• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Never-ending Roaming of Navy Accoutrements

Of course the navy would say that...
confused big brother GIF by Big Brother After Dark

Man everything seems to come back to Army Res and Reg F relationship and structuring, or lack there of eh ?

I had no idea Naval dress ideas were part of the problem.
If you have a gap between your breast pocket and your name tag, then that is where Ivan is going to slip a SSN or a BTG through. We cannot afford a accoutrements gap.

This seems the appropriate place...

For the next round of uniform fixes for the RCN, can we get a hat mold that isn't round? Seriously... To get a hat that is comfortable, I need to look like Dark Helmet.

Edit: I have the new hat, but to get a hat that fits front to back, it sticks out at the sides... I feel like I'm not the only human that does not have a round head.

Last edited:
This seems the appropriate place...

For the next round of uniform fixes for the RCN, can we get a hat mold that isn't round? Seriously... To get a hat that is comfortable, I need to look like Dark Helmet.

Edit: I have the new hat, but to get a hat that fits front to back, it sticks out at the sides... I feel like I'm not the only human that does not have a round head.
This will sound weird, but can you form the new hat?

This will sound weird, but can you form the new hat?
I plan to try, but because we are limited to one new hat right now I don't want to risk mangling it and not having a hat at all.

I plan to try, but because we are limited to one new hat right now I don't want to risk mangling it and not having a hat at all.
At least taking out the miniature pool noodle should help…

At least taking out the miniature pool noodle should help…
The new hats don't have the storage ring, or at least that I have been able to find.

The advantage of a hat that is too large around the sides is it naturally want to sit at a jaunty angle... I'll just take my years of practice wearing a wedge, and apply it to the peak cap.

It's been done before, so I'll sell it as bring back tradition.
Max Bernays.jpg

The new hats don't have the storage ring, or at least that I have been able to find.

The advantage of a hat that is too large around the sides is it naturally want to sit at a jaunty angle... I'll just take my years of practice wearing a wedge, and apply it to the peak cap.

It's been done before, so I'll sell it as bring back tradition.
View attachment 72633
I mean, if you're going to use an example, Max Bernays is a good one.

Id like to see the services be able to tinker with their uniforms and accoutrements without having to seek approval from some multi service CAF Dress committee.
Seem to remember 3 Mech Cdo being "gifted" an american style camo dickie in the early 70"s. CO's decision made binding by the RSM. No further discussion or comment! BTW they were some uncomfortable.

It appears that sometime in early WWII the Royal Navy (including the Commonwealth Navies) and the U.S. Navy changed the service cap from black to white. That continues to today. Was there a particular reason why they did that?

The caps, officer's or sailor's, have always been black base with white tops right from their adoption by the British type navies in the early Edwardian navy. However, the white tops were covers that could be removed, making the whole cap black, or in the case of the sailors, they had both a black and a white cap available. Where the work to carry out was potentially dirty work, or in wartime at sea, the black cap was used, so the white tops wouldn't get dirty, or you wouldn't give away your position on the ship (white is easy to spot) to become an easy target for an opponent's gunner.

Back