• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The 2008 Canadian Election- Merged Thread

BulletMagnet said:
....From downtown hippy/immigrant/not really Canadian (IE: Radical Islam) population

So I guess these are the Canadians who got off their asses and actually voted?

Blackadder1916 said:
It's been a few decades since I left the rock, but vindictiveness and an autocratic streak are almost in the DNA of Newfoundland first ministers (pre and post Confederation).  Danny Williams is a pussycat compared to Joey Smallwood, however Joey's vindictiveness was usually reserved for his home-grown opponents; much of his time with mainland (business and political) interests was spent sucking up.
As in the boffo job he did negotiating with Quebec on Churchill Falls?

Michael O`Leary said:

In short yes...

However when one wants to win a war they do so also on a domestic front, Taliban Jack almost openly supporting the Taliban (well certainly not supporting the Afgan people nor the CF) would be the strongest candidate for them to vote for so they move into his riding. You'll also notice the hippy vote in his area went to him aswell. I am using hippy to include the very strong gay and labour communities in Danforth as well.

It's unfortunate that the populace of Canada is so blase about the leadership of this country, though I am huge fan of Harper few Canadians will see him as the man I do. He still to this day cannot seem personable via mass media. It's his weakest point sadly.

dapaterson said:
Dangerous undercurrent to that, mate... "Not really Canadian"?  Folks who fled their homeland, chose Canada, and had to make an effort to become citizens, vice the many slack and idle do-nothings born into citizenship with no understanding of its value?  I know my first choice as "Canadians".

Whether or not they appreciate it....they were born into that 'freedom' by our forefathers who paid for their 'freedom' to be that way....they should not be looked down upon by those in uniform who continue to protect/provide that freedom, such as you and I, should they?

You called BM for a dangerous uncurrent but then laid into one yourself...pot...kettle.

*edited for spelling (aggain...dammit!  :blotto:)

My current group of "fellow Albertans" come from all parts of the Globe, including some locals.   All of them put in a pretty hard slog in a job that we can't seem to hold "Canadians" in.  And many of them have more reason than most to appreciate the opportunity to argue about policy, vote for more than one party, vote more than once and not have to worry about violent transitions of power.

Pretty good Canadians from where I sit.

Eye In The Sky said:
Goddamn PEI education kicks me in the arse again! And..it is late!   :P

Sorry. I am beat tired and that struck me as funny. ;)

It is definitely late...way past my bedtime, too. I think it's time to accept the minority win (albeit with more seats) and get some zeds.

You will notice I quantified "Non Canadian" and I stand by my quantification of who I say is not really a Canadian.

Those who come to this country and try to make our country more like theirs is not a Canadian. And you all know the type of person I am talking about to. Those people and families who bring with them their religious agendas or their ideas of how THIS country should be more like the old country from which they originate. Those people are the people I reffer to.

Michael O`Leary said:
How do they run elections in Alberta?    ;D

Early and often  ;D

$2 used to get you a horse, a *****  (lady of the night  - Dammit! You can't even use the Queen's English round here any more) or a vote  ;)

And Bullet Magnet - you're right.  Taking things a little seriously me.

Cheers, and join me in a Chivas.

BulletMagnet said:
You will notice I quantified "Non Canadian" and I stand by my quantification of who I say is not really a Canadian.

Those who come to this country and try to make our country more like theirs is not a Canadian. And you all know the type of person I am talking about to. Those people and families who bring with them their religious agendas or their ideas of how THIS country should be more like the old country from which they originate. Those people are the people I reffer to.

I know the idea of the +1 posts are now a no-no here but thats about all I could say about BMs post.

+1 to your post, in particular the underlined portion.

Eye In The Sky said:
I know the idea of the +1 posts are now a no-no here but thats about all I could say about BMs post.

+1 to your post, in particular the underlined portion.

Yeah, kick whitey out and return to the traditional native religions.

Oh, wait...

Not quite what you meant?

dapaterson said:
Not quite what you meant?

I think we're all supposed to "understand" that he wasn't referring to pseudo-English pubs, Highland games, Carnival, or any use of the French seigneurial or British survey methods for dividing the land (inter alia, of course).    ;D

Well I would much preffer we kick whitey out but I don't think my brothers and I can manage so we take the ong approach.... Cheap smokes and gambeling

Payback is a B1tch for the small pox blankets and fire water!  ;D

Voter turnout - historic vs. today

http://www.sfu.ca/~aheard/elections/historical-turnout.html

histor3.gif

And for 2008:

Polls reporting: 66,215/69,632

Voter turnout: 13,009,994 of 23,401,064 registered electors (55.6%)

http://enr.elections.ca/National_e.aspx

There's probably few, if any, ridings in the country that couldn't have been overturned if the other half of the voters had shown up and voted for the runner-up.

(Edited to update Elections Canada data.)

Michael O`Leary said:

Hear!  hear!  These are the Canadians who ensure that I'm not wasting my time for democracy on foreign shores (though it is a land locked country)

Michael O`Leary said:
Voter turnout - historic vs. today

http://www.sfu.ca/~aheard/elections/historical-turnout.html

histor3.gif

And for 2008:

http://enr.elections.ca/National_e.aspx

There's probably few, if any, ridings in the country that couldn't have been overturned if the other half of the voters had shown up and voted for the runner-up.

(Edited to update Elections Canada data.)

I'm hoping that they go back to the longer polling station hours in BC.  The 7am to 7pm thing very nicely brackets morning and evening rush hours, and Vancouver traffic was absolutely abysmal today.

Cast my ballot with an hour to spare, but if there had been one more stupid driver stalling on the Alex Fraser...

I got home at 2345 last night with all the polls reporting in our part of Leeds-Grenville except one of the advanced polls and it was predicted to go until 0200. We carried all the polls, most with amazingly high numbers (usually three figures) with the other parties in the one and low two figure range. My guesstimate is that our candidate got close to two thirds of the vote across the riding, but that just might be what one would expect when the Liberals and Greens both parachute a candidate into the riding. Our candidate also works extremely hard serving the public, which is the greater part of a MP's duties, regardless of their political leanings. We made a large sign saying "Thank You North Grenville [our municipal title]" and posted it in one of the front windows. After that, pull pole time.

Up at 0520, walked and fed the dog, and on the net. Back over to the office to pack it up this morning and nap time this pm.

Back