• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The IMP Cook Book

Acer Syrup

Inactive
Reaction score
I got thinking an exercise ago, about IMP's and the little tip and tricks I have learned about eating them.  Then I got to thinking about all the other tip and tricks that other member may have picked up in the CF over their many years of trying to make the best out of a what you got. So I figured why not start a cook book of some sorts, where people can add their favourite "recipe" or idea.

Just to clarify, I don't really care about what your favourite meal is, or that you remember the days of eating IRP's and all you got was a can of cocktail wieners. No offence, but we don't need another one of those threads.

I've got lots ideas, for example:

I never let a package of hot sauce escape me, it always comes in handy later.

or

Put apple sauce over pork products.

One of the Majors likes to add the mashed potato mix to the left over sauce in the main meal.

I'm hoping that the people who eat them a lot more then me, have some nice recipes up their sleeves for all to share. Be creative.

Tabasco is key.  Or Frank's Red Hot.  I put that **** on everything.

...or those spice containers from MEC, or other outdoor equipment stores, that hold four different spices; I tend towards cajun, curry, garlic, and italian. That's in addition to the hot sauce* of course.

* Interestingly, Dave's Insanity Sauce is the only sauce ever banned from the National Fiery Foods Show.
Being that hot, at least you don't have to weigh down your ruck with a large bottle.....especially if you also have to carry a CASW because you're not mech but some School/DLR dumbasses thought is was the best thing since sliced bread  :stirpot:

On winter ex's, I find heating your bread with your main meals is really good.

Allons-y said:
On winter ex's, I find heating your bread with your main meals is really good.

Whole heartedly agree, cut in half and toast... ohhh ya

Acer Syrup said:
Whole heartedly agree, cut in half and toast... ohhh ya

Not what he meant I think. Probably the same as I do, just toss the bread bag in the water with your meal bag. Heats it up and softens it.

Once the bread is warm, tear it up and toss it in with some heated pitted cherries or peach fruit pack and add some rum .......extract ::)

Hot sauce is a must.

For the breakfast IMPs adding the cereal to the fruit is pretty good. Heat it if possible, good cold too.

Wow don't you guys just line up and have a hot meal handed to you over the steamline?  You know the one. The where you get your soup at 10!!

Go Navy!!  ;D

Journeyman introduced me to the wonder that is Tabasco Chipotle Sauce on an exercise years ago, and I carry a small bottle to the field whenever I go.

That being said, there's an actual IMP cookbook in the works as I understand it, one of my section commanders from Maple Defender this past summer is a genius with IMPs.  He's come up with some incredible ways to put the various things in an IMP to new uses.  This summer, among other things, he concocted a tomato basil rice sort of stew that was a great warmer before we set off on an approach march for an ambush, and he even managed to create a pretty decent chocolate milkshake.

The key is all the stuff that's in there besides the main meal - seasonings, rice, soup mixes, etc.  With those you can make some pretty amazing stuff if you have the time to do so.

Someone once told me to mix Strawberry pudding, instant coffee and instant hot chocolate in hot water - strawberry mocha.

I know nothing about IMPs but a simple and effective way to spice up your meals would be to carry your favourite choice of Mrs. Dash spice combos.  They are salt-free, would last a long time in the field as long as closed tightly.  Each bottle is about 100g. 

Bearpaw

Journeyman said:
* Interestingly, Dave's Insanity Sauce is the only sauce ever banned from the National Fiery Foods Show.
Being that hot, at least you don't have to weigh down your ruck with a large bottle.....especially if you also have to carry a CASW because you're not mech but some School/DLR dumbasses thought is was the best thing since sliced bread  :stirpot:

Fun Fact:

Hot sauce can be weaponized by pouring an inch or so into into an empty water bottle, then cutting open a heater pack and pouring the chemicals in with it.  The chemical reaction causes the hot sauce to boil and become a gas, quickly filling enclosed areas (ie. portable washrooms, LAV Turrets, ect).

I happen to know, for a fact, that Dave's Insanity Sauce is particularly suited to this purpose. ;D

Someone I worked with a couple years back raved about spanish rice and chicken carbonarra. Take the rice packet, dump it in the meal packet, shake it up, and leave it for five to ten. I thought it was pretty good myself when I tried it, but I don't really get into the trading game at dinner.

Wonderbread said:
Fun Fact:

Hot sauce can be weaponized by pouring an inch or so into into an empty water bottle, then cutting open a heater pack and pouring the chemicals in with it.  The chemical reaction causes the hot sauce to boil and become a gas, quickly filling enclosed areas (ie. portable washrooms, LAV Turrets, ect).

I happen to know, for a fact, that Dave's Insanity Sauce is particularly suited to this purpose. ;D
Going to have to try that one day.  Dave's Insanity is just that.  Hint: do not use a urinal after handling Dave's Insanity!  Soak it in bread and leave for racoons is a good way to keep the critters away.

Dave's is good like that.  When I was in high school, someone as a prank put a bit of it into a fellow rugby player's mouthguard (I don't know how he managed to get hold of it or why).  Never seen someone play so angry.

Spanky said:
Hint: do not use a urinal after handling Dave's Insanity! 

Ahhhh. The Viet Vets bunker on Woodward in Detroit 8) I can relate most emphatically :eek: I recall our first brush with that stuff when the bartender took it out of it's little wooden coffin while wearing rubber gloves. That should have been a big hint, but $1.00 Buds had done their damage :blotto: The Jane Fonda urinal targets were pretty cool too.

recceguy said:
Ahhhh. The Viet Vets bunker on Woodward in Detroit 8) I can relate most emphatically :eek: I recall our first brush with that stuff when the bartender took it out of it's little wooden coffin while wearing rubber gloves. That should have been a big hint, but $1.00 Buds had done their damage :blotto: The Jane Fonda urinal targets were pretty cool too.
I have a hazy recollection of that place.... ;D

:eek:ff topic:..... but Dave's Insanity is a great ingredient to shrimp sauce when you are hosting the officers in the mess.  :evil:

I was a fan of pouring the drink crystals into the applesauce when available.  Pretty quick sugar rush.

Slice the bread in half, take the chicken breast from a Spicy Chicken Breast meal, add salt and pepper plus mango chutney and you have a delicious spicy chicken sandwhich.

Meatball sandwhich with meatballs taken from the spagheti is another good one, as is the veal cutlet with the steak sauce.  Delicious steak sandwhich.  Unlike the chicken, the veal's sauce is good and so as to not waste it I like to add the mashed potatoes to thicken it up.  I will usually add soup mixes (mushroom, chicken) to the potatoes as well.

Another favourite is to add the cranberry sauce and instant dressing mix to the chicken vegetable stew.  We call it the Thanksgiving special.  Combines sweet with savoury and the crunchy, dry dressing adds a different texture, thickens it up and makes it stick to the ribs a little better.

Back