• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate- 2.0

72 (1) Subject to subsection (1.1), if a chief firearms officer decides to refuse to issue or to revoke a licence or authorization to transport or the Registrar decides to refuse to issue or to revoke a registration certificate, authorization to export or authorization to import, the chief firearms officer or Registrar shall give notice of the decision in the prescribed form to the applicant for or holder of the licence, registration certificate or authorization.

There is no decision to be appealed.  No facts to be argued or contested.  This is a decree that certain firearms are now prohibited and applies equally to every person who owns a firearm in that class.  S. 72 will not apply and I'm sure that appeals will not be allowed.  In fact, I would not be at all surprised to find out after the technical briefing this afternoon that s 72 will also be/has been repealed.

Haggis said:
There is no decision to be appealed.  No facts to be argued or contested.  This is a decree that certain firearms are now prohibited and applies equally to every person who owns a firearm in that class.  S. 72 will not apply and I'm sure that appeals will not be allowed.  In fact, I would not be at all surprised to find out after the technical briefing this afternoon that s 72 will also be/has been repealed.

How exactly do you repeal an Act of Parliament by OIC?

For me I have about 20 AR's in different configurations, I plan to sell back to the government the cheaper under a thousand guns. The higher end stuff I'll keep and see what happens. The strange thing is they didn't ban the SKS or the Type 81's, even stranger I have a number of 12-6 prohib handguns, I can still shoot with those but the long rifles I can't.

SeaKingTacco said:

Unless there is provision within the legislation to do so (which would be highly unusual) you can't.

SeaKingTacco said:

Can repeal it via another Act of Parliament when you have a majority government. Right now the Liberals are at the mercy of the fringe left to hold onto power until the Tories sort out leadership and get confidence pulled. NDP will prop the government up because they can't afford an election, Greens are useless so its up to the Bloc.

Another big thing would be for the Tories to put a motion up that's not a confidence motion to repeal the OIC and force every MP to put their name on a side of the line. That could cause a lot of Liberals to lose seats.

Apparently if you want to be grandfathered your must have it deactivated. So much for waiting them out.....

I can't access the gazette so I can't see what rifles are banned. Can anyone see an obvious pattern?
I'm assuming a Browning BAR is ok because its not "military style" but why ban a M14 and not a sks?
I wonder how long before handguns face the same treatment? Hopefully more details emerge in the next week so I can plan accordingly but it sure does underscore the difference between rural and urban Canada

suffolkowner said:
I can't access the gazette so I can't see what rifles are banned. Can anyone see an obvious pattern?
I'm assuming a Browning BAR is ok because its not "military style" but why ban a M14 and not a sks?
I wonder how long before handguns face the same treatment? Hopefully more details emerge in the next week so I can plan accordingly but it sure does underscore the difference between rural and urban Canada

Posted up thread:

Jarnhamar said:
With 1500 models and variants I'm guessing it's essentially banning any semi-automatic rifle with a magazine?

edit- here's a list
http://www.gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2020/2020-05-01-x3/html/sor-dors96-eng.html

suffolkowner said:

BAR is not on the list although I suspect it will be a matter of time before the SKS will be banned along with other firearms. The M-14 was banned because it was used in that shooting of the police in NB along with the Storm. The ban of handguns is still going ahead with cities being given the power to ban them in their jurisdictions instead of a national ban. The anti-gun lobby will continue to go after other firearms as well.

Good2Golf said:
Posted up thread:

when I click on it the link doesn't work for me and when I try to go to the gazette directly it doesn't work either for some reason

suffolkowner said:
when I click on it the link doesn't work for me and when I try to go to the gazette directly it doesn't work either for some reason

I'm assuming that the server at the other end can't handle the number of requests it's getting.

Try this. Here is the list.

Attachments

• g2-154x3.pdf
    1,001.1 KB · Views: 86
I feel like MANPADS, Mortors and ATGMs are a little over kill since you cant buy those on the civilian market any way,and pretty sure the ammo was already prohib.

NavyShooter said:
I will be appealing.

I'm a gun owner. One .22 cal single shot is all I have so I think I'm ok.

I am guessing the owner groups/associations will mount a Supreme Court challenge to this?

Despite the fact virtually all of gun crimes committed were with illegally owned weapons, the Canadian way is to ban everything that might hurt someone. Using this logic, my 5.7 L Hemi powered car should be banned, because its fast and scary looking.

Well, I read the OIC. It makes no logical sense. I mean- making mortars, SAMs and Anti-Armour weapons prohibitted? There was a problem that needed a solution  ::). Although, I feel for the poor bastard who just had his Eryx banned- not because it is banned, but because he owned that piece of crap in the first place.

There is zero logical consistency in the document. It is not really based on common operating principles that  I can detect. It is more like somebody played "call of duty" and said "ban all that stuff".

I take issue with them basing this on the consultations over the past year in which the vast majority of respondents said there was not a problem. But, I guess only some voices are important enough for hearing in Canada in 2020.

SeaKingTacco said:
Well, I read the OIC. It makes no logical sense. I mean- making mortars, SAMs and Anti-Armour weapons prohibitted? There was a problem that needed a solution  ::). Although, I feel for the poor ******* who just had his Eryx banned- not because it is banned, but because he owned that piece of crap in the first place.

There is zero logical consistency in the document. It is not really based on common operating principles that  I can detect. It is more like somebody played "call of duty" and said "ban all that stuff".

I take issue with them basing this on the consultations over the past year in which the vast majority of respondents said there was not a problem. But, I guess only some voices are important enough for hearing in Canada in 2020.

Emotions vs facts.

Emotions win.

MilEME09 said:
I feel like MANPADS, Mortors and ATGMs are a little over kill since you cant buy those on the civilian market any way,and pretty sure the ammo was already prohib.

You would be correct- missiles and real mortar bombs would all be Prohibitted/regulated under the explosives act anyway, so this is pointless/humourous. Though, it got me thinking what this does to legitimate fireworks contractors. I mean: a mortar is a frickin pipe, basically. Hell,  a novice plumber could build a Mortar inside an hour.

And we all know why the Ruger Mini-14 was banned although it looks nothing like a military-style assault rifle, rather just another traditional rifle design. Can versions with 20-round mag. (see link) be bought legally in Canada?
https://ruger.com/products/mini14RanchRifle/models.html

5802.jpg

Mark
Ottawa

Back