• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Thieves steal medals from grieving Manitoba military sergeant

57Chevy

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Inactive
Reaction score
Now this just sickens me sadly.
        __________________________________________________________________________
Thieves steal medals from grieving Manitoba military sergeant

WINNIPEG - Air Force Sgt. Ed Marshall and his family were grieving at a funeral in Nova Scotia on Christmas Eve when their Winnipeg home was ransacked.

More than $10,000 worth of Christmas gifts were taken in the break-in, along with sentimental heirlooms, a jeep and five priceless military medals that marked Marshall's tours in Afghanistan and Uganda.

His brother told the family to fly home Christmas Eve after he noticed their front door had been kicked in.

The airman flew back to Winnipeg, leaving his wife and children to mourn the death of his wife's mother in Nova Scotia.

They're all back now. And they're having a hard time sleeping.

Marshall said their family was “already trying to salvage Christmas,” after his in-law's passing and it was a second blow to have this happen.

“It's unnerving that they could come back if they want to,” said Marshall about the thieves, who have their house keys, after making off with their 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

“We are very angry, upset, violated. Our personal space has been invaded, it's put a lot of added stress we don't need,” said the 22-year military veteran.

“Those medals have no value to anyone on the streets but only to Sgt. Marshall,” said Lieut. Donna Riguidel, assistant wing public affairs officer, Canadian Forces Base 17 Wing, Winnipeg.

“How terrible that must be, even if he could get replicas, it's not the same as the original medal,” said Riguidel.

(Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act)

to add:  Missing medals are similar to these ones. (photo)

That's despicable, one can only hope they get what they deserve.

I have endured what the good Sergeant is going through. You never regain that sense of security in your own home. I have found myself scrutinizing every car that passes, every face I do not know that walks by. I check ID through the glass, and I have spent thousands on a home security system and top of the line doors/bolts, and windows. I do not trust people the same way. I have friends in the police who can check backgrounds of potential babysitters for me,etc.. . It is a sad reality that this is the world we live in. We lost thousands of dollars worth of memories, and what wasn't stolen was destroyed. The crime is senseless. And the criminal(s) are the same. Sgt. , I wish you the best of luck in finding your possessions/memories. Ubique

I should think so. DND has a record of all awards given to service members. I think under these circumstances they would be.

There's a medal replacement cost, but his house insurance should pay for it. Money doesn't fix emotional attachment though. I'd be out with a bayonet looking for someone if my medals got stolen.

The police would post pics of the medals to all of the pawn shops in the region, and they will not buy stolen anything. These medals will be either returned, destroyed, or tossed and lost. A shame too, they were, I am sure well earned.

Postal workers found the medals in a post box a few days ago and the medals have been returned.  :piper:

sledge said:
Postal workers found the medals in a post box a few days ago and the medals have been returned.
You know, that's probably the cheeriest news I've heard in a few days -- simple pleasures, indeed.  :)

sledge said:
Postal workers found the medals in a post box a few days ago and the medals have been returned.  :piper:

And that is good news  :salute:
article link:
Stolen military medals returned
quote from article:
Marshall confirmed Monday that his medals have since been returned to him, but declined to comment much further.
Marshall recently told a Winnipeg TV station that a Canada Post worker found his medals in a River Heights mailbox last Thursday and that he got them back on New Year's Eve.

Good to hear you have your medals back Sergeant. Hope the luck continues.Ubique

Who would have thunk it. Even thieves have scruples, they could've tossed them in the river instead of the post box.

Can't condone their activity but I'll give 'some' credit for doing the decent thing.

Back