• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

the best thing about the navy

LL

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I'm applying to join the navy reserves and just wanted to know if anyone can tell me the best aspects of navy life...(and the worst ones for that matter)

Best Thing- Port visits.  Particularily in Australia or New Zealand  :)

Worst Things- Workups.  You'll find out why...

LL said:
Hi everyone
just wanted to know if anyone can tell me the best aspects of navy life
Well, to add to that, how about what advantages and disadvantages NavRes has over Army or Air Reserve(I'm considering joining when I have the age, but I don't really know what element)

Best things: No tents, Hot Meals, Warm bunks and Cheap booze

Worst things: Time spent away from home, 14 hour days at sea and listening to whiney operators and officers

Navy - snuggle up in tight quarters with men
Army - snuggle up with men outdoors in 2 man hooches
Air force - snuggle up with  ... yourself in a nice hotel room....

DAMN.. why did I go army?

*Edit.. And I'll shoot the first person who says I like to snuggle up to men! (cause thats besides the point) ;D*

Trinity said:
Navy - snuggle up in tight quarters with men
Army - snuggle up with men outdoors in 2 man hooches
Air force - snuggle up with   ... yourself in a nice hotel room....

DAMN.. why did I go army?

*Edit.. And I'll shoot the first person who says I like to snuggle up to men! (cause thats besides the point) ;D*

Padre, you snuggle up with men and you have a thread about breasts going ? 

* watches the sky  for incoming lightning bolts*

If you're going for Navy reserves, you don't have to worry about too many blocks of 14 days at sea.  Typically it is only a week at a time.  Agree with the bonus being duty free, however foreign ports might need another look at.  For West Coast reserves: Seattle, Seattle, oh yeah and Seattle.

Joking aside though.  I have been in the reserves for 14 years and am still happy.  Through training and contracts, amalgamation of trades, old reserve boats gone, new ones here, it's still my life.  The friends you meet and what you learn is something you'll always have.

And like any job, you get out of it what you put into it.  If you find a trade you like, a ship or unit that you are happy at, you're going to enjoy it all, bad or good.

Good luck!

:cdn:
NavyGunner said:
Worst things: Time spent away from home, 14 hour days at sea and listening to whiney operators and officers

NavyGunner expresses one person's opinion, contrary to the model and ideal of teamwork.  The "whiney operators" fight the ship, everyone else supports them.  The "officers" lead the ship's company.  If you cannot buy into that, don't go navy.  I do not know a lot about the naval reserve, but I do know about sense of belonging.  The infantry and a ship's company both enjoy that wonderful product of "esprit de corps" like no one else in the CF.

Good Luck and make your own educated decision  ;)

Bill

NavyGunner said:
Best things: No tents, Hot Meals, Warm bunks and Cheap booze

I concur.

Hello all i hope i dont get in trouble for this post.
I am considering joining the navy, but some people i know are scareing my away, by telling me that all that:

"the navy and military are is you work 20 hours a day, and only interact with military people in your work and social life.
you will no longer get to interact with the civilian world ever again.
You will be a working slave, who all that does is work and work and no fun.
Say good bye to your family as you will never see them if u have them.
your whole like what u eat and breathe is military"

Is that a true description, i totally hope not.

And yes i did look through the forums on here for answers.
Thank you once again, to all of your forum people :cdn:

It all true!!!!!!

Especially working like an overpaid, well fed slave while travelling and being part of history vice watching it on TV and making the best friends you will have.

Sign me up again for the Navy!

No civilian contact..haha...better bring the hand cream and fried chicken out.

It will a long 20 for u but lots of knuckle children.

"20 hour days?" ---once in a while
"No contact with civilian world"? ---untrue
"work, work, and no fun"? ---There's a lot of work, but its often up to you whether its fun or not.
"Never see family"? --- I wouldn't say NEVER...
"Eat and breathe military" ---is that a bad thing?

So much depends on attitude...there are demands that will be put on you that you wouldn't experience in civi-life, but it can be a very rewarding time and experience if you look at it the right way.

Being on ship was honestly the best time I've had in the Marine Corps, working out, running on the flight deck, eating, sleeping, hanging out with your platoon, messing around with the Female Sailors, and of course Libo ports. 

Nothing is more peaceful than looking out onto the open ocean watching the sunset, being on ship is time to reflect onto your life, sitting back smoking in the middle of the night feeling the ship rock side to side listening the to ship move you through the water, I love it. 

If I ever left my beloved Corps, I would take a commission in the Navy,  if I ever won the lottey I buy yacht and sail about world.

A day at sea, is a day added to your life.

Thank you all for your feedback, as far as being on the ship? Do many females join the  Canadian navy? or would i be stuck seeing and only interacting with men only for all the times i spend on the ship out to see?

koss78a said:
Thank you all for your feedback, as far as being on the ship? Do many females join the   Canadian navy? or would i be stuck seeing and only interacting with men only for all the times i spend on the ship out to see?

Mostly men, and stinky, hairy ones at that. Some guys take the occasional water restrictions a little far.   :eek:

I wouldn't join expecting to meet girls, you're better off going to pottery class.

Oh, and my favourite part of sailing, the flying kicks some serious arse! Oh wait, you've got to be Air Force to enjoy that part of sailing.  ;D

I just got sworn into Navy Reserves last week and I'm really excited to go to BMQ and hopefully environmental training this spring and summer. I was wondering how long it will take me to be trained enough to go on a naval boarding party?

"I wouldn't join expecting to meet girls, you're better off going to pottery class."

I knew a absolutely gorgeous woman from sea cadets, who joined the Canadian Navy,,, come to think about there were some hotties from RMC I met as well,,, 

I have met more women in the Canadian Forces, then I have met in Pottery Class,,, join the navy,

Back