• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Depression / Anti Depressants Merged Thread

PharmO

I agree with you that no one should be trying to panic new recruits. The aim of my posts was to emphasize that it is important that one is forthcoming in regards to situations like this. The fact is that after you enroll you are subject to different rules and regulations than as a civilian and it seems to me that you are far better off going into the forces straight up, in other words don‘t try to hide something that may be esy to deal with.

On the other hand people have been charged in the past for possessing prescription drugs without a valid prescription of a CF doctor or permission from one at the least. That is not to say that anyone caught with Advil will get charged but the way the regulations are written it is possible.

I think we have both been trying to get the same message across. By straight up with the recruiting office and if you have concerns as you go along in your career talk to a doctor or social worker, but why take the change of doing something that looks suspicious and could cause you grief in the long run.

Kurbo- if you do a search for ‘antidepressants‘ there are a few previous posts on the topic (ie from a year ago). Allan is right, there are hundreds of ppl in the military currently taking them (my ex used to work in a military pharmacy and also said they were among the most commonly prescribed meds).

The problem for us is that military medical standards are much more stringent when being recruited than when you‘re in. Depression is a big no-no to the folks in Borden- for whatever reason. Same with asthma and many other easily treated conditions. The military just doesn‘t want to deal with it unless they have to (ie you‘re already in).

I have a friend who was going through the process last year (reserves) because she was on paxil she was told she was not suitable.
In such an emotionally driven carreer such as the CF, I think its important to be of all things stable. At the beginning anyways!.
Also remember all that paperwork we signed, stating that we were disclosing all information to the best of our knowledge. Honesty and Integrity are important aspects of this job and should not be taken lightly.
Dont get me wrong im sure your a great applicant, but I dont agree with how you handled yourself during the recruitment stages.

Originally posted by Hayleylisa:
[qb] Kurbo- if you do a search for ‘antidepressants‘ there are a few previous posts on the topic (ie from a year ago). Allan is right, there are hundreds of ppl in the military currently taking them (my ex used to work in a military pharmacy and also said they were among the most commonly prescribed meds).

The problem for us is that military medical standards are much more stringent when being recruited than when you‘re in. Depression is a big no-no to the folks in Borden- for whatever reason. Same with asthma and many other easily treated conditions. The military just doesn‘t want to deal with it unless they have to (ie you‘re already in). [/qb]
Thank-you very much Lisa for your input. If I give a nutshell of the situation when I began the meds, maybe you can give me an idea (or your opinion) of where I might stand now. It wasn‘t actually depression I had, but a bit of anxiety. It was brought on by a trying relationship, a recent rejection on a police force application, and legitimate fear of a job lay-off. I just felt on edge about these issues (with good reason in my mind) and decided to consult w my Doc about the stress. Within 10 min of my visit, he had me on Paxil. In retrospect, his bedside manner was lacking. Given society‘s broader acceptance of mental ailments such as anx/depress‘n, I thought it was ok. A year ago, I cut my dosage in half. When I visited with my new Dr a couple of weeks ago to bring him the recruiting follow-up letter, he concluded that it should be ok for me to be completely off the meds in 6-8 weeks. I‘m thinking 4-6. I don‘t consider myself someone who is afflicted by anxiety or depression on a constant basis. I basically had some tough stress. My Doc also seem to give the impression that I didn‘t need the pills anymore. My plan all along was to eventually be off Paxil; I just wasn‘t in any rush.

I realize you aren‘t in recruiting, but anything you can offer would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks,
K.

Originally posted by soon to be:
[qb] I have a friend who was going through the process last year (reserves) because she was on paxil she was told she was not suitable.
In such an emotionally driven carreer such as the CF, I think its important to be of all things stable. At the beginning anyways!.
Also remember all that paperwork we signed, stating that we were disclosing all information to the best of our knowledge. Honesty and Integrity are important aspects of this job and should not be taken lightly.

Dont get me wrong im sure your a great applicant, but I dont agree with how you handled yourself during the recruitment stages. [/qb]
Hello, I was wondering if you were directing the comments in the last paragraph to me or someone else?

Thanks,
K.

:-[ :-\ I am worried about my medical.  I will be quit personal about this because I need an answer.  Don't think I'm some kind of weirdo though.  In the past I have had ADHD and Depression.  Not sure If I really still have either.  I  received quiet decent grades in high school but had trouble with talking alot during class, I could however concentrate plenty enough to thouroughly understand the work.  Now that I'm out, there's no where that it's really a problem. As for the depression, I still take meds for it.  I don't know if they actually do anything anymore, if they do theyre doing a fantastic 110% job at it.  What I would like to know is if I'm going to be discriminated  (if thats the right word) against for it?????  Im also a certified lifeguard and swim instructor,....that's gotta count for something right????  Somebody please help me out, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks a bunch. Peace

Hi Charlie just be honest with your recruiter and discuss your situation...when you go for the medical you have to tell them what medication you are on and you have to tell them...they may want you to get a letter from your doctor explaining your condition so if I were you I'd make an appointment with your doc around or just after your medical so he can write something down for you to give to the recruiter's...hope this helps and good luck. :)

Charlie,

This is an idea you would want to bring up with the recruiter first, to make sure will be useful:

If I was in your shoes, I would definitely get a note from my doctor, but I would also consider going to a psychological clinic and having an evaluation conducted. They way you can arm yourself with a note from a psychologist stating your current mental health state. (Who knows, you may discover that you don't need the medication anymore) That may alleviate any concerns that CFRC may have about a past history of depression. You could probably have an evaluation conducted within one or two sessions, don't know about the cost, but it would not be too much I suspect.

Just an idea, don't know if would actually help or not. Give it some thought and talk to your recruiter about it before you do anything though.

:-\

Hi there,

I recently applied to the CF and was denied because of my depression.  To be specific, you must be off of medication and symptom free for at least a year before you can reapply.  Of course, doctors notes and possibly psychiatric notes will be wanted.  Also, it took them 6 months to figure out that I wasn't an acceptable candidate at that time, even though I was upfront about my depression when the whole process started.

My advice to you, is talk to a doctor, see if you can get off the medication and possibly arrange a time to get a psychiatric review done.  There is hope, I have waited a year and am now reapplying. 

Hope this helps,  good luck!

I need some help.  I have applied to the reserve force for a position in an armoured regiment via the DEO program.  I am 34 years old, and have completed all of the initial application stages (ie. PT test, medical).  My file has been reviewed in Borden and I have received a letter from one of the doctors in Borden informing me that I have been rejected for medical reasons but that my application may be â Å“reconsideredâ ?. 

My former family doctor put me on anti-depressants in January 2003.  My father had died and my business went under, and he felt I needed them.  I had no history of depressive episodes previously.  I took his advice.  I felt better after a few months, but my doctor believed I should stay on the drugs, despite my insistence that I felt I didn't need them anymore.  I changed family doctors in January 2004 (I thought my previous GP was a bit too eager to prescribe medication), and was told that I should never have been put on the meds in the first place.  I have been off the medication for eight months now and have had no recurrence of any symptoms.  The letter I received from Borden stated that, due to the fact that I had been diagnosed with depression, that I was deemed unfit for service but that my application could be â Å“reconsideredâ ? if I remain medication/symptom free for one year and submit an assessment from my doctor. 

I can certainly understand why the military imposes such conditions on recruits and I do not dispute their legitimacy.  What I want to know is how likely it is that the doctors in Borden will reconsider their decision if I am medication and symptom free for one year.  Do these letters get issued often?  Do the doctors reconsider their decisions often?  Is it possible that I may still be enrolled and given an offer, or am I just pursuing an impossibility?  I would like to keep trying, and am happy to comply with the wait period, but I would like some indication that I am not wasting my time.  Thanks.

Out comes of the board  are reviewed often as long as the individual re-submits the application. By all means re apply in one year. If you feel that that decision is faulty then you can still request to be reviewed by an army Psychiatrist for a professional opinion. The other option is to have your case reviewed by a civi Phychiatrist and have that report forwarded to be attached to you file.

Good luck

Thank you for your reply.  That is encouraging.  Does anyone have any idea how often a re-application is successful?  Is it very difficult to change their minds?  I would rather avoid the cost of seeing my own psychiatrist, but am happy to do so if that is what it takes to convince the Army that I am not a risk. 

I don't know how often they change their decisions but in lite of the information you gave on this forum it would not hurt to try.

I think that if you get a referral from your GP your visit to the shink will be covered under your provincial health plan but those are different for each province.

Daveman: The best thing you can do to prepare for a re-application is to come armed with as much information and evidence as possible. Get your doctor to write up that you were misdiagnosed with depression (if this is the case) and the anti-depressants were unnecessary. Have documented evidence from your doctor of everything, and keep copies after you application goes in. Documents can go missing, and it never hurts to have a backup. The more prepared you are for the process, the easier it will be for you in the long run, and the better chance you have of turning their heads. If they see you put a ton of foresight and effort into your application, it will definitely help your chances.

Charlie: The first, and most important thing you must do before you apply is to actually find out whether you have ADHD or depression. Many doctors these days can be very quick to over-medicate kids, and it's entirely likely you have neither. Find a psychiatrist in your area or get a referral to one from your family doctor. Mention your history of medication, and have them give you a formal diagnosis of your condition, if any.

If you do not, in fact, have either, then have your doctor or psychiatrist wean you off the anti-depressants. Get documented evidence that you do not have clinical depression or ADHD, when you stopped taking meds, any adverse effects etc. etc.. In all likelihood, until you are off anti-depressants and sympton free for a while (usually a year), the CF will not let you in. If you still want to join, wait until a year after you got off meds, get all the documents pertaining to your condition from your doctor(s), and present it to the recruiting staff performing the medical exam. Like I keep telling everyone; the more valid, documented evidence you have that you're ok, the better your chances. Just saying you're fine is one thing, but a formal letter from a psychiatrist saying you're fine is what they'll pay attention to.

Another thing to do would be to seriously reevaluate your diet and excercise regemin.

Alot of kids diagnosed as depressed, hyperactive or ADD are simply eating too much crap, experiencing the sugar induced euphoria/crash, lacking excercise as well to regulate hormones and sitting in front of the TV too much.

Take a good hard look at your lifestyle - make any appropriate changes, determine if you are addicted to any food type/food allergy, determine if you consume too much alchohol, if you are involved in sports etc.  Then, if you are seriously feeling better you should follow up with your doctor.

NOTE - Do NOT go off meds without consulting your doc first.  There are many withdrawl symptoms associated with most Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors.  He may wean you off or reduce your dose.  Get your physician involved and ensure he gives you more than 3 minutes!

Mr. Ted

Charlie said:
I am worried about my medical.

In the past I have had ADHD and Depression. Not sure If I really still have either.

As for the depression, I still take meds for it. I don't know if they actually do anything anymore, if they do theyre doing a fantastic 110% job at it.

What I would like to know is if I'm going to be discriminated (if thats the right word) against for it?????

Charlie, you have good reason to worry. The regular force will NOT take you if you have had a Dx of depression and have been requiring medications to control in within the last yr....as many others may have told you.
If you do not get selected for this reason do not dispair. There is a really good reason for this:
Currently, the number one cause of death amongst CF soldiers is:

no, not accidents, as is the case amongs non military people of the same age, but....suicide.

The CF is very serious about this issue and it is a real problem especially amongst deployed soldiers. So if you have already applied, expect to be denied, ask what you can do to be accepted, and reapply later.

In the meantime go to university or college and get an education...it shall not be a waste while you wait....

Good luck.

Now for the rant.... :rage:

Pieman said:
Charlie,

This is an idea you would want to bring up with the recruiter first, to make sure will be useful:

Is this what you did?

Pieman said:
If I was in your shoes,

You NOT!!! If you were you'd see how silly your suggestion was in relation to what he was asking....
Get a note from you're doctor? Is that like a note from your mommy giving you permission to show up at school late? Like the CF will make a decision on employing a person for the next 25 yrs with a simple note from a doctor.
Last time I checked, just a "note" wouldn't be accepted by DMed Pol or Recruit Boards. Being actual doctors they like to see testing and other scientific evidence that you are fit.

And more then anything else: :rage: :rage:

Pieman said:
Just an idea, don't know if would actually help or not. Give it some thought and talk to your recruiter about it before you do anything though.

If your not going to give good advice and just spout off Pieman, why don't you just close your pie hole.

combatmedic:  I just read your post.  Thanks very much for your help.  I am seeing my family doctor for a referral next week and I will inquire of her regarding a letter outlining her position on this.  I will definitely keep your advice in mind.  Thanks again.

:-\ Wooo..dude relax...whatever people said was just fine, they were just tryin to help.  Thanks for everyones imput. Ill have to wait till november to do my interview and such since i live in a remote community.  So I went to a phsychiatrist and he said i have very very very mild adhd and tourettes, which by 22 (when my brain is fully matured) will be all gone. He is going to right up a report which (he said, I have not read it yet), will say what i wrote above as well as  that if he were the military doctor he does not see any reason that i should not be accepted into the army.  And I have not had any signs of depression since i was 12 or 13 ...I am 18 now. And he's going to start taking me off the meds. Which supposedly werent for the depression but rather the adhd...which doesnt seem to be a problem anymore.  So thanks again everyone.  And lets just all get along, it makes it more pleasant for everyone.  Peace

Back