• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The General Hillier Years. The Merged Superthread

Not sure but, think that the current CDS is the 1st CDS in a long time who has been able to get a grip on the Politician's attention AND managed to retain it.

His "down home" style dissarms, his strong personality goes for the Jugglar...

Regardless of who the next CDS is, it`s gonna be one really gigantic pair of boots to fill.
Will Gen Leslie be the one?... beats me!

Echo9 said:
What did it used to take to get ahead?  Mastery of the internal politics.  Think about the dynamics that used to exist: guy, fresh out of RMC would be tagged with the label that he's going to be a general.  And, there were few surprises.  Insert operations into the mix, and it removes the bureaucratic operators who are perhaps not great war leaders.  Col L'abbe would be a great example of one of the chosen children, whose career came to a stop because of his operational experiences.  I'm not sure that there's enough of those similar experiences for Naval and Air Force officers to get the "herd immunity" in the way that the Army has.

I was posted in Baden in the 80's when I ran into a "Golden Boy." This guy was in the fast stream until at an air show his plane fell out of the sky and killed a family in their car driving down the autobahn.  I haven't heard of him since.

Baden  Guy said:
I was posted in Baden in the 80's when I ran into a "Golden Boy." This guy was in the fast stream until at an air show his plane fell out of the sky and killed a family in their car driving down the autobahn.  I haven't heard of him since.

Your point Baden ?

T6...
Imagine he's just pointing out that other elemental fast moovers have been shot out of the sky / run aground and had their careers clipped in the bud.

geo said:
T6...
Imagine he's just pointing out that other elemental fast moovers have been shot out of the sky / run aground and had their careers clipped in the bud.

Thanks for making my point Geo.  :)
I was so busy trying to keep my example vanilla that I probably lost the point I was trying to make.

Gen Hillier is to be interviewed on the CBC Radio show "The Current" tomorrow, Wed Feb 7.  The show starts at 0837 Eastern time if anyone wants to listen.

[for Mods, did a search and couldn't find this posted anywhere]

rmacqueen said:
Gen Hillier is to be interviewed on the CBC Radio show "The Current" tomorrow, Wed Feb 7.  The show starts at 0837 Eastern time if anyone wants to listen.

[for Mods, did a search and couldn't find this posted anywhere]

The show starts at 0837 in ALL time zones (delay broadcast across the country). 

I am aware of how the CBC is viewed by many on this board - as a longtime CBC listener (sometimes just to see how high I can push my blood pressure), I am of the opinion that this particular current affairs show - The Current - is usually objective and fair in it's treatment of guests and their positions.  This may not be readily apparent to all, as at times they give so much time to one side of the issue that they have to wait until the next day to finish their treatment of the issue.

Anyway - the show can be found on your local CBC One station every weekday at 0837, in all time zones.  (If you're REALLY curious, you can go to the internet  (www.cbc.ca) and listen to it as it is broadcast in Newfoundland!!)

Roy

http://www.cbc.ca/thecurrent/2007/200702/20070207.html

Baden guy, how about the Baden base commanders 104 taking out a house just outside of Buhl in 83, with the old woman still sleeping upstairs. We spent 3 days cleaning up the debree, all there was left of the plane was a wing and the cockpit. He dissapeared very quickly also, rumours had it, he was sent somewhere very isolated as a liason officer.

I do remember the 104 crashing on the autobahn, quite a mess with many people killed.

Just a Guy said:
...the real question is...will any of Government of Canada want another "Rick Hillier" as CDS.  I worry that the very reasons so many of us admire him will doom us to a pale shadow of a replacement.  A brillant leader, commander (two different things) and professional it can't be easy for the Government to have to factor him / his responses into their plans...... Let's hope he stays

Well, you have listed the three things any responsible government should require of any of CDS.  You omitted politically astute, which the current CDS obviously is. As a person on the outside, it seems to me that he somehow managed to have Bill Graham, of all people, get behind him and his plans. I wonder if he will stay- perhaps if he feels his influence is waning he may leave.

One thing.... CDS' musn't stay around forever.  Like anything else, the man on top is preventing the career progression of the others climbing their carrer ladders.  Staying around beyond your time is not a good thing either

GUNS said:
Being from "The Rock", the man could do no wrong.

From a military POV, I agree with a prior post, " the right person, in the right position, at the right time"

The next CDS will have his/her work cutout for them.

I think he is brilliant despite being from the rock...any smart or employable noofie left the rock years ago. Thank god he left.  :-\

I think many people on the rock (or from the rock) might resent that particular assertion Hank.

I for one find it offensive!

I agree...but try a posting there...20 years behind the caveman. Unbelievable until youve actually lived it since the oil boom. Hillier is still brilliant tho.

From IN HOC SIGNO
Geo at first I was loathe to reply to your statement about the Air Force being looked after and the possibility of piss poor management within the Navy but you've got my dander up.
I think the CDS is a great guy and he's doing a heck of job....however the feeling of a lot of Senior Officers in the Navy and the Air Force is that this is a very Army-centric administration.
The Air Force is getting C17 heavy lifters and medium lift helicopters...it can be argued that all of this stuff benefits the movement of troops...i.e. the Army. what about fast air...are we moving ahead with any plans for that....or is it still very long term? What about replacements for the Auroras??
The Navy is being asked to look at the BHS...again a system for moving troops and equipment that belongs to the Army....what is being done to replace the DDH 280? a command and control ship that is old and needs replacement soon? When will we begin to think about the replacements for the Frigates which are now 10-15 years old?
How much of the expensive equipment purchases being made now are mission specific to this Afghanistan mission and what will happen when we're done there? Will we have geared ourselves in the other two services to keep up the sovereignty patrols that the Maritime Aircraft (Auroras) maintain and the ships maintain? Will we be able to play with our NORAD partners in the interceptor role? Or will we be left with big planes and big ships that are specifically geared to facilitate Army missions on the other side of the Globe?
Don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of the CDS. I think we've got more credibility than we've ever had since I've been in the outfit but let's not be saying that we've got piss poor management in the Navy and that everything is hunky dory in the Air Force.

Just my $0.02, but I think the government is looking at what it wants to be able to do in a foreign policy role, and prioritizing accordingly.

In the discussion, I think looking at inland 'Failed States' is a key driver.

Rwanda.
Darfur.
Afghanistan.

Who's next?  Who knows....but in those circumstances Germany may step up with Eurofighters, and France with some Rafales, but no one with the exception of the Commonwealth and Eastern Europe appear to have any interest in putting boots on the ground.

So if you want to stop that next genocide, and you know what your softer allies will and won't bring to the table, then you plan and procure properly ensuring you can enable a combined mission where otherwise there wouldn't be one.

Matthew.   :salute:

P.S.  Quote added for clarification as to source of my comments.  Was kind of late to the party on this thread and read it all at once....sorry for any confusion. 

Matthew....
Uhhh.... and your last post has what to do with Gen Hillier?

Hank.... I lived in Labrador City and travelled the rock for about 12 yrs - 20 yrs wouldn't be that much of a hardship

Although Matthew's point isn't well connected, what I got from it is that we are improving the Army's capability at the expense of the Navy and the Air Force despite the fact that they are the ones getting the equipment. This would be as a result of the CDS being such a strong leader and the other two elements having weak leaders.
The result of this is going to be good for the CF but the result seems to be turning towards an "Army Air Force" and "Marines" instead of traditional WW2 based elements. I still think Hillier is spot on in reexamining our roles. 15000 Air force who dont deploy(or are not of any operational use overseas) is a waste of personnel. A Navy that does the job of the Coast Guard, a Coast Guard that is a ferry service for DFO and an Air Force that does SAR and Fisheries patrol for the Coast Guard is also a waste.
Problem is that Hillier will be replaced by a weak Air Force or Navy General who will try to take the CF back to a cold war stance(shades of Boyle(shudder)). The Army will ignore them and the other two services will be put in survival mode. I hope they keep Hillier longer, we will be stronger for it.

Hank011,

You had better make your point clear in regards to this

15000 Air force who dont deploy(or are not of any operational use overseas) is a waste of personnel.

A Navy that does the job of the Coast Guard, a Coast Guard that is a ferry service for DFO and an Air Force that does SAR and Fisheries patrol for the Coast Guard is also a waste.

Problem is that Hillier will be replaced by a weak Air Force or Navy General who will try to take the CF back to a cold war stance(shades of Boyle(shudder)). The Army will ignore them and the other two services will be put in survival mode.

This post is inflamitory at best.....I'm giving you a chance to explain your POV.

The Army.ca Staff

hank011 said:
Although Matthew's point isn't well connected, what I got from it is that we are improving the Army's capability at the expense of the Navy and the Air Force despite the fact that they are the ones getting the equipment. This would be as a result of the CDS being such a strong leader and the other two elements having weak leaders.
The result of this is going to be good for the CF but the result seems to be turning towards an "Army Air Force" and "Marines" instead of traditional WW2 based elements. I still think Hillier is spot on in reexamining our roles. 15000 Air force who dont deploy(or are not of any operational use overseas) is a waste of personnel. A Navy that does the job of the Coast Guard, a Coast Guard that is a ferry service for DFO and an Air Force that does SAR and Fisheries patrol for the Coast Guard is also a waste.
Problem is that Hillier will be replaced by a weak Air Force or Navy General who will try to take the CF back to a cold war stance(shades of Boyle(shudder)). The Army will ignore them and the other two services will be put in survival mode. I hope they keep Hillier longer, we will be stronger for it.

Where do I start!!!! I know, prayer...that always calms me down...GOD GIVE ME STRENGTH!!!

First of all there are no Generals in Navy there Hank, they are called Admirals.
Second the CDS is supposed to be the leader of the whole Armed Forces not just the Army.
Your disrepect for the leadership in the Air Force and the Navy is disgusting. There are plenty of strong leaders...my big boss RAdm Dean McFadden (JTFA Commander) is an excellent leader who is extremely focussed on supporting our Task Force...0107 in Kandahar.
Do you actually know what the Air Force does and the vital roles they play not only in transporting the Army around but in Maritime Surveillance, SAR, NORAD etc.
As for the Navy we presently have a frigate in the Arabian Gulf with the American task force enforcing maritime blockade of suspicious ships (which may have illegal arms headed for Iraq or Afghanistan)...hardly un-operational and we have a lot of other roles that you would do well to acquiant yourself with.
Please refrain from posting garbage of an uninformed nature.
If the present CDS is replaced by any of the current top brass in the Navy the whole of the CF will be well served...they are dedicated and strong leaders.

Back