• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Spam and Scam Superthread- Merged

Some related discussion here:

http://www.419legal.org/fraud/23635-hello-first-time-here.html

http://answercenter.ebay.ca/thread.jspa?threadID=1000005692&tstart=132&mod=1193842099987

The sad part in all this is some poor sap always takes the bait and falls for the scam. Its risky enough buying a used car sight seen from a snake oil salesman, but buying one over the web, not in this lifetime.

There was a program about these Nigerian scams on W-5 a while back and it's scary of how many people actually get sucked in.

My partner at work got this today from a kijiji ad she responded too....

Hello,

I'm Sgt. Scott Roberts. The car is american model with miles and km. The mileage represented on this vehicle is accurate. No accidents. The exterior is in mint condition. Not only are there no door dings on this vehicle, it will roll out of our showroom detailed, looking and smelling new.
The transmission in this car still shifts like it did when it was brand new. The engine in this car runs like a top. The vehicle's electric is working perfectly. This extra clean exterior makes this used auto look new. The interior is extra clean and is in perfect condition.

Year: 2003
Milenage: 53676
VIN Number: 3VWSK69M53M148820
Transmission: Automatic
Interior: Black
Exterior: Red
Title: Clear
Engine: 4 CYLINDERS 2.0 Liters
Fuel Type: Gasoline

Options:
CD Player, Sunroof, Side Airbags, Passenger Airbag 
Anti-Lock Brakes, Air Conditioning, Power Windows, Power Locks, Cruise Control

I am in the Canadian Forces and I was sent with my unit for peace maintenance in Croatia/Europe. Right now I am in Rijeka.

The car is at eBay's Shipping Center in Calgary/AB from where it will be shipped. They will handle the transaction for me. You will make the payment to eBay and they will hold the money until you receive the car. ONLY AFTER you receive the car and you inspect it (for 10 days) eBay will release the payment to me. In this way we are both protected.

Along with the car you will also receive all the documentation's required for registration and the keys. I will send you all the papers and documents (clear title, service records, owner's manual)  and a notarized Bill of Sale signed by me and by a lawyer. This is a door to door transaction and from the moment the car will be at your door you will be in contact with the one in charge for shipping.
Since the car is at eBay I have to do the deal through them therefore you can be sure that it will be done smoothly. 

The amount you will have to pay in order to own the car is $3200 with shipping costs and insurance included. I accept only PayPal or Bank Transfer as payment method.
Please get back to me asap if you decide to buy, and include in your e-mail your full name and address where you want it shipped so I can start the deal with eBay. You will receive all the transaction payment and shipping details from them.

Looking forward to hear from you,
Sgt. Scott Roberts
Canadian Forces
Rijeka, Croatia

retiredgrunt45 said:
The sad part in all this is some poor sap always takes the bait and falls for the scam. Its risky enough buying a used car sight seen from a snake oil salesman, but buying one over the web, not in this lifetime.

There was a program about these Nigerian scams on W-5 a while back and it's scary of how many people actually get sucked in.

"There's a sucker born every minute".

PT Barnum is one of my heroes.

My best response would be to forward the email to the RCMP, and make sure the scammer is in the CC field.

Of course, messing with them ebolamonkey style would be a lot more fun if I had the time.

This guy should also be reported to his e-mail provider which is not his ISP's but they will remove it from their server. Explane to them in the e-mail what is going on. ( John Fraley: jfraley011@yahoo.ca) is this guys Yahoo mail address..

It's a good thing you checked in with us first before sending any cash.

I may also try and report this to the Military Police as he is Impersonating someone with Rank, this is a Criminal Offense.

If you can get him to send you an e-mail. Yahoo actually captures the ISP's name that is being used to get onto Yahoo with in order to send mail. Each computer also has it's own signature, they are serial numbers and they will use this information to track him down.

Kinsley, Gary

My partners son is a TO cop and she sent it to him.....

Great, keep us posted. I'd love to see that asshole cought with his pants down. I hate people like this who try to take advantage.  I know an older man who was duped out of $16,000.00 by way of the Nigerian Letter Scam. When I found out, I went to him and asked if he listened to the NEWS.

Remember, you have to send the Headers in order to find this ISP name

I think the idea is not to actually exchange money for a piece of junk masquerading as the identified vehicle.  What they do is ask you to pay for shipping fees and other costs to get it released or out of storage as part of an advance on the cost of the vehicle.  Bye-bye goes the money...

To counter this scam type of scam, you should ask for an ID number of the vehicle and a phone number to call so you can arrange to inspect the vehicle prior to purchase. But this is the first Ive heard of someone impersonating a Canadian service member...

Just to clarify, unless Chuckles McSwindler is sending his phishing email from a Defence Establishment, using a DND computer or network OR the recipient is on a Defence Establishment or recieves it via a DND email address etc, MP have no jurisdiction here even if he is trying to pass himself off as a CF member.  If you want to make a complaint, contact your local Police Service.

MODS:  This should probably be moved out of the MP sub-forum...

Just for the fun of it, look up on SuperPages.ca for EBAY Calgary, they should have a 1-800 number. Give them a call and ask them if they have Automobile Storage, if they say "yes" give them the name of that so called Sgt and if he has a car being stored and waiting to be sold and tell them why your calling.

Why waste any of your time doing that, It is a scam.

You can ignore it, forward it to the police, or play with them and post it on www.ebolamonkey.com

Anything more than that, you are wasting your time. 

Do you do any of that with all the other spam you get in your inbox?

dileas

tess

Sometimes I do and every so often I am able to look up information on them, to the point of finding an address and phone number.  The one passing himself off as a Sgt should be stopped so he doesn't con anymore people.

bwatch said:
Sometimes I do and every so often I am able to look up information on them, to the point of finding an address and phone number.  The one passing himself off as a Sgt should be stoped so he doesn't con anymore people.

I agree , he should be 'stoped' and as thoroughly as possible!  Is it painful?  ;D

Well, according to Dictionary.com:

stope  (stōp) 
n.  An excavation in the form of steps made by the mining of ore from steeply inclined or vertical veins.

tr.v.  stoped, stop·ing, stopes
To remove (ore) from or mine by means of a stope.

It sounds very painful!!  ;)

My old man was targeted by scammers when we lived out in BC. This was before hotmail, google or any of that fancy interweb scamming. This was all done by phone. They would constantly phone, telling us that we had just won a brand new R.V, and in order for it to be delivered, we would have to send a cheque for "thirteen-five," of course we would be reimbursed after receiving the R.V.
He knew for a fact that it was a scam, so just as a joke he sent them a cheque for thirteen-five. Thats $13.05, not the $1350 or $13 500 that they had meant when they said "thirteen-five."  A few days later, they phoned again, cursing hell and high water that there wasn't enough money on the cheque.
PS: The cheque was cancelled before they could actually get their grubby little hands on 1 300 penny candies.

Midget

uncle-midget-boyd said:
My old man was targeted by scammers when we lived out in BC.PS: The cheque was cancelled before they could actually get their grubby little hands on 1 300 penny candies.
Hah!  Good for him Midget!

For sure, all the pain he can take and more.

Greymatters said:
I agree , he should be 'stoped' and as thoroughly as possible!  Is it painful?   ;D

Back