• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The RCAF's Next Generation Fighter (CF-188 Replacement)

If you look at the announcement last summer about NOTAD modernization it mentions growing the AAR fleet; in a later interview, CRCAF mentioned a fleet of 8-9 MRTT. So a significant capability increase; an A330 carries more fuel that a Herc H.

If you look at the announcement last summer about NOTAD modernization it mentions growing the AAR fleet; in a later interview, CRCAF mentioned a fleet of 8-9 MRTT. So a significant capability increase; an A330 carries more fuel that a Herc H.
I would certainly hope it carries more fuel than a Herc H. Do you mean it has a higher offload ability than the entire fuel load of an H?

Will there be a need to buy new tankers for the F35 needs?
Are there any plans to station any of them in Yellowknife or elsewhere in the North in the future?
We don't want to do that. According to many, all military should be in or near big cities (recruitment, quality-of-life, you know).

To add to your post, I believe the CC150 recently (2020ish) achieved IOC to support NORAD ops.

Is 435 still doing AAR these days?

We bought 6 to replace 5, is that correct? I'm a bit gobsmacked that we proactively increased our in-air refueling capabilities by 20%. It's unheard of.
Better - only two of the CC150 are AAR. As I understand, all but one of the new a/c will be built for AAR. So with 8 or 9 (including the additional aircraft) that lands with 7 or 8 A330 MRTTs to replace two CC150 MRTTs and four Herc H models. Increased range, increased capacity, increased capability.

Better - only two of the CC150 are AAR. As I understand, all but one of the new a/c will be built for AAR. So with 8 or 9 (including the additional aircraft) that lands with 7 or 8 A330 MRTTs to replace two CC150 MRTTs and four Herc H models. Increased range, increased capacity, increased capability.
Sounds like a lot of carbon.

I don’t think there is an operational requirement for tankers to live in the territories.
Surge up as needed to support ops? Or would they even need to bother to bump up and stage farther north given their much longer legs and the relatively shorter duration of fighter missions?

We don't want to do that. According to many, all military should be in or near big cities (recruitment, quality-of-life, you know).
Yellowknife is one of those places where they have the QOL of a far larger city, but with a population of about 20k.

I've known many people who have been posted up there. Singles, families, etc. Different backgrounds. All (but one, but they are "Toronto or nothing") loved it and asked to extend their posting.

But, as others have said, no need to permanently base any there.

Surge up as needed to support ops? Or would they even need to bother to bump up and stage farther north given their much longer legs and the relatively shorter duration of fighter missions?

I don’t know, can the A330 even land anywhere north of Yellowknife, in Canada anyway? Inuvik is supposed to get a lengthened runway and larger ramp. It’s a big aircraft, much bigger than the H Model hercs that went up there.

I don’t know, can the A330 even land anywhere north of Yellowknife, in Canada anyway? Inuvik is supposed to get a lengthened runway and larger ramp. It’s a big aircraft, much bigger than the H Model hercs that went up there.
Sorry, by staging further north I was thinking Yellowknife or Whitehorse- north of where the birds usually live. I actually first thought of the ability to get fuel to them in the first place.

I don’t think that they realistically ever need to land any place north of the Whitehorse/Yellowknife line. They have massive legs.

Back