• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The CFS Alert Merged Thread

TFC Tech said:
Anyone know if there is any positions for a traffic tech?
Coyote and Roadrunner positions.  Loading and unloading A/C on plane day.  Tfc techs usually come from Trenton though.....

Alert 98. And our GD people had a blast too (2 Cpls out of 2 RCHA - one's now an ammo tech, and a PPCLI Cpl).

Excellent tour. Roadrunner was a MCpl Tfc Tech. Coyote was a Cpl Tfc Tech....I was the Zippo.

BYT can you confirm that Roadrunner is a MCpl now? They were talking downgrading it to another Cpl posn when I was there.

Here's a pic of the fun you can have in Alert!!!

VernSwimminginAlert.jpg

And here's another (please ignore the...yikes...blue!!)

VernactuallyworkinginAlert_0002.jpg

Customs:

VerndoingcustomsinAlert_0005.jpg

My butt!!

VernsButtinAlert.jpg

edit: Ok I'm an idiot. Before you spend 30 minutes writing a lengthy post make sure you check the date of the post you are replying to. Lesson learned

career_radio-checker said:
edit: Ok I'm an idiot. Before you spend 30 minutes writing a lengthy post make sure you check the date of the post you are replying to. Lesson learned

That's OK.  ;D Here's a pic of one of those Arctic foxs for you.....It did not take my beer....only my sandwhich!!

MylunchDonottouchmybeer_0003.jpg

Alert 2003
Roadrunner was MCPL and Coyote was CPL.  As far as I know they haven't downgraded yet.  Last I heard was that all military were out of there and it's going ASD.  Rumour??!!
Nice pics, Canada Day?  Pic 1, I thought it was foolish to go skinny dipping???  
Pulling hose looks good on ya.  
Umm, pic 3, is that a barf bag???  heehee
Thanks for the memories.....

The Librarian said:
That's OK.  ;D Here's a pic of one of those Arctic foxs for you.....It did not take my beer....only my sandwhich!!

MylunchDonottouchmybeer_0003.jpg
Eureka or Alert???
If it's Alert, that little one had lots of pups when I was up there.  She hid them under the old CE building. Had to dodge pups when doing the garbage run. 

Vern......i wonder if that fox of yours is a distant cousin of this little bastard i met on Shemya island

BYT Driver said:
Eureka or Alert???
If it's Alert, that little one had lots of pups when I was up there.  She hid them under the old CE building. Had to dodge pups when doing the garbage run. 

That's Alert in July. Dumbell Lake...picnicking, sledding the BVs down the hill, and hiking the ice cave. We also attempt to hook up a sail to the chairs to skate across the lake on.... a very interesting day indeed.

The picture down below of me swimming was 01 July...it was a balmy 4 degrees that day so I couldn't resist!! I got to go in by myself because I was the lifeguard on scene for the rest of them who went in on the annual polar bear dip shortly afterwards... I don't have any of those pics here in my apt....there all at the house in Gagetown, same with my Op Hurricane Eureka pics.

Aaah, Canada Day on Dumbell Lake.  Me and a friend went on a hike around the lakes all day.  Got soaked feet but had a great time.  Actually saw a pair of Canada Geese on the lake.
Later, off to snooze now.....

cdnaviator said:
Vern......i wonder if that fox of yours is a distant cousin of this little ******* i met on Shemya island

Hey it's possible!! Did you see a massive rabbit too? Holy crap...shorrtly after the fox left an absolutely evil arctic hare showed up walking on it's hind legs....I've got a pic of it somewhere....but I'm a heck of alot further away....cause I ran away!! Those were evil!!

How is Alert for the whole 'contact with the outside world' thing (internet, phones, mail et cetera)...?

Just heard of a possible position up there on GD.... looking at how it'd affect school and such, and kinda considering it at this point...

Alert is the most jammy place there is, Every house(barrack bloc) has 1-2 computers with the internet or games, phones in every room, and you get 30 min every day, a TV in your room with 2 french and  4 English channels where they play DVDs movies 24/7, one live English and french channel where they pump in the news, sports, Showcase on Friday nights OH la la.  It is like staying at a isolated resort with free food and all the beer you can buy, all you have to do is work.

I'd be interested in trying a 2 or 3 week trek through Quttinirpaaq park. Or a traverse of the island and bagging Mt Barbeau on the way.
http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/nu/quttinirpaaq/index_e.asp

Any advice from those who've 'been there done that' on recommended trips and times of year? I understand that April/May would likely be a ski trip, and that late July/ early August is probably the best time in summer (or am I wrong?). I'm not too interested in paying the $7,000 for a guided trip so would go self-supported with a couple of other guys.

Flying there also costs a fortune. Is there any way I could get up and back from there on a military flight?

Thanks!

Quttinirpaaq National Park of Canada

It was called Ellesmere Island National Park when I was there in 1999. I was super fortunate to spend two weeks at Tanquery Fiord (Lake Hazen) as part of OP Hurricane 99.  We were doing the mid point fueling for the Griffions and Twin Otters and some other GD stuff.

I went on a couple of excursions to Airforce Glacier and to Kettle Lake to check some emergency caches in the park. It was an excellent experience for me.

The point I wanted to bring up as I relive some glory, is that military groups came through from Leitrim and NDHQ as part of adventure training. So it is possible to do through the CF.

PM me and I can send you some pics , as they are too big to attach to this post.

GD Knight

I'm about to leave to go to Alert for three months (very excited!) and I was wondering if I could learn from the experience of others. If you have been to Alert, and you got some interesting stories that I could learn from or laugh at, please let me know!!!
:cdn:

What position are you taking?  If it's the ATIS techs job, you'll do some outdoor work going to check the retrans site.  If it's GD, then you'll be put to good work cleaning and whatever the SWO wishes.  Some of the techs that were there with me NEVER left the habitat from the day they got there to the day they left, poor losers , I worked outside everyday and loved it.  Cold! You'll get used to it.  Dark! holy doodle, that will firig with your mind if you're not watching.
Tv, Movies, internet, the bar, wood hobby club, sewing...if you can think of a hobby, you can do it there...try to stay away from the constant drinking, it's said that Alert can make you an alcoholic if you're not careful.  Keep busy, they have a great storm gym there and all kinds of things to do. 
Oh, and don't play with the company ink well !!!
Cheers, BYTD

Back