• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Postal Service is running a 'covert operations program' that monitors Americans' social media posts

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just in case you weren't paranoid enough.... :)

The Postal Service is running a 'covert operations program' that monitors Americans' social media posts​

The law enforcement arm of the U.S. Postal Service has been quietly running a program that tracks and collects Americans’ social media posts, including those about planned protests, according to a document obtained by Yahoo News.

The details of the surveillance effort, known as iCOP, or Internet Covert Operations Program, have not previously been made public. The work involves having analysts trawl through social media sites to look for what the document describes as “inflammatory” postings and then sharing that information across government agencies.

“Analysts with the United States Postal Inspection Service (USPIS) Internet Covert Operations Program (iCOP) monitored significant activity regarding planned protests occurring internationally and domestically on March 20, 2021,” says the March 16 government bulletin, marked as “law enforcement sensitive” and distributed through the Department of Homeland Security’s fusion centers. “Locations and times have been identified for these protests, which are being distributed online across multiple social media platforms, to include right-wing leaning Parler and Telegram accounts.”

A number of groups were expected to gather in cities around the globe on March 20 as part of a World Wide Rally for Freedom and Democracy, to protest everything from lockdown measures to 5G. “Parler users have commented about their intent to use the rallies to engage in violence. Image 3 on the right is a screenshot from Parler indicating two users discussing the event as an opportunity to engage in a ‘fight’ and to ‘do serious damage,’” says the bulletin.

“No intelligence is available to suggest the legitimacy of these threats,” it adds.

The Postal Service is running a 'covert operations program' that monitors Americans' social media posts

Just in case you weren't paranoid enough.... :)

The Postal Service is running a 'covert operations program' that monitors Americans' social media posts​

The law enforcement arm of the U.S. Postal Service has been quietly running a program that tracks and collects Americans’ social media posts, including those about planned protests, according to a document obtained by Yahoo News.

The details of the surveillance effort, known as iCOP, or Internet Covert Operations Program, have not previously been made public. The work involves having analysts trawl through social media sites to look for what the document describes as “inflammatory” postings and then sharing that information across government agencies.

“Analysts with the United States Postal Inspection Service (USPIS) Internet Covert Operations Program (iCOP) monitored significant activity regarding planned protests occurring internationally and domestically on March 20, 2021,” says the March 16 government bulletin, marked as “law enforcement sensitive” and distributed through the Department of Homeland Security’s fusion centers. “Locations and times have been identified for these protests, which are being distributed online across multiple social media platforms, to include right-wing leaning Parler and Telegram accounts.”

A number of groups were expected to gather in cities around the globe on March 20 as part of a World Wide Rally for Freedom and Democracy, to protest everything from lockdown measures to 5G. “Parler users have commented about their intent to use the rallies to engage in violence. Image 3 on the right is a screenshot from Parler indicating two users discussing the event as an opportunity to engage in a ‘fight’ and to ‘do serious damage,’” says the bulletin.

“No intelligence is available to suggest the legitimacy of these threats,” it adds.

Meh. I'm pretty sure that the real 3-letter agencies in the US are doing much more............

I'm running out of tin foil to make hats with. And shield me from government mind control rays :sneaky:

Rule #1 in running a covert operation. Don't title the operation "Covert Operations Program", otherwise it becomes "overt" as in Overt Operations Programs (or OOPs).

Unless that's what they WANT you to think :)

paranoid classic film GIF by Warner Archive

That sentence alone is enough. Really?
I can't remember the title of the book, but I read a book years ago about an individuals foray into the world of CSIS and RCMP intel. It turns out Canada Post, and many postal agencies in the west, in fact have very capable intelligence cells that are more active than we would ever realize.

That being said, I agree... not sure the US needs 'yet another' federal quasi law enforcement agency.

Hey, don't dis the PIS (United States Postal Inspection Service)

There have been enough anthrax, ricin, and pipe-bomb examples sent through the mail in the US that I don't begrudge them a heightened level of security within the USPS.

I can't remember the title of the book, but I read a book years ago about an individuals foray into the world of CSIS and RCMP intel. It turns out Canada Post, and many postal agencies in the west, in fact have very capable intelligence cells that are more active than we would ever realize.

That being said, I agree... not sure the US needs 'yet another' federal quasi law enforcement agency.

According to this link, just one of 65 at the federal level.

And it goes back to 1830.

Virtually every federal government department will have an "Intelligence" cell of some sort. I am guessing here but the Agriculture people will be looking for diseases that will infect our crops and livestock etc and predictions on what effects this would have on the country.

Virtually every federal government department will have an "Intelligence" cell of some sort. I am guessing here but the Agriculture people will be looking for diseases that will infect our crops and livestock etc and predictions on what effects this would have on the country.
I'll do some digging tonight and post the title of the book once I find it.

While the events in this book are probably 30yrs+ old now, Canada Post was quite effective and active in counter-espionage operations and criminal investigations at the federal level. The intelligence cell within Canada Post was described, at least back then, as a 'little known secret weapon' at the government's disposal.

I would imagine many government departments at the national and sub-national level has some sort of 'soft' intelligence to exercise their regulatory mandate; from surveillance, inspection, environmental scanning, etc. Back in the day, I was tasked with compiling a report of all 'investigation and enforcement' departments of every Ontario government ministry with a goal of possibly consolidating some or all of them (it never went anywhere). Most were very administrative and challenged the meaning of the words investigation and enforcement.

Many in these US federal agencies have powers of arrest, search and seizure, use of force, etc. Outside of the CBSA, the 'federal agent' concept is pretty much unknown in Canada.

/OFF TOPIC/

Non sequitor but reminded of a book series I'm picking away at (one of the agencies involved is actually a branch of the USPS responsible for investigating occult activities).

It's pretty well written and a pretty interesting sort of sci fi twist, but the author absolutely nails the ridiculous bureaucracy. Aside from the vampires, zombie security guards and Elder Gods, it's a pretty funny satire of the foolishness that happens in any big organization, and can sympathize with the fear of an expense form or working group.

Being able to take digital books out from the local library has been amazing during COVID.

description from Wikipedia;

The Laundry Files is a series of novels by Charles Stross. They mix the genres of Lovecraftian horror, spy thriller, science fiction, and workplace humour. Their main character for the first five novels is "Bob Howard" (a pseudonym taken for security purposes), a one-time I.T. consultant turned occult field agent. Howard is recruited to work for the Q-Division of SOE, otherwise known as "the Laundry", the British government agency which deals with occult threats. "Magic" is described as being a branch of applied computation (mathematics), therefore computers and equations are just as useful, and perhaps more potent, than classic spellbooks, pentagrams, and sigils for the purpose of influencing ancient powers and opening gates to other dimensions. These occult struggles happen largely out of view of the public, as the Laundry seeks to keep the methods for contacting such powers under wraps. There are also elements of dry humour and satirisation of bureaucracy.

The Laundry Files - Wikipedia

The United States Postal Inspection Service (USPIS), or the Postal Inspectors, is the law enforcement arm of the United States Postal Service. It supports and protects the U.S. Postal Service, its employees, infrastructure, and customers by enforcing the laws that defend the nation's mail system from illegal or dangerous use. Its jurisdiction covers any "crimes that may adversely affect or fraudulently use the U.S. Mail, the postal system or postal employees." With roots going back to the late 18th century, the USPIS is the oldest continually operating federal law enforcement agency.

Anything that comes thru the mail they are able to investigate, including arresting Steve Bannon, https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2020/08/20/postal-service-police-bannon/

The U.S. Postal Inspection Service (USPIS) has awarded SIGARMS® a contract for just over 3,600 SIG SAUER® pistols chambered in 40 S&W. The contract which was announced February 9, is for the SIG SAUER P229R featuring an M1913 Picatinny rail, SIGLITE® night sights and the new DAKT trigger system. The contract is the fourth major federal contract won by SIGARMS in the last six months and follows on the heels of the $23.7 million pistol contract awarded by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in August, a $4.2 million pistol contract awarded by the U.S. Coast Guard and a contract with the U.S. Army Tank-automotive and Armaments Command for 5,000 units of the new SIG SAUER SP2022 pistol. 2005 news story, could not find it with proper information to back it up.

The U.S. Postal Inspection Service (USPIS) has awarded SIGARMS® a contract for just over 3,600 SIG SAUER® pistols chambered in 40 S&W. The contract which was announced February 9, is for the SIG SAUER P229R featuring an M1913 Picatinny rail, SIGLITE® night sights and the new DAKT trigger system. The contract is the fourth major federal contract won by SIGARMS in the last six months and follows on the heels of the $23.7 million pistol contract awarded by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in August, a $4.2 million pistol contract awarded by the U.S. Coast Guard and a contract with the U.S. Army Tank-automotive and Armaments Command for 5,000 units of the new SIG SAUER SP2022 pistol. 2005 news story, could not find it with proper information to back it up.
They do mean business. If any of you are old enough to remember the Unibomber, he used the postal system to deliver bombs.

Back