• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The CFS Alert Merged Thread

Release Section said:
When I was last in Alert (97) smoking was inside ONLY.   I haven't smoked for years but seem to recall that there was a potential problem with all the spilled fuel frozen into the ground.   Is this possible?   During the dark months it could get pretty #@*! cold on the lungs.  

Yup.... you said it. Because of a very big fuel spill some years back it isn't safe to smoke outside. Because of permafrost the fuel never really completely dissapated.

Latest from CFS Alert
As of 2.5 Weeks ago, the room off The Wolf Den is now the indoor smoking room with exhust fans. 

armybuck041 said:
Yup.... you said it. Because of a very big fuel spill some years back it isn't safe to smoke outside. Because of permafrost the fuel never really completely dissapated.

There have been more recent spills (large) during my tour of Alert (summer 97?) we had a wind storm with over 120 Mph winds, the resultant damage was manageable except for the "small bulk tank" down on the airfield (my guess is it was a 2000 gallon tank). Well the tank sat stil no problem... but the pumphouse shed that dispensed the fuel was torn from it's footings and the building and meter head went sailing "were not in Kansas anymore Toto"... do ya think there was a shut off valve located at the tank? NOPE! All gone! 2000 gallons of gassoline (at least) added to the allready contaminated Arctic landscape!

During that summer tour I had to watch a wolf cub die a slow and horrible death ( disgusting display of indecision on the part of the SWO) This poor unfortunate creature was burned during a "routine" burning of the camps lumber scraps, at that point he was the last of a family of 5 that I had been keeping an eye on... one by one before my tour was over... there were NO wolves left in CFS Alert :(

I "rode the big bird home" .. where do you think I managed to find a place to lie down once we were airborne? ... You guessed it.. on top of the "paul bunion" that contained the burned and now frozen carcass of a dead Arctic Wolf Cub, it was a very sour counterpoint to what I consider my most meaningfull 6 months in an allmost 12 year career.

zardoz

PPCLI Guy said:
I vote for the establishment of a Designated Fat Pill Room, right next to the smoking area...

You must have been reading my mind. I swear!!! It's worse in the Mo....I've not quite wrapped my mind around the fact that the ones who can't walk 50m without wheezing are also the ones who smoke like chimneys and suck the grease traps at McGag & Hacks clean with a straw.

Hi all, I have yet another question about the CFS Alert tour.
I was just wondering, for those of you who have been, what kind of work up training, if any, is required?
How did they prepare you for the cold?

Thanks for your help.

-KaT

They will issue you cold weather gear before posting you to Alert, on arrival you will be
briefed on saftey measures and how to move around the station in various weather conditions.

Relax and enjoy the tour.

Regards OLD F of S

Wow, I wish I had the time to take that tasking....too much time to be away from school.  I heard it's a really good go though, make the most of it, and learn a lot!  It is very valuable training for sure!

Yeah, the tasking is a GD tasking I heard.
I wanted to go for the March tour, but I have to finish school. so I am hoping there will be another roto in September.
**Crosses Fingers**

-KaT

Where did you learn about the Alert tasking, work in Alberta with 41 Cbg Brid, where in the country are you learning of this stuff, wouldn't mind hearing more info about the tasking.

Cheers

Really? I heard it was supposed to start in May...

I heard about this tasking as well, it was presented at a debrief at the end of a parade night at the unit, I believe it's for 2 GD positions starting in May.

Both PteKec and myself are in 70 Comm Gp, the army reserve bde in my area is 32 Bde if that's any help.

Sig Bloggins is right, we were briefed on it at the end of a parade night.
They are looking for Ptes and Cpls, for GDs. Sounds like a great tasking, even if your just a GD.

-KaT

We were told 6 months. I wouldn't mind doing it either, except for school getting in the way.

I believe it was given out to all Comm Reserve units, 74 Comm Gp received it as well....darn school!

Oh yeah, sure would be an amazing tour to go on....hopefully it will be offered again in the near future...anytime after Aug would be great! :D

-KaT

The Alert tour is up to 6 months, with a possible voluntary 3 month extension.  When I was up there, the GD positions were for Reg Force combat arms trades (ie. an arty and armoured pers).  There were approx 60 pers there, but I don't think any reservists.  They are always hurting for people to go up there, so that must be why they have opened it up to the reserves. 
It's not too bad of a go.........I was there in total darkness, and that can play strange games on the mind, but overall, it could have been worse.  It's a small, close-knit bunch up there, and you develop a real sense of family during your tour.  That being said, it was a good experience, but I would not like to go back up there anytime soon.  Hey, at least you get an LTA now.

:cdn:

Last I heard, they were looking or 2 ptes-cpls to go for 3 months I believe, 4 people from my unit put in there name for mid-Aug. I'm hoping to get on the tour, I would love to go.
What kind of stuff did you do up there?
and, I'm not quite sure what LTA is?

Anyways, thanks.

-KaT

I worked at the power plant, aka "The Cat House".  It was shift work at the time, then it went to straight days, but I think it is back to shift work after the fire a couple of years ago. 
LTA= Leave Travel Allowance, and is basically a 2-3 week trip out of Alert around the middle of your tour.  You won't need this though, because you only get it if you're up there for the full six months (but maybe only 4 months now). 
The life of the GD is good. Their "handles" are Crusher and ????(I'm drawing a blank on the other nickname).  You would be responsible for all the garbage and waste destruction/incineration, but it's a max-relax job-----debatabley worth every penny of your extra $17/day northern allowance.
Tours are continuous, so if you don't get this one, keep your name in and you might get one down the road.  If you're married, it can be pretty tough; you're only allowed one 15 minute phone call a day, but I think they have email up there now.

Yeah I know the tours are continuous. I'm taking a year of school to go on a tour or tasking, so the Alert tour was my first choice, I have heard pretty good things about it.
I guess considering I'm a GD garbage crushing sounds like fun lol.
I am hoping for the 6 month tour.
Thanks for the help.

-KaT

Back