• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The RCAF's Next Generation Fighter (CF-188 Replacement)

The ones I know of require a Bachelors in Computer Science - some friends of mine were looking to apply a while back but they had the college diploma.
I work with a guy on my weekend job.

He just finished a condensed ‘Cyber Security’ diploma (not sure if that’s exactly what it was called) - that the government paid for, and is now waiting for an application to work its way through for one of those positions.

Starts at $110,000 😳 (Not bad for a guy in his early 20’s!)

They really are taking the cyber security thing seriously.

He just finished a condensed ‘Cyber Security’ diploma (not sure if that’s exactly what it was called) - that the government paid for, and is now waiting for an application to work its way through for one of those positions.

Yeah, that tracks. Was he already in the Fed Public Service as something else and transferred? I think the hard part is getting in the door.

Would there be any value in hanging onto some of the CF 188's as a reserve or perhaps to deploy other capabilities - SEAD, EW or dedicated Air to Ground? 88 aircraft is not exactly an overwhelming number -

Would there be any value in hanging onto some of the CF 188's as a reserve or perhaps to deploy other capabilities - SEAD, EW or dedicated Air to Ground? 88 aircraft is not exactly an overwhelming number -
“Why that’s the whole point, good sir… we wouldn’t want to overwhelm anybody! Just think of how upset they’d be if we overwhelmed them…”

(Said in my best British accent)

But no, keeping a squadron’s worth of CF-18’s around isn’t really an option, for many reasons.

- The airframes are getting up there in airframe hours (like way way up there)

- We only want to have one training pipeline for fighter pilots & techs

- The EW role is being conducted by F-18 Growlers and the F-35, and you can bet your bottom dollar on UAV’s.

In an ideal world, your idea isn’t a bad one. But the amount of work required on multiple fronts just wouldn’t be worth the reward in the end.

My 0’02 🥂

Tech is going to get hammered this year and all those big paying jobs are going to become hard to find. I already know a number of people who have lost their jobs in the tech sector.

The requirements are going to get more stringent for lower paying jobs as well. It's not going to be quite Dotcom 2.0 but it's got the makings of it.

I personally know a bunch of Vets who got in to Tech a couple of years ago after they got out that are now looking for a new job.

Last edited:
Tech is going to get hammered this year and all those big paying jobs are going to become hard to find. I already know a number of people who have lost their jobs in the tech sector.

Hopefully they have skills and a willingness to work outside the comfy indoor office environment. Labor sector is desperate for people.

I share this opinion. I breaks my heart, but I think we are in our twilight years.
I feel that very day. I look at my kids and have a heavy heart.

We are in the twilight of western civilization. The world is realigning I had hope that china would change as they got richer, nope. Russia too. But we now have half the people in Canada/US in one world view and the other half in another.

I see the stuff my kids are taught. I am even more meh today as it's a "fog" day. when was fog a thing?

Hopefully they have skills and a willingness to work outside the comfy indoor office environment. Labor sector is desperate for people.
There is a lot of work avail in some traditional industries atm that pays incredibly well. Nobody seems to want to do the work though.

We are currently RED for manpower at my work place. We also just fired a bunch of people who had problems showing up when they were supposed to show up.

I'll be honest, it's hard work and if you're not used to doing physical labour everyday, you will feel it. I was in pretty good shape when I started but there is a big difference between working out in a gym and doing hard physical labour. I actually lost about 20lbs the first couple of months working.

There is a lot of work avail in some traditional industries atm that pays incredibly well. Nobody seems to want to do the work though.

We are currently RED for manpower at my work place. We also just fired a bunch of people who had problems showing up when they were supposed to show up.

I'll be honest, it's hard work and if you're not used to doing physical labour everyday, you will feel it. I was in pretty good shape when I started but there is a big difference between working out in a gym and doing hard physical labour. I actually lost about 20lbs the first couple of months working.
You got that right. When I came back to Canada from Bahrain and had to quarantine out at my brother's farm, we decided that me running the baler behind the combine would not break any rules. I tell you, just climbing up and down to the tractor cab was bloody exhausting. At the end of the day I'd barely make it to bed and it would seem that I got 10 minutes of sleep and it was morning.
There's gym strength and then there is physical labour strength, two very different entities.

Like the infantry, right? You can work out, do ruck marches on pavement etc but when it comes time to do section and platoon attacks it takes a few days to get in game shape.

Look at Hull and Howe. Both were farmers/ranchers. Physical specimens

Back