• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The C7 Assault Rifle, M16, & AR15 family (C7A1, C7A2, C7 replacment, and C7 vs M16)

:: SiC TRANSiT GLORiA MUNDi :: said:
Oh, sorry. That has nothing to do with the military. Its just that while in cadets, I earned my glider pilot license, but I didn't want to continue to get my power license, and eventually I started to hate flying, so they called me the anti-pilot. I can change it if it's offensive to anyone, or if it has a negative tone.

4SYTH

No i sweat....i was just currious...cheers

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE i CAN FiND iNFORMATiON (AS iN, SPECiFiCATiONS AND NAME OF PARTS) ABOUT THE C7 RiFLE? ANY iNFO iS GREAT.
THANKS!

4SYTH

http://www.army.dnd.ca/ael/pubs/300-008/b-gl-385/001/PT-001/B-GL-385-001-PT-001_e.pdf

coyote said:
I'm a little confused. I have been taught that the weight of the C7 is 3.9 kg and 4.4 kg with the 30 round mag. But than another instructor said it was 3.3 and 3.9. Which is it?

found this while doing some reading....

The rifle weighs 3.3 kg and 3.8 kg with a fully loaded magazine. The weight of
the rifle with C-79 Optical Sight is 3.9 kg and 4.4 kg with a full magazine.

Hope this helps

I have seen a pic of this version of the M16 and the optical site was mounted on top of the iron sites. Does the C7 have a feature like this? I personally think it would be a good idea to have this because from what I've heard with the optical sights it is hard to hit targets at a close range.

Well The C7A1 has a rail so you can put whatever you want on it.

Hey civvy3840,

Do you mean optics mounted on the old carrying handle, like this:

http://images.gunsamerica.com/upload/976378506-1.jpg

?

Upper recievers for M16 and vairants.

In short there are 5 types:

1. With carrying handle (with either round or rectangular hole for optics and mounts and deflectors), no forward assist or deflector, generic rear sight. Used on early Colt XM15's and Colt M16's all pre 1968, plus on commercial SP1 uppers.

NOTE:
........It should be understood that strict guidelines from the US BATF ensured that uppers from comerical AR-15s cannot interchange with the selective fire version. Hence there are some design changes between the two. Such as the 'horse-shoe' milling near the hole for the take down pin on the selective fire version is absent on the commercial AR15, and how they join onto the lower (AR15 SP1 and AR15A2) is different to the selective fire version (screw vs detent). On current modern uppers for semi automatic commercial models, only the horse-shoe has not been milled. The upper and lower now all marry up the same as the military models.

Other differences are the carriers are slightly different (yes they interchange, but semi only can be acquired if inserted inot a military model). Trigger grouping is slightly different, the selector is two positional only, (lower is marked 'safe and fire') and there is areas which are NOT milled and drilled on the commercial lowers. many companies now make many variants of this rflfe and carbine........

Now where were we....  ???

2. With carrying handle (with hole as above), no deflector, forward assist with tear drop type plunger, and generic rear sight. Designated M16A1 upper and post COlt H&R, and GM Hydromatic M16A1s post 1968.

3. With carrying handle (with hole as per para 1), deflector, forward assist with round type plunger, and new type adjustable rear sight (windage and elevation) as used by the USMC and US Army, c.1982

4. As per above with the exception of the old type generic rear sight. As used by Diemaco on the first C7 rifles, c.1985, and Colt M16A2 rifles with specific requests from clients wanting this type of sight on their uppers.

5. Without carrying handle (flat top), with deflector, with forward assist (round type plunger), and a Picatinny Rail permanantly milled onto the upper. This is the latest variant currently under production, and is found on the C7A1, C7A2 (and other Diemaco variants), M4A1, M16A2 and many others.

M4 uppers are discretely marked 'M4' near where the gas tube runs thru the upper, and under close inspection I cannot tell the difference.

Crikey, I hope I am not being to technical for ya's. On a hot day like today, I am tech'n myself out a bit - eek ;D

Cheers,

Wes

M4 or now 4 marked uppers above the cloverleaf have M4 feedramp cuts in the receiver to line up with the M4 bbl extensions whicxh also have deeper cuts than normal. 

Colt Flattops are a different height (go figure) when using a carry handle than fixed handles uppers and require F marked (flattop) front sight gasblocks to set the frotn post for the corretc height using irons (either CH or BIS)

That's pretty much the same pic Freddychef. Thanks for the info Wes. I will some be appleing to the army reserve and was wondering would this be considered costumizing my weapon? Also if I did mount the optical sight on the carrying handle would I have to by a special sight or just use the standard elcan one? One more question. Would I be able to do this for sure if I was in the regs? just wondering cause I've seen pics of guys in the regs with huge optical sites on their rifles. :cdn:

Sorry just one more thing. If you mounted the optical sight on the carying handle like that would it interfere with the iron sights?

thanks to all of you for helping me out :salute:

The mount which fits on teh carrying handle is designed so the operator can also use the original iron sights.

As for mod'n your pers wpn, I don't think that will wash unless authorised using CF related and approved items.

Kevin should be able to fill you in on that.  Iam familiar with ADF policy, but being out of the CF loop for over 10 yrs now, I don't really have a clue.

Best to use what you are issued.

Cheers,

Wes

Kevin B would PPCLI alow some to put optics on the carrying handle? What other modifications would you be able to do??

civvy3840 said:
Kevin B would PPCLI alow some to put optics on the carrying handle? What other modifications would you be able to do??

Depending what you are doign and where you are will dictate.

We dont have carry handle guns anymore - all are flattops.  We have a lot of leeway on optics as long as they are US or CF issue (I've seen Aimpoints, EoTechs, ACOG's and Leupold variable power scopes been authorized)

Putting a scope up on the carry handle is not ideal for many reason - the increase in height over bore increases the offset for different ranges makign a zero at one less close to zeros at others than a sight closer to the bore.  Secondly it causes turkey necking and lack of a good cheek weld.

We dont have carry handle guns anymore

Well, to be precise, the original recipe pencil barrel C8 is still in use, although they are becoming 2nd line training weapons mostly.

Ive seen the c7a1 and c7a2 in action. I also have extensive knowledge of all the diemaco family of weapons. It seems the c7a1 and c7a2 are both very reliable and well built weapons, but it seems that the c7a1 is growing older, and as the new c7a2's have been scaled down, have added features, and are better to use in close combat, which we are going to be taking part in alot in the next few years. I think that one of the major things the government should be doing is replacing all the c7a1's with a2's ASAP!

Hunter :threat:

I know this is a long thread, it has taken me a while to read it.  The trouble with replacing A1 with A2 is many fold.  Read KevinBs web site or Dale Mc's post at SFU but if they permit me to paraphrase:

1. The A2 isn't really new, many parts, including barrels were at the point of wearing out when I left 8 years ago.  Just recycling isn't on.

2. The 20" barrel is too long and needs to be replaced with a 16" heavy.

3. The handguard needs to be replaced with a true RAS, the half assed rails at the gas block are inadequate or worse than nothing.

4. The C79 sight, even if improved has lost all credibility with the infantry. No matter how many improvements are made no one will/can ever trust it.  There are plenty of better units out there now and really the cost to outfit every infanteer reg and reserve is just a drop in the preverbial bucket.

5.  That extended cocking handle is crazy.  Who ever had a problem working the action with just their left hand anyway.

Remember, whatever the forces buy will be around for a long time.  Better to stop the A2 now and purchase that C8SFW now.  It's already in the system, the mods to make it perfect aren't hard.  I know it isn't likely, but the more people who know about this and ask questions, or get others involved the better chance for the infantry getting what they want.

Steve

Anyone here (lefties aside) exited at all about the ambidextrous features of the A2s? Personally I've never had any problems with an old scholl safety catch or mag release.

Back