against what he has achieved as prime minister -- holding together the longest-lived minority government in Canadian history and pushing through a significant agenda of change.

On the economic side, he has followed through with promised tax reductions. He has kept his commitment to strengthen our armed forces. By getting the accountability act through Parliament, he has ensured that Ottawa will be more responsive to taxpayers.

As promised, he increased funding for health care to reduce waiting times for surgeries and diagnostics. And -- of crucial importance -- he has resisted pressure from within his party to follow a more socially conservative path.

Significantly for British Columbians, he led a government that has taken the perennial issue of western alienation off the table in this campaign. Westerners are clearly in.

All parties are constrained in their platforms by their promise to deliver balanced budgets. With an underperforming economy likely to deliver diminished revenues, there is little room to manoeuvre for any party that gets to form the government.

That economic squeeze puts the emphasis on economic management in the short to medium term.

The Liberals posted a spectacular record in balancing the budget, cutting taxes and reducing the national debt for more than a decade under Martin and Chretien, a record that has allowed Harper to honestly maintain during a time of crisis in the U.S. that the fundamentals of our economy remain strong.

As for the New Democrats and the Greens, they should be considered only in their traditional role as a source of ideas and loyal opposition, not as prospective managers of the economy, in good times or bad, despite NDP leader Jack Layton's lofty ambition to be prime minister and Green leader Elizabeth May's solid performance in the debates.

As the campaign comes to a close, we have a choice between a Liberal who has been unable to capitalize on his opportunity to lead and a Conservative who had a rocky start as leader but has shown he can grow in office.

As Harper correctly put it this week: "Prudent leadership does not set economic strategy for the nightly news or rewrite plans for the morning papers. On the contrary . . . the strengths of a plan are advanced preparation and consistent execution."

The PM has certainly demonstrated this by executing tax cuts six months ago and by coming up with an economic plan that could potentially help us avoid some big pot holes.

So on the ballot box question that's on everybody's mind -- the slowing economy -- we trust Harper to navigate the rough road ahead.

A majority government for the Conservatives led by Stephen Harper is our choice.

© The Vancouver Sun 2008​

This is an effective counter to the points (well) made by the Toronto Red Star.

Zell_Dietrich said:
:rofl:  When will that be?  ;)

Right now. I'm sorry, but you've just failed my grammar class. There's the door. Don't let it hit your  >:D on the way out.

Back