• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate- 2.0

Taken from FB

The CCFR’s Tracey Wilson’s summary of the outcomes of the MCC report:

• Public Health Approach
• Learn from the success of AUS, UK, NZ gun bans
• They welcomed the long overdue changes like banning the Mini 14 ranch rifle
• Full ban on all semi auto – handguns, shotguns and rifles that discharge centrefire ammunition and are designed to accept detachable magazines with capacities of more than 5 rounds
• Prohibit magazines that have the ability to accept more than 5 rounds (pinned) to close the loopholes
• Require a PAL to possess ammunition
• Require a PAL to buy magazines
• Only allow purchase of ammunition for gun that the user is licensed for
• Introduce limits on amounts of ammo stockpiled or stored in homes
• Reform classifications and definitions for prohibited firearms to encompass more
• Remove prohibited guns from owners (buyback)
• Litanny of global stuff, UN regulations and such
• CFO “spousal support line” be renamed and manned 24/7 – publicized so any citizens can use it
• Craft guidelines for CFP staff to improve consistency in approval,disproval of PALs
• Set an auto review process for law enforcement PAL holders charged for IPV
• Require ID to be submitted with PAL apps
• Better data sharing
• Immediate revocation of PAL for anyone charged with IPV, hate crimes
• Suspend PAL even if charges are stayed or withdrawn until PAL holder can prove they’re not a danger ?
• Better consultation with indigenous
• Bequeth laws – better enforce rules for surviving family members, enforce PAL acquisition or destruction
• Mandate cops to stop smuggling and share data with other agencies
• Engage border towns to help cops stop smuggling and encourage the US to do this too
• Table legislation affirming gun ownership is a conditional privilege
• National Education campaign on reporting gun owners for safety concerns
• Create a national firearms hotline
• Support storage laws, enforce storage within homes, secure and subsidize storage facilities for owners in areas where storage is challenging

Some of it is “Oh ffs. 🙄”. Some them I am “meh” about.

What I am not “meh” about is the use of this tragedy to further the LPC gun agenda.

“Charged” with IPV should be found guilty of IPV. Full stop - in Canada you are innocent until proven guilty.

Some of it is “Oh ffs. 🙄”. Some them I am “meh” about.

What I am not “meh” about is the use of this tragedy to further the LPC gun agenda.

They are just recommendations at the moment.

WRT to ty ammo things wonder how they would police that with handloaders/reloaders like myself? Ban the sale of reloading components and materials ?

They are just recommendations at the moment.

WRT to ty ammo things wonder how they would police that with handloaders/reloaders like myself? Ban the sale of reloading components and materials ?

And how do they keep track? Easy.

They’ll treat sale of ammo and re-loading supplies like firearms; it all goes in a DB linked to your PAL #. One day you show up at your local store or BP and get told “you are at your limit, we can’t sell you powder etc right now”.

And how do they keep track? Easy.

They’ll treat sale of ammo and re-loading supplies like firearms; it all goes in a DB linked to your PAL #. One day you show up at your local store or BP and get told “you are at your limit, we can’t sell you powder etc right now”.

I mean how would they know what I've expended? I have to call in ever time I make a new box of .303Br ? Lol

I hope this all stays at the recommendation point. Especially since the perp didn't have a PAL and was using smuggled/stolen guns.

While not the ideal solution, black powder can be made easily and cheaply, at home. Lead is abundant to cast bullets. The hang up is primers. Buy lots of them before they classify them.

While not the ideal solution, black powder can be made easily and cheaply, at home. Lead is abundant to cast bullets. The hang up is primers. Buy lots of them before they classify them.

And brass. For .303Br you can only get 2-4 loads out of them before they start fail with case head separation.

Black powder is low pressure. I don't know if that would solve the separation problem.

I've got a number of calibers of brass, including .303, that I've been squirreling away for years.

.303 started life as a black powder cartridge.

I mean how would they know what I've expended? I have to call in ever time I make a new box of .303Br ? Lol

In the “New Canada”, you would have to register your ammo and submit reload and expenditure reports.

You’ll need a permit to transport ammo, and have an RSO sign a declaration before you leave the range you expended X amount of rounds. Because the only place you’ll be allowed to use it is at a range.

Folks might laugh now but…

I hope this all stays at the recommendation point. Especially since the perp didn't have a PAL and was using smuggled/stolen guns.

That doesn’t matter to folks like the current govt who just don’t want people to have guns and think hunting is stupid “if you want meat go to the grocery store”.

There are legal firearms owners who aren’t licensed. If you own antique firearms you do not require a PAL. You can’t buy loaded ammo but you can assemble/manufacture it yourself if you wish. Might be a small subsection of the firearms community but it is a section.

No reason to require a license for possession of ammo, you can’t acquire loaded munitions without a license. Making up a solution for a problem which doesn’t exist.

There are legal firearms owners who aren’t licensed. If you own antique firearms you do not require a PAL. You can’t buy loaded ammo but you can assemble/manufacture it yourself if you wish. Might be a small subsection of the firearms community but it is a section.

No reason to require a license for possession of ammo, you can’t acquire loaded munitions without a license. Making up a solution for a problem which doesn’t exist.

You don't have a license, I do. I go "purchase" 12ga shells and give it them you. Possession vs buying?

Yet.

Reality is that any switched on gang could pay a PAL holder to go buy ammo or components and get them to make it for them, either willingly or unwillingly.

Wow. I just skim-read Volume 4 of the MCC report very quickly and have to say, it really makes some logical leaps.

The recommendations about "Reducing Gun Lethality" in Volume 4, Part D really do rely on generalizations from case studies in AUS, NZL, and the UK without addressing if violence shifted to other means. They acknowledge that the shooter received his firearms illegally, and plough ahead with the Canadian Coalition for Gun Control 's policy position on firearms in general without tempering things by admitting that those policy prescriptions would not have made a whole lot of difference. The recommendations also imply a requirement for a new non-restricted registry, as the whole "prohibiting ammunition purchases" thing absolutely requires that. I also have no idea how their idea to restrict ammunition quantities would work, but it would be very costly for little payoff.

There is some good stuff like educating on gun laws and hotlines to report suspected illegal fireamrs (which seem designed to undermine the CFO though), but then they drop the ball by generalizing about things that everyone already tries like "better coordination." That's kind of like saying "try harder" without offering any executable ideas. They're coming to a party without a casserole.

To be blunt, I didn't read the whole report and examine its logic. But the initial impression I get is that most of the firearms-related recommendations are fluffy pablum and the policy positions of "the usual suspects" that is of limited value, and indeed un-executable in real life.

Last edited:
Back