• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Khadr Thread

Privateer said:
had Khadr been sentenced in Canada

He should never have been sentenced, period.

He should have been treated as a PW, and simply held until cessation of hostilities like any other PW.

I have only one interest in Mr Khadr's incarceration ... assuming he survives (and some members here are correctional officers and I know that they take their duty to maintain the safety etc of the people in their charge very seriously) he will, sooner or later, be released. I believe (maybe just hope) that the conditions of his custody might have some impact on how he comports himself in society.

He is who is; he did what he did; there's nothing we can do about the latter but, maybe, someone can do something about the former ... change him a bit.

Privateer said:
Why?  Just curious.
I don't believe he should be in a Provincial jail.  He should remain in the Federal system as far as I'm concerned.

E.R. Campbell said:
He is who is; he did what he did; there's nothing we can do about the latter but, maybe, someone can do something about the former ... change him a bit.

I also don't believe he will change, honestly change towards something more positive.  As soon as he's released, the family (and others) will get their meat hooks into him again.  Did the Jesuits not say that if they had a child until he was 12 he was theirs for life (or words to that effect)?.  That being said, ER, I do hope I'm wrong and yours is the more optimistic view and hope.

He will survive to see the outside world and walk among us once more. His case is such that it is in the interests of the system to ensure he survives to gain freedom. I would not want to be the Duty Officer,  Shift leader or Correctional Officer who has him get shanked on their watch. They will be subject to scrutiny beyond imagination and possible disciplinary action or administrative measures if they were found to be at fault for it.

I agree with Mr Campbell, he will ultimately be released. I'm very interested in how liberal or restrictive his release conditions are, and what liberties and penalties they contain.

ModlrMike said:
I agree with Mr Campbell, he will ultimately be released. I'm very interested in how liberal or restrictive his release conditions are, and what liberties and penalties they contain.

I am no expert, but some conditions that may be applied are abstinence from drugs/alcohol, curfew, report to parole/probation officers, etc.

I have no idea if any of these may be applied to Mr. Khadr

Brad Sallows said:
>abstinence from drugs/alcohol

No problem if he's an observant Muslim.

True.
The conditions may also include not to associate with gang members or members of radical groups.....

Jim Seggie said:
True.
The conditions may also include not to associate with gang members or members of radical groups.....

Can't associate with his family then. ;)

The whole point of transfer to provincial prison is stupid.  He sued the government to get transferred to Bowden.  Then when he gets to Bowden he sues to get transferred to a provincial prison.  It is simply a game of annoyance.  The minimum security federal Bowden is a lot better prison than the craphole Fort Saskatchewan and I do hope they send him there.  Then he will sue to get to a different prison.  Maybe he will start wearing a dress and want a women's prison.

Rocky Mountains said:
The whole point of transfer to provincial prison is stupid.  He sued the government to get transferred to Bowden.  Then when he gets to Bowden he sues to get transferred to a provincial prison.  It is simply a game of annoyance.  The minimum security federal Bowden is a lot better prison than the craphole Fort Saskatchewan and I do hope they send him there.  Then he will sue to get to a different prison.  Maybe he will start wearing a dress and want a women's prison.

Transgender/sex reassignment operations are now covered.

Rocky Mountains said:

And finally land him in Drumheller... oh is Drumheller just wonderful

Just clarification, Khadr is at the medium security Bowden Instititution, not the minimum security Bowden Institution (there are two)  The minimum security is an annex to the medium security institution
http://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/institutions/001002-4001-eng.shtml
and
http://www.cbc.ca/news/omar-khadr-to-be-moved-to-alberta-medium-security-prison-lawyer-says-1.2501283
I don't know what provincial facilities are like in Alberta but if anything like Ontario, after Khadr steps foot inside a provincial institution, if he steps foot inside one, he'll regret his decision.  They are much more restrictive, no, well very little allowed in the way of personal effects (like clothing, TV's, stereos etc)  In federal custody inmates are allowed a lot more.
Not to mention, does a transfer to provincial custody imply a reduced sentence too.  Provincial custody is for those serving sentences two years less a day
BTW I have no personal knowledge of the Khadr file, just general information from twenty nine years in the Correctional Service of Canada

Tom

I haven't been a case management officer in a long time but I dug this up about inmate security classification, and how an inmate is determined to be maximum, medium or minimum security.
From this link
http://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/acts-and-regulations/705-7-cd-eng.shtml#s2d

Security Classification
27.An inmate will be classified as: a.maximum security where the inmate is assessed by the Service as:
i.presenting a high probability of escape and a high risk to the safety of the public in the event of escape, or
ii.requiring a high degree of supervision and control within the penitentiary

b.medium security where the inmate is assessed by the Service as:
i.presenting a low to moderate probability of escape and a moderate risk to the safety of the public in the event of escape, or
ii.requiring a moderate degree of supervision and control within the penitentiary

c.minimum security where the inmate is assessed by the Service as:
i.presenting a low probability of escape and a low risk to the safety of the public in the event of escape
ii.requiring a low degree of supervision and control within the penitentiary

Tom

expwor said:
I don't know what provincial facilities are like in Alberta but if anything like Ontario, after Khadr steps foot inside a provincial institution, if he steps foot inside one, he'll regret his decision. 

I knew someone who was in both Fort Saskatchewan and Peace River provincial prisons.  We sent him money once in a while because other than the basics, nothing is free.  Because most inmates are out in a max of  6 or 8 months, apparently fewer programs are offered than with the feds.  Mind you they must have some contingency for long-term young offenders.

Rocky Mountains said:
I knew someone who was in both Fort Saskatchewan and Peace River provincial prisons.  We sent him money once in a while because other than the basics, nothing is free.  Because most inmates are out in a max of  6 or 8 months, apparently fewer programs are offered than with the feds.  Mind you they must have some contingency for long-term young offenders.

Man, you just keep stacking up the points with your personal list of undesirables and acquaintances you have on the other side of the law.

expwor said:
Just clarification, Khadr is at the medium security Bowden Instititution, not the minimum security Bowden Institution (there are I don't know what provincial facilities are like in Alberta but if anything like Ontario, after Khadr steps foot inside a provincial institution, if he steps foot inside one, he'll regret his decision.  They are much more restrictive, no, well very little allowed in the way of personal effects (like clothing, TV's, stereos etc) In federal custody inmates are allowed a lot more.
Not to mention, does a transfer to provincial custody imply a reduced sentence too.  Provincial custody is for those serving sentences two years less a day
BTW I have no personal knowledge of the Khadr file, just general information from twenty nine years in the Correctional Service of Canada

Tom

Unless he gets sent to the new Southwest Detention Centre in Windsor. All mods and pods there. Direct supervision model.;)

http://www.mcscs.jus.gov.on.ca/english/corr_serv/ProposedSouthWestDetentionCentre/swdc_welcome_pub.html
http://blackburnnews.com/windsor/windsor-news/2014/05/02/south-west-detention-centre-ready/

recceguy said:
Man, you just keep stacking up the points with your personal list of undesirables and acquaintances you have on the other side of the law.

But I only knew one guy well enough to give money to.  Every week someone is being sent away by the local court and I know a fair bunch of them. 

Back