• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The "Nursing Officer" Merged Thread

• Thread starter IamBloggins
  • Start date
Kirah said:
I would much appreciate the help and information.

You may find some information here that is helpful.

The "Nursing Officer" Merged Thread 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/4249.0.html

( The new thread is now merged. )

Hello, I just have a question. Which branch contains the most nursing officers, and does the branch they're in make a major difference? The reason I ask is because I am interested in applying to ROTP for nursing, but I much prefer the Air Force over the other branches. However I was told that there is no guarantee, and that I could be placed in any of the three branches depending on the needs of the military.

The environmental uniform that you wear - CA, RCN or RCAF - makes absolutely no difference where you serve with the Royal Canadian Medical Service. You can request Air Force, and you may get the blue uniform but your postings will be independent of it.

Thanks for the clarification. Do nursing officers have to go through phase training (i.e. Common Army Phase Training in Gagetown if in the Army, or spend some time at sea if in the Navy)?

You will spend no time at sea, unless you are fortunate to get an exchange with the Comfort or Mercy. I don't know about CAP, hopefully somebody else can chime in on that topic.

If nursing is treated similarly to PT, then no, you don't do CAP. You will, however, likely do the health services basic operational and staff officer course in Borden. I was not given choice of element, and was enrolled as land, but as stated above, this has no effect on where you are posted or what courses you have to do.

In order of numbers the uniform colour most Nursing Officer wear is army, then air, then sea.  Not that it makes a difference, as mentioned above.

Nursing Officers do not do CAP. 

The "phased approach to training" is as follows:

Basic Military Occupational Qualification
Clinical Phase Training
Health Services Operations and Staff Officer Course  (Which is the common Health Services phase)
Basic Nursing Officer Course

We are currently seeing Nursing Officer "going to sea" attached to USN ships (hospital and non-hospital) for short stints of 6 weeks to 3 months with numbers changing year-to-year but generally between five and ten a year. Again, as mentioned you have to be somewhat lucky to snatch one of these choice duties. 

MC

As an ROTP student, upon finishing my BScN degree will I become a 2Lt or Lt?  I have heard conflicting answers from multiple sources. 

Just a technicality, but assuming you have already finished BMOQ, you will be commissioned at 2Lt, with simultaneous promotion to Lt. 

I am pharm, and I would like to do the boat service. But I do not think that's available for us, so lucky nurses.

Ok, I will be completing BMOQ this summer, 2014.  Do I become a 2Lt after completing that, and then a Lt upon completing my BScN?  I was under the understanding that I am an OCdt until I complete my 4 year degree.  Thanks everyone  :)

Yes, you will be OCt until you received your BScN. Then will be commissioned at 2Lt with simultaneous promotion to Lt after convocation.

If, for instance, someone couldn't do BMOQ until after they finished their BScN (relevant to those doing an accelerated nursing program with no summer breaks), then they wouldn't be commissioned until they graduate BMOQ. At that point, I believe one is back-paid to the date they received their BScN.

So I applied for ROTP 1.5 years ago. Missed the deadline for everything for 2013. Returned for 2014, went through my CFAT, interview & medical. Medical is put on hold till June and recruitment is this week. I was a really good candidate apparently because of all my leadership experience and interview evaluation. Long story short, because my medical is on hold till June, I will not be recruited for 2014. I was applying for my 3rd academic year and was told at interview that this is my last year because there is no ROTP recruitment for final year of education (if I was thinking of reapplying next year).

I wanted to know if there is any way for me to apply again (my medical will be fine in June technically)? I know there is DEO for that means waiting over 2 more years, getting my license and etc.. I also read somewhere on the forum that you can apply for DEO in final year but it will be a "conditional acceptance" and then I read somewhere you have to have your license & degree because you can consider applying for DEO?

It is just very heartbreaking because I have been trying for 2 years and now I'll have to wait 2 more years. That being said, DEO sounds very competitive since ROTP recruitment was 14 candidates for 2014 & DEO was only 1 in all of Canada. Just wondering what my options are at this point?!

I have a few questions about the high readiness NO postings.  My wife is posted to 1 Cdn Fld Hosp Det Edmonton this fall, but we don't have a lot of details about the detachment, so:

1.  What civilian hospital do they work at?
2.  Do they work on their own, or is it similar to CPT where they have to have a mentor?
3.  Is the work usually  a standard day day night night schedule?
4.  Does the detachment qualify for LDA since 1 Cdn Fld Hosp does?
5.  Do they have someone local for administration or does it all go through Petawawa?

Also, if someone who has experience there, does not mind pm'ing me with an email address, in case my wife has any other questions, it would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Hi Everyone.

I am currently finishing my Nursing BSc.

I joined the CF 2 years ago through the ROTP program.

I have 2 questions:
- Do the Forces employ Nurse Practitioners?
- Can you do a Masters with the Forces or Part time while continuing to work?

Thanks for any information anyone can offer.

Cheers

Yes, the CF employs NP's.  However, we no longer provide post-grad training for our Nursing Officers to pursue NP certification. Yes, it is possible to obtain your Masters degree while serving.

flatlander13 said:
Yes, you will be OCt until you received your BScN. Then will be commissioned at 2Lt with simultaneous promotion to Lt after convocation.

If, for instance, someone couldn't do BMOQ until after they finished their BScN (relevant to those doing an accelerated nursing program with no summer breaks), then they wouldn't be commissioned until they graduate BMOQ. At that point, I believe one is back-paid to the date they received their BScN.

Can anyone confirm if this is the case regarding back pay?

I Obtain my degree in June following summer semester, but due to the way BMOQs are scheduled, wont be attending CFLRS until Oct. 2015 through Feb. 2016. - That's a long time to way for my commission!

Thanks for the help!

Back