• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Canadian Armed Forces modernizes military ranks in French

So, I am not a lawyer. But the NDA has a schedule that defines the ranks of the CAF, and an article of the NDA that says "You may use other designations of rank, provided they are in accordance with regulations made by the Governor in Council (GiC)" (paraphrase of NDA 21(2)).

Are these designations of rank? If so, QR&O volume I chapter 3 article 3.01 needs to be amended by the GiC. If they aren't designations of rank, then what are they?

Any lawyers want to weigh in?

Awkward Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

It doesn't fly because French (currently) has gendered nouns, pronouns, and adjectives.

This is not specifically a Quebec thing - French (as in France) military has "mon [higher rank]" for the Army (and Air Force I think) regardless if they're referring to a male or female (or non-binary, I suppose) person.

The protocol in the French military is different depending on gender. For example, you would address a male captain as "mon capitaine" and a female captain as "capitaine". The "mon" is not "my" per se but is a diminutive of "monsieur" (Mr. Captain); in proper French useage (i.e., what l’Académie says) with some exceptions calling someone "Madame Le Capitaine" refers to the spouse of a captain.

some protocol notes on use of ranks (in French)

According to my Canadian Oxford (which is getting a little old now) "aviator" is defined as "an airplane pilot" and NOT a private who flies in or might work on planes. There is also a definition for "aviatrix" which is "a female airplane pilot".

The French Air Force uses "aviateur" as the rank for their privates equivalent. It is also so noted as a secondary definition in the primary French dictionaries and on l’Académie française site.

Last edited:
If we are going to add gender, the English rank might as well follow the RAF: Aircraftman/ aircraftwoman.

So, I am not a lawyer. But the NDA has a schedule that defines the ranks of the CAF, and an article of the NDA that says "You may use other designations of rank, provided they are in accordance with regulations made by the Governor in Council (GiC)" (paraphrase of NDA 21(2)).

Are these designations of rank? If so, QR&O volume I chapter 3 article 3.01 needs to be amended by the GiC. If they aren't designations of rank, then what are they?

Any lawyers want to weigh in?
That’s my read as well, unless QR&O is amended, using the new ranks is ever so slightly illegal, just like those similarly illegal ‘pirate ranks’ for junior naval personnel. It being championed by higher leadership is also ever so slightly an act of rebellion against the civilian authority responsible for that QR&O (in this case, cabinet).

I’m not a lawyer, just a (very slight) maverick and a rebel. I also sometimes cross the shoelaces on my oxfords.

No non-binary ranks? Guess we don't want to be TOO inclusive.
I am indeed quite perplexed by this.

It runs contrary to the spirit of the directive that we are to write PERs and PDRs in gender-neutral form, and contrary to the new English naval ranks.

What do I call a French Lt(N) who does not identify as either gender? What if they look like a woman but don't identify as one? Did I just misgender them? If I'm their superior, did I just violate their charter rights as per the modifications provided by Bill C-16?

Not to mention, I don't think ''Lieutenante-Générale'' makes any grammatical sense at all. Lieutenant-Générale would've been better in my view. ''Lieutenant'' here qualifies the noun ''Général''. Pluriel des mots composés - Le Conjugueur

The French language in inherently gendered.
As is the German. It's one of those European things. Woke people will have things to grouse about for decades if not centuries to come.

This is what happens when you have a generation of people who, in the words of the immortal Baba O'Riley, don't have to be "out here in the fields" to "fight for [their] meals" and just have too much time on their hands.

😉

As is the German. It's one of those European things. Woke people will have things to grouse about for decades if not centuries to come.

This is what happens when you have a generation of people who, in the words of the immortal Baba O'Riley, don't have to be "out here in the fields" to "fight for [their] meals" and just have too much time on their hands.

😉

Because it can't be an Irish rock video unless there's toddlers throwing things at soldiers; the Devil's Causeway, and; red mess kit ;)

😉

Back