• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The War in Ukraine

There is a lot of hyperbole about being at 240+ feet in there. It’s a complicated op but completely doable without all the talk about decompression dangers- it’s a thing but like…come on. There’s actually a few ways to extend the dive and mark out the dive site that these tech divers didn’t do that I would have expected.

I’ve also done some significant overhead diving AND mixed gas diving that didn’t require me to have “220 pounds of equipment”.

I don’t know what the point of that article is but it’s kinda seems like it’s making things murky.

Not so much as long as they OK Team Vatican’s cardinal draft pick …

I refer you to the Ottonians, the Investiture Conflicts, the English Investiture Conflict, The Guelph-Ghibelline Wars, Gallicanism, The Hapsburg-Valois Wars, The Franco-Italian Wars.

We could also reference the Byzantine Wars, the Ravenna Exarchate, The Gregorian Reforms, the Norman-Greek Wars, the Great Schism, the Western Schism, the Avignon Papacy.....

All predicated on who had the right to appoint the Pope, the Cardinals, the Bishops and the Emperors.

2000 years of "active debate"

Accuracy, brevity & clarity in the headline for the latest UKR Prez speech o' the evening (also archived here) ....
View attachment 87572
... with a bit of "hey, could we get even more of a hand here, guys - you're doing it elsewhere, no?" (all highlights mine) ...
View attachment 87573
... and back to naming a few names re: the headline
View attachment 87574
Doubt any of the "European neighbours" are ready to send their planes in to fly wing-to-wing with UKR fast air, but the pressure continues to push for UKR's version of "give us the tools, and we'll do the job" (with a "if you'll let us" caveat tacked on).
This is asking for even more of an escalation in this war between Russia & Ukraine than has already taken place.

Over the last 2 years America has slow-walked itself from a somewhat deniable proxy war to a flat out hot war with Russia.

From donating military aid packages while vowing "No American boots on the ground!" to donating ever more capable weapon systems able to strike deep inside Russia (and then clearing their use for such operations), to now suggesting a No-Fly zone over Ukraine...

So now they'd have American pilots and planes flying CAP over Ukraine, ready to engage Russian aircraft?

What about air support missions? What about CSAR assets in theatre for if a US or UKR plane goes down? Airfield security forces? American AD assets to protect those aircraft? Force protection for the AD assets?

This is an incredibly easy slope to slide down because if any American service personnel are injured or killed because those assets aren't in place, now the powers at be can pour even more forces into the theatre.

A No-Fly zone sounds like an easy sell to the public that can be easily fooled with bull****, but it's yet another major escalation in a war they should be trying to deescalate instead of always escalating. (The US would have regained a lot of clout in the world if it stepped in and helped negotiate a peaceful resolution to this war. But instead they've done the total opposite...)

China & Russia are now very much allied, so whatever material shortfalls the Russians may be starting to experience I'm sure they can creatively find a workaround.

This war has lasted a lot longer than I think any of us thought it would, and US proposals like this don't help to deescalate things...

... So now they'd have American pilots and planes flying CAP over Ukraine, ready to engage Russian aircraft? ...
Technically, he's only (right now, in this statement) for help from "European neighbours." That said, how long before other "neighbours" further down the road get the same ask?
... This is an incredibly easy slope to slide down because if any American service personnel are injured or killed because those assets aren't in place, now the powers at be can pour even more forces into the theatre ...
Same goes for Europeans, for sure.
... A No-Fly zone sounds like an easy sell to the public that can be easily fooled with bull**** ....
Oh yeah.
... it's yet another major escalation in a war they should be trying to deescalate instead of always escalating. (The US would have regained a lot of clout in the world if it stepped in and helped negotiate a peaceful resolution to this war. But instead they've done the total opposite...)

China & Russia are now very much allied, so whatever material shortfalls the Russians may be starting to experience I'm sure they can creatively find a workaround.

This war has lasted a lot longer than I think any of us thought it would, and US proposals like this don't help to deescalate things...
Well, doesn't look like USSR 2.0 wants to de-escalate, so they have a chance to cut their losses, too.

Meanwhile, from IAEA's boss: hoping to drop by the Kursk NPP to have a look see ....
1724703796679.png
Let's see how much co-operation USSR 2.0 gives them - cue the "too dangerous given Russia's anti-Nazi-terrorist-operation under way in the area" boilerplate?

There is a lot of hyperbole about being at 240+ feet in there. It’s a complicated op but completely doable without all the talk about decompression dangers- it’s a thing but like…come on. There’s actually a few ways to extend the dive and mark out the dive site that these tech divers didn’t do that I would have expected.

I’ve also done some significant overhead diving AND mixed gas diving that didn’t require me to have “220 pounds of equipment”.

I don’t know what the point of that article is but it’s kinda seems like it’s making things murky.
^This.

A heliox tank is not much different weight than a standard air tank, or EAN/nitrox, etc. I haven’t dived heliox, just nitrox (EAN32) on an enriched air course to credit towards my PADI master diver certification, but have heard from some of the DIs that aside from the significant depth (well past 130fsw), the most notable difference was having to have with you, or meeting up with, a decomp staging tank (if you decomp with nitrox or air…seems EAN80 is the preferred staging/decomp gas), but I can’t see that being 200 lbs…

This is asking for even more of an escalation in this war between Russia & Ukraine than has already taken place.

Over the last 2 years America has slow-walked itself from a somewhat deniable proxy war to a flat out hot war with Russia.

From donating military aid packages while vowing "No American boots on the ground!" to donating ever more capable weapon systems able to strike deep inside Russia (and then clearing their use for such operations), to now suggesting a No-Fly zone over Ukraine...

So now they'd have American pilots and planes flying CAP over Ukraine, ready to engage Russian aircraft?

What about air support missions? What about CSAR assets in theatre for if a US or UKR plane goes down? Airfield security forces? American AD assets to protect those aircraft? Force protection for the AD assets?

This is an incredibly easy slope to slide down because if any American service personnel are injured or killed because those assets aren't in place, now the powers at be can pour even more forces into the theatre.

A No-Fly zone sounds like an easy sell to the public that can be easily fooled with bull****, but it's yet another major escalation in a war they should be trying to deescalate instead of always escalating. (The US would have regained a lot of clout in the world if it stepped in and helped negotiate a peaceful resolution to this war. But instead they've done the total opposite...)

The fastest way to end this is to defeat Russia. That can be done without US service personnel in/above Ukraine. It just requires hardware. Which once bought/gifted to Ukraine is no longer American. The particulars of a weapon system are irrelevant - once it is owned by Ukraine it is a Ukrainian weapon system.

The fastest way to end this is to defeat Russia. That can be done without US service personnel in/above Ukraine. It just requires hardware. Which once bought/gifted to Ukraine is no longer American. The particulars of a weapon system are irrelevant - once it is owned by Ukraine it is a Ukrainian weapon system.
doesnt have to be American hardware lots of room for others to step up like France, Italy, Spain and even Canada

Russia can end this war tomorrow by leaving Ukrainian territory and stopping in every village on their way out to beg forgiveness for their crimes.

But that won’t happen. Russia will be ready for peace when it has turned Ukraine into a puppet state and commits genocide on its people and its culture. Ukraine will fight until it decides it won’t or can’t. And Ukraine will fight as long as we support them. It is in the national interest of every NATO country to see Russian military capabilities severely degraded and crushed, and if we can do that without sending our own soldiers, all the better.

Russia can end this war tomorrow by leaving Ukrainian territory and stopping in every village on their way out to beg forgiveness for their crimes.

But that won’t happen. Russia will be ready for peace when it has turned Ukraine into a puppet state and commits genocide on its people and its culture. Ukraine will fight until it decides it won’t or can’t. And Ukraine will fight as long as we support them. It is in the national interest of every NATO country to see Russian military capabilities severely degraded and crushed, and if we can do that without sending our own soldiers, all the better.
At the moment, Ukraine is more or less holding its own but it wouldn't take much of a push to bring them to the brink. If that happens, Ukraine becomes a border zone protecting Russia whilst Russia gears up and goes for its next target only its next target will be either a NATO member such a Poland or one of the Baltic states and then we will be in for it. Wouldn't it be a better use of weapons and manpower to take the shackles off Ukraine while they are still able to defend themselves?

At the moment, Ukraine is more or less holding its own but it wouldn't take much of a push to bring them to the brink. If that happens, Ukraine becomes a border zone protecting Russia whilst Russia gears up and goes for its next target only its next target will be either a NATO member such a Poland or one of the Baltic states and then we will be in for it. Wouldn't it be a better use of weapons and manpower to take the shackles off Ukraine while they are still able to defend themselves?
And you can bet that if the West grows bored of Ukraine like we did in Afghanistan, the Chinese will learn that we won’t put up a serious fuss if they decide to invade Taiwan.

Possible worse option: a massively armed ongoing insurgency; all the energy pf the current Ukrainian fight, but without the directing and guiding role of a national government; destabilizing the entire neighbourhood, along with being a Russian staging area.

Desperate, fatalistic, tooled-up people who might not shrink at e.g. attacking Russian nuclear plants, or perpetrating Balkanesque atrocities.

Possible worse option: a massively armed ongoing insurgency; all the energy pf the current Ukrainian fight, but without the directing and guiding role of a national government; destabilizing the entire neighbourhood, along with being a Russian staging area.

Desperate, fatalistic, tooled-up people who might not shrink at e.g. attacking Russian nuclear plants, or perpetrating Balkanesque atrocities.
My guess you get a short, sharp Civil War with a possible change in power factions and possibly a negotiated withdrawal from part or all of Ukraine, in return for lifting of most of the sanctions. Very little will change for the average Russian.

Technically, he's only (right now, in this statement) for help from "European neighbours." That said, how long before other "neighbours" further down the road get the same ask?

Same goes for Europeans, for sure.

Oh yeah.

Well, doesn't look like USSR 2.0 wants to de-escalate, so they have a chance to cut their losses, too.

Meanwhile, from IAEA's boss: hoping to drop by the Kursk NPP to have a look see ....
View attachment 87580
Let's see how much co-operation USSR 2.0 gives them - cue the "too dangerous given Russia's anti-Nazi-terrorist-operation under way in the area" boilerplate?
Allow me to clarify a few of my points...

- A no fly zone enforced by NATO over Ukrainian skies would be considered (I assume anyway) as an escalation.

So while it would be nice for Ukranian jets to be able to operate inside Ukraine with relative immunity from hostile threats, that won't be happening in the near future (unless there is a massive push on SEAD & DEAD operations to make those skies a bit safer, but the threat of MANPADS won't go away until the Russians do)

- True it is easy for any of their European allies to slide down. But the reason I was referring to the Americans was because...

a) my initial understanding of this request included America (source was not here on the forum, my mistake for commenting on a source without actually specifying/posting said source) and..

b) America has invested approximately $175B into Ukraine since this war began (closer to $250B when everything gets included...not a small amount even by American measures...)

So far Ukraine's European allies have donzted equipment to them primarily to be used in defensive operations, replaced whatever lost equipment they could (ie replacing lost Mig 29's with Mig 29's, or T-72's with T-72's)

But the US has slowly donated equipment that could potentially be used for offensive operations, and seems to have given the thumbs up to be used that way.

My point isn't to disagree with them being used that way, or Ukraine taking the offensive lately. My ultimate point is that of all of Ukraine's allies, I can easily see the US being the one that makes the foreign policy stumble of accidentally finding itself in a hot war

- When I say the public is easily fooled by bull****, I'm referring to the general public's general lack of knowledge when it comes to anything military related - our media referring to trucks as tanks, and rarely reporting on any military related story accurately

So if the US decided to go ahead with the no fly zone, it wouldn't just be fighter planes deployed. It's the security forces, air defense systems for the airfield they'd be stationed at, maybe CSAR assets to retrieve downed crew, a QRF of some sort, the C2 staff, etc etc

The US could just announce they'll be working with partners to help enforce a no fly zone over Ukraine, and the public wouldn't really raise an eye - because not many ppl realize all the other assets that would need to also be deployed (Hence public ignorance & easy to escalate without perhaps meaning to)

Something I don't think is appreciated here as much as it should be is that Ukraine is running low on troops, aka the number of young (and old) Ukrainians who are dead as a result of this war is truly mind boggling...

We all know that the casualty numbers for both sides are way higher than what's currently being counted - not to mention the troops who get classified as 'missing in action' because they literally got blown to pieces or turned into pink mist

We all also know that Ukraine's civilian population has taken far more casualties than Russia's...

My point simply being that this war needs to end as soon as freaking possible.

We've discussed on this forum before that Ukraine may have been able to absorb their combat losses better than Russia could, even though Russia has the significantly larger population...but did any of us foresee the war dragging on for this long? Or being this brutal?

Ukraine isn't just running low on troops. It's running low on men, period - because a lot of them are dead. (Ukraine's gender demographics are gonna be so screwed up once the dust settles from all of this)

🍻

Back