• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The RCAF's Next Generation Fighter (CF-188 Replacement)

kev994 said:
Hey, this has never been about logic, it's about getting through the next election.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Problem is, they lose all the political cred if they can't deliver a physical aircraft before the election. If its delayed beyond Summer 2019, it turns into a political negative as the Liberals couldn't get an aircraft to fill a "capability gap" in under 4 years.

Meanwhile, the Tories filled real capability gaps with Chinooks, C-17s, Leopard tanks, EROC vehicles, and RG31s. The Leos and Chinooks were even leased prior to purchase, spending extra money to ensure the equipment got where it was needed.

PuckChaser said:
Problem is, they lose all the political cred if they can't deliver a physical aircraft before the election.
Do you believe that Canadian voters will care?

Tweet by AvWeek reporter following fighters, based on Pentagon's FY 2019 (starts Oct. 1 2018) budget proposal.  Now over to Congress actually to spend money.  At any rate looks like SH will still be in production whenever we decide to buy new RCAF fighter and cost per plane should not be going up (might come down) vs. F-35A:
https://twitter.com/laraseligman/status/963200051026780160

Lara Seligman‏Verified account @laraseligman

In a major windfall for @BoeingDefense, Navy is planning to buy 110 additional F/A-18 E/F Super Hornets over the next five years, including 24 in FY19. This is a significant boost from last year’s budget blueprint, which laid out a plan to buy 80 Super Hornets from FY18-22

Mark
Ottawa

PuckChaser said:
Meanwhile, the Tories filled real capability gaps with Chinooks, C-17s, Leopard tanks, EROC vehicles, and RG31s. The Leos and Chinooks were even leased prior to purchase, spending extra money to ensure the equipment got where it was needed.
Paul Martin bought the fleet of RG-31. That contract was signed after the 2005 election but before power was actually handed over. Same for the battery of new howitzers delivered to TF 1-06 ... except that contract may have been signed earlier.

MCG said:
Same for the battery of new howitzers delivered to TF 1-06 ... except that contract may have been signed earlier.

This buy was done through FMS, I believe, in the summer of 2005 after the CCA got permission from the Commandant of the USMC to take six howitzers from their production run. But good on the Liberals for doing it, and it probably set a record for a weapon system acquisition as it was measured in months, not years. First live firing was in Shilo in early December 2005 and first live rounds in anger went down range in Afghanistan in February 2006. (I'm working on a history of the Canadian gunners in Afghanistan, so I have had a look at the purchase.)

It was the first operational firing of the M777, a first for Canadian gunners.

Journeyman said:
Do you believe that Canadian voters will care?

In isolation, no. As another in a growing series of Liberal fumbles - and this being an expensive and completely useless one - it might help tip the balance.

Loachman said:
In isolation, no. As another in a growing series of Liberal fumbles - and this being an expensive and completely useless one - it might help tip the balance.
:rofl:  <--- sorry, typo.  I meant  to say, I sure hope you shop at Costco;  clutching at straws by the case is probably cheaper.  :nod:

In the Venn diagram of Canadian political reality, there is no overlap between fighter a/c acquisition and voter support for PMJT.  At least with ship-building, there are some vocal shipyards that may  have some influence.

Making Super Hornet a bit more super:

US Navy funds CFTs for Super Hornet

Screen-Shot-2016-11-18-at-14.10.02.png

US Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR) is awarding Boeing a $219,600,000 contract for non-recurring efforts associated with Engineering Change Proposal (ECP) 6503 for the design, development, test and integration of the conformal fuel tanks (CFTs) for the Super Hornet.  Work will be completed in July 2022.

The Navy first said it would fund a number of the Advanced Super Hornet (ASH) capabilities under the Block III upgrade in June last year.

The concept for modernizing the ‘Rhino’ includes the CFTs, large area cockpit displays, a powerful new computer processor and a superfast digital network.

The Navy wants the CFTs, the Elbit 10 x 19-inch cockpit displays, the new computer, Distributed Targeting Processor-Networked (DTP-N) and ultra-fast high-band connectivity referred to as Tactical Targeting Network Technology (TTNT).

These capabilities, combined with other already-scheduled items such as radar enhancements, improvements to the aircraft’s defensive suite, and an infrared search and tracking (IRST) pod, will help ensure the Super Hornet remains a credible element of the carrier air wing for decades to come.
http://www.combataircraft.net/2018/02/15/us-navy-funds-cfts-for-super-hornet/

Mark
Ottawa

Apparently Boeing still in--might upgraded Super Hornet help chances?

Boeing stays in race to supply Canada with fighter jets: sources
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-canada-boeing-fighterjets/boeing-stays-in-race-to-supply-canada-with-fighter-jets-sources-idUSKCN1FZ2M9

Mark
Ottawa

But that is the only place to put them on the next blocks of F-35s.  ;)

RaceAddict said:
Dorsal CFTs are hideous.  :not-again:

I'm sure those engineers think of what looks best as the primary focus for stuff like that, instead of things like "aerodynamics" or "increased fuel capacity".

I'm thinking Canada may go with European fighters (Rafale, Gripen, Typhoon) but there is a chance we may go with the American made jets (F-35, F-16 Viper, Super Hornet)
What are your thoughts on the topic?

Canuck_55555 said:
I'm thinking Canada may go with European fighters (Rafale, Gripen, Typhoon) but there is a chance we may go with the American made jets (F-35, F-16 Viper, Super Hornet)
What are your thoughts on the topic?

Avro Arrow 2 or weaponized Sr71

Let's just settle on a P&W Canada PT6-powered turbo Brewster Buffalo:
http://www.aviation-history.com/brewster/f2a.htm
http://www.tailsthroughtime.com/2010/10/disastrous-flop-that-was-brewster-f2a.html

f2a-1.jpg

Mark
Ottawa

Back