• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"The Last Ship" tv series depicts USN AEGIS destroyer fighting global pandemic

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
...directed by Michael Bay.

In the new "The Last Ship" series, it's an AEGIS/Arleigh Burke class DDG forced to help the world fight against a global pandemic...

"The Last Ship" series trailer

In the original "The Last Ship" novel, if I can recall correctly, it was a Spruance class DDG forced to survive in a nuclear wasteland world in the aftermath of a nuclear exchange between the US and USSR. And if I can recall correctly from the novel, the ship encounters a Soviet SSN and the Americans have to decide whether the Russian sub crew is still their enemy...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Ship

"The Last Ship" series comes out in Summer, 2014 on the US network TNT.

Michael Bay again changed another perfectly good story to suit his vision...

...as if his upcoming "Teenage Mutant ALIEN Turtles" rehash idea of the 1980s cartoon "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" series wasn't bad enough.  :facepalm:

On the Beach is a remake of a Gregory Peck movie from the 50s.  Peck was a big anti-nuclear crusader.

Lightguns said:
On the Beach is a remake of a Gregory Peck movie from the 50s.  Peck was a big anti-nuclear crusader.

And your point is?    ???

PMedMoe said:
And your point is?    ???

Is there a requirement to have a point and a slant in every post, can one not make conversation without trying to push a POV?  I put in an interesting (what I thought was, anyaway) factoid about the producer and star of a movie based on an old movie.

Lightguns said:
Is there a requirement to have a point and a slant in every post, can one not make conversation without trying to push a POV?  I put in an interesting (what I thought was, anyaway) factoid about the producer and star of a movie based on an old movie.

The movie was based on the book by Nevil Shute.  By stating that Peck was a "big anti-nuclear crusader", you did seem as though you were "pushing a POV".  I was just wondering what it had to do with the original post.  :dunno:

LOL, no, I thought it was interesting tidbit on the origin of the movie.  But for a POV, I would say that it is interesting that in the 1950s (and early 1960s) such a movie was made at all must have been a love child of Peck.  The message was certainly counter productive to the official US Government response to Civil Defense and surviving a nuclear war. 

Well, I doubt Peck had anything to do with the actual making of the movie, but his stance probably made it easier for him to accept the role.  ;)

Let me guess Hollywood will have them running around at full power, because fuel tanks never run out. Wiki suggests the range is 4400 nm at 20kts. Enough to get to New Zealand and beach her.

Well, did anyone else here watch it?

Thought the pilot episode was rather entertaining, even if they did mess up on the first battle scene by using US CH53s to depict Russian helicopters. If they were going to use CGI, they could have used CGI models of Hind helos instead.  :facepalm:

S.M.A. said:
Well, did anyone else here watch it?

Thought the pilot episode was rather entertaining, even if they did mess up on the first battle scene by using US CH53s to depict Russian helicopters. If they were going to use CGI, they could have used CGI models of Hind helos instead.  :facepalm:

They did say that the Russian Government has fallen and these were a "Private Interest Group" personnel. 

A quick blurb:

Update:

""The Last Ship," which garnered 5.3 million viewers at 9 p.m., now ranks as cable's #1 series launch for the year-to-date."

S.M.A. said:
A quick blurb:

Update:

""The Last Ship," which garnered 5.3 million viewers at 9 p.m., now ranks as cable's #1 series launch for the year-to-date."

Doesn't really mean anything. When a new show premiers, viewers check it out. If the show is any good, the number stay high; if not, the numbers drop.

Same thing at the box office. A new "blockbuster" appears on Friday and you can practically guarantee that come Monday its the number one movie in sales.  Again, if its good, the numbers stay high, if the reviews are bad, the numbers go down.

Its how many people are watching the show two-three weeks down the road that will tell you if the show survives or not.

Tried just now to watch the pilot.  Couldn't make it past the 14 minute mark.  Things that wouldn't bother a non-sailor such as no flash gear worn for the missile shoot, forget about General Quarters and they seem to be roaring around for 4 months etc without a RAS for fuel or food but seem to still have plenty of both.  Sorry but I can't get beyond the myriad of technical things that it will have to enjoy it for it's entertainment value.

What I did notice and interested me greatly was the CPF parked right behind the Yanks at "Norfolk"  (Palm trees too...) .  It was also flying the now Naval Jack (Maple Leaf) as the Ensign which means this was filmed before the swap between Jack and Ensign.  Could not ID her but she was pre-FELEX.  Wonder who she was from the West Coast.

Gotta be able to turn your brain off to that stuff. Like watching "Enlisted". Hilarious show if you suspend knowledge that absolutely none of it would ever remotely happen in the real Army.

jollyjacktar said:
Tried just now to watch the pilot.  Couldn't make it past the 14 minute mark.  Things that wouldn't bother a non-sailor such as no flash gear worn for the missile shoot, forget about General Quarters and they seem to be roaring around for 4 months etc without a RAS for fuel or food but seem to still have plenty of both.  Sorry but I can't get beyond the myriad of technical things that it will have to enjoy it for it's entertainment value.

What I did notice and interested me greatly was the CPF parked right behind the Yanks at "Norfolk"  (Palm trees too...) .  It was also flying the now Naval Jack (Maple Leaf) as the Ensign which means this was filmed before the swap between Jack and Ensign.  Could not ID her but she was pre-FELEX.  Wonder who she was from the West Coast.

HMCS OTTAWA

Thanks for the ID. SeaKingTacco.

I agree, Puck, you need to suspend disbelief if you're going to watch a show like that.  I just can't in this case as I am a sailor.  Perhaps if I was a soldier or airman where I wouldn't have the insider knowledge so to speak.  So, I'll need to give it a pass.  I suppose it's because they're trying to make it realistic and not a science fiction show or movie like "Battleship".  That one was nonsense and I could make the leap and for some inexplicable reason, enjoy it. 

Back