• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The C7 Assault Rifle, M16, & AR15 family (C7A1, C7A2, C7 replacment, and C7 vs M16)

• Thread starter Thread starter the patriot
  • Start date Start date
Aussie Peelback? Never heard of that one, but lesson learned folks, we fought the Japs from 42-45, fought in Borneo, and Malaya in the 50s and 60s, Viet Nam 62-73, and in East Timor 99-now. Thats a lot of time in the 'J', but I have to confess, after almost 10 yrs svc heer in Australia, I never heard of that term of Aussie Peelback :D.

The casing deflector on the M16A2 was on the original US trial version by Colt back in 1980-82. Canada just adopted it. The 3rd burst has its advantages, as it allows for better control whn firing bursts. Its effective.

Colt offers the M16A2 with or without burst control. The USMC and US Army have the 3rd burst control, along with the windage and elevation type rear sight. Colt can offer both types of rear sights too.  :gunner:

Cheers,

Wes

On full auto, my C7 was basically uncontrollable. From the hip :gunner:, more control, but God knows where those rounds would go. From the shoulder, nope. I'd try different combinations of hand placement, shoulder strap use, etc. First couple on target and the rest, up and to the right, every time. I'm a fair size guy (6'4" 190 at the time) and I just kept thinking, how'd those guys control this thing when you watch Vietnam video (bearing in mind, different ammunition and rifle) but still. This is when I'd stand at >10m and go through a full mag. Bursting (3-6 +/-) was much more controllable. As it was explained to me, full auto was a measure of last resort (camp penetration) and you didn't really worry about your groupings as much as you wanted to drop the other player and make certain he stayed down. So, I don't know if 3rd burst is a bad thing? I don't have a problem with repeated trigger pull. As long as I have the ammunition.

On the basic (NSN 1005 66 130 1425) Austeyr F88 5.56mm rifle, it has a thing called a single shot lockout located underneath the trigger, and its like a button which moves up and down to lock the rifle for semi auto only. A good trg tool for new soldiers, and can be used as required otherwise. This generic to the Australian rilfe only, but the design was also picked up by Ireland too, so I am told. The ADI made rifle supplied to NZ for example uses a 3 position safety, S-R-and A. However the original Austrian STG77/ AUG uses the two stage trigger set up.

You see to fire on 'auto' on the ADI F88 Aussie version, its a two stage trigger pull, meaning the first pressure at about 4-6 lbs is SA, and the second pressure at about 11 lbs is full auto. Like the German WW2 7.92 x 57mm belt fed MG34 sorta.

So the F88 takes some time to get used to. Australia trains for good battle shots, and rarely on range shoots except jungle lanes do we fire on auto, and even then incontrolled short bursts.

Cheers,

Wes

I've yet to experiment with a "bullpup" and I'm very curious about it. I like the Steyr's, but from what I've read the French FAMAS is an excellent 5.56. It's all academic however, my personal Olympic Arms CAR/15 is semi-automatic only and my groupings with it are nice and tight. So it's seems I've spent most of my time with the C7/M-16 family; so once again, what you use eh?

Curious about the new C7A2.

I just skimmed through these threads. Some interesting thoughts on various topics here.

WRT the Aussie Peelback (which I believe was created by the Aussie SAS in Borneo or Vietnam, hence the name), those who think it's a waste of time are morons. Pure and simple. When people are shooting at you, you do not just run away, that is what gets your people killed. You and your mates put down boat loads of fire and toss several frags and smokes to supress the enemy so you can get the hell out of there. Rifle platoons are rarely if ever going to peelback. Small patrols however, are the majority of the time going to do that because they are just that, small. If you have not supressed the enemy then when you get up to run he will shoot your sorry ass. As another board member stated, there are many variations of it. To each their own. The only thing I will say is that if it's contact front (that includes front left and front right), then every member of the patrol should take a step off the trail left and right alternating so there is a corridor down the middle for the patrol members to run down. If it's contact front and you have the troops run down either the left or right side of the patrol and some bad guys pop up on the sides during the action, you will have a KIA from friendly fire. My section commander during my BMQ a few years ago taught the peelback this latter way, and when I tried to point out to him how that places undue risk to the patrol members I was quickly silenced. Being a recruit obviously I had no clue what I was talking about  ::).

Which leads me to my next point. Those statistics, such as, "US pers. expended XXX number of rounds for each enemy soldier killed." Think about it for a second. What is the majority of our fire used for days? Let's say it together class: supressive fire. So really I don't find it odd at all to have a section expend close to a thousand rounds trying to kill two guys in a trench.

WRT rifles that fire large calibre rounds (i.e. 7.62). Those are called battle rifles. Rifles such as the AR family of weapons, SA80, etc. are called assault rifles. Proper terminology is important for the sake of accurate debate. Yes, 7.62 does have better wounding characteristics than 5.56, but the ammunition is also heavier and bigger (so you cannot carry as much of it). And believe me, you need a lot of ammunition these days (for extended battles like in Somalia, 1993, or to suppress the enemies from time to time; try carrying 10-12 mags of 7.62) As well, battle rifles are typically heavier as well. Try putting on a PEQ-2, Surefire light, scope, etc. on an M14 and come tell me what it adds up to. I think you'll be pretty shocked, and if you aren't, well, you're glad to try humping that beast up and down a mountain for a day and tell me whether you want to stick with it or switch to an M4 or C7A2.

WRT full auto capability vs. 3rnd burst. I've also heard that 3rnd burst was stipulated due to the rate of expenditure of ammunition by US troops in the Vietnam war. It is, however, a capability which should not be in place on an assault rifle. Proper training and trigger control is what needs to be fostered, not an articial constraint. The 3rd burst mechanism in the M16A2 and M16A4 does not have a memory. If you fire a burst and you only have 2 rnds left in your magazine, then change mags and pull the trigger, your weapon will fire only 1 rnd from the newly loaded magazine to complete the burst cycle. Full auto is required to clear trenches still, in some OBUA situations, in the defensive, and to suppress the enemy in certain situations. Obviously you do not fire more than a 2-5 rnd burst from your rifle at ranges more than a few meters away. So to use the excuse that it is wholly inaccurate during long bursts at range as an argument that full auto capability isn't required is a tad foolish. There's a reason US SOF use the full auto capable M4A1 and 22 SAS has switched to the full auto capabile C8 SFW from the M16A2.

Finally, WRT bullpup weapons, the AR family of weapons has a casing deflector. Bullpup weapons have no such feature, and thus if you try to do a cross-shoulder transition with a bullpup weapon be prepared to eat a face full of brass and then get shot while you're dealing with that.

The Austeyr and French FAMAS can be quickly changed for left handed shooters. So no need for any cheeck biting incidents.

Firstly the F88 Austeyr. The rifle has ejection ports on both sides, which can be easily converted over. One is always covered. Then a left handed bolt is used, quicky headspaced (37.41mm HS gauge for you EME armourers out there) by and Armourer, and its done. The EPCs are siliconed in to prevent any cheek nipping by the gun lock assembly should the EPC come loose and be lost.

The French FAMAS is even more simple. A soldier switches the extractor on the bolt to left handed. If memory serves me correctly, as I have not handled and fired one for quite a while, the EPC too is easily converted.

Its only a matter of a few minutes in your in business. However the Malaysian SME AUG is different in you must have a complete left handed butt assembly for Left handed shooters. Their weapons dont even have the provison for an Ejection Port Cover at all.

As for ammo wise, personally I would much rather have twice the ammount ammo and full auto (5.56mm vs 7.62mm NATO ). I have full confidence in the 5.56mm SS109 bullet, and its punch it delivers to the EN.

Steel helmets (US M1) and frag jackets were penetrated at  800metres with the SS109,where the US M193 just dented the helmets in did not go thru the levlar jackets of the day (1981). So, fear naught, and have confidence in your ammo and eqpt!

Cheers,

Wes

:P still cant edit - its kevlar, and I know its supposed to be a k, not an L  - cheers, wes

Little off of your rifle chat.....

There is NO weapon comparable to the H'n K MP5.....limosine of the smg's.....

True Rope, we use em here in many different configurations (SF use), and we at one time had 7.62mm PSG-1s, some even with a poloroid cam to catch 'the long distance connection'.

SMGs do have a purpose, but the 9mm just has no guts (punch) and must be backed up by larger calibre wpns. Of the SMGs I have seen and fired (and there's been a few) the HK MP5 FOW is the RR of them all.  :gunner:

They'll be around for a long time, unlike the Uzi's and Sterlings, STENS, etc which are all but gone now.

Cheers,

Wes

Agreed Wes the MP5 is the premier smg in the world and has its niche role but it could never full the role of sniper rifles and assault rifles. It should be used to its fullest in the role it was made for. Hmmmm for those who advocate niche roles for the CF I think you can draw conclusions from this; if you can't niche roles cannot take the place of what you chop.

Agreed there EX but I tell you what if It was me and you in a dark alley with 20 yards between us I could put out your eyes with an MP5. Thats the role it was designed for. Close and personal. It has no place in land warfare besides the police application it was made for.

An advance to the 'bull pup' design is you get the shortness (the overall length) of a submachine gun (with stock extended), as this comes in handy for anywhere SMG length is appreciated (AFV crews for example) along with the 30rd mag capacity, and the overwhelming range, accuracy, and punch delivered say by the L85A2 (SA80), FAMAS, and the AUG (F88 FOW).

For the lay people, did you now that the 9 x 19mm MP5 fires from a closed bolt  (using the same delayed blowback as the HK33, and G3, PSG-1, and the French FAMAS), and has the same ROF (rate of fire) has the M16A1 rifle!

Traditionally, a 'SMG' fires from an open bolt (PPSH41 [7.62 x 25mm], MP38 & 40, STEN, Sterling, MPK and MPL, Uzi, F1, [all which have the common denominator, the 9 x 19mm ctg, the most universal SMG ctg ever] etc).

Freaky facts: The Sterling mags (10rd, 30rd and 34rd fit in the Australian F1. Even 32rd STEN Mags fit in a Sterling, but Sterling mags dont fit in STENs (go figure).

Sterling facts: The UK Sterling (not the suppressed L34A1) takes the No5 Jungle Carbine bayonet, while the Cdn C1 Sterling, and the Aussie F1 take the C1/L1 bayonet. Although both the UK and Cdn SMGs are based on the same design there is many differences. The UK SMG uses a two piece bolt, the Cdn one piece, the UK and Cdn SMGs have entirely different trigger mechs (but interchange as complete components), and the front sight of the Cdn C1 SMG  is the same as the FN C1A1 rifle, which includes the zeroing screw (also found on the C1 arctic trigger and the C2 front sight ears).

Good ole SMG trivia.

Open bolt SMGs actually fire the ctg before it is entirley chambered, I believe this is called pre-ignation if i remember from armourer terminology.

Anyways, enough of my techo wierdness for tonight.

Cheers,

Wes

What I like about the MP5 is its simplicity its soldier proof.

Out of rounds? Lock the action back and change the clip slap the release and fire away.

OOPS!!!

Weapon on safe ::) then lock the action to rear........

:threat:= the RSO if he heard that......

MP5s are also used by the RAN along with 12ga Rem 870Ps and LM-500 series SGs in their bording parties (also F88s too). The RAN has been very active in the waters off of Iraq. Plenty of work there for the next 100 yrs.

Rope, you are up late ort early! Just after 2040 here on the shortest day of the yr (or longest night) here on a Monday evening, which makes it anywhere from 0240 to 0540 Monday morning depending on where ya are in the dear ole land of the maple leaf.

Anyways I am off to the TV for the night.

Cheers,

Wes

Say EX you sound like you know your way around a Tub.......why do we have C9's on ship? I learned em' now all I do is clean 'em. I cant think of a use for them.....nice little piece of kit though.....

I was on the HMAS Manoora (do a search for her). She is old (1960s) and a former USN ship which the RAN bought and re-fitted. I was not a part of her company, but just on briefly.

The RAN  kitted her out with 12.7 x99mm M2 HBs, Minimis, etc, and carry an Army detachment when deployed.

I was also in the Mess on the HMCS Fraser back in 94 in Halifax too. I was legless after spending less than 10 bucks, as the Coke was more expensive than the rum. I wonder what ever happened to her as she was getting paid off soon. The Russian Navy's Cruiser Ustinov was also there, and the group of us had adopted a couple of Russian sailors and had a party for em at a mates place in Lower Sackville. That was another long day. BTW the Russian ships were the first to enter Halifax in years.

Cheers,

Wes

The STENNIS carrier came in on friday. Those carriers are something else. Quite the spectacle. Flight deck is 1000ft long. I know this is Off topic but I was impressed......until the American sailors hit the town and started drinking Canadian beer....hen poor down town Vic was a warzone......

Although we do not use the C9s a lot, they are an effective weapon to have availble when we are maneuvering in enclosed waters, mounting them on rare occassions on the RHIB for covering boarding ops (only saw that once) and in the event we are involved in landing on a hostiile or potential hostile shore for operations such as evacuating of refugees. A c9 can be a great equalizer for the NLBP equipped with C7s/MP5s and maybe out of range of the ships guns and is light enough not to weigh anyone down and take up too much room.

Wes...one of my first big trips in the navy was to Russian and to this day I think it was the best trip I ever went on. It really changed my views and opinions of the Russian people. I'd go back in a heartbeat, one of the few places that I would never get sick of.

EX have you ever seen the marines with the .50 cals mounted on their RHIBS? Thats an intimidating little boat...

Seen M60s never seen a .50 and I imagine the M240 will be mounted on atheir RHIBs soon enough. :)

Back