• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The RCAF's Next Generation Fighter (CF-188 Replacement)

Pretty much, the military brass should have a good understanding how political and economic decisions will influence a major defense procurement, but at the end of the day it's not their job to point out those issues, as there are people on the Civil Service side and political staff to do so. 

Who gets to argue that operational considerations are less important than employment and taxes?

Because of our history and political culture, having Generals and Admirals "falling on their swords" in protest of political decisions simply means that there are openings for the sorts of people who will not fall on their swords, or even enthusiastically support the political decisions.

I challenge anyone to name any Admirals or Generals who resigned over policy without looking up Google (I admit I can think of one instance, but can't think of the name w/o Google), and more importantly, name a time the resignation brought about a rethink of policy? I suspect even a person with as high a public profile as Rick Hillier resigning over policy would not make a change, and there was only one of him (an entire team of officers with General Hillier's public profile might have done the trick, but maybe not).

RCAF head says Liberal fighter procurement plans just fine--but where will those pesky pilots and techs come from?

Liberals taking ‘prudent amount of time’ with fighter jet competition: RCAF commander

The head of the Royal Canadian Air Force has refuted suggestions, including from more than a dozen of his predecessors, that the Trudeau government is needlessly dragging its feet on new fighter jets.

Lt.-Gen. Mike Hood instead said the Liberals are taking “a prudent amount of time,” as choosing Canada’s next fighter is a big decision – especially since it will likely be in use for decades.

“Fighter operations, there is a lot to chew on,” Hood said in an interview with The Canadian Press.

“The timelines the government and the minister have articulated will let them be absolutely sure that they’re making the right choice for a final fighter that will probably be flying when I’m going to the grave.”

The Liberals’ new defence policy includes a promise to replace Canada’s 76 aging CF-18s with 88 new warplanes, which is an increase from the 65 previously promised by the Harper Conservatives.

The policy estimates the new fighters will cost between $15-billion and $19-billion, up from the $9-billion previously budgeted by the Tories.

The Liberals say the extra fighter jets are required to meet a new policy, adopted in September, that increased the number of warplanes that must always be ready for operations.

But fighter-jet companies such as Lockheed Martin and Boeing, which make the F-35 and Super Hornet, respectively, won’t be asked to submit formal bids until next year at the earliest.

That is despite many defence experts, including 13 retired Air Force commanders in February, saying a competition to replace the CF-18 fleet can and should be launched immediately.

They say doing so would negate the need for 18 “interim” Super Hornets, which would save taxpayer dollars and keep from diverting personnel and resources away from other areas of the Air Force.

But Hood played down those concerns, saying that he’ll have no trouble operating an interim fighter fleet if “I’m given the resources and the priority that I need.”

That doesn’t mean there won’t be challenges in growing the size of Canada’s fighter fleet, he admitted, notably in terms of having enough pilots and technicians to fly and fix the new jets.

The problem has been exacerbated by the fact that while airlines are currently on a hiring binge, Hood said, the Air Force can’t ramp up the number of pilots it puts through flight school each year.

“We brought in a pilot-training system in the early 2000s that had a maximum capacity to deliver about 115 pilots a year. With attrition going up, I’d probably want to produce 140 this year, but I can’t.”

However, Hood is hoping planned changes to the training regime and new initiatives such as recruiting potential technicians directly out of community college will help grow his ranks...
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/liberals-taking-prudent-amount-of-time-with-fighter-jet-competition-rcaf-commander/article35569122/

Mark
Ottawa

MarkOttawa said:
RCAF head says Liberal fighter procurement plans just fine--but where will those pesky pilots and techs come from?

Mark
Ottawa

The general says it right there: he can do it "IF I’m given the resources and the priority that I need"

Of course, considering the past, making such a statement is delusional (which would make him a good politician  ;D). Proof that he is delusional: his final statement that Hillier's decade of darkness in the 90's was mostly on the back of the Air Force, when in fact, at that time, the Air Force had barely broken in its new CF-188, the patrol planes were only ten years old (at the beginning), and they got to replace, early in the decade, their old Boeing 707 with the Airbus'. As the Navy was in pretty good shape during the 90's, clearly the decade of darkness was mostly on the back of the Army. 

MarkOttawa said:

Mark
Ottawa

As long as they keep the fighter bases in remote, shit town (Cold Lake anyway) locations, there will always be a huge retention rate.

Quirky said:
As long as they keep the fighter bases in remote, shit town (Cold Lake anyway) locations, there will always be a huge retention rate.

Can the flying station be separated from the maintenance base?  Say, for example, the maintenance being done in Edmonton and Mirabel with Bagotville and Cold Lake being used as FOLs?  And could Reservist Airline Pilots be prevailed upon to a greater extent?  Putting in time while working around their day-job schedule?

That seems hugely sensible to me, but I hold no confidence that it would ever happen.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
The general says it right there: he can do it "IF I’m given the resources and the priority that I need"

There is supposed to be $600M for this year's budget in the fall economic update.  Apparently that is supposed to mostly go towards personnel resourcing.

Chris Pook said:
Can the flying station be separated from the maintenance base?  Say, for example, the maintenance being done in Edmonton and Mirabel with Bagotville and Cold Lake being used as FOLs?  And could Reservist Airline Pilots be prevailed upon to a greater extent?  Putting in time while working around their day-job schedule?

You need a core of maintainers at the base where the jets are operating from (either deployed or posted). I doubt being on TD 1/2 the year would be more popular choice...

true, but having more popular postings will help, if your doomed to spend 3/4 of your career in a place your spouse hates as say 1/4 of it, things become more bearably

By the time the RCAF gets a fighter they need to order one more for the pedestal....cause it will be history

Colin P said:
true, but having more popular postings will help, if your doomed to spend 3/4 of your career in a place your spouse hates as say 1/4 of it, things become more bearably

I'm not so sure about that. I've seen suggestions that the bases that have the historically highest release rates are Ottawa, Edmonton and Halifax. City living alone doesn't seem to be a magic bullet for retention problems. It would be a shame to move the fighter force complete to Toronto and have them all immediately move over to the civilian aviation industry.

Thucydides said:
Because of our history and political culture, having Generals and Admirals "falling on their swords" in protest of political decisions simply means that there are openings for the sorts of people who will not fall on their swords, or even enthusiastically support the political decisions.

I challenge anyone to name any Admirals or Generals who resigned over policy without looking up Google (I admit I can think of one instance, but can't think of the name w/o Google), and more importantly, name a time the resignation brought about a rethink of policy? I suspect even a person with as high a public profile as Rick Hillier resigning over policy would not make a change, and there was only one of him (an entire team of officers with General Hillier's public profile might have done the trick, but maybe not).
Rear Admiral Landymore
http://readyayeready.com/biographies/Bill-Landymore.php

Ostrozac said:
I'm not so sure about that. I've seen suggestions that the bases that have the historically highest release rates are Ottawa, Edmonton and Halifax. City living alone doesn't seem to be a magic bullet for retention problems. It would be a shame to move the fighter force complete to Toronto and have them all immediately move over to the civilian aviation industry.

So NDHQ, the Army and Navy? How are the release rates for a major city Air force posting like Winnipeg I wonder. Or a place like Comox or Shearwater? I don't hear about how those places are hurting for people. If the fighters moved to Toronto and all the tech/pilots released to the civilian world, then it's an internal issue the CF needs to fix. This is a volunteer force and there is nothing stopping people from leaving for a better quality of life.

Colin P said:

There is no point making Cold Lake a FOL for Edmonton as they are a 5 min flight apart, it'll be an alternate at best.

Quirky said:
There is no point making Cold Lake a FOL for Edmonton as they are a 5 min flight apart, it'll be an alternate at best.

To this non-pilot's (but frequent flyer) eye it looks like about 15 minutes from Nisku to Cold Lake (250 km at cruise of 1000 km/h) and maybe 20 minutes from Mirabel to Bagotville (325 km).

Is that really what all this agony is about?  A quarter of an hour?

Back