• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Khadr Thread

Kat Stevens said:
There's not a medium security pen in Ontario he can go to?  Isn't he a product of Mississauga or some other part of that festering urban toilet?  Why inflict him on Alberta?  We didn't do nothin'.

I don't want him anywhere near Kingston!

Kat Stevens said:
There's not a medium security pen in Ontario he can go to?  Isn't he a product of Mississauga or some other part of that festering urban toilet?  Why inflict him on Alberta?  We didn't do nothin'.
He's been a .... guest in Alberta since May of this year  ;D

Kat Stevens said:

Why put him up in Ontario where his family would have such easy access to him? 

I never really understood why charges were/are not laid against the mother, that resides in Canada. Did she not have any parental responsibilities of keeping her Canadian born-'son' away from terrorists, rather than pushing him towards terrorism?

ERR said:
I never really understood why charges were/are not laid against the mother, that resides in Canada. Did she not have any parental responsibilities of keeping her Canadian born-'son' away from terrorists, rather than pushing him towards terrorism?

Despite the need to otherwise, its not against the law to be a terrible parent. Now, I'm not a lawyer but is there not child endangerment laws? Wouldn't that be excellent if it blew up in Mr. Khadr's face because his parents were locked up, after he tried to use them as a scapegoat for his actions.

PuckChaser said:
Despite the need to otherwise, its not against the law to be a terrible parent. Now, I'm not a lawyer but is there not child endangerment laws? Wouldn't that be excellent if it blew up in Mr. Khadr's face because his parents were locked up, after he tried to use them as a scapegoat for his actions.

I'll take a stab at this but start right off by saying this is not within my area of expertise.

There are Criminal Code offences directed vis a vis children such a s 215 - failing to provide the necessities of life; and other general offences such as assault or sexual assault but none of those are applicable here.

Generally the welfare of children comes under the various Provincial Child and Family Services laws all of which are designed to protect a child that is at risk or in need of protection ultimately by removing the child from the family when all else fails. Really too late for that here.

To the best of my knowledge there is no offence for endangering a child as you see it. There might have been for aiding or abetting terrorism but those were put into our legislation after 2001 and I would presume that whatever law was in effect at the time has been run around within Justice and, considering no charges have been laid to date, considered to be a case with either no likelihood of conviction or otherwise undesirable to prosecute.

:cheers:

I know we're stuck with Omar due to his being born here in Canada, but there's member's of his family that weren't.  Momma for example.  Send her packing back to whence she came.  Maybe the rest would follow.

The latest from CBC.ca:
The lawyer for former Guantanamo Bay inmate Omar Khadr says his client is to be transferred to a federal medium-security prison in central Alberta.

Dennis Edney said Khadr is to be moved to the Bowden Institution near the town of Innisfail, but it is not clear when.

"Mr. Khadr has been reclassified as a medium-security threat and will be eventually transferred to Bowden as a medium (security) prisoner," Edney said Friday.

"He is not presently being transferred, but at some point in the near future we anticipate that he will be transferred to Bowden." ....

Let's not get too excited. There are a few facts we need to consider:

[o] Mr Khard is a Canadian, born here. He's also a convicted felon serving a sentence.

[o] The Correctional Services folks are duty bound to make him ready ~ as "ready" as possible ~ to rejoin society ... hopefully as a law abiding member of our society.

[o] He will be released; he will "walk amongst us again.

:-\

E.R. Campbell said:
[o] The Correctional Services folks are duty bound to make him ready ~ as "ready" as possible ~ to rejoin society ... hopefully as a law abiding member of our society.

Somehow, that's just another big "hope", since his vitriolic, openly anti-Western sister, Zaynab Khadr will probably influence "her poor little brother" to take up arms again. 

IMO, they should just strip both her and him of citizenship, rendering them stateless, and ship them to Egypt or Palestine where they have blood relatives on both sides of their family. 

Born here or not, the Khadrs give a bad name to immigrant families who have worked hard to stay in this country and appreciate all Canada has to offer- including its values.   

S.M.A. said:
Somehow, that's just another big "hope", since his vitriolic, openly anti-Western sister, Zaynab Khadr will probably influence "her poor little brother" to take up arms again. 

IMO, they should just strip both her and him of citizenship, rendering them stateless, and ship them to Egypt or Palestine where they have blood relatives on both sides of their family. 

Born here or not, the Khadrs give a bad name to immigrant families who have worked hard to stay in this country and appreciate all Canada has to offer- including its values. 

Syria might be an option.

He was born here, and I do not know if we could strip him of citizneship.

Jim Seggie said:
He was born here, and I do not know if we could strip him of citizneship.
Nope - same with sister, who was born in Ottawa.

Also, we're now hearing something slightly different .....
Lawyer Dennis Edney says his client Omar Khadr will not be transferred to a federal medium-security prison, following a report he said misquoted him.

Edney said that there is no immediate plan to move Khadr out of the maximum-security prison in Edmonton, where he is currently being held. But Edney says he's been told his client may eventually be moved to the Bowden Institution, a federal medium-security prison located in Innisfail, Alta.

He said the reason for the move is that Khadr has been reclassified as a medium-security inmate, and is no longer supposed to be held in a maximum-security prison ....

Here's what the lad's support web page has to say ....
Last Friday February 7, Omar Khadr moved to the medium security prison Bowden Institution and Annex. The transfer is a step closer to justice and freedom, as he can finally earn his parole that allows his reintegrating into society. Many Canadians are pleased that the new classification will allow Omar to access programs, and services. However, it doesn’t alleviate the fact that Omar’s imprisonment is an abuse of human rights and the rule of law.

Dennis Edney, Omar’s lawyer said “My position is similar to that of the Ombudsman’s office he should be classified as minimum and released.” ....
Standby for media to follow?

Maybe his loyal but misled minions can house and feed and supervise this snake and his family.  :rage:

Why are they so concerned with his rights.....never mind.....

I'm more interested in justice for Chris Speer and his family.

KevinB said:
I'm more interested in justice for Chris Speer and his family.
Moving forward from there, we have the latest ....
The widow of a U.S. special forces soldier killed in Afghanistan and an American soldier blinded by a grenade are suing Canada's Omar Khadr for close to $50 million, The Canadian Press has learned.

In the lawsuit filed Thursday in Utah, Tabitha Speer and Sgt. Layne Morris allege Khadr, then 15, was responsible for the death of Sgt. Christopher Speer and Morris's injuries in July 2002.

The factual basis for the suit, according to their lawyer, is Khadr's guilty plea to five war crimes before a U.S. military commission in Guantanamo Bay in October 2010 that saw him sentenced to a further eight years in prison.

The plea deal included a stipulation of facts in which Khadr, now 27, admitted to murder and attempted murder in violation of the rule of war, and three other war crimes.

“We took his own very words,” lawyer Don Winder said in an interview from Salt Lake City.

“We do not think there is any basis for his denial.”

The Toronto-born Khadr, currently incarcerated in the Bowden Institution in Innisfail, Alta., has since said he only pleaded guilty to get out of Guantanamo Bay and be returned to Canada.

Reached in Edmonton, Khadr's lawyer said his client had yet to be served with the suit nor has he ever had an opportunity to defend himself in a civil proceeding.

“They have no evidence,” Dennis Edney said in an interview.

“They are relying upon the tainted, internationally decried Guantanamo process.” ....

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/05/22/omar-khadr-sued-soldier-widow-50-million_n_5375344.html

The Toronto-born Khadr, currently incarcerated in the Bowden Institution in Innisfail, Alta., has since said he only pleaded guilty to get out of Guantanamo Bay and be returned to Canada.

So?  Now he is saying he lied.  What lies will he tell in the future?

Some backstory on previous (unsuccessful) American litigation ....
The U.S. government is fighting a judge's order to hand over a suspected terrorist financier's money to a wounded Utah soldier and an Army medic's widow.

Federal officials have frozen the funds, but the U.S. government cannot hand over any money because it is not subject to rulings in civil lawsuits, says U.S. Attorney Jeffrey Taylor.

The lawsuit was brought by Layne Morris, 45, West Jordan, and the family of Sgt. Christopher Speer, 28, Albuquerque, N.M., who was killed during a 2002 gun battle in Afghanistan.

Morris, who lost his right eye in the firefight, and Speer's widow sued their young attacker's father, Omar Khadr, whom federal officials say was financier to Osama bin Laden and al-Qaida.

In 2006, U.S. District Judge Paul Cassell awarded Morris and Speer's widow $102 million. Cassell also ordered the U.S. Treasury to release any frozen assets owned by Khadr.

But Taylor filed a motion this month, saying the U.S. government has sovereign immunity, and any wavier of that power must be "unequivocally" spelled out in individual laws.

"Although sovereign immunity may be waived," said the motion, "there is no waiver in this case."

Taylor also said the U.S. government cannot turn over the assets because it does not own them.

Thus, Morris and Speer's widow must garnishee the funds from whoever has possession of Khadr's assets.

Morris' attorney, Jerry Hale, said the court already has ruled that Khadr's funds are to be released, under the U.S. Terrorism Act.

"The act says the money is there to be paid out, but on the other hand, the U.S. government is not subject to the rule of the court," said Hale. "The motion makes no sense."

Hale said if the U.S. government won't release the funds, the plaintiffs will again ask that federal officials divulge where the assets are located. Treasury spokeswoman Molly Millerwise, however, has repeatedly said it is the plaintiffs' responsibility to find out for themselves ....

:facepalm:

Knowing some of the guys who where on the raid that Chris Speer died on, it appalls me that Omar is living in Canada.  I hope they sue successfully and he lives the rest of his life owing every penny he makes (I really hope someone shanks him in the prison first though).

Back