• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Gagetown Thread- Merged

George Wallace said:
As a Pte yes.  As you go higher in rank, you could be posted as RSS to any of the PRes Infantry units.  You could also be posted to the Rangers.  Other postings could include one of the Battle Schools, the Infantry School or even the Combat Arms School.  Perhaps a job in Range Control at one of the Bases across Canada is in your cards.  There are numerous "Any Trade" postings that you may apply for at Embassies, Alert, Test Establishments, CFRC's, Ceremonial Guard, etc.  There are hundreds of postings one may get after finishing QL5 Infantry and a PLQ.

If you ask for any of those then maybe you would get them.  Problem is lots of people are asking for those spots.  If someone wanted to spend their entire career in a rifle and/or support company they could - provided they don't get promoted out of a position.  Lots of guys want out of a rifle company as time marches on ... there are tons of vacant positions in all the battalions - hell they disband one rifle company just to top up the others.   

As for TylerSnap's case I don't think it would be very difficult at all to get posted to Pet and remain in Pet for the better part of a full career in The RCR - if that is his game plan.   

If you ask for any of those then maybe you would get them.  Problem is lots of people are asking for those spots.  If someone wanted to spend their entire career in a rifle and/or support company they could - provided they don't get promoted out of a position.  Lots of guys want out of a rifle company as time marches on ... there are tons of vacant positions in all the battalions - hell they disband one rifle company just to top up the others.   

As for TylerSnap's case I don't think it would be very difficult at all to get posted to Pet and remain in Pet for the better part of a full career in The RCR - if that is his game plan.

He might be able to jump from 1RCR to 3RCR and back again, then go to the leadership school in Pet, range control in Pet, and an assortment of other places while remaining in Petawawa. If he was lucky.

But staying in a rifle coy or a combat support coy up untill Sgt-WO just doesn't happen very often. These decisions and the reasons for them are discussed at pay grades above my own, but it seems that the policy is to get NCOs experience in other areas of the army.  Quite often, that leads them to Gage, Meaford, and so on.

Personally, I would not suggest to anyone that they can join the RCR and expect to remain in Petawawa for their entire military careers while progressing in rank along with their peers. It happens sometimes, but more often you'll be posted somewhere down the line.

QV said:

Sounds like you are suggesting "Mediocrity" is the solution to not getting promoted or posted.

George Wallace said:
Sounds like you are suggesting "Mediocrity" is the solution to not getting promoted or posted.

Better that than telling the RSM to get stuffed, don't cha think?  ;D

St. Micheals Medical Team said:
Better that than telling the RSM to get stuffed, don't cha think?   ;D

Well, perhaps that may get someone a 'lil vacation out to Club Ed. I don't think I'll be testing out the theory however.  :eek:

I'm probably posting to the wrong forum - - but I'm quite desperate for advice, so maybe a reader will send me to the correct forum.

Here's the story.  My 18 yr-old has been at Gagetown for a week, his first experience away from home for any length of time.  He is BORED TO TEARS, and a long way away from his friends and family in Ontario.  I don't know what to advise him.  He's not training, he's staff.

Surely there has to be some sort of recreation program - who should he talk to?  Practical suggestions would be appreciated so much.  As you can imagine, I'm just as distraught as he is.

Thanks for any help,
MOM

Well, hes 18........Sweetwater's must still be open  ;D

Lots to do in the Gagetown / Fredericton area, depends on what he likes.

no - - Pte

he's working as staff for the summer

He's going to college in Sept  on SEP

CDN Aviator said:
Well, hes 18........Sweetwater's must still be open  ;D

Lots to do in the Gagetown / Fredericton area, depends on what he likes.

1 year too young you old fart  ;D

I know...but he's not about to go on his own, and transportation is an issue, so unless it's a "group outing" I can't see how he could take advantage of anything the surrounding area has to offer.  He's only there for the summer.

I'm thinking more along the lines of stuff to keep him busy on the base.

That's nice, if he has transport. If not, Gagetown sucks.

Well, that takes care of the first part of my answer.

What does he like to do at home?

There is the Base Gym, Base Movie Theater (only weekends), Walking Trails.

There are free internet computers, pool tables, foozball tables, all at the Maritime Club here on base.

Have him check with PSP about any clubs that may be available.

Or another kind of PSP  :D !

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0926INGFS10093036&catid=22453&logon=&langid=EN

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10093036&logon=&langid=EN

You already have proven you are a cool Mom, as you are concerned about his free time.

Now imagine him opening a package with one of these badboys, and you can deduct it from his allowance later!

dileas

tess

CAMP GAGETOWN FITNESS CENTRE

FACILITY INFO

Hi, you have entered the world of the Gagetown Fitness Center, arguably the best-equipped fitness Facility east of Montreal. Here is an overview, to get detailed info on clubs and the pool click on Recreation or Aquatics:

Child Care (call 3380 for info)

200m Indoor Track (Long Jump Pit, Pole Vault, Hurdles)

3 courts in the Field House (Basketball, Volleyball, Soccer, Tennis, Ball Hockey)

Climbing Wall

Bowling Alley (For info Call 357- 8696)

Large Weight Room (Hammer Strength, Free weights, Machine Weights)

Cardio Room (Treadmill, Steppers, Arc Trainers, Elliptical, Stair Climbers Bikes, Rowers and Small weight Trg area)

Old Gym (Basketball, Volleyball, Soccer, Tennis, Ball Hockey, Badminton)

25m Pool and Wading Pool with water Slide

Sports Stores (sign out: Canoes, Bikes, Kayaks, Sports Equip, Call 2927)

FTR (Aerobics, Martial Arts)

CTR (Aerobics, Martial Arts)

Conference Room (Lectures, Birthday Parties)

Outside

4 Ball Diamonds, 3 Soccer Pitches

1.9 k Figure 8 paved Fitness Loop (Roller Ski/Blade, Bike, Run)

30k of Running/CC Ski Trails

And More

Soldiers Arena (For info call 2421)

Lindsay Valley Lodge (Unit Social functions, for info call 3535)

Gage Golf and Curling Club (For info call 357-3002)

The biggest issue in CFB Gagetown is transportation. The Base proper is co located with the Town of Oromocto www.oromocto.ca.

If he has wheels he can easily get to Fredericton which as a University city has a fair amount to offer like movies, live theatre, clubs etc.

He should drop into the Military Family Resource Centre www.mfrcgagetown.nb.ca/ and they should have a package for New arrivals that may give him a few ideas.

If he's teaching he may not have as much spare time as he thinks, it's a busy place.

I'm sure you will get other ideas but this may help.

CFR FCS

I've done the whole staff (yeah right) as a Pte thing. If you can pass one piece of advice from me (18 year old male) to another...

GO TO THE GYM, GET FIT, LOOK GOOD, FEEL BETTER,  and SAVE MONEY!

Back