• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The General Hillier Years. The Merged Superthread

Haggis said:
True, but why not "double dip" as a Toon?

I wonder how many line serials there are in the Mo for Generals.  Of course, he could just reduce in rank to Captain or Major or something like that, he'd make a great RSS guy at some reserve unit.

Redeye said:
I wonder how many line serials there are in the Mo for Generals.  Of course, he could just reduce in rank to Captain or Major or something like that, he'd make a great RSS guy at some reserve unit.

Didn't Gen DeChastelain do round two as a C-classer?

Good2Golf said:
Didn't Gen DeChastelain do round two as a C-classer?

Apparently not, according to his bio. In '93 going Sup R List, but recalled to the RegF in '94.

General A.J.G.D. de Chastelain, OC, CMM, CD, CH (ret’d)

In January 1993 he transferred to the Supplementary Reserve and was appointed Canada’s eighteenth Ambassador to the United States of America.   In January 1994 he was recalled to regular force duty and re-appointed CDS.   He stepped down from that post and retired from the Canadian Forces on 31 December 1995.

Refence Hillier, haven't you heard??

Us Aussies are poaching him, ha!

;D

Wesley  Down Under said:
Haven't you heard??

Us Aussies are poaching him, ha!

;D

I'm quite sure he's heading to a certain Island NOT in your vicinity!!

You guys hear the word "Island" and automaticly assume it you??  8)

ArmyVern said:

Vern I think that it's probably more of a Rock then an Island ;) ;D

ArmyVern said:

Semi hijack, but with that bum, you can come to my island anytime, and thats my island (Bribie Island - google it)

dapaterson said:
"Recalled to Regular Force duty" could mean class C reserve service - note that it does not say "rejoined the Regular Force".

Thread tangent      I Heard he was actually put on the Cadet Instructors List to get around CRA. ::)  end thread tangent

Give him moderator status and privileges on Army.ca. That will certainly put an end to flame wars, trolling, +1 spamming and a whole lot of other impediments to a great site. (How many other mods can reach through the Internet and grab miscreants?)

He'd probably wrestle the bandwidth problem to the ground as well........ ;D ;D ;D

ArmyVern said:
I actually posted a comment twice on CBC hoping he would come back to the rock and join Danny William's fight with the Feds.

Rick Hillier is so strong, he can slam a revolving door.

Couldn't resist.  /Hijack

Gazoo said:
I just found this from a Dec 07 article:
"NATO foreign ministers discussed Friday the possible appointment of an international "super envoy" to coordinate civilian and military efforts better in Afghanistan."
It does sound perfect for General Hillier.

Although he would likely do a great job, this one's already taken (for now):  "Ambassador Kai Eide, Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General for Afghanistan, visited NATO on 16 April 2008. He met with the NATO Secretary General, Jaap de Hoop Scheffer, and addressed the North Atlantic Council and Partners contributing troops to the ISAF mission.  The NATO Secretary General reiterated the Alliance’s support for an enhanced UN role in coordinating civil and military efforts aimed at promoting Afghan development ...."

Agree that too much conflict (that even I, as a fat civvy, heard about) with DFAIT makes an ambassadorship likely out.

KingKikapu said:
Rick Hillier is so strong, he can slam a revolving door.

Couldn't resist.  /Hijack
OK,-- General Hillier doesn't read books. He stares them down until he gets the information he wants.

Back