• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The General Hillier Years. The Merged Superthread

Just for info: VAdm Larry Murray, who, I agree, was an outstanding officer and leader and a great boss, is back for a second tour as Deputy Minister of Fisheries and Oceans Canada where, by the way, he also rates his own 'flag'.  He was, until a couple of years ago, DM of Veterans Affairs - a department which, I believe, he found quite frustrating to manage, lead, direct or whatever.

As a remembrance: the day he really blotted his copybook by telling Judge Létourneau that he (Murray) would not be abused the way Létourneau and Desberats had abused many junior officers and NCOs who had previously appeared he returned, at end of day to the 13th floor of The Puzzle Palace.  The hallways were lined by CDS and VCDS staff officers, all applauding.  He merely smiled at us, told us to get on with our work and have a nice evening, but I think he was touched.

---------
Edit: added remembrance

Thanks Edward, I guess it was Boyle who went to work for an aerospace firm...

Edward Campbell said:
Just for info: VAdm Larry Murray, who, I agree, was an outstanding officer and leader and a great boss, is back for a second tour as Deputy Minister of Fisheries and Oceans Canada where, by the way, he also rates his own 'flag'.  He was, until a couple of years ago, DM of Veterans Affairs - a department which, I believe, he found quite frustrating to manage, lead, direct or whatever.

As a remembrance: the day he really blotted his copybook by telling Judge Létourneau that he (Murray) would not be abused the way Létourneau and Desberats had abused many junior officers and NCOs who had previously appeared he returned, at end of day to the 13th floor of The Puzzle Palace.  The hallways were lined by CDS and VCDS staff officers, all applauding.  He merely smiled at us, told us to get on with our work and have a nice evening, but I think he was touched.

---------
Edit: added remembrance

Indeed he is a fine gentleman. Until June of this year he was also the Honorary Colonel for the Chaplain Branch, so highly is he regarded for his ethical and moral standpoint. We loved him as our Colonel and he was also at Veteran's Affairs for a while before he went to Fisheries and Oceans. A great guy.

A little tid-bit, shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act - http://www.cb-cda.gc.ca/info/act-e.html#rid-33409

Hillier just wants to run free
Julie Smyth, National Post, 21 Oct 06

General Rick Hillier, Chief of the Defence Staff, has been spotted jogging through the busy streets of downtown Ottawa, seemingly without any security. His staff declined to comment on his security provisions (surely someone is keeping an eye on him?) and said he runs to keep in shape, as is necessary in the military. His choice of location -- we won't disclose the timing or route for obvious reasons -- is interesting as he has in no way tried to be secretive about his regular jogs.

"It is difficult to escape the public eye here," said Gen. Hillier's spokesman, Lieutenant-Commander Hubert Genest, adding Gen. Hillier "needs to be able to run freely, too." He has chosen downtown streets as it's "fun" and he likes to see "what the city has to offer," said his spokesman.

While his job is to inspire others, he is not running in public to make a statement. "He takes time in his very busy day to clear his mind," said Lt.-Cmdr Genest, and the running also helps reduce the effects of his cigar smoking.

Gen. Hillier's official biography on the Internet reads: "General Hillier enjoys most recreational pursuits but, in particular, runs slowly, plays hockey poorly and golfs not well at all." ....

Good!

A general who takes PT seriously and "makes time" in his schedule to do it.

A case fo leading by example.

Now, I wonder whose PT kit he wears? Do they have the tri-force symbol on sweats for him? :)

"General Hillier enjoys most recreational pursuits but, in particular, runs slowly, plays hockey poorly and golfs not well at all." ....

I think this was written by him in true Newfoundlander style, it was meant as fun. 
He probably has a Newfie shirt or something inconspicuous.  I can just see the peaceniks now, "there's the CDS lets jump him"  And Ricky will either run harder or jump on them!!!! Maybe slide off and tell 'em a good newfie joke...
Gotta love this guy!
:salute:

Security?  The only CDS I ever saw with security was Baril.....and he needed it from his own troops. :)

The Librarian said:
Hmmm I seem to only have 240 points left...hubby must have ordered me something for Christmas... ::)

Why do I get the feeling that he had better have ordered something for you.....

GAP said:
Why do I get the feeling that he had better have ordered something for you.....
Well Gap, if he did order me something for Christmas...He'd better hope like heck that he didn't order it from Logistic!!  :mad:

The Librarian said:
Hmmm I seem to only have 240 points left...hubby must have ordered me something for Christmas... ::)

Maybe CDS style Gucci PT kit?  Grey goes with everything.

Maybe he's run out of his own points and is using yours to get new shirts and stuff.  Can't see opening a xmas pressie and getting a brand new DEU shirt, or socks. 
;D

Haggis said:
www.logistikunicorp.com

I see. So you say Gen. Hillier runs through the streets of ottawa in his St.Jean issue PT ensemble, complete with grey wool socks?

There is a single tear of joy running down a Sergeant Major's face right now, somewhere; "look at that troops, what a fine leader, nothing but issued kit!"

How come I can't order any of those fantastic mesh topped grey runners anymore? Vern?

Gaspasser said:
Maybe he's run out of his own points and is using yours to get new shirts and stuff.  Can't see opening a xmas pressie and getting a brand new DEU shirt, or socks. 
;D
Now that I'd believe...but I hope he looks good in the girls shirt, skirt and pants!! Tell you all what...I'll post a pic if it happens!!!  >:D

I want something in a bag...a Robin's Egg Blue bag....

GO!!! said:
There is a single tear of joy running down a Sergeant Major's face right now, somewhere; "look at that troops, what a fine leader, nothing but issued kit!"
Bet you he's an RCR Sgt Maj.

About the running shoes GO!!! I dunno why you can't get them anymore...you want perhaps I speak to them for you??  :)

I have been outted!!

Vern

The Librarian said:
Well Gap, if he did order me something for Christmas...He'd better hope like heck that he didn't order it from Logistic!!  :mad:

What a good idea! :D
Thanks librarian... and to think I was actually going to spend money this year.

CRC, if your 9er opens a new combat bra or cammied undies at Christams, you'll be in the doghouse for days...
;D

Back