• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Battle of Arghandab - June 2008

recce_hopeful18 said:
hey sorry no offence
i have the utmost respect for the men and women in uniform and overseas, didint mean anything by it
Non taken, just trying to help

kilekaldar said:
Does it strike anyone that the media was rubbing their hands with glee when the Taliban bombed the prison? We're almost celebratory when the Taliban claimed to control 5 villages and have 600 fighters in the Argendaub? Notice how they just reported this as fact?
The shrill panicked reaction from some reporters, who kept suggestion that the war was DOOMED because of this stank of self interest and the pursuit of a headline.
Some elements of the Canadian Press seem to have a complicit relationship with the Taliban propaganda machine, they print the propaganda as sensationalist 'news', it creates a negative reaction with the public, the Taliban accomplish their IO objectives, and the Canadian Media sell more ads and more newspapers as a result.
The Canadian Media is after all a big multi-billion dollar business, and something has to feed that ravenous monster.   
I agree to a point. 
I watched Professor Amir Attaran on ctv.  He had a shit-eating grin on his face, as he went on a NATO-bashing rant about God knows what.  His favourite sound byte: "mud walls" (with eyes a'rollin!)  The perception is that the mud is like the mud you get when it rains here in Canada: dry, brittle and falls apart.  I think he forgot that we got tanks over there so that we could FINALLY bust through those "mud" walls (which are in fact several feet thick and like cement: stronger than cinder block, that's for sure!).  They also seem to forget that they used a tanker truck, which would level almost any building in Canada were it to go off "just right".

The other point that comes up, and is rather subtle, is the racism that comes out in the press.  It is almost as though they feel that the Taliban, the brown people that they are, are too stupid to pull one over on us, the white people.  "This was an inside job!" screamed the press.  Why would it have to be an inside job?  I think it was just well planned and well executed.  The plan was simple and effective:
Phase 1: drive tanker truck up to prison doors
Phase 2: blow up said truck
Phase 3: everyone runs out of the prison.
Questions?

Taliban may be thugs and murderers, but they are smart and well-lead.  That's what makes them dangerous.

Today's National Post has a story with a detailed graphic of the area of operations. It is available here: http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/posted/archive/2008/06/17/graphic-prelude-to-a-battle.aspx

The source for the information is cited as The Department of Defence [sic]. Presumably there are no opsec issues, as the occupied localities shown are known by both sides.

To change gear, the media appear to have piled on to a story that combined hints of military incompetence and pending doom. I agree with MR above that the mud wall description is misleading, especially considering what was used to breach the wall. I did see a journalist who was touted as "an expert on Afghanistan" on Mike Duffy Live railing about Canadian incompetence because of the length of time it took to get the QRF launched from the PRT and the lack of response from the troops at KAF. Apparently the fact that the battle group was deployed elsewhere did not figure in this expert's analysis.

CTV is now reporting 48 confirmed Taliban KIAs

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080618/afghan_op_080618/20080618?hub=TopStories

Yeah that force the local villagers out and take on NATO and the ANA in a stand up gun fight tactic really seems to working for them. ::)

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/080618/world/afghan_cda_operation

By The Associated Press
ADVERTISEMENT

ARGHANDAB, Afghanistan - Afghan and Canadian forces moved into villages in the Arghandab district outside Kandahar on Wednesday to root out Taliban militants, killing at least 36 insurgents, the Afghan Defence Ministry said.

The ministry said more than 20 Taliban fighters were killed in the village of Tabin, while 16 fighters were killed in Khohak. Both communities are in Arghandab, a strategic river valley reported infiltrated by Taliban fighters after a dramatic prison break in Kandahar city last Friday.

Two Afghan government soldiers were killed Wednesday, the ministry said in a statement.

Also, 12 insurgents were killed in Maiwand, another district in Kandahar province, the ministry added.

No Canadian or NATO casualties have been reported.

NATO confirmed there were skirmishes in Arghandab but did not mention the number of insurgents killed.

NATO spokesman Mark Laity said alliance troops have exchanged fire with militants during "a few minor contacts" in the district.

"As of this morning we've expanded operations into Arghandab," Laity said.

"Canadian troops are in support of the ANA (Afghan National Army), and operations are under way."

Canadian officials said the operation was aimed at clearing out pockets of insurgents on the northern bank of the Arghandab River.

"We will disrupt the criminals who are intimidating the people and preventing progress," Canadian officials said. "We will continue to take the firm steps necessary to maintain security and assuage the fears of the local population."

Helicopters and jets patrolled the skies and smoke rose from fields after exchanges of fire, an Associated Press reporter at the scene said.

A helicopter was seen landing in a field near the fighting, and large Canadian military vehicles and Afghan police trucks were moving through the region.

The Afghan Defence Ministry said Tuesday that 300 to 400 militant fighters were operating in Arghandab - a lush region of pomegranate and grape fields 15 kilometres northwest of Kandahar city, the Taliban's spiritual home.

Canadian and NATO officials disputed claims that insurgents had gained control of a number of villages. Alliance officials said Taliban strength in the area had been greatly exaggerated.

Afghan officials and witnesses said, however, that Taliban fighters had overrun several Arghandab villages. Local police said hundreds of farm families have fled, fearing possible coming military operations.

The Taliban have long sought to control Arghandab and the good fighting positions its fruit groves offer. Once established, militants could cross the countryside's flat plains for probing attacks into Kandahar, the second-largest city in Afghanistan.

Haji Agha Lalai, a provincial council member and the head of the province's reconciliation commission, which brings former insurgents who lay down their weapons back into the folds of society, said the militants were destroying bridges and planting mines as defensive measures in hopes they could repel attacks from Afghan and NATO forces.

The Taliban assault on the outskirts of Kandahar was the latest display of strength by the militants despite a record number of U.S. and NATO troops in the country. The push into Arghandab came three days after a co-ordinated Taliban attack on Kandahar's prison that freed 400 insurgent fighters.

The hardline Taliban regime, ousted from power in a 2001 U.S.-led invasion of Afghanistan, regarded Kandahar as its main stronghold, and its insurgent supporters are most active in the volatile south of the country.

Elsewhere in Afghanistan, four British soldiers were killed when an explosive was detonated against their vehicle during a patrol in neighbouring Helmand province on Tuesday, the British Ministry of Defence said. At least one soldier was wounded in the blast.

It was one of the deadliest attacks of the year on international troops.

Four U.S. Marines were killed in a roadside bomb in nearby Farah province earlier this month. Prior to that, no more than three international troops had been killed in any one attack in Afghanistan this year.

Give'm hell boys!  >:D

RIP to our fallen allies  :salute: and a speedy recovery to the wounded troop!

Godspeed to all the younger men and women over there.
I'm not a religous person, but it there is a higher power, may he/she protect our troops.

Danjanou said:
I think many will soon be back there........or maybe not >:D

I wouldn't be surprised if last week's prison break prompted an increase in "unfortunate incidents" during capture.

I would like to quote an Amercain General...

"May God have mercy on my enemy, for I will not"
- Gen. Patton Jr.

Targets up  :evil:

A post at The Torch:

Arghandab: Did ANA troops "flee"?
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2008/06/arghandab-did-ana-troops-flee.html

Mark
Ottawa

Quote from The Torch:

Two Afghan battalions participated in the Arghandab attack, but one of them was forced to retreat after coming under heavy fire

Wow.. a battalion retreated after coming under "heavy" fire. The journalist sure does make is sound like the Battle of Stalingrad!
May be someone needs to brush up on The Art of War.  ::)

Listen to Lew Mackenzie's interview on that site.. love it..

I have said it before and will say it again.  The media do NOT work for us. They work for the companies that employ them to help sell advertising.. if newspapers don't sell, then people don't read the ads in em, if no one watches a news report, no one sees the ads during it.  The media is there to sell advertising.  Why do you think Britney Spears' crotch took front page news over any other story that day?? It will SELL MORE ADS.

/end rant.

Sgt  Schultz said:
Quote from The Torch:

Wow.. a battalion retreated after coming under "heavy" fire. The journalist sure does make is sound like the Battle of Stalingrad!
May be someone needs to brush up on The Art of War.  ::)

On Mike Duffy Live there was a report from Alex Panette from Canadian Press which gave more detail of what happened. The Afghan troops tried to make a crossing of the Arghandab River at an exposed location and came under fire from Taliban hiding in the tree line. The Afghan troops had to make a hasty retreat with the aid of smoke drop from helicopters. They were later able to cross the river at a more protected location.

Dog Walker said:
On Mike Duffy Live there was a report from Alex Panette from Canadian Press which gave more detail of what happened. The Afghan troops tried to make a crossing of the Arghandab River at an exposed location and came under fire from Taliban hiding in the tree line. The Afghan troops had to make a hasty retreat with the aid of smoke drop from helicopters. They were later able to cross the river at a more protected location.

As Paul Harvey says, the REST of the story..... 

Good luck to all participating in the fight

not me, I miss helping my buddies and wish I could be there for them but I don't miss that place

Back