• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Next Conservative Leader

Status
Not open for further replies.
More evidence one of the contenders may be out of the federal race ...
Conservative MP Jason Kenney is poised to announce this summer that he will leave federal politics, fuelling expectations that he intends to run a campaign to unite the right in his home province of Alberta.

Sources tell CBC News that Kenney made his decision following a series of weekend meetings with key friends and advisers in Ottawa and Calgary.

The group includes former MP Monte Solberg, former Conservative campaign guru Tom Flanagan as well as a number of key figures in the former Harper government: Howard Anglin, Mark Cameron and Ian Brodie.

Kenney's decision will be huge, not only in Alberta where the fractured right-of-centre vote contributed to the NDP's stunning majority win last year, but in federal politics.

He's considered a leading contender to replace Stephen Harper, and there's been intense pressure on him to run to replace the former prime minister.

"I feel that if I decide to run I would have very broad and very deep support in the party," he said in a May 28 interview with CBC Radio's The House. "But this still doesn't make it an automatic decision for me. There's a lot to reflect on and that's what I'm taking time to do." ...
:pop:

Looks like Kenney and MacKay are developing "the Plan"....

:pop: indeed...

At least one of the leadership contenders participates in Toronto's pride parade ...
conservatives-at-toronto-pride-parade.jpg

... while one wonders where the sign slogans might have come from?  ;D
13603370_10153809582183525_8814380075255694159_o.jpg

Good2Golf said:
Looks like Kenney and MacKay are developing "the Plan"....

:pop: indeed...
Latest on Kenney's plan ...
Conservative MP Jason Kenney will announce he is making a bid to run for the leadership of the Alberta Progressive Conservative Party in Calgary this Wednesday, CBC News has confirmed.

Sources also say he is looking to merge the right in his home province by calling on Progressive Conservatives and members of the Wildrose to come together to better fight the progressive forces of the current NDP government ...

Next up ...
Former cabinet minister Tony Clement will announce (today) he is entering the Conservative leadership race.

The four-time Tory MP for Parry Sound—Muskoka invited friends on Facebook last week to a "special announcement" at the Royal Canadian Legion's Streetsville branch in Mississauga Tuesday evening.

Clement told The Huffington Post Canada on Sunday that he is "very" excited ...

Colin P said:
Less concerned about the leader then I am in ensuring that the future CPC MP's are not kept as trained seals only to bark and act upon command.

Don't worry. Once the LPC rams PR through, ALL MP's will exist to be trained seals....

Thucydides said:
Don't worry. Once the LPC rams PR through, ALL MP's will exist to be trained seals....
Betcha once they get it through their heads that they'll NEVER have a majority (or anyone else, for that matter) under PR, they'll eeeeeeeeeeeeease out of that promise pretty quick.

milnews.ca said:
Betcha once they get it through their heads that they'll NEVER have a majority (or anyone else, for that matter) under PR, they'll eeeeeeeeeeeeease out of that promise pretty quick.

Depends on what Gerald Butts' actual objective is. If it is denying Conservatives and conservative voters any chance at power, or to at least maintain a working LPC grip on power through manipulating minority governments (advancing or denying votes to coalition partners in return for promoting LPC policies and rewarding LPC crony's), then I think he'll be just fine with that.

Thucydides said:
Depends on what Gerald Butts' actual objective is. If it is denying Conservatives and conservative voters any chance at power, or to at least maintain a working LPC grip on power through manipulating minority governments (advancing or denying votes to coalition partners in return for promoting LPC policies and rewarding LPC crony's), then I think he'll be just fine with that.
But they'd also have to risk the rise of smaller right-side-of-the-spectrum parties that could, like in a lot of places with PR governments, could wield power in a coalition.  Be careful that you wish for ...

According to this Canadian Press story reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act, Erin O'Toole is considering running for leader of the CPC.

Former veterans affairs minister O’Toole considering run for Tory leadership

By The Canadian Press — Aug 8 2016

OTTAWA — Former veterans affairs minister Erin O'Toole is considering a run for leadership of the federal Conservative party.

The Ontario MP was first elected in 2012 in a by-election to replace former Tory cabinet minister Bev Oda, who resigned after a furor over her international travel expenses.

O'Toole sought the interim leadership of the party after last fall's federal election, saying he wanted to show the party was serious about rebuilding.

Conservative party sources say while his name has long been bandied about, efforts to draft him have picked up steam in recent weeks as the party begins planning for the fall leadership debates.

O'Toole declined to comment but did not deny he is now thinking about a bid.

Conservatives will choose a new leader next May.

Thucydides said:
Except, the Liberal Party never promised PR.  The party promised a change from FPTP, and the party leader has indicated his leanings in favour of  preferential ballots. 

Thucydides, given the volumes that you dump into political threads, I would expect you must understand the difference between proportional and preferential systems.  So, why the intellectual dishonesty with this strawman based appeal to fear?

MCG said:
Except, the Liberal Party never promised PR.  The party promised a change from FPTP, and the party leader has indicated his leanings in favour of  preferential ballots. 

Thucydides, given the volumes that you dump into political threads, I would expect you must understand the difference between proportional and preferential systems.  So, why the intellectual dishonesty with this strawman based appeal to fear?

I agree that the Liberals seemed more in tune with the preferential ballots than PR specifically.

Based on this graph from the 308.com, I can see why- it basically gives them complete power (AV=Preferential ballot) based on today's polls.

The assumption made is that NDP would put Liberals second and conservatives would put liberals second.

Attachments

• CA - FPTP PR AV.png
    CA - FPTP PR AV.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 127
Bird_Gunner45 said:
Based on this graph from the 308.com, I can see why- it basically gives them complete power (AV=Preferential ballot) based on today's polls.

The assumption made is that NDP would put Liberals second and conservatives would put liberals second.
Now THAT's a plan the Liberals can get behind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  #selfishdemocracy

The latest on O'Toole ...
Conservative parliamentarians and long-time Tory operatives sitting on the sidelines of the leadership contest are anxiously hoping MP Erin O’Toole will jump into the race, believing he’s the best candidate to broaden party support and defeat the Liberals.

Momentum for O’Toole is building as some recent signs suggest longtime cabinet minister Peter MacKay, considered a possible frontrunner, might decide to stay out.

O’Toole, a former cabinet minister in the late stages of the Harper government, is expected to decide in a matter of days, according to a source familiar with his plans.

Party leadership races are far from an exact science, but a growing number of Conservative members of Parliament and organizers says the affable MP for Durham checks most of the boxes the party needs in its next leader.

O’Toole is young (43), from Ontario, married with two young kids. He represents a riding in the Greater Toronto Area, but lives in a small community and has rural sensibilities.

He also served in the military, has strong ties to Atlantic Canada, and business experience in downtown Toronto. He is seen as levelheaded and a good communicator.

Then there’s his good foundation in French (although he would need to brush up on it to be fully bilingual) and the fact he can trumpet his cabinet experience without carrying the baggage of the Harper government.

Above all, perhaps, he would represent a change for the Conservatives ...

He works for me, I have spoken with him during my pension crisis and he is very able. 

My experiences with O'Toole in the interactions I've had with VAC in a minor advisory role were very positive. The man knows how to reach out, communicate, and listen. I believe he was badly constrained by Harpers fiscal restrictions, but he definitely gave a damn. He'd be my pick.

...and he survived years of flying in the Sea King! :nod:  ;)

Erin is a genuinely good person and is closer to the Red Tory/Blue Liberal nexus than many other(if not all) candidates.  That nexus is where the battle in 2019 will most certainly be focussed.

Mein :2c:

G2G

I would vote for O'toole.

Makes me hope they go for o'leary.

Altair said:
I would vote for O'toole.

Makes me hope they go for o'leary.

Your colors are showing.  [:D  One should hope for the best candidate for all political parties for the betterment of all.

Jed said:
Your colors are showing.  [:D  One should hope for the best candidate for all political parties for the betterment of all.

Whoever they pick will likely lose to Trudeau.  not because they aren't good or anything it's just that the electorate will likely stay with him barring something immense happening.

So O'toole loses, leadership race again and what not.  I suspect the smarter ones are waiting for the election after the next one where Trudeau's shine will likely be completely gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back