• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The End of the Virtual Land of the Free

When I read the notification from FB it said that over the next few weeks there wouldn't be new links on the platform. Maybe the G&M is spamming people to make it seem like FB is doing them dirty, and not like their side tried to do FB dirty and lost.
Or maybe spamming the board to try to juice subscriptions?

I've never actually used either Google or Facebook for news feed. I go directly to the news providers site, CNN, BBC , CBC, NationalPost, even Fox. My guess is C18 won't effect my news browsing habit at all.

We'll see.

🍻
I usually went straight to news sites, but sometimes I or friends of mine would share interesting articles on Facebook and discuss them, much like we do here.

My understanding was that under C18, that was now verboten unless Facebook paid the media companies Danegeld.

Wait for Meta to decide operating in Canada isn't worth the hassle, and the government has to explain to people why they can't see pictures of grandkids anymore.
Meta leaving would not be a bad thing for a whole pile of good reasons.

It's a little rich I think for CBC to describe others as anticompetative given their funding source. It wouldn't surprise me if CTV et al had the same opinion of the "national broadcaster".
Yes…CanTass…more than a billion dollars and still reaping in advertising revenue…

Wait for Meta to decide operating in Canada isn't worth the hassle, and the government has to explain to people why they can't see pictures of grandkids anymore.
The Trudeau government...f**king up things that aren't even ours to f**k up. The Medusa of the west - half that see her turn to stone instantly and go nowhere, the rest hide their eyes and slowly back away...

May mess up all the grandparents & families out there who rely on it to see what their distant family members are up to and how they are growing up, and all the immigrants who use it to keep in touch with friends & family back home

Russia doesn't have Facebook. Nor does China. Does Canada eventually get added to that list??

What a badge of honour that would be! He can put 'Screwing up the news' right up there with the emergencies act, freezing accounts, turning down japan and Germany for LNG, and having the least productive economy in the G7 after Japan.

(Sorry, I keep forgetting that just because a thread mentions Trudeau doesn't mean it's the Trudeau thread...my sheer rage blinds me at times...)

It's probably the generation I belong to but I go to news sites to get news, not social media. Granted, I do it online. I've always wondered why people thought that other sites 're-broadcasting' information for profit, that they obtained free, was fair to people who created the content in the first place. Do people who believe 'mainstream media' has a nefarious agenda honestly believe that social media does not? That is somehow pure as the driven snow? You want to see media bias, read archived newspapers from a century or more ago.
The whole issue is not about "re-broadcasting" other people's content, it is about being able to share news headlines that include links to the publisher's website. This is why Meta and Google are arguing that they essentially provide free advertising to media outlets, given that much of these corporation's traffic now comes from services like Facebook, Twitter, and Google... the CBC still makes money whenever someone clicks on one of their articles found in a Facebook post or that shows up in a Google feed, they just don't make money off the article being displayed in the feed if nobody wants to read it. Google and Meta are referring to it as "a tax on links" for a reason. This is why many smaller media outlets are complaining about this new policy, as the majority of their web traffic originates from social media shares and Google news feeds... perhaps now whatever profit this forum website makes will now have to be negotiated individually with different news outlets, to ensure CBC gets its "fair share". Here (Army.ca), unlike on social media, it is common for people to copy and paste the whole article so that readers do not need to go to the source publisher's website, where they make money off ad revenue or subscriptions.

For example, if I want to read about wildfires in BC I may use Google to find news headlines and click on a link that brings me to a local news outlet in Kamloops (then they make money). If Google can't provide news though I may just default to looking at a larger news companies website, like CBC.ca.

The government's argument could be expanded to say that Google needs to profit share with every single website that they display in a web search, whether the user clicks on the link or not, insisting that it is not fair for Google to be profitable and some of these websites to fail when Google is making billions off telling people looking to find a website like theirs that it exists.

Last edited:
The government's argument could be expanded to say that Google needs to profit share with every single website that they display in a web search, whether the user clicks on the link or not, insisting that it is not fair for Google to be profitable and some of these websites to fail when Google is making billions off telling people looking to find a website like theirs that it exists.
…and how much is the redirect service worth to a website for having Google/Meta index them and provide a direct link to their content? 🤔

Goose…Gander…

Bah. Satirical websites produce nothing but disinformation that honest hard-working fact checkers have to set right.

Back