• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The US Presidency 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
mariomike said:
It's been open since 1868,
More recently,

I think you are missing the nuance, veracity and division of the current situation in that country.  But I am well aware this is not the first rodeo for an impeachment.

>there are 3 co-equal branches of government, the judiciary,legislative and executive.

That is basically the conventional view, but I've noticed that when the subject is raised most commentators suggest that the legislative is slightly more powerful, with its legislative and oversight powers.

>If the dem's control the house after 2020 election they will try to impeach again.

The elections will provide a measure of how "the people" feel.  If Trump is re-elected and the dial doesn't move in the House or Senate, why would Democrats continue an apparently fruitless political strategy?

Two possible ironic outcomes: the Democratic House 2018 freshmen likely to be at risk in the election vote against impeachment, get re-elected, and preserve Pelosi's speakership; or, Pelosi wins her impeachment quest, the freshmen get bounced and the House changes hands, and Pelosi loses her speakership.

Halifax Tar said:
I think you are missing the nuance, veracity and division of the current situation in that country.

My bad.

tomahawk6 said:
Sadly the next Democrat President may well face impeachment.

I don't recall the Democrats threatening the next Republican president ( Bush 43 ) with that when President Clinton got impeached for lying about sex with a consenting adult.

NBC put it this way,
More than two dozen ( presidents ) have worked with a House majority of the other party - a sign that partisan division alone has not been sufficient to trigger impeachment.

Interestingly, there was this,
Trump in 2008: It would've been 'wonderful' if Pelosi impeached Bush
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNSt8caghuCbIFvtJ1K3J5hmN0UdIA%3A1576718640385&source=hp&ei=MNH6XfTtFJXStQbU1aPgAQ&q=2008+trump+pelosi+impeach+bush&oq=2008+trump+pelosi+impeach+bush&gs_l=psy-ab.3...1563.14405..15051...1.0..0.461.4144.2j26j1j0j1......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i131j0j35i39j0i67j0i13j0i13i30j0i22i30j0i22i10i30.ugJsWI7Hzkg&ved=0ahUKEwj0xd_TxsDmAhUVac0KHdTqCBwQ4dUDCAs&uact=5#spf=1576718657169

tomahawk6 said:
They even thought about impeaching Reagan.

He's no Ronald Reagan.

In today's news,
19 Dec. 2019
Christianity Today, "evangelicalism's flagship magazine" founded by Billy Graham, called for President Trump to be removed from office.
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1280&bih=641&tbs=cdr%3A1%2Ccd_min%3A12%2F16%2F2019%2Ccd_max%3A12%2F19%2F2019&sxsrf=ACYBGNSm9cauMosUGblnYKgDlKBMn9WR4w%3A1576815823900&ei=z0z8XbbGNvCg_QbC8qjYCA&q=trump+%22christianity+today%22+%22profoundly+immoral%22+removed&oq=trump+%22christianity+today%22+%22profoundly+immoral%22+removed&gs_l=psy-ab.3...25345.27435..27826...0.0..0.366.1475.4j4j1j1......0....1..gws-wiz.ULq1mrwU5FU&ved=0ahUKEwj26bzYsMPmAhVwUN8KHUI5CosQ4dUDCAo&uact=5#spf=1576815853054

They called him, "profoundly immoral".

Worth noting: 81% of white evangelicals voted for President Trump in 2016.

Christianity Today magazine is an evangelical Christian periodical that was founded in 1956 by Billy Graham and is considered a flagship magazine of  mainstream evangelicalism.

They generally do not comment on political matters but have decided to speak out at this time.

...The typical CT approach is to stay above the fray and allow Christians with different political convictions to make their arguments in the public square, to encourage all to pursue justice according to their convictions and treat their political opposition as charitably as possible. We want CT to be a place that welcomes Christians from across the political spectrum, and reminds everyone that politics is not the end and purpose of our being. We take pride in the fact, for instance, that politics does not dominate our homepage.

That said, we do feel it necessary from time to time to make our own opinions on political matters clear—always, as Graham encouraged us, doing so with both conviction and love. We love and pray for our president, as we love and pray for leaders (as well as ordinary citizens) on both sides of the political aisle.
But the facts in this instance are unambiguous: The president of the United States attempted to use his political power to coerce a foreign leader to harass and discredit one of the president’s political opponents. That is not only a violation of the Constitution; more importantly, it is profoundly immoral.
To the many evangelicals who continue to support Mr. Trump in spite of his blackened moral record, we might say this: Remember who you are and whom you serve. Consider how your justification of Mr. Trump influences your witness to your Lord and Savior. Consider what an unbelieving world will say if you continue to brush off Mr. Trump’s immoral words and behavior in the cause of political expediency. If we don’t reverse course now, will anyone take anything we say about justice and righteousness with any seriousness for decades to come? Can we say with a straight face that abortion is a great evil that cannot be tolerated and, with the same straight face, say that the bent and broken character of our nation’s leader doesn’t really matter in the end?...

https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2019/december-web-only/trump-should-be-removed-from-office.html

Strong stuff. I note that Fox news has reported, without comment, much of what CT stated. It will be interesting to see where this will go in the next few days. Mostly I wonder whether Trump or his surrogates will counterpunch on this one.

:pop:

Thanks mariomike & FJAG for sharing that.

That IS a pretty ringing non-endorsement for this kind of publication.  You know it had to sting just a bit with Billy's son quick to respond
Christianity Today released an editorial stating that President Trump should be removed from office—and they invoked my father’s name (I suppose to try to bring legitimacy to their statements), so I feel it is important for me to respond. Yes, my father Billy Graham founded Christianity Today; but no, he would not agree with their opinion piece. In fact, he would be very disappointed. I have not previously shared who my father voted for in the past election, but because of this article, I feel it is necessary to share it now. My father knew Donald Trump, he believed in Donald Trump, and he voted for Donald Trump. He believed that Donald J. Trump was the man for this hour in history for our nation ...

Interesting opinion piece from Jennifer Rubin. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/12/19/republican-outmatched-outwitted-outclassed/

The best paragraph:

How did it come to this? Well, stewing in the nonsensical arguments and conspiracy theories gushing from Fox News, proudly adopting know-nothingism (e.g. climate change denial) and repudiating legitimate journalism and scholarly expertise come with a price. The mind atrophies; the ability to discern what is absurd from what is persuasive falters. Never encountering those who refuse to adopt your alternate reality means never having to exercise one’s powers of analysis or learning anything beyond what Fox News hosts spoon-feed them.

This space is reserved for the inevitable Milpoint deductions from the usual suspects:

FJAG said:
Christianity Today magazine is an evangelical Christian periodical that was founded in 1956 by Billy Graham and is considered a flagship magazine of  mainstream evangelicalism.

They generally do not comment on political matters but have decided to speak out at this time.

Strong stuff. I note that Fox news has reported, without comment, much of what CT stated. It will be interesting to see where this will go in the next few days. Mostly I wonder whether Trump or his surrogates will counterpunch on this one.

A reasoned and coherent response from POTUS:

“A far left magazine, or very ‘progressive,’ as some would call it, which has been doing poorly and hasn’t been involved with the Billy Graham family for many years, Christianity Today, knows nothing about reading a perfect transcript of a routine phone call and would rather have a Radical Left nonbeliever, who wants to take your religion & your guns, than Donald Trump as your President,” Trump tweeted. “No President has done more for the Evangelical community, and it’s not even close. You’ll not get anything from those Dems on stage. I won’t be reading ET again!”

Sadly, you can hear the sound of heads nodding as some voters hear this.

On a side note, Entertainment Tonight is confused as to how they were brought into this.

PPCLI Guy said:
On a side note, Entertainment Tonight is confused as to how they were brought into this.

:rofl: I missed that on my first read of Trump's little hissy fit.

:cheers:

Man, who would've thunk it, impeachment was such a dud this CT opinion piece is all the rage.  :rofl:

FJAG said:
:rofl: I missed that on my first read of Trump's little hissy fit.

:cheers:

Same here. 

Just when I think our politics is a mess I just need to look South or read a tweet...

Maybe that's why some Canadians aren't as scandalized by our own PM or other leaders here compared to what they see happening elsewhere. 

#boring is better

PPCLI Guy said:
You're sure he didn't mean reading this?
main-qimg-ad7586a9651880dd460479187e88ca2c

It's interesting to see how those who dislike Trump seem to give a complete pass to the very serious and probably criminal abuses by key figures in the FBI and US intelligence apparatus. 

Is this all ok because you dislike the target of those abuses?  I wonder, would it be ok if those same abuses were perpetrated against you or someone you know or like?  If you don't think there was any significant wrong doing by now, will you change your mind if the Durham investigation results in indictments?       

It's ok to dislike Trump, really it is.  But you can't deny under Trump the US appears to be stronger, NATO is contributing more, China is being checked.. etc.  Compare Trump's handling of the Ukraine with Obama's.  Compare Trump's handling of Russia with Obama's.  If you can get beyond CNN, you might be surprised.  His actual successes and this impeachment fiasco are going to propel Trump to a big win in 2020.  He has a record to run on now.  Considering the immense amount of constant negative media coverage, his polling numbers are better than Obama's were at the same time in his presidency.  This must scare the crap out of the media/dem elites. 

Remius said:
Just when I think our politics is a mess I just need to look South or read a tweet...

You can say that again.  :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back