• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Martial Arts Superthread

I have had my face crushed with a heel kick in a kickboxing match. It broke my nose and punched in my face so that my teeth did not line up properly. It didn't knock me out but the ref wouldn't let me continue because I looked like a freak show attraction.

I had my rib cartilage torn (by Dale Pearnton former NY Ranger Goon -hell of a fight he was way bigger and mean but I did alright!) This was a painful injury that took forever to heal.

I broke most of my toes at one point or another and bones in each hand have been broken.

I have had terrible leg bruises from leg kicks that hobbled me for a week or more.

I have had neck injuries from being thrown by Judo guys (bastards!) and hyper extended joints from Jujitsu guys.

I just realized,  I must not be very good at this stuff!  It is fun though, and hey, there is not much more satisfying than landing a good hard smack on someone's noggin' or knocking someone to the ground with a good body shot.  >:D

The stoopidest injury ever inflicted upon me was when I tried my new roundhouse using the ball of my foot as the striking surface. I managed to snag the heavy bag with only my little toe. I've learned that you can't really splint a little toe, you just have to hate walking for a while. It still hurts for no apparent reason sometimes. And I only use my shinbone for roundkicks now.

Broke my collar bone during an aikido practice. Good thing it was in the summer and I had a month to recover before going back to school. Being righty and using left arm all of a sudden sucks. That pretty much ended my Aikido thing.

sober_ruski said:
Broke my collar bone during an aikido practice. Good thing it was in the summer and I had a month to recover before going back to school. Being righty and using left arm all of a sudden sucks. That pretty much ended my Aikido thing.
Where is this club? I thought Aikido was supposed to be gentle. Is there a bad-ass subdiscipline out there I haven't heard of? I plan to start Aikido someday because it said to be one you can still do when you get old and feeble.

It was gentle. That day we were practicing rolls from standing position for the first time. I did it fine from my left arm, but right arm roll didnt work as well as i planned. Instead of rolling, i just smacked down on my shoulder and entire force of the impact transfered to the collar bone. Still have a "lump" where it broke.

Speaking of a stupid Aikido injury: I did a 180 pivot, and my little toe got stuck between two mats, broke with a little "snap" like breaking a chicken wing . Didn't even really hurt for a minute. I just stood there having a kind of "oh, wow, did that really happen?" moment.

I Broke a chunk of bone between my big toe and next toe the size of
a quarter somehow while sparring. Also, I tore my groin. Some ligament
or something down my leg and cant do splits anymore let alone a kick
higher than my stomach now  :crybaby:
Oh yea. Forgot I blew out my calf during a match when a guy landed on it.

I'm aware there is a thread on this if anyone wants to tell me to use the search function, but my question was not answered so here it is. I heard there are many clubs available after your basic training such as golf, martial arts, sports ect. I was wondering, are these clubs open to Reservists. I was wondering because I have a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu background and love it to death. Also second part of the question is what level of your Basic must you be finished, in order to participate in these, is it your SQ or must you be finished your MOC aswell? I was not sure which thread to post this in, but since the thread that I stumbled over about clubs in the army was in this section I decided to post it here. Any answers would be great, thanks.

These programs are offered with PSP at your local base. Please check your DND gym.

If you're looking to compete as a military competitor, then TaeKwonDo is the only "sanctioned" martial art. You can compete in other forms, but TKD has the only CF team. You can train during all parts of your career, but I would recommend that you train at the maintenance level until you finish your QL3. After your trade training, you should be able to train full bore.

Try these for more info...

Martial Arts in the CF - in Radio Chatter

Hand to Hand Combat - in Training

Martial Arts in Petawawa - in The Canadian Military

Martial Arts Training in Guelph - in Radio Chatter

Gyms and Martial Arts in Edmonton - in Radio Chatter

Military Martial Arts - in Training

Soldiers use aggressor's energy through Aikido - in Military Current Affairs & News

Why has the Canadian military forgotten its rich history in unarmed combat? - in The Canadian Military

Self Defence and Protecting Canadians - in Canadian Politics

Which One? - in Training

Unarmed combat - in The Canadian Military

I have a folk down here, that has his Pro Card for Boxing, and does it off the side.

What martial arts to they teach at CFB Edmonton? What about other bases (if you know)?

I know that there's taekwondo on the base, and there may be judo. There's plenty of martial arts taught in the area just south of the base.

I for one am. I study/do kyokushin karate, and judo. I have done bjj, taekwondo and freestyle wrestling.

I'm curious as to who are the MA's on this forum.

Shao-Lin kung fu for 10 yrs. Reality based for 2, moving towards Defendo.

Future Prodigy said:
I for one am. I study/do kyokushin karate, and judo. I have done bjj, taekwondo and freestyle wrestling.

I'm curious as to who are the MA's on this forum.

Have you really done Tae Kwon Do? If so, is your instructor/"dan" working for the WTF or the ATF?

What belt are you? And NO, there is no such thing as a "junior black belt".  ::)

BTW, your thread title is very astute. It should be titled "Who here is AN active martial artist?".

Started Shindo Jujitsu last year. It has been great and the club was exactly what I was looking for.

CougarDaddy said:
Have you really done Tae Kwon Do? If so, is your instructor/"dan" working for the WTF or the ATF?

What belt are you? And NO, there is no such thing as a "junior black belt".  ::)

BTW, your thread title is very astute. It should be titled "Who here is AN active martial artist?".

?? What?? That came way out from left field!? I 'studied' WTF, I have never even heard of ATF (did you mean ITF!?), and my instructor was a 4th degree... Kyle something (?) from waterloo.

Have you done any MA's cougar daddy?! You have come in here and commented on other things but have not given us any information on your training background?

Back