• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Whole New Knife, Liz May, Gear Up, Racism Merged Thread

Ex-Dragoon said:
used on ships as well...
Yep.  They're on the quite a few MASTin large numbers.  Coincidentally, when sold commercially the knife is called the Russel Boat Knife.

I like the knife.  It's not great for cuttings ropes or textiles.  However, it works great on tape, time fuse and det cord.  It is also the best knife I've used for cutting C4 blocks.  The multi-tool blades are relatively small and the weight is imbalanced into the handle.  So the knife does what I need it for.

NFLD Sapper said:
Well its a non-sparking knife if that has anything to do with it  :-\
Maybe, but that is not specifically stated in the specification.

NFLD Sapper said:

It's made of carbon steel, how can it be non sparking? You want a non sparking tool, you make it out of brass.

As an aside, I found it amusing to read,
“My next thought was what kind of other shoddy non-Canadian goods are being purchased for our soldiers in cost-cutting measures?" said Ms. May's statement.

Maybe she should be examining what shoddy Canadian goods are being purchased...*cough*tac vest*cough

HighlandIslander said:
As an aside, I found it amusing to read,
Maybe she should be examining what shoddy Canadian goods are being purchased...*cough*tac vest*cough

As a warning to all - do not turn this into another tac vest thread, go to that thread if you want to expand on that point.

Army.ca Staff

My apologies. I just had to sit through two hours of class listening to NDP and Green speeches....a lot of misplaced hostility on my part.

HighlandIslander said:
My apologies. I just had to sit through two hours of class listening to NDP and Green speeches....a lot of misplaced hostility on my part.

So, when are the Liberals and the Conservatives being invited into your class?

NFLD Sapper said:

Maybe good for cutting butter or C4? Had an option of getting one issued, never bothered (Zero Tolerance 0200ST all the way)

Politics, votes and kit do not a happy soldier make (SLVW, anyone?)

ArmyVern said:
So, when are the Liberals and the Conservatives being invited into your class?
Last week. We get the Bloc next Wednesday.

Soldier1stTradesman2nd said:
Maybe good for cutting butter or C4? Had an option of getting one issued, never bothered (Zero Tolerance 0200ST all the way)

Politics, votes and kit do not a happy soldier make (SLVW, anyone?)

LSVW?

NFLD Sapper said:
If I am not mistaken these are also the very same knives issued to all Combat Engineers too.

Not the Gerber.... the "Russell boat knife"

Just checking.... the Russel Boat Knife is pert much an antique by now... 8)

Grohmann Knives #3 Boat Knife, Canadian Armed Forces, or Yachtsman Design website.

The company refers to the knife as the "CAF", I've heard it called the belt knife, FE, and JM.

I have one of these;  I find it keeps a good edge, and suited my needs as a general-purpose knife in the field, and I use it now primarily for hiking/outdoors.  I wished many times the handle had a checkered design cut into it.  I also had to get rivets punched into the loop on the sheath as the stitching always seemed to start to let go when wet and worn on my belt under my webbing.  I opted to hook it onto a belt loop with a small carabiner, letting it move more freely and it wasn't such a PITA to get at (was lower than the webbing belt).

As for the Green Party leaders comments about this, she is attempting to get votes in the riding she is running in.  Strategically its smart as Joe and Jane Taxpayer don't know (or care, if they lost their job lets say) about the TB policy(s).  I think its just as tasteless and "head shaking" as many other things I see during times such as these.

its too bad the Conservaties don't come back with comments such as the ones AV said initially in this thread.

If Minister MacKay WOULD have intervened...someone else would be jumping all over that; he did nothing wrong, but would have if he would have 'used his influence'.

Back