• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Khadr Thread

I have to disagree.

1. Await the outcome of the current legal process; and
Agreed.

2. Assuming Khadr is found guilty and sentenced to prison, repatriate him to a Canadian prison IAW the existing Canada/US agreement; or
If he is guilty, he should spend time in a US prison or more appropriately in an Afghani prison as that is where is "crimes" where committed. I do not support Canada shacking this kid up when he did not break the law on our soil. Why should taxpayers have to pay for his incarceration?

3. If he is acquitted, allow him to return to Canada - he is, after all, a Canadian citizen; or
Certainly. The charter of rights and freedom's permits a person with Canadian Citizenship to be allowed to come and go from our borders.

4. If he is convicted on some charges, sentenced, and then charged again with variations of the charges on which he was not convicted: demand his return to Canada to serve out his existing sentences.

I disagree - he needs to sort out any and all legal problems he has with other countries prior to coming here. Canada is not a safe haven for terrorists while they await foreign charges.

As a final note, I am not a fan of this kid or his family being allowed to stay here despite their ties to terrorist support.

Nites

If found guilty, keep him at GITMO or send him to a US prison. I am sure the criminal element and strangly very patriotic inmates at a federal pen would love to say hi to him >:D.

As far as I am concerned, he is Persona non Grata. His passport should be revoked.

Now, what if he is found not-guilty..... well then deport him back to Afganistan. I am sure the "legal" system would be happy to take care of him for us.

Just a couple of questions for all of the posters here,

1. How many of you witnessed the accused of throwing said grenade, that he is accused of?

2. Do you know for a fact that he was not coerced or under duress when the incident happened?

To the best of my knowledge nobody here can answer either yea, or nay to either. Everything else is simply speculation on our part.

How convenient that Omar Khadr wants protection from the same system he set out to fight.

Lest we forget, SFC Christopher J. Speer, September 9, 1973 - August 7, 2002

In all honesty I do not care if anyone saw him throw it or not or that he was coerced or tricked or whatever. He was caught in a terrorist war zone. Period. He was not picked up in downtown Toronto. He was in a place where he should not have been and he now has to live its consequences.

Btw, we seem to be losing the sight of the fact that this whole Kadr family is playing the country like a violin. They live on our medical and humanitarian funds (with the compliments of my hard earned tax dollars) and keep on cursing us Canadians.

Any party who can pass a special law to revoke the Citizenships of these groups of folks will have my forver support.

Neil, he is being tried right now. His lawyers have been filing motions for dismissal and appeals for more than a year now. Just because you don't see a trial doesn't mean there isn't a legal battle going on. Secondly, if due process have been violated then his lawyers can file appropriate legal documents for that. He is still in detention, he gets to eat well and gets medical attention, contrary as to what he whines about.

Yesterday, I politely interupted a conversation between two ladies standing in line at the Walmart. They were talking about the awful situation this individual was enduring. I said, "Excuse my interuption ladies, I would like to kindly remind you that Mr. Khadr would have cut your head off six years ago for being an infidel."

What happens if, say, a Canadian commits a crime in the UAE for some strange reason. Do they get sent back to Canada or do they serve time in their prison?

As if to summarize the majority opinion over the 46 pages on this thread poor misguided little Omar himself said:

"You don't care about me "

I compliment you on your succinct and lucid assessment young man.

I viewed Khadr in the  videotape and instantly wondered "where have I seen that behavior before?" and then it came to me.  There are some populations of middle east and south Asian  families who have moved to No. America that  coddle their kids and have virtually no expectations  of them.  As  children (and especially the boys),  when a teacher asks them to do anything that is remotely challenging, like doing a puzzle, or buttoning their own coat, they often do the EXACT same thing Khadr is doing:  complaining their hand hurts, or you don't like them,  or something.  He even uses the EXACT same facial expressions.  Then the parents whisk them away, cuddlng them and  reinforcing their whines  and learned helplessness.  North American and European kids are not generally treated like that. (These are gross generalizations, mind you.)  When they grow up, they continue to have this "poor me" mentality whenever they  do not get what they want. It is really a shame that this cultural context is not a part of how most Canadians are thinking about this videotape. Khadr's behavior says more to me about how he responds to expectations, than to what the questioner is saying. A prosecuting lawyer would do well to get some video tape of  young kids  acting  like him when they are asked to do their homework or something and the comparison in court would be very powerful.

You are comparing incarceration and sleep deprivation as well as other stress techniques with a  child not being able to complete a puzzle or buttoning a coat. Either your frame of reference is extremely skewed (ie you found it so hard as a child to button a coat that you repeatedly chanted "kill me" when left alone), or you simply have zero empathy and think you could breeze through 5 years + at Gitmo, whatever the crime.

Mr. Khadr should be treated as a child soldier, as he was only 16 at the time.
I watched with some amusement this morning at Senator Dallaire berating the PM for the lack of action the government has taken on behalf of Omar Khadr. Were the Liberals not in power at some time in the last five years?
As for young Omar, let's bring the poor young lad home. Then pack him and his terrorist family up and deport them, ASP.

My son is about the same age as Mr. Khadr, and he's over there doing what needs to be done.

Kilo_302 said:
You are comparing incarceration and sleep deprivation as well as other stress techniques with a  child not being able to complete a puzzle or buttoning a coat. Either your frame of reference is extremely skewed (ie you found it so hard as a child to button a coat that you repeatedly chanted "kill me" when left alone), or you simply have zero empathy and think you could breeze through 5 years + at Gitmo, whatever the crime.

Sleep deprivation, stress techniques... Sounds like exam week. Or worse, first-time parents. Where's the blood? Where's the scars? Bruises? Gimme a break.

Matty Lowe said:
It's a shame we will never see him cry as he walks up to the hangman's scaffold.

Well I think he should be trilled in Texas.  Express line for him, and no more of the Canadian media saying what a poor boy.

IMO our justice system would just let him go  ::)  They don't want to look bad in the court of public opinion  ::)

Blindspot said:
Sleep deprivation, stress techniques... Sounds like exam week. Or worse, first-time parents. Where's the blood? Where's the scars? Bruises? Gimme a break.

Using his baseline as a reference I am going to sue the Canadian government and the Canadian Forces for "torturing" me during my basic training, every exercise I was on and every tour I was on. ::)

Sleep deprivation? Stress techniques? Sounds like TQ 6B Infantry......and a few other things too.

It boggles the mind to think that some would actually compare being a prisoner at Guantanamo for 6 years with a basic training course lasting what, all of 3-4 months? The prisoners at Gitmo have no idea if or when they will be released. They are subject to sleep deprivation and water boarding, and are kept in isolation for much of the time. No comparison.

It is impossible to address all factors in a small post. I  was not addressing the issue of Khadr as a child soldier or anything else he might have experienced that impacts on his case.  I was merely observing that the behavior and demeanor of Khadr  IN THE VIDEO is  identical to what  some children of his culture,  exhibit when under more innocuous forms of stress. Parents will then cuddle the child and take him away from the "mean" teacher who is trying to "torture" him by forcing him to do a puzzle. My point was,  using his behavior in the video as "proof" that he  has been tortured, is not reliable evidence, when many, many young boys of his culture behave the same way for far less  demanding expectations. We need better evidence  and to interpret his behavior within a cultural context.

Back