• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Infanteer said:
Here is a good story illustrating the need for balance and to have effective control measures in place to keep firearms away from yahoos

The problem is that there is no such thing as "effective control measures". Most people do not need "control measures", as they are responsible anyway, and those who do need them do not pay any attention to them.

Purchasing and ownership restrictions, such a licensing schemes and bans, only influence where and from whom one acquires something. They do not and cannot prevent acquisition. Can't buy legally? There are plenty of illegal sources - just like there are for recreational pharmaceuticals.

No law can prevent criminal activity, stupidity, or madness.

Loachman said:
The problem is that there is no such thing as "effective control measures". Most people do not need "control measures", as they are responsible anyway, and those who do need them do not pay any attention to them.

Purchasing and ownership restrictions, such a licensing schemes and bans, only influence where and from whom one acquires something. They do not and cannot prevent acquisition. Can't buy legally? There are plenty of illegal sources - just like there are for recreational pharmaceuticals.

No law can prevent criminal activity, stupidity, or madness.

It can likely prevent a neighbourhood watch guy who was previously convicted of assaulting a police officer from having the right to legally carry a firearm to shoot the guy walking through his gated community for no reason.  If he chooses to get one illegally, then it is a different issue.

Driver's Licences don't stop car thieves from stealing cars and killing pedestrians in high-speed chases, but that isn't an argument to get rid of driver's licences.

I don't find in unreasonable to demand that an individual be qualified and possess a licence to bomb around in an automobile and I find the current PAL to be a reasonable thing for society to demand of anyone wishing to take care and control of a firearm.

Infanteer said:
It can likely prevent a neighbourhood watch guy who was previously convicted of assaulting a police officer from having the right to legally carry a firearm to shoot the guy walking through his gated community for no reason.  If he chooses to get one illegally, then it is a different issue.
Driver's Licences don't stop car thieves from stealing cars and killing pedestrians in high-speed chases, but that isn't an argument to get rid of driver's licences.

I don't find in unreasonable to demand that an individual be qualified and possess a licence to bomb around in an automobile and I find the current PAL to be a reasonable thing for society to demand of anyone wishing to take care and control of a firearm.

I don't see anyone arguing Canadian PAL requirements at all. I'm not sure how you jumped from some guy in Florida to a stance on our licensing system that no one else seems to disagree on.

recceguy said:
I don't see anyone arguing Canadian PAL requirements at all. I'm not sure how you jumped from some guy in Florida to a stance on our licensing system that no one else seems to disagree on.

That's not what I gathered from Loachman saying there were "no such thing as "effective control measures".

My post was to highlight that our system of licensing in Canada catches guys like the Florida story from legally owning a firearm.  Your post right after was agreement with that:

recceguy said:
The incident was in Florida, not Canada. Canada has strict licensing laws and stringent background checks. Thousands of licenses are revoked and suspended yearly in Canada, for various reasons, including mental deficiencies.

The chances of someone in Canada passing the licensing check and being issued a PAL, with a record of assault on a police officer, are near nil.

It looks like we agree that our system is stringent for all the right reasons.  So we agree that there are good control measures in effect.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/03/18/public-stigma-drives-toronto-gun-hobbyists-underground/
Public stigma drives Toronto gun hobbyists underground

By Ruane Remy

Ellen loads five bullets into her favourite pistol, a .22-caliber Browning Challenger, and demonstrates her favourite shooting stances. She begins with two hands holding the gun straight out in front of her, elbows slightly bent and feet hip-width apart for balance before changing poses, with her left hand behind her back, her palm facing outward, and the pistol in her right hand.

She is a Toronto grandmother of two in her mid-sixties and she is sharing her love of guns in mid-winter on a underground range in Toronto’s west end. (That range has since closed; Ellen’s club now shoots at another range in the City of Toronto but will not disclose its location.)

Ellen also won’t share her real name. The request for anonymity reflects a reluctance to disclose personal information in a city in which even legal gun ownership comes with a stigma attached.

“You have to be careful who you talk to,” she says. “It’s like religion and politics.”

MORE AT LINK

Infanteer said:
That's not what I gathered from Loachman saying there were "no such thing as "effective control measures".

My post was to highlight that our system of licensing in Canada catches guys like the Florida story from legally owning a firearm.  Your post right after was agreement with that:

It looks like we agree that our system is stringent for all the right reasons.  So we agree that there are good control measures in effect.

Hmmm, maybe I'm just more hungover than I thought ::)

recceguy said:
Hmmm, maybe I'm just more hungover than I thought ::)

You're allowed to be fuzzy after PPCLI Regimental Day.... :)

recceguy said:
The incident was in Florida, not Canada. Canada has strict licensing laws and stringent background checks.

And the US has its "strict and stringent" instant background check system. We essentially do that too, but have the licence as well. If the licence itself is not good enough without its validation by CFC for each and every transaction, why not dump it and just keep the validation? I have seen no indication that the US system is any weaker than ours, or that ours provides any real benefit beyond theirs.

recceguy said:
Thousands of licenses are revoked and suspended yearly in Canada, for various reasons, including mental deficiencies.

Thousands are denied the ability to legally purchase firearms in the US for the same reasons, without the need to revoke or suspend licences.

recceguy said:
The chances of someone in Canada passing the licensing check and being issued a PAL, with a record of assault on a police officer, are near nil.

According to the article, he had been arrested for that. There was no indication, however, that he had been convicted. If he had been tried and found not guilty, or the charges had been dropped, there would be no reason to prevent him from buying a firearm legally - and that is the same here.

Infanteer said:
It can likely prevent a neighbourhood watch guy who was previously convicted of assaulting a police officer

Arrested for, not convicted of, according to the article.

Infanteer said:
If he chooses to get one illegally, then it is a different issue.

Yes, and he may have done that, although he would be rather unlikely to call 911 if that was the case. Regardless, the result would have been the same.

Infanteer said:

Driver's licences are only required if one chooses to drive on public roads. They are not required if one drives only on one's own property. Driver's licences are not required in order to simply possess a vehicle, or any number of vehicles. Lack of a driver's licence will not get one tossed in jail and a criminal record if one drives on a public road anyway.

Driver's licences are an indication of qualification and competency, and a means of generating funds to pay for public roads. Our earlier Firearms Acquisition Certificate system was quite capable of assuring some minimal level of competency, without criminalizing owners.

Training is far from infallible either - witness the CF ND rate.

Infanteer said:
I don't find in unreasonable to demand that an individual be qualified and possess a licence to bomb around in an automobile

Only on public roads.

Infanteer said:
I find the current PAL to be a reasonable thing for society to demand of anyone wishing to take care and control of a firearm.

I do not. Please explain to me why the lack of a piece of paper should warrant several years in jail and a criminal record. What is the crime?

The training aspects were - and still are - largely covered by more effective requirements for hunting licences and range regulations. Other than those external firearms uses, why should a person need a licence merely to possess something - car or firearm - within the bounds of their own property?

recceguy said:
I don't see anyone arguing Canadian PAL requirements at all.

I am. I'm not the only firearms owner in Canada doing that, either.

Infanteer said:

And I stand by that.

The US Center for Disease Control - hardly a cheerleader for the much-maligned NRA, failed to find any proof that any of the firearms control means that it studied in http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5214a2.htm

And, just yesterday, I received:

http://jiv.sagepub.com/content/early/2012/01/27/0886260511433515

Canadian Firearms Legislation and Effects on Homicide 1974 to 2008

Caillin Langmann, MD, PhD langmann@alumni.sfu.ca
McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Abstract

Canada has implemented legislation covering all firearms since 1977 and presents a model to examine incremental firearms control. The effect of legislation on homicide by firearm and the subcategory, spousal homicide, is controversial and has not been well studied to date. Legislative effects on homicide and spousal homicide were analyzed  using data obtained from Statistics Canada from 1974 to 2008. Three statistical methods were applied to search for any associated effects of firearms legislation. Interrupted time series regression, ARIMA, and Joinpoint analysis were performed. Neither were any significant beneficial associations between firearms legislation and homicide or spousal homicide rates found after the passage of three Acts by the Canadian Parliament-Bill C-51 (1977),C-17 (1991), and C-68 (1995)-nor were effects found after the implementation of licensing in 2001 and the registration of rifles and shotguns in 2003. After the passage of C-68, a decrease in the rate of the decline of homicide by firearm was found by interrupted regression. Joinpoint analysis also found an increasing trend in homicide by firearm rate post the enactment of the licensing portion of C-68. Other factors found to be associated with homicide rates were median age, unemployment, immigration rates, percentage of population in low-income bracket, Gini index of income equality, population per police officer, and incarceration rate. This study failed to demonstrate a beneficial association between legislation and firearm homicide rates between 1974 and 2008.

It costs $25.00 to view the whole study for a day. A tab at the top of the web page says "Institution: CF HEALTH SERVICES GP HQ". I am unsure of the significance of that - was a "gun control" study bankrolled by the CF?

Infanteer said:
My post was to highlight that our system of licensing in Canada catches guys like the Florida story from legally owning a firearm.

Most. Gamil Gharbi (aka Marc Lepine), Kimveer Gill, and Valery Fabrikant are notable exceptions, and there have been other, less publicized cases.

Most such people are stopped from legally purchasing firearms in the US as well, via their background check system.

And it takes a huge leap of faith to believe that merely preventing them from legally acquiring firearms would have had any real effect at all, beyond simply influencing the means of committing their crimes.

Infanteer said:

I do not so agree. Our legislation "controls" those least likely to need any control. Penalties for non-compliance are excessive. Whether through intentional design, incompetence, or a combination of both, the laws are so convoluted, confused, and contradictory that few judges, lawyers, and police can understand them - let alone average firearms owners. Criminals are ignored by our firearms legislation.

Good valid points, and probably just saying mostly the same thing, but you're preaching to the choir. My stance has never been in doubt. ;)

Infanteer said:

The PAL system is despised and had a failure rate of about 50% for people who previously held FAC's to comply with. As soon as the LGR is toast, there will be a push to return to the FAC system with only the training portion of the PAL being retained. What is needed is to remove the Firearms Act from the Criminal Code.

Personally my biggest issue, once the LGR is gone, is having "restricted" class weapons and the registry associated with them. As long as that still exists, firearm owners are still taking it up the you-know-what WRT their rights being violated. All a bureaucrat needs to do is decide a firearm is now restricted and/or prohibited and the law is knocking (or kicking) on your door to seize your property without compensation.

If they get rid of the "restricted" class, and the registry with the data, I can live with needing a PAL. It seems to me the difference between an FAC and a PAL is basically that the PAL requires a safety course (if you can even call it that). There's nothing really wrong in my mind with requiring someone to do some small safety course that provides them with the proper storage laws and tells them to "assume all firearms are loaded until proven otherwise so don't point it at anyone."

Loachman said:
A tab at the top of the web page says "Institution: CF HEALTH SERVICES GP HQ". I am unsure of the significance of that - was a "gun control" study bankrolled by the CF?

You were probably accessing the site from a DWAN terminal.  The DWAN network is a member to many journals or publications sites (e.g. CFC membership to JSTOR) - in this instance, CF Health Services is a subscriber.

ballz said:
Personally my biggest issue, once the LGR is gone, is having "restricted" class weapons and the registry associated with them. As long as that still exists, firearm owners are still taking it up the you-know-what WRT their rights being violated. All a bureaucrat needs to do is decide a firearm is now restricted and/or prohibited and the law is knocking (or kicking) on your door to seize your property without compensation.

If they get rid of the "restricted" class, and the registry with the data, I can live with needing a PAL. It seems to me the difference between an FAC and a PAL is basically that the PAL requires a safety course (if you can even call it that). There's nothing really wrong in my mind with requiring someone to do some small safety course that provides them with the proper storage laws and tells them to "assume all firearms are loaded until proven otherwise so don't point it at anyone."

I'd be totally in favor of a longer training course and more stringent testing standards to be lisenced to own firearms... then eliminate the registery...

At least half of my non-restricted PAL course were house wives were there so they could get their names in on their husbands moose lisence application so it would be considered a "group lisence". Did I have a problem with the group lisence? Not at all... but these people who learned very little to nothing, and despite having the "training" still have no idea what so ever of how to handle a firearm... are still lisenced to do so...

a Sig Op said:
I'd be totally in favor of a longer training course and more stringent testing standards to be lisenced to own firearms... then eliminate the registery...

At least half of my non-restricted PAL course were house wives were there so they could get their names in on their husbands moose lisence application so it would be considered a "group lisence". Did I have a problem with the group lisence? Not at all... but these people who learned very little to nothing, and despite having the "training" still have no idea what so ever of how to handle a firearm... are still lisenced to do so...

That would be the fault of the instructor, not the individual. As well, if they passed the written, verbal and handling test, they met the standard. Painting all the wives as pawns in their husbands licensing game is also a pretty broad brush and totally unfair. More and more females are taking an active interest in the shooting sports, including hunting.

So when is the LGR gone anyway? On what date will I be able to go downtown and buy a normal rifle or shotgun without someone recording my FAC?

Also, does anyone know what happens if I buy a Remington 870 in Cabelas in Nebraska when I am on holidays and then later show up at the Saskatchewan border and declare my purchase to customs and I have not filled out a bunch of paper work prior to my vacation?

a Sig Op said:

I agree with you, and being in St. John's, I am betting we had the same instruction. I observed the same things you are mentioning. The Rooms also had two employees on my PAL-Restricted course because they had to handle pistols and such (completely disabled / filled with lead ::)) who didn't know a rifle from a baseball bat, but somehow passed.

However, RG is right, there are two things to blame, the instructor and/or the standard. The instructor, knowing I was CF personnel and I had gotten 100% on the written, didn't even make me do the handling test. He wanted to "go home and bbq a steak and drink beer" so he signed my paper and off I went. IMO, as you said, the standard to get a PAL could be higher, and I wouldn't think that's a problem.

Loachman, I appreciate your points and arguments so far, you've really convinced me that I'm on the right side of the fence on this issue (you've made it seem much more black/white than I thought the issue was)... and I await your response to the idea of raising the PAL standard (safety-test wise), and look forward to discussing it.

We'll never get anything else repealed if we don't stand together with one voice. If everyone goes around pushing their own agenda, nothing will get done. Sometimes you gotta bend a little for the greater good.

Jed said:
So when is the LGR gone anyway? On what date will I be able to go downtown and buy a normal rifle or shotgun without someone recording my FAC? Um... Never, Your PAL number will still be recorded at the point of sale AFAIK. What will change is the act of registering the firearm with the CFC and having to carry the Reg card whenever you are carrying or transporting your firearm.
Also, does anyone know what happens if I buy a Remington 870 in Cabelas in Nebraska when I am on holidays and then later show up at the Saskatchewan border and declare my purchase to customs and I have not filled out a bunch of paper work prior to my vacation?
Good luck buying a firearm in the US without a US drivers licence or some other proof of citizenship.

You try to buy gun in USA and you will make friends with Homeland Security.  Georgia is about the only place you can get away with it and then only certain gun stores will sell to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back