• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The education bubble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thucydides said:
Since my sample is the junior leadership and junior officer candidates that I have taught over the years, I can say with confidence that as the years pass they are less able to do course work (since the MLP's change at a fairly slow rate, I can see the amount of struggle increasing). If they have trouble doing military course work, then their educational grounding is insufficient.

Given the old high school texts and lesson plans were much more rigorous, then I stand on my conclusion that students who have difficulty doing "today's" work would be unable to do work at the equivalent grade level from the past.

As a BTW, I note that lots of things which were standard in the past like Languages (especially "dead" languages like Latin) are either optional or no longer taught at all.

[a] Maybe we don't attract the 'cream of the crop' as they are looking for more?  [no insult intended]

[b} How many lesson plans from today have you studied?...classes have you sat in?.........methinks from your small input stream a course in statistics would eat your theory alive.

[c] Good, I'd rather have them study something useful.

Within a course some terms might have specific meanings they don't necessarily have in wider use or knowledge might be assumed to be limited vs more extensive. Questions in homework or exams are meant to be done in the content of the course and outside of it might be confusing. This can skew our perception of difficulty. Questions for more general consumption should be written differently.

An example of a statistics question:

For the data given provide:
(grade school) 1. Three measures of central tendency.

The student has been taught only three measures of central tendency or even just three things to calculate from a list of values. So the question requires them to list and calculate them. Those past the course likely don't remember what measure of central tendency means in this context even if they do remember the measures(mean, mode and median). Those with more knowledge might wonder if the question wants the Geometric mean, Harmonic mean and Weighted mean or if they can give any 3 of the various central tendency measures that can be calculated. 

-------

For the above reasons it can be misleading to read old homework and test questions. I will say students today get less practice performing calculations without calculators than those in the past. That is supposed to be countered by more practice in estimation to check results but it is often skipped in practice. For example when told to graph a simple function they should sketch it first, then use the calculator but often use it first followed by sketching what it shows.

i should have taken detailed notes over the last 20 years, but I have taught both regular force and reserve candidates; leadership candidates who are also students attending college, university and RMC as well as high school, so I have a pretty large "sample" in terms of numbers, backgrounds and over time from which to judge.

As for the modern lesson plans, I take great interest in my children's education (prompted by my daughter. We had to leave the Montessori system when she was in grade 6 due to limited resources, and her first day in grade six public school ended with her complaining she had learned all that stuff in grade 4), and insist on seeing as much as possible, and interviewing her teachers during the occasions we can get access to them (which is indicative of another problem).

As for things like Latin, it is more illustrative of the breadth and depth of the old education programs, rather than suggesting we re introduce Latin. As a counterpoint, I am now reading that education is narrowing to indoctrination into "Social Justice" philosophy. Both BC and now Ontario have been experimenting with having all lessons plans in every subject be infused with "Social Justice" principles and concepts. A recent Macleans magazine had a long article about that, and it should prompt some hard questions from parents everywhere.

I think it is waste, a more unproductive than average waste, to compare generations. I was educated in the 1940s and '50s. My sone were educated in the 1970s and '80s and now my friends children, aged 12 and 14 are in 7th and 9th grades respectively in Texas.

I am, broadly, impressed with what's in the modern Texas curriculum. I'm a little less impressed by how it is taught but I am also conscious of the trade-offs.

For example: I am a big believer in the value of rote-drill type instruction to equip a person to do some mental tasks quickly and accurately. The business of memorizing the times tables and memorizing Shakespeare, for example. I think a grownup, a functioning adult, should be able to do quick, correct calculations without (at least not obviously) counting on his or her fingers. I think one should be able to remember a reasonably long list - say five or six items - for recall later in the day. I note that my friend's children can do this and are thought to be extraordinarily bright; they aren't terribly bright (both went into the "gifted" programme because they had the top marks in the early grades, not because they 'tested' as gifted). Both have excellent memory skills because both have had to learn to read and write Chinese and that is 99.99% a function of brute force memorization. They both have very good memory skills, they can remember what they are told and they can relate it to things they learn later - both are still at the top of their respective grades because they work hard, have good mental discipline and are curious, not because either has an especially high IQ.

But: if you are going to make children recite pages and pages of Henry V, as I had to do, then there will not be time for Steinbeck. If you want both Shakespeare and Steinbeck, as they do in Texas in Grade IX, then memorization and recitation is not possible.

And don't forget this.

Not really privy to the current conversation, but to the topic nonetheless. Here is a very insightful video is circulating amongst my university friends now, the key message is "redefine education."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_ZmM7zPLyI

My new favourite quote, "if education is the key, then school is the lock."

E.R. Campbell said:
And don't forget this.

I guess that could be considered new math if you were over 50.  I'm in my early 40s and that was what I was taught in the mid 70s.  I would hardly call 3 1/2 decades ago new. 

I find it crazy and absurd that the dude singing the song, who is likely a teacher, considers this new math.  I learned this before a lot of teachers working today were even born.

ballz said:
Not really privy to the current conversation, but to the topic nonetheless. Here is a very insightful video is circulating amongst my university friends now, the key message is "redefine education."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_ZmM7zPLyI

My new favourite quote, "if education is the key, then school is the lock."

Not sure what to think of that.  I want to hear him out and I'm trying see the validity, but my practical side is telling me he is naive and full of crap.  He is trying to compare all people going through university to some of the greatest and most accomplished geniuses of all time. He calls himself educated and says "now let's look at the statistics", then immediately follows that up by mentioning a half of dozen outliers that have no relevance to statistics.

As if this next generation's egos haven't been padded enough by hyper-parenting, now they are starting to believe it.  This kid wants statistics?  The average person isn't that good.  Even the exceptional are below the 95th %, and the likelyhood of being a superstar like the people he mentions is probably somewhere around 0.0001% (one/million), and that's probably being generous.

**DISCLAIMER** Yes, those numbers were pulled out of my backside, but they're a helluva lot closer to the truth than his ideas. **DISCLAIMER**

Valiant effort, but a miss for me.

GnyHwy said:
I guess that could be considered new math if you were over 50.  I'm in my early 40s and that was what I was taught in the mid 70s.  I would hardly call 3 1/2 decades ago new. 

I find it crazy and absurd that the dude singing the song, who is likely a teacher, considers this new math.  I learned this before a lot of teachers working today were even born.

Tom Leher peaked as a musician/satirist in the 1960s (and retired from performing in the early '70s) and he was, indeed, a mathematician and teacher. He is still popular with some who were born in the 1930s and 40s.

This is from the same era:

6dbca4d0d8dc012fe652001dd8b71c47

Long article from "The American Interest" on how Universities are going to change (and a look at some of the perverse incentives that have made the current system dysfunctional). Canadian Universities will be under the same sorts of pressures, and will evolve in a similar fashion. Our own training will also evolve in a similar fashion for many of the same reasons, although we still have a long way to go to get the on line learning part down. Anyone involved ion developing DL's should have a look at sites like the ones outlined here and the Khan Acadamy to see what good on line learning looks like:

Part 1
http://the-american-interest.com/article.cfm?piece=1352

The End of the University as We Know It
Nathan Harden

In fifty years, if not much sooner, half of the roughly 4,500 colleges and universities now operating in the United States will have ceased to exist. The technology driving this change is already at work, and nothing can stop it. The future looks like this: Access to college-level education will be free for everyone; the residential college campus will become largely obsolete; tens of thousands of professors will lose their jobs; the bachelor’s degree will become increasingly irrelevant; and ten years from now Harvard will enroll ten million students.

We’ve all heard plenty about the “college bubble” in recent years. Student loan debt is at an all-time high—an average of more than $23,000 per graduate by some counts—and tuition costs continue to rise at a rate far outpacing inflation, as they have for decades. Credential inflation is devaluing the college degree, making graduate degrees, and the greater debt required to pay for them, increasingly necessary for many people to maintain the standard of living they experienced growing up in their parents’ homes. Students are defaulting on their loans at an unprecedented rate, too, partly a function of an economy short on entry-level professional positions. Yet, as with all bubbles, there’s a persistent public belief in the value of something, and that faith in the college degree has kept demand high.

The figures are alarming, the anecdotes downright depressing. But the real story of the American higher-education bubble has little to do with individual students and their debts or employment problems. The most important part of the college bubble story—the one we will soon be hearing much more about—concerns the impending financial collapse of numerous private colleges and universities and the likely shrinkage of many public ones. And when that bubble bursts, it will end a system of higher education that, for all of its history, has been steeped in a culture of exclusivity. Then we’ll see the birth of something entirely new as we accept one central and unavoidable fact: The college classroom is about to go virtual.

We are all aware that the IT revolution is having an impact on education, but we tend to appreciate the changes in isolation, and at the margins. Very few have been able to exercise their imaginations to the point that they can perceive the systemic and structural changes ahead, and what they portend for the business models and social scripts that sustain the status quo. That is partly because the changes are threatening to many vested interests, but also partly because the human mind resists surrender to upheaval and the anxiety that tends to go with it. But resist or not, major change is coming. The live lecture will be replaced by streaming video. The administration of exams and exchange of coursework over the internet will become the norm. The push and pull of academic exchange will take place mainly in interactive online spaces, occupied by a new generation of tablet-toting, hyper-connected youth who already spend much of their lives online. Universities will extend their reach to students around the world, unbounded by geography or even by time zones. All of this will be on offer, too, at a fraction of the cost of a traditional college education.

How do I know this will happen? Because recent history shows us that the internet is a great destroyer of any traditional business that relies on the sale of information. The internet destroyed the livelihoods of traditional stock brokers and bonds salesmen by throwing open to everyone access to the proprietary information they used to sell. The same technology enabled bankers and financiers to develop new products and methods, but, as it turned out, the experience necessary to manage it all did not keep up. Prior to the Wall Street meltdown, it seemed absurd to think that storied financial institutions like Bear Stearns and Lehman Brothers could disappear seemingly overnight. Until it happened, almost no one believed such a thing was possible. Well, get ready to see the same thing happen to a university near you, and not for entirely dissimilar reasons.

The higher-ed business is in for a lot of pain as a new era of creative destruction produces a merciless shakeout of those institutions that adapt and prosper from those that stall and die. Meanwhile, students themselves are in for a golden age, characterized by near-universal access to the highest quality teaching and scholarship at a minimal cost. The changes ahead will ultimately bring about the most beneficial, most efficient and most equitable access to education that the world has ever seen. There is much to be gained. We may lose the gothic arches, the bespectacled lecturers, dusty books lining the walls of labyrinthine libraries—wonderful images from higher education’s past. But nostalgia won’t stop the unsentimental beast of progress from wreaking havoc on old ways of doing things. If a faster, cheaper way of sharing information emerges, history shows us that it will quickly supplant what came before. People will not continue to pay tens of thousands of dollars for what technology allows them to get for free.

Technology will also bring future students an array of new choices about how to build and customize their educations. Power is shifting away from selective university admissions officers into the hands of educational consumers, who will soon have their choice of attending virtually any university in the world online. This will dramatically increase competition among universities. Prestigious institutions, especially those few extremely well-endowed ones with money to buffer and finance change, will be in a position to dominate this virtual, global educational marketplace. The bottom feeders—the for-profit colleges and low-level public and non-profit colleges—will disappear or turn into the equivalent of vocational training institutes. Universities of all ranks below the very top will engage each other in an all-out war of survival. In this war, big-budget universities carrying large transactional costs stand to lose the most. Smaller, more nimble institutions with sound leadership will do best.

This past spring, Harvard and MIT got the attention of everyone in the higher ed business when they announced a new online education venture called edX. The new venture will make online versions of the universities’ courses available to a virtually unlimited number of enrollees around the world. Think of the ramifications: Now anyone in the world with an internet connection can access the kind of high-level teaching and scholarship previously available only to a select group of the best and most privileged students. It’s all part of a new breed of online courses known as “massive open online courses” (MOOCs), which are poised to forever change the way students learn and universities teach.

One of the biggest barriers to the mainstreaming of online education is the common assumption that students don’t learn as well with computer-based instruction as they do with in-person instruction. There’s nothing like the personal touch of being in a classroom with an actual professor, says the conventional wisdom, and that’s true to some extent. Clearly, online education can’t be superior in all respects to the in-person experience. Nor is there any point pretending that information is the same as knowledge, and that access to information is the same as the teaching function instrumental to turning the former into the latter. But researchers at Carnegie Mellon’s Open Learning Initiative, who’ve been experimenting with computer-based learning for years, have found that when machine-guided learning is combined with traditional classroom instruction, students can learn material in half the time. Researchers at Ithaka S+R studied two groups of students—one group that received all instruction in person, and another group that received a mixture of traditional and computer-based instruction. The two groups did equally well on tests, but those who received the computer instruction were able to learn the same amount of material in 25 percent less time.

The real value of MOOCs is their scalability. Andrew Ng, a Stanford computer science professor and co-founder of an open-source web platform called Coursera (a for-profit version of edX), got into the MOOC business after he discovered that thousands of people were following his free Stanford courses online. He wanted to capitalize on the intense demand for high-quality, open-source online courses. A normal class Ng teaches at Stanford might enroll, at most, several hundred students. But in the fall of 2011 his online course in machine learning enrolled 100,000. “To reach that many students before”, Ng explained to Thomas Friedman of the New York Times, “I would have had to teach my normal Stanford class for 250 years.”
Based on the popularity of the MOOC offerings online so far, we know that open-source courses at elite universities have the potential to serve enormous “classes.” An early MIT online course called “Circuits and Electronics” has attracted 120,000 registrants. Top schools like Yale, MIT and Stanford have been making streaming videos and podcasts of their courses available online for years, but MOOCs go beyond this to offer a full-blown interactive experience. Students can intermingle with faculty and with each other over a kind of higher-ed social network. Streaming lectures may be accompanied by short auto-graded quizzes. Students can post questions about course material to discuss with other students. These discussions unfold across time zones, 24 hours a day. In extremely large courses, students can vote questions up or down, so that the best questions rise to the top. It’s like an educational amalgam of YouTube, Wikipedia and Facebook.

Among the chattering classes in higher ed, there is an increasing sense that we have reached a tipping point where new interactive web technology, coupled with widespread access to broadband internet service and increased student comfort interacting online, will send online education mainstream. It’s easy to forget that only ten years ago Facebook didn’t exist. Teens now approaching college age are members of the first generation to have grown up conducting a major part of their social lives online. They are prepared to engage with professors and students online in a way their predecessors weren’t, and as time passes more and more professors are comfortable with the technology, too.

In the future, the primary platform for higher education may be a third-party website, not the university itself. What is emerging is a global marketplace where courses from numerous universities are available on a single website. Students can pick and choose the best offerings from each school; the university simply uploads the content. Coursera, for example, has formed agreements with Penn, Princeton, UC Berkeley, and the University of Michigan to manage these schools’ forays into online education. On the non-profit side, MIT has been the nation’s leader in pioneering open-source online education through its MITx platform, which launched last December and serves as the basis for the new edX platform.

Part 2:

Hold on there a minute, you might object. Just as information is not the same as knowledge, and auto-access is not necessarily auto-didactics, so taking a bunch of random courses does not a coherent university education make. Mere exposure, too, doesn’t guarantee that knowledge has been learned. In other words, what about the justifiable function of majors and credentials?

MIT is the first elite university to offer a credential for students who complete its free, open-source online courses. (The certificate of completion requires a small fee.) For the first time, students can do more than simply watch free lectures; they can gain a marketable credential—something that could help secure a raise or a better job. While edX won’t offer traditional academic credits, Harvard and MIT have announced that “certificates of mastery” will be available for those who complete the online courses and can demonstrate knowledge of course material. The arrival of credentials, backed by respected universities, eliminates one of the last remaining obstacles to the widespread adoption of low-cost online education. Since edX is open source, Harvard and MIT expect other universities to adopt the same platform and contribute their own courses. And the two universities have put $60 million of their own money behind the project, making edX the most promising MOOC venture out there right now.

Anant Agarwal, an MIT computer science professor and edX’s first president, told the Los Angeles Times, “MIT’s and Harvard’s mission is to provide affordable education to anybody who wants it.” That’s a very different mission than elite schools like Harvard and MIT have had for most of their existence. These schools have long focused on educating the elite—the smartest and, often, the wealthiest students in the world. But Agarwal’s statement is an indication that, at some level, these institutions realize that the scalability and economic efficiency of online education allow for a new kind of mission for elite universities. Online education is forcing elite schools to re-examine their priorities. In the future, they will educate the masses as well as the select few. The leaders of Harvard and MIT have founded edX, undoubtedly, because they realize that these changes are afoot, even if they may not yet grasp just how profound those changes will be.
And what about the social experience that is so important to college? Students can learn as much from their peers in informal settings as they do from their professors in formal ones. After college, networking with fellow alumni can lead to valuable career opportunities. Perhaps that is why, after the launch of edX, the presidents of both Harvard and MIT emphasized that their focus would remain on the traditional residential experience. “Online education is not an enemy of residential education”, said MIT president Susan Hockfield.
Yet Hockfield’s statement doesn’t hold true for most less wealthy universities. Harvard and MIT’s multi-billion dollar endowments enable them to support a residential college system alongside the virtually free online platforms of the future, but for other universities online education poses a real threat to the residential model. Why, after all, would someone pay tens of thousands of dollars to attend Nowhere State University when he or she can attend an online version of MIT or Harvard practically for free?

This is why those middle-tier universities that have spent the past few decades spending tens or even hundreds of millions to offer students the Disneyland for Geeks experience are going to find themselves in real trouble. Along with luxury dorms and dining halls, vast athletic facilities, state of the art game rooms, theaters and student centers have come layers of staff and non-teaching administrators, all of which drives up the cost of the college degree without enhancing student learning. The biggest mistake a non-ultra-elite university could make today is to spend lavishly to expand its physical space. Buying large swaths of land and erecting vast new buildings is an investment in the past, not the future. Smart universities should be investing in online technology and positioning themselves as leaders in the new frontier of open-source education. Creating the world’s premier, credentialed open online education platform would be a major achievement for any university, and it would probably cost much less than building a new luxury dorm.
Even some elite universities may find themselves in trouble in this regard, despite their capacity, as noted, to retain the residential norm. In 2007 Princeton completed construction on a new $136 million luxury dormitory for its students—all part of an effort to expand its undergraduate enrollment. Last year Yale finalized plans to build new residential dormitories at a combined cost of $600 million. The expansion will increase the size of Yale’s undergraduate population by about 1,000. The project is so expensive that Yale could actually buy a three-bedroom home in New Haven for every new student it is bringing in and still save $100 million. In New York City, Columbia stirred up controversy by seizing entire blocks of Harlem by force of eminent domain for a project with a $6.3 billion price tag. Not to be outdone, Columbia’s downtown neighbor, NYU, announced plans to buy up six million square feet of debt-leveraged space in one of the most expensive real estate markets in the world, at an estimated cost of $6 billion. The University of Pennsylvania has for years been expanding all over West Philadelphia like an amoeba gone real-estate insane. What these universities are doing is pure folly, akin to building a compact disc factory in the late 1990s. They are investing in a model that is on its way to obsolescence. If these universities understood the changes that lie ahead, they would be selling off real estate, not buying it—unless they prefer being landlords to being educators.

Now, because the demand for college degrees is so high (whether for good reasons or not is not the question for the moment), and because students and the parents who love them are willing to take on massive debt in order to obtain those degrees, and because the government has been eager to make student loans easier to come by, these universities and others have, so far, been able to keep on building and raising prices. But what happens when a limited supply of a sought-after commodity suddenly becomes unlimited? Prices fall. Yet here, on the cusp of a new era of online education, that is a financial reality that few American universities are prepared to face.

The era of online education presents universities with a conflict of interests—the goal of educating the public on one hand, and the goal of making money on the other. As Burck Smith, CEO of the distance-learning company StraighterLine, has written, universities have “a public-sector mandate” but “a private-sector business model.” In other words, raising revenues often trumps the interests of students. Most universities charge as much for their online courses as they do for their traditional classroom courses. They treat the savings of online education as a way to boost profit margins; they don’t pass those savings along to students.

One potential source of cost savings for lower-rung colleges would be to draw from open-source courses offered by elite universities. Community colleges, for instance, could effectively outsource many of their courses via MOOCs, becoming, in effect, partial downstream aggregators of others’ creations, more or less like newspapers have used wire services to make up for a decline in the number of reporters. They could then serve more students with fewer faculty, saving money for themselves and students. At a time when many public universities are facing stiff budget cuts and families are struggling to pay for their kids’ educations, open-source online education looks like a promising way to reduce costs and increase the quality of instruction. Unfortunately, few college administrators are keen on slashing budgets, downsizing departments or taking other difficult steps to reduce costs. The past thirty years of constant tuition hikes at U.S. universities has shown us that much.

The biggest obstacle to the rapid adoption of low-cost, open-source education in America is that many of the stakeholders make a very handsome living off the system as is. In 2009, 36 college presidents made more than $1 million. That’s in the middle of a recession, when most campuses were facing severe budget cuts. This makes them rather conservative when it comes to the politics of higher education, in sharp contrast to their usual leftwing political bias in other areas. Reforming themselves out of business by rushing to provide low- and middle-income students credentials for free via open-source courses must be the last thing on those presidents’ minds.

Nevertheless, competitive online offerings from other schools will eventually force these “non-profit” institutions to embrace the online model, even if the public interest alone won’t. And state governments will put pressure on public institutions to adopt the new open-source model, once politicians become aware of the comparable quality, broad access and low cost it offers.

Part 3:

Considering the greater interactivity and global connectivity that future technology will afford, the gap between the online experience and the in-person experience will continue to close. For a long time now, the largest division within Harvard University has been the little-known Harvard Extension School, a degree-granting division within the Faculty of Arts and Sciences with minimal admissions standards and very low tuition that currently enrolls 13,000 students. The Extension School was founded for the egalitarian purpose of making the Harvard education available to the masses. Nevertheless, Harvard took measures to protect the exclusivity of its brand. The undergraduate degrees offered by the Extension School (Bachelor of Liberal Arts) are distinguished by name from the degrees the university awards through Harvard College (Bachelor of Arts). This model—one university, two types of degrees—offers a good template for Harvard’s future, in which the old residential college model will operate parallel to the new online open-source model. The Extension School already offers more than 200 online courses for full academic credit.

Prestigious private institutions and flagship public universities will thrive in the open-source market, where students will be drawn to the schools with bigger names. This means, paradoxically, that prestigious universities, which will have the easiest time holding on to the old residential model, also have the most to gain under the new model. Elite universities that are among the first to offer robust academic programs online, with real credentials behind them, will be the winners in the coming higher-ed revolution.
There is, of course, the question of prestige, which implies selectivity. It’s the primary way elite universities have distinguished themselves in the past. The harder it is to get in, the more prestigious a university appears. But limiting admissions to a select few makes little sense in the world of online education, where enrollment is no longer bounded by the number of seats in a classroom or the number of available dorm rooms. In the online world, the only concern is having enough faculty and staff on hand to review essays, or grade the tests that aren’t automated, or to answer questions and monitor student progress online.
Certain valuable experiences will be lost in this new online era, as already noted. My own experience at Yale furnishes some specifics. Through its “Open Yale” initiative, Yale has been recording its lecture courses for several years now, making them available to the public free of charge. Anyone with an internet connection can go online and watch some of the same lectures I attended as a Yale undergrad. But that person won’t get the social life, the long chats in the dinning hall, the feeling of collegiality, the trips around Long Island sound with the sailing team, the concerts, the iron-sharpens-iron debates around the seminar table, the rare book library, or the famous guest lecturers (although some of those events are streamed online, too). On the other hand, you can watch me and my fellow students take the stage to demonstrate a Hoplite phalanx in Donald Kagan’s class on ancient Greek history. You can take a virtual seat next to me in one of Giuseppe Mazzota’s unforgettable lectures on The Divine Comedy.

So while it can never duplicate the experience of a student with the good fortune to get into Yale, this is an historically significant development. Anyone who can access the internet—at a public library, for instance—no matter how poor or disadvantaged or isolated or uneducated he or she may be, can access the teachings of some of the greatest scholars of our time through open course portals. Technology is a great equalizer. Not everyone is willing or capable of taking advantage of these kinds of resources, but for those who are, the opportunity is there. As a society, we are experiencing a broadening of access to education equal in significance to the invention of the printing press, the public library or the public school.

Online education is like using online dating websites—fifteen years ago it was considered a poor substitute for the real thing, even creepy; now it’s ubiquitous. Online education used to have a stigma, as if it were inherently less rigorous or less effective. Eventually for-profit colleges and public universities, which had less to lose in terms of snob appeal, led the charge in bringing online education into the mainstream. It’s very common today for public universities to offer a menu of online courses to supplement traditional courses. Students can be enrolled in both types of courses simultaneously, and can sometimes even be enrolled in traditional classes at one university while taking an online course at another.

The open-source marketplace promises to offer students additional choices in the way they build their credentials. Colleges have long placed numerous restrictions on the number of credits a student can transfer in from an outside institution. In many cases, these restrictions appear useful for little more than protecting the university’s bottom line. The open-source model will offer much more flexibility, though still maintain the structure of a major en route to obtaining a credential. Students who aren’t interested in pursuing a traditional four-year degree, or in having any major at all, will be able to earn meaningful credentials one class at a time.

To borrow an analogy from the music industry, universities have previously sold education in an “album” package—the four-year bachelor’s degree in a certain major, usually coupled with a core curriculum. The trend for the future will be more compact, targeted educational certificates and credits, which students will be able to pick and choose from to create their own academic portfolios. Take a math class from MIT, an engineering class from Purdue, perhaps with a course in environmental law from Yale, and create interdisciplinary education targeted to one’s own interests and career goals. Employers will be able to identify students who have done well in specific courses that match their needs. When people submit résumés to potential employers, they could include a list of these individual courses, and their achievement in them, rather than simply reference a degree and overall GPA. The legitimacy of MOOCs in the eyes of employers will grow, then, as respected universities take the lead in offering open courses with meaningful credentials.

MOOCs will also be a great remedy to the increasing need for continuing education. It’s worth noting that while the four-year residential experience is what many of us picture when we think of “college”, the residential college experience has already become an experience only a minority of the nation’s students enjoy. Adult returning students now make up a large mass of those attending university. Non-traditional students make up 40 percent of all college students. Together with commuting students, or others taking classes online, they show that the traditional residential college experience is something many students either can’t afford or want. The for-profit colleges, which often cater to working adult students with a combination of night and weekend classes and online coursework, have tapped into the massive demand for practical and customized education. It’s a sign of what is to come.

What about the destruction these changes will cause? Think again of the music industry analogy. Today, when you drive down music row in Nashville, a street formerly dominated by the offices of record labels and music publishing companies, you see a lot of empty buildings and rental signs. The contraction in the music industry has been relentless since the Mp3 and the iPod emerged. This isn’t just because piracy is easier now; it’s also because consumers have been given, for the first time, the opportunity to break the album down into individual songs. They can purchase the one or two songs they want and leave the rest. Higher education is about to become like that.

For nearly a thousand years the university system has looked just about the same: professors, classrooms, students in chairs. The lecture and the library have been at the center of it all. At its best, traditional classroom education offers the chance for intelligent and enthusiastic students to engage a professor and one another in debate and dialogue. But typical American college education rarely lives up to this ideal. Deep engagement with texts and passionate learning aren’t the prevailing characteristics of most college classrooms today anyway. More common are grade inflation, poor student discipline, and apathetic teachers rubber-stamping students just to keep them paying tuition for one more term.

If you ask students what they value most about the residential college experience, they’ll often speak of the unique social experience it provides: the chance to live among one’s peers and practice being independent in a sheltered environment, where many of life’s daily necessities like cooking and cleaning are taken care of. It’s not unlike what summer camp does at an earlier age. For some, college offers the chance to form meaningful friendships and explore unique extracurricular activities. Then, of course, there are the Animal House parties and hookups, which do take their toll: In their research for their book Academically Adrift, Richard Arum and Josipa Roksa found that 45 percent of the students they surveyed said they had no significant gains in knowledge after two years of college. Consider the possibility that, for the average student, traditional in-classroom university education has proven so ineffective that an online setting could scarcely be worse. But to recognize that would require unvarnished honesty about the present state of play. That’s highly unlikely, especially coming from present university incumbents.

The open-source educational marketplace will give everyone access to the best universities in the world. This will inevitably spell disaster for colleges and universities that are perceived as second rate. Likewise, the most popular professors will enjoy massive influence as they teach vast global courses with registrants numbering in the hundreds of thousands (even though “most popular” may well equate to most entertaining rather than to most rigorous). Meanwhile, professors who are less popular, even if they are better but more demanding instructors, will be squeezed out. Fair or not, a reduction in the number of faculty needed to teach the world’s students will result. For this reason, pursuing a Ph.D. in the liberal arts is one of the riskiest career moves one could make today. Because much of the teaching work can be scaled, automated or even duplicated by recording and replaying the same lecture over and over again on video, demand for instructors will decline.

Who, then, will do all the research that we rely on universities to do if campuses shrink and the number of full-time faculty diminishes? And how will important research be funded? The news here is not necessarily bad, either: Large numbers of very intelligent and well-trained people may be freed up from teaching to do more of their own research and writing. A lot of top-notch research scientists and mathematicians are terrible teachers anyway. Grant-givers and universities with large endowments will bear a special responsibility to make sure important research continues, but the new environment in higher ed should actually help them to do that. Clearly some kinds of education, such as training heart surgeons, will always require a significant amount of in-person instruction.

Big changes are coming, and old attitudes and business models are set to collapse as new ones rise. Few who will be affected by the changes ahead are aware of what’s coming. Severe financial contraction in the higher-ed industry is on the way, and for many this will spell hard times both financially and personally. But if our goal is educating as many students as possible, as well as possible, as affordably as possible, then the end of the university as we know it is nothing to fear. Indeed, it’s something to celebrate.

GnyHwy said:
Not sure what to think of that.  I want to hear him out and I'm trying see the validity, but my practical side is telling me he is naive and full of crap.  He is trying to compare all people going through university to some of the greatest and most accomplished geniuses of all time. He calls himself educated and says "now let's look at the statistics", then immediately follows that up by mentioning a half of dozen outliers that have no relevance to statistics.

As if this next generation's egos haven't been padded enough by hyper-parenting, now they are starting to believe it.  This kid wants statistics?  The average person isn't that good.  Even the exceptional are below the 95th %, and the likelyhood of being a superstar like the people he mentions is probably somewhere around 0.0001% (one/million), and that's probably being generous.

**DISCLAIMER** Yes, those numbers were pulled out of my backside, but they're a helluva lot closer to the truth than his ideas. **DISCLAIMER**

Valiant effort, but a miss for me.

I *think* you're taking this artists words too literally and missing the actual picture he tried to paint. He's not trying to say everyone should drop out of school and they'll become a Steve Jobs or Bill Gates.

I take a few simple points from it, stuff we've mostly already said.

"Redefine how you view education. Understand it's true meaning. Education is not just about regurgitating facts from a book or someone's else's opinion on a subject to pass an exam."

While this may seem obvious, there's a lot of people my age who are oblivious to it. Due to being grown up to believe "education is the key," but being misled to think that meant a Bachelor's degree. I can tell you this video was spreading like wildfire amongst my age group who know they've been taken for a ride for 4 or more years. His words certainly resonate with people 18-25 years old.

And yes, statistics was probably a poor word choice ;D

Another alternative model of education. Based on living through "Death by Powerpoint" here at PSTC, I could go for this model of the "flipped" classroom, and it may certainly have validity in the way we do training delivery in many trades and specialties:

http://news.yahoo.com/teachers-flip-flipped-learning-class-model-233848813.html

Teachers flip for 'flipped learning' class model
By CHRISTINA HOAG | Associated Press – Sun, Jan 27, 2013.. .

SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) — When Timmy Nguyen comes to his pre-calculus class, he's already learned the day's lesson — he watched it on a short online video prepared by his teacher for homework.

So without a lecture to listen to, he and his classmates at Segerstrom Fundamental High School spend class time doing practice problems in small groups, taking quizzes, explaining the concept to other students, reciting equation formulas in a loud chorus, and making their own videos while teacher Crystal Kirch buzzes from desk to desk to help pupils who are having trouble.

It's a technology-driven teaching method known as "flipped learning" because it flips the time-honored model of classroom lecture and exercises for homework — the lecture becomes homework and class time is for practice.

"It was hard to get used to," said Nguyen, an 11th-grader. "I was like 'why do I have to watch these videos, this is so dumb.' But then I stopped complaining and I learned the material quicker. My grade went from a D to an A."

Flipped learning apparently is catching on in schools across the nation as a younger, more tech-savvy generation of teachers is moving into classrooms. Although the number of "flipped" teachers is hard to ascertain, the online community Flipped Learning Network now has 10,000 members, up from 2,500 a year ago, and training workshops are being held all over the country, said executive director Kari Afstrom.

Under the model, teachers make eight- to 10-minute videos of their lessons using laptops, often simply filming the whiteboard as the teacher makes notations and recording their voice as they explain the concept. The videos are uploaded onto a teacher or school website, or even YouTube, where they can be accessed by students on computers or smartphones as homework.

For pupils lacking easy access to the Internet, teachers copy videos onto DVDs or flash drives. Kids with no home device watch the video on school computers.

Class time is then devoted to practical applications of the lesson — often more creative exercises designed to engage students and deepen their understanding. On a recent afternoon, Kirch's students stood in pairs with one student forming a cone shape with her hands and the other angling an arm so the "cone" was cut into different sections.

"It's a huge transformation," said Kirch, who has been taking this approach for two years. "It's a student-focused classroom where the responsibility for learning has flipped from me to the students."

The concept emerged five years ago when a pair of Colorado high school teachers started videotaping their chemistry classes for absent students.

"We found it was really valuable and pushed us to ask what the students needed us for," said one of the teachers, Aaron Sams, now a consultant who is developing on online education program in Pittsburgh. "They didn't need us for content dissemination, they needed us to dig deeper."

He and colleague Jonathan Bergmann began condensing classroom lectures to short videos and assigning them as homework.

"The first year, I was able to double the number of labs my students were doing," Sams said. "That's every science teacher's dream."

In the Detroit suburb of Clinton Township, Clintondale High School Principal Greg Green converted the whole school to flipped learning in the fall of 2011 after years of frustration with high failure rates and discipline problems. Three-quarters of the school's enrollment of 600 is low-income, minority students.

Flipping yielded dramatic results after just a year, including a 33 percent drop in the freshman failure rate and a 66 percent drop in the number of disciplinary incidents from the year before, Green said. Graduation, attendance and test scores all went up. Parent complaints dropped from 200 to seven.

Green attributed the improvements to an approach that engages students more in their classes.

"Kids want to take an active part in the learning process," he said. "Now teachers are actually working with kids."

Although the method has been more popular in high schools, it's now catching on in elementary schools, said Afstrom of the Flipped Learning Network.

Fifth-grade teacher Lisa Highfill in the Pleasanton Unified School District said for a lesson about adding decimals, she made a five-minute, how-to video kids watched at home and in class, then she distributed play money and menus and had kids "ordering" food and tallying the bill and change.

A colleague who teaches kindergarten reads a storybook on video. The video contains a pop-up box that requires kids to write something that shows they understood the story.

The concept has its downside. Teachers note that making the videos and coming up with project activities to fill class time is a lot of extra work up front, while some detractors believe it smacks of teachers abandoning their primary responsibility of instructing.

"They're expecting kids to do the learning outside the classroom. There's not a lot of evidence this works," said Leonie Haimson, executive director of Class Size Matters, a New York City-based parent advocacy group. "What works is reasonably sized classes with a lot of debate, interaction and discussion."

Others question whether flipped learning would work as well with low achieving students, who may not be as motivated to watch lessons on their own, but said it was overall a positive model.

"It's forcing the notion of guided practice," said Cynthia Desrochers, director of the Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching at California State University-Northridge. "Students can get the easy stuff on their own, but the hard stuff should be under the watchful eye of a teacher."

At Michigan's Clintondale High School, some teachers show the video at the beginning of class to ensure all kids watch it and that home access is not an issue.

In Kirch's pre-calculus class, students said they liked the concept.

"You're not falling asleep in class, "said senior Monica Resendiz said. "You're constantly working."

Explaining to adults that homework was watching videos was a little harder, though.

"My grandma thought I was using it as an excuse to mess around on the Internet," Nguyen said.

___

Contact the reporter at http://twitter.com/ChristinaHoag .

And another model. Once again, this is something that the Armed Forces can adopt as an institution, it provides the opportunity to learn, allows for self education and pacing that is appropriate for both Regular and Reserve members, and is relatively inexpensive (exams could be proctored at local unit lines or armouries under the watchful eyes of senior NCO's, or on line exams could be offered).

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/01/opinion/my-valuable-cheap-college-degree.html?_r=0

My Valuable, Cheap College Degree

By ARTHUR C. BROOKS

Published: January 31, 2013 444 Comments

WASHINGTON

For Op-Ed, follow @nytopinion and to hear from the editorial page editor, Andrew Rosenthal, follow @andyrNYT.

MUCH is being written about the preposterously high cost of college. The median inflation-adjusted household income fell by 7 percent between 2006 and 2011, while the average real tuition at public four-year colleges increased over that period by over 18 percent. Meanwhile, the average tuition for just one year at a four-year private university in 2011 was almost $33,000, according to the National Center for Education Statistics. College tuition has increased at twice the rate of health care costs over the past 25 years.

Ballooning student loan debt, an impending college bubble, and a return on the bachelor’s degree that is flat or falling: all these things scream out for entrepreneurial solutions.

One idea gaining currency is the $10,000 college degree — the so-called 10K-B.A. — which apparently was inspired by a challenge to educators from Bill Gates, and has recently led to efforts to make it a reality by governors in Texas, Florida and Wisconsin, as well as by a state assemblyman in California.

Most 10K-B.A. proposals rethink the costliest part of higher education — the traditional classroom teaching. Predictably, this means a reliance on online and distance-learning alternatives. And just as predictably, this has stimulated antibodies to unconventional modes of learning. Some critics see it as an invitation to charlatans and diploma mills. Even supporters often suggest that this is just an idea to give poor people marginally better life opportunities.

As Darryl Tippens, the provost of Pepperdine University, recently put it, “No PowerPoint presentation or elegant online lecture can make up for the surprise, the frisson, the spontaneous give-and-take of a spirited, open-ended dialogue with another person.” And what happens when you excise those frissons? In the words of the president of one university faculty association, “You’re going to be awarding degrees that are worthless to people.” (Interpolation: In some Canadian universities, local Brownshirts will work tirelessly to ensure your "spirited, open ended discussion" is only open ended to points of view they approve of. Many American Universities have similar "Speech Codes" institutionalized by their administration. Kind of negates the first argument)

I disagree. I possess a 10K-B.A., which I got way back in 1994. And it was the most important intellectual and career move I ever made.

After high school, I spent an unedifying year in college. The year culminated in money problems, considerably less than a year of credits, and a joint decision with the school that I should pursue my happiness elsewhere. Next came what my parents affectionately called my “gap decade,” during which time I made my living as a musician. By my late 20s I was ready to return to school. But I was living in Spain, had a thin bank account, and no desire to start my family with a mountain of student loans.

Fortunately, there was a solution — an institution called Thomas Edison State College in Trenton, N.J. This is a virtual college with no residence requirements. It banks credits acquired through inexpensive correspondence courses from any accredited college or university in America.

I took classes by mail from the University of Washington, the University of Wyoming, and other schools with the lowest-priced correspondence courses I could find. My degree required the same number of credits and type of classes that any student at a traditional university would take. I took the same exams (proctored at local libraries and graded by graduate students) as in-person students. But I never met a teacher, never sat in a classroom, and to this day have never laid eyes on my beloved alma mater.

And the whole degree, including the third-hand books and a sticker for the car, cost me about $10,000 in today’s dollars.

Now living back in the United States, I followed the 10K-B.A. with a 5K-M.A. at a local university while working full time, and then endured the standard penury of being a full-time doctoral fellow in a residential Ph.D. program. The final tally for a guy in his 30s supporting a family: three degrees, zero debt.

Did I earn a worthless degree? Hardly. My undergraduate years may have been bereft of frissons, but I wound up with a career as a tenured professor at Syracuse University, a traditional university. I am now the president of a Washington research organization.

Not surprisingly, my college experience has occasionally been the target of ridicule. It is true that I am no Harvard Man. But I can say with full confidence that my 10K-B.A. is what made higher education possible for me, and it changed the course of my life. More people should have this opportunity, in a society that is suffering from falling economic and social mobility.

The 10K-B.A. is exactly the kind of innovation we would expect in an industry that is showing every indication of a bubble that is about to burst, as Thomas K. Lindsay of the Texas Public Policy Foundation shows in a new report titled, “Anatomy of a Revolution? The Rise of the $10,000 Bachelor’s Degree.” When tuition skyrockets and returns on education stagnate, we can expect a flight to value, especially by people who can least afford to ride the bubble, and who have no choice but to make a cost-effective college investment.

In the end, however, the case for the 10K-B.A. is primarily moral, not financial. The entrepreneurs who see a way for millions to go to college affordably are the ones who understand the American dream. That dream is the opportunity to build a life through earned success. That starts with education.

Arthur C. Brooks is president of the American Enterprise Institute and a former professor at Syracuse University.

An interesting theory about cursive writing. I know *we* have become rather lazy and accept printouts of student autobiographies now, which may improve keyboarding skills but not the skillsets this blogger is talking about.

As to how valid his points are, I will be inclined to say these are good starting points for discussion:

http://cruxofthematterblog.wordpress.com/2013/02/11/connection-between-democracy-personal-empowerment-cursive-writing/

Connection between democracy, personal empowerment & cursive writing
Feb11

There is a lot of debate going on right now that both today’s kids, and their kids in the future, will not need cursive writing because everything will be done on computers or other similar forms of technology. Jacks Newswatch had a good article on that yesterday. The positive message I take from that CTV article is that the debate is still ongoing.

Which means, as a society, we have not yet passed the point of no return on this and the related issues of not teaching grammar, spelling and the multiplication tables. In the case of grammar, the justification has always been that we simply write as we speak and don’t need to define the subject or verb — and there may be some truth to that belief.

But, not knowing how to spell? Well, you’re fine as long as you have a spell checker. You will note I didn’t say as long as you have a dictionary because they don’t use those anymore either. Everything is done online. However, in the case of not teaching math drills because everything can be done on a calculator, well that is not doing our young people any favours.

What a slippery slope educators are travelling! As a former university professor I can tell you that far too many young people today can’t put a proper sentences or paragraph together without their laptop. Which, as they find out, is a real bummer when they have to write an exam with an actual ballpoint pen — an exam that is timed! Imagine trying to hurry to get all your questions answered and essays written by printing. Madness!!

So, what skills does an advanced society like ours need, particularly given it is a democracy? Well, all its citizens, all potential voters, need to be able to think critically and be fully informed.

They also need to be able to think clearly and process information in a logical fashion. That is a skill that is not taught in a vacuum. It is taught through talking, reading, and yes, writing. Printing is very disjointed. Keyboarding tends to be slow. Neither flows. Cursive writing does. Therefore, it provides some pre-requisite skills in processing information.

Experiment: Stop for a second and think about what you are doing right now as you read this post. You are reading silently. You are following each word and sentence and you are hearing the words in your head. That is called subvocalizing. When you print, you don’t subvocalize because it is slow, and as I said above, disjointed.  Now, grab a piece of paper and write a sentence or two about what I just said. First, print. Then, write. Which came easier? Which helped you remember what you had read?

Then there are the youngsters and adults who have learning disabilities, such as dyslexia. While not all dyslexics read letters backwards, some do unless or until they are taught how to read in the correct left to right direction (at least in English). As with cursive writing, reading fluency is about using the flow of language to process it in such a way that it makes sense. Put another way, before comprehension, there must be fluency. It is similar with handwriting because as you are writing, you are learning or remembering.

Anyway, this is whole-language all over again — as it came about during the early 1970s. It was whole language that wasn’t whole. It was experiential and discovery-oriented, but without the phonics and rules on word structures (such as compound words, prefixes and suffixes). The scary part is that it has taken forty years for educators to notice that entire generations of young people don’t read to any degree and often can’t spell without the help of a spell checker. Do we need to repeat that history?

The crux of the matter is that there is more to cursive writing than simply recording words on a page.  Rather, it is one of the building blocks to full literacy that, when combined with the benefits of technology, produces a fully empowered and literate human being ready to assume the responsibilities of a citizen in a modern democracy.

One hopes elementary school administrators and teachers don’t forget that reality!

C/P JNW.

The model of schooling is about to change due to external factors like unsustainable costs and employers rejecting unqualified (uneducated) graduates. This article looks at the K-12 model, which is the foundation of everything else. Canadian schools largely draw from the American model, so the same lessons apply here:

http://blogs.the-american-interest.com/wrm/2013/03/16/the-k-12-implosion-review/

The K-12 Implosion: Review

A national implosion is coming, one which will take down the American public school system in its current form. So argues Glenn Reynolds, a well known law professor and the creator of the blog Instapundit, in his new book The K-12 Implosion. That the lower education system has problems is no secret, but for those who would like to understand why—beyond the often-shallow partisan debate—Reynolds provides a gripping guide.

To some extent, the slow collapse of the public school system has already begun. Teachers’ unions, the stalwarts of the existing model, are quickly losing favor in public opinion. And states and the federal government, driven by the soaring costs of Medicare and pensions, are clamping down on their funding for schools. Public schools are closing, charters are opening at a faster rate, and other innovative approaches are gaining popularity.

Two main factors explain these changes, according to Reynolds. First, a drastic increase in K-12 spending has failed to improve student performance. The US now outspends nearly every OECD country, but reading, math, and science scores have remained constant since the 1970s.

Much of this is due to where the money is going. Since the 1950s, the number of administrators and other staff grew 7 times more than the increase in students—and nearly 3 times as much as the number of teachers. Why public schools are bloating themselves with layers of unnecessary bureaucracy is anyone’s guess. But as Reynolds points out, the situation is unsustainable.

“The current system isn’t working. And, alas, neither are too many of its graduates. There may be a connection.”

The public school system as we know it, Reynolds explains, was initially created for the industrial revolution—to produce workers fit for the tedious and repetitive jobs of factories. But today’s job market has left factory work behind. It requires a vast variety of skill-sets. And not only are students left unprepared to fit these roles, they barely learn the basics.

So, what’s next? An unaffordable system, resting on a foundation of repeated failures, will eventually crumble. What will rise from the debris is still unclear. But Reynolds thinks it might be a diverse system of innovative approaches—each suited to a family’s needs and spending potential.

The deepening crisis of the public school system is one of the most striking and consequential examples of the broad social phenomenon this blog tracks under the heading of the “decline of the blue social model.” The purpose of the public school system—providing education for citizenship and economic self sufficiency to the next generation of Americans—is more important than ever. But the means by which our society seeks to accomplish this goal are less and less well adapted to the conditions of the times.

The modern American public school system is a product of the late 19th and early 20th century transformations of American society. An agricultural society based on small farmers became a manufacturing society in which most people lived in cities. And the great flood of immigration between 1880 and 1923 filled America’s burgeoning cities with tens of millions of people who didn’t speak English and didn’t know much about the country to which they had moved.

The educational system was a way of helping kids adjust to a world that was radically different than the world many parents understood or could prepare them for. Teachers were professionals with knowledge not available to the average person—and they were considerably better educated than the parents of most of their pupils.

That is no longer true; many parents these days have just as much education as teachers if not more. The progressive era model of a bureaucratic school organization staff by life-tenured employees is no longer a good fit for our increasingly entrepreneurial and job-hopping society; it prepares kids (badly) at great expense for a world that no longer exists.

Our society is becoming more diverse, and different families need very different things when it comes to educating the kids. Uneducated single moms in crime ridden inner city neighborhoods need one kind of help when it comes to helping their kids get a good start in life; families where both parents have been to college want something quite different.

American education is going to change far more than most of us expect; Glenn Reynolds has done a magnificent job of showing just how urgently change is needed and how sweeping it is likely to be.

Another great article my Matt Gurney, emphasis mine.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2013/03/18/matt-gurney-want-your-education-paid-for-take-something-useful/

Matt Gurney: Want your education paid for? Take something useful

Republish Reprint
Matt Gurney | 13/03/18 | Last Updated: 13/03/18 5:32 PM ET
More from Matt Gurney | @mattgurney

The number of Canadians pursuing useless post-secondary degrees, often on borrowed money, has apparently gotten under the Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s skin. Mr. Harper, it is reported, is growing increasingly frustrated that there are hundreds of thousands of job vacancies that Canadian employers need filled, but remain open because Canadians lack the skills or training. This results in Canada needing hundreds of thousands of temporary foreign workers while youth unemployment languishes at double the national rate. This is putting a real damper on our economic productivity at a time when governments at every level are desperate to boost growth.

It is indeed a problem, and one that the Harper government has been trying to wrap its mind around for years. With only limited success — the CBC’s Greg Weston reports that a variety of plans have been proposed and rejected. Hence Mr. Harper’s growing frustration.

The problem seems simple in the abstract: There are young Canadians who need to get an education and then a job after that, and there are Canadian companies that are desperately eager to hire these people. But there’s a missed connection here: The educational choices of these young Canadians are steering them into fields that are either dead ends, low-paying or hopelessly glutted with applicants. If they’d all just take up welding or natural resources extraction, with a minor in information technology, all our problems would be solved.

But that’s the trouble with human beings: Sometimes they insist on doing what they want to do, rather than what would be optimal for the national economy.

And there are undeniably cultural factors at play. Our society does not place much social value on being a pipe fitter or an electrician. It does place economic value on those jobs, and others like it. Put simply, they pay well. But to the (limited) extent that high school students think about their long-term professional careers at all, they’re likely to value something with a little more flash and style, even if it doesn’t pay as well (which the students probably don’t realize is the case, anyway). You don’t get a date to the prom talking about your future as a skilled construction worker.

There is a further irony at work here. Not only are too many young Canadians prioritizing degrees that will lead to little or no professional opportunities, they’re borrowing huge wads of cash to do it. The cost of post-secondary education has boomed in recent years, going up 200% in some provinces. Yet enrollment also keeps going up: Canada is among the better educated countries in the world, by percentage of population with post-secondary degrees. Students are just borrowing to make up the difference. The average debt-load for a student graduating with a post-secondary degree sits somewhere in the range of $25,000-$30,000.

There’s a tendency among older Canadians to dismiss the struggles of the younger generation. “We struggled, they’ll do fine in the end” or “Serves ‘em right, they’re entitled whiners” seem to be popular sentiments. This is short-sighted in the extreme. Baby Boomers haven’t saved nearly enough for their retirement. Most of them are counting on the value of their home to sustain their final decades. Newsflash, folks: If the kids can’t get jobs that pay a living wage, they can’t buy your house. At least not for what you’re expecting to get for it.

For all the reasons above, the problems are real. And, as the Prime Minister has reportedly discovered, dealing with it is difficult. There’s not much the government can do, or should be asked to do, about the culture that values dead-end degrees over training in a booming industry. Education at the high school level would help with that: Students should be given an intense course in the basics of post-secondary education — what it costs, how student loans work, what the job market is asking for, and average wages for the options. That alone might serve as a shakeup.

But if governments, federal or provincial, really want to tackle this problem, it will require some very tough love indeed. Governments provide huge money to students, whether through grants, scholarships or loans. It’s time to only direct that support toward university or college programs that will meet the needs of the economy. Everyone would retain the right to go into Women’s Studies or, as I did, military history, but on your own dime. If you want the government’s help getting educated, you have to do something the national economy needs.

Such a plan would be unpopular, since equal access to post-secondary education is seen by many as a basic right. And it wouldn’t be easily implemented, or foolproof once in place: There would always be the very real danger of the government’s assessment of what skills were in demand lagging well behind the real-life economy.

But it would still be a big step in the right direction. If the state is forking over the cash to get you educated, there’s nothing wrong with it taking an active interest in what it is you’re studying.

National Post
mgurney@nationalpost.com
@mattgurney

There was a really good Doczone on exactly that, at the beginning of Feb.  It goes further into the governments lack of effort in coordinating universities, and the universities incapability and/or unwillingness to collaborate.  It gives examples of European countries that have very good models to address this issue as well.

http://www.cbc.ca/doczone/episode/generation-jobless.html

I've seen Generation Jobless recently and it is bang-on.

I can't confirm, but I've heard that Germany subsidizes education based on the percentage of taxes that an industry pays. So if welding company's pay 5% of the corporate taxes, they invest 5% of their education spending on welding schools/technology/etc.

Whether Germany does it or not, it seems a good way to subsidize tuition to me. Want to study arts and become a starving artist?? Sure, tuition is $10,000 but only $50 is subsidized. Want to study engineering and become a PEng? Sure, tuition is $10,000 but the government will pay $9500 of it.

I was reading that PM Harper is expecting the private sector to pony up. This is the ideal idea if he can make it work, but I feel like certain sectors that are important to our economy but are not "big paying jobs" would be overlooked and in the long-term our economy would suffer.

The reason certain fields of education have not been watered down are because they are driven by industry. The standards set for skilled trades, engineering, medicine, etc are all driven by the industry they work in. When you have no industry and its the university's that are setting the bar, its become watered down. Aka the Bachelor of Arts (Folklore) offered at MUN.

Certain fields of education haven't been watered down not because they are driven by industry, but because they are based on objective (measurable) criteria.  You can either do calculus, or you can't.  You either know your anatomy and physiology, or you don't.  You can either perform the skills of a trade, or you can't.  Whether you make the right sociopolitical noises to stroke the instructor's bias is irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back