• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Khadr Thread

Hello to all warm and fuzzy members and guests.

In my opinion, this person has deliberatly taken the life of an American citizen, and is being held and will be tried by Americans. Its an American legal process, none of our business.

Let them brunt the bills, and not our taxpayers. He can rot in their gaols, not Canadian ones.

Being Canadian, and a Canadian terrorist for that matter, does not give one special conditions.

Meanwhile this video is getting plenty of play in Australia today. As I said in on another thread, and so are Harper's views into it.

Happy days,

OWDU

Overwatch Downunder said:
Hello to all warm and fuzzy members and guests.

In my opinion, this person has deliberatly taken the life of an American citizen, and is being held and will be tried by Americans. Its an American legal process, none of our business.

lLt them brunt the bills, and not our taxpayers. He can rot in their gaols, not Canadian ones.

Being Canadian, and a Canadian terrorist for that matter, does not give one special conditions.

Meanwhile this video is getting plenty of play in Australia today. As I said in on another thread, and so are Harper's views into it.

Happy days,

OWDU

What's the Australian take on it....are they all teared up over the poor lad and ready to rip Harper a new one, or the opposite?

First of all Khadr wasn't a child soldier; international law only recognizes those under the age of 15 as child soldiers. Khadr was 15-year-old when he was captured. I hope the traitor is sentenced to SuperMax and lives to be at least 90 years of age.

GAP said:
What's the Australian take on it....are they all teared up over the poor lad and ready to rip Harper a new one, or the opposite?

Don't know. Will advise  ;D

Neil McKay, just checked my pocket.  Sorry, but I am all out of sympathy for him.  He has sown, so now it is time to reap the whirlwind.  He can rot for all I care.  To agree with his quote on the CBC site, "You don't care about me".  Too right, I don't!!!!! plus I won't apologise for my attitude either and that goes for the rest of his clan to boot.  And I would still feel the same if he was my Son, perhaps doubly so.

riggermade said:
Did the guy he killed get his day?

In most western democracies when you're thought to have killed someone you're put on trial, and if convicted you're send to jail for what may turn out to be the rest of your life.  But being locked up for six years without a trial isn't on.

15 YEARS OLD!! I can't emphasize that enough.

This boy's father put a gun into his hands at 15 years of age and sent him off to fight, and people are acting like the kid is Rudolph f***ing Hess. No one on this board would allow this kid to play contact hockey without a visor, and yet he's been held indefinitely without trial, has been subject to some form(s) of torture, and looks to be spending probably the rest of his life in a hole, whether or not he even gets his secret military tribunal. For something he did in grade 9.

That is nothing short of a disgrace.

I don't support or encourage what he did, and I'm not recommending that my 13 year old brother fly off to Afghanistan and shoot at western soldiers. I'm not vouching for this guy's character, and I'm not saying that he can rejoin society as a contributing member. I also don't expect many on this board to have deep sympathy for him, given that he was actively trying to kill people in your line of work.

But I'll be damned before I advocate putting a 15 year old BOY in solitary confinement until he DIES. Especially when his 'war crime' is being in a firefight with occupying military forces without wearing a uniform. Ernst Kaltenbrunner was a war criminal. Radovan Karadzic is a war criminal. Khadr was a brainwashed junior high kid. If we ever catch Karadzic, how many nights do you think he'll have to sleep in the open on a cement pad in a chicken wire enclosure? 

If Alberta was overrun by an invading army of Islamic fundamentalists, intent on imposing the laws of their religion, and my father put a gun in my hands at 15 and told me to fight back, I probably would have done it in a heartbeat. Even if I wasn't living in Alberta at the time. You can all tear a strip up one side of me and down the other, but if I was in this kid's shoes, I probably would have done the exact same thing.

Ok, heres my controversial two cents.

I think that the international laws on underage offenders are a bit silly, and here is why.  It makes sense to have these laws in Countries where childhood is structured and mostly all kids develop the same way.  Which is to say you are born, grow up go to school, graduate, and then go to post-secondary, work, or maybe even the military.  Like Canada for instance, these laws make sense.

In other parts of the world, kids are born, grow up and then learn how to kill people.  They learn how to shoot guns, fight battles, and throw grenades at an early age.  I mean I understand what these laws try to do but age is nothing more than a physical measurement.  Childhood takes on a much different meaning in other parts of the world.  Not too mention how short it can be in some places.  If this young man had the skills, knowledge, and desire to kill an American Soldier, I believe he should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.  His Dad should go away too in my opinion, but the fact that his father took him over there does not change the fact that he made the conscious decision to take a life.

I also believe that the only reason this story is under the microscope is because he is Canadian National.  And people look at this like "wow we don't treat Canadians this way."  Strange how a piece of paper with your birthplace on it can cause so much controversy.  I am more than anything curious to know how this young man was raised.  Who he was taught to respect, what countries ideals he learned to follow, etc etc.  That would give a better picture on his moral state when he committed the act itself.  So many unanswered questions...

Cheers, Kyle.

FoverF said:
[/i] Especially when his 'war crime' is being in a firefight with occupying military forces without wearing a uniform.

I'm sorry but when did we become a country with an occupying military presence??? Oh that's right were not!  He was not in Canada protecting himself, he went over there with his father to fight the infidels.  All he would have needed to say was help I don't want to do this, and someone would have given him aid.  But he did not behave like a Canadian would or should behave. Now that it is convenient to be Canadian he is trying (as well as his lawyers) to play that card.  Was he raised in Canada? Did he not have access to the Canadian school system? He should have known on some level of what he was doing was wrong. If he had not been injured and caught do you think he would be claiming what a proud Canadian he is? I certainly don't.

Kaleigh

FoverF said:
That is nothing short of a disgrace.

Dear Mr Fover,

I don't think so, but why don't you tell that to the family of the soldier killed.

How anyone can have pity for a terrorist who thrives on our own blood, I will never understand.

Its really none of our business how the US deals with murdering terrorists who they have caught killing their soldiers.

Even the Canadian PM approves with this terrorist in question.

In their culture they also put 15 yr old boys in charge of battalions of grown men. They do not have the same values and morales as us, but I guess you have to live it to comprehend that.

Too bad they did not finish him on the battlefield, but thats hindsight, and thats always 20/20.

Thankyou for your time to post your view.

Happy days,

OWDU

If this kid did throw the grenade that killed that American Medic he needs to be tried and punished.  He's only been accused though so I'm not going to pass judgment till he is tried.    It's going to be a bad day if this kid is found to not have killed that Man.  Combat is an amazing experience and it does weird things to mind and memory. 

Guess what no one on this site was there when this event happened so we really don't know what the heck happened.  We are speculating at best.  However,  I think most members would agree that were they to screw up in the course of the military careers that they would be entitled to due process.           

Imagine, for a minute, that this kid had been freed into Canada in 2004 or so.  Now imagine, for a minute, that he'd linked up with the accused terroists in Toronto prior to 2006 and passed on his AQ acquired combat/teerorist/counterintelligence skills and knowledge.

Now imagine him throwing grenades in the House of Commons, with mom and sis in the visitors gallery cheering him on.

He's just fine right where he is.

Wow Haggis that's lots of speculation.  It ignores the fact the Toronto Cell was under constant CSIS, police and even DND surveillance and that the state would have not been monitoring Khadr after his release.  The Toronto Cell did not need a 15 year old teaching them-they had there own trainers, including a former CF reservists (who was also a double agents).  I can tell you have not been to Parliament recently as you seem completely unaware of the security there.  He should be punished for crimes if he is found guilty not for nonsensical theories.     

stegner said:
Guess what no one on this site was there when this event happened so we really don't know what the heck happened.  We are speculating at best.   However,  I think most members would agree that were they to screw up in the course of the military careers that they would be entitled to due process.           

Dear Sir,

So you would rather have our tax dollars spent on this terrorist, who would soon kill you as much as me.

He killed a US soldier, was captured by the US, and is in US custody. Its really none of our business.

Its an American situation, in which is being treated like all others, who are detained in Cuba. he is getting no special treatment.

Thanking you for your opinion,

Happy days,

OWDU

stegner said:
Wow Haggis that's lots of speculation.

Yep, sure is, isn't it?  No worse than the Globe and Mail, though.

stegner said:
It ignores the fact the Toronto Cell was under constant CSIS, police and even DND surveillance and that the state would have not been monitoring Khadr after his release. 

DND surveillance... really???  I never saw that memo.

stegner said:
The Toronto Cell did not need a 15 year old teaching them-they had there own trainers, including a former CF reservists (who was also a double agents). 

Apparently they needed all the help they could get. They got caught.

stegner said:
I can tell you have not been to Parliament recently as you seem completely unaware of the security there.

Yes, I have.  In fact I run on and past Parliament Hill quite often during PT.  Now I ask you:  is that security not in response to this plot?

stegner said:
He should be punished for crimes if he is found guilty not for nonsensical theories. 

"Nonsensical" is quite an adjective to ascribe to my theories which are, in fact, no wilder than some of those postulated by the MSM regarding Bush's GWOT and our "ineffective" role in it.

In WW2 and conflicts since then if you were a POW were you released after a set number of years ? Nope. Prisoners werent released until the war ended. Being a POW has no limitation on how long you are held. While these terrorists arent POW's they are being treated as such.Those that have been released have gone back to rejoin the fight. These are dangerous people who wont quit until they are dead. This is something people dont understand. The left wants people to think that a bunch of farmers were shipped off to Gitmo. Frankly if it werent important to get information from these guys I would favor a take no prisoners approach to the war on terror.

He was 13 when he entered a terrorist training camp, 15 when he was wounded and allegedly killed a US soldier. He was 16 when the video was shot. Holding him in solitary at Gitmo makes no sense, and is illegal by any international definition.

Back