• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

This Summer's SQ+BIQ at the Meaf!

Posted by: paracowboy
Insert Quote
-brief hijack-

"the Meaf"?

Roll Eyes

-end hijack-

Yeah, the Meaf... You don't like it? It's what our Sgt calls Meaford. What did you want me to use, "CFB Meaford"....  ::)

Does it really matter either way? It seems everyone knew what I was talking about pretty much...

R031 Pte Joe said:
Yeah, the Meaf... You don't like it? It's what our Sgt calls Meaford. What did you want me to use, "CFB Meaford"....   ::)

Does it really matter either way? It seems everyone knew what I was talking about pretty much...
Just find it bizarre how people in (mostly, but not limited strictly to) the Reserves try to abbreviate everything, as though it makes it cooler that way: "the Meaf", "the 'Ghan". The worst was this one young fellow who was trying to impress me and some buddies with tales about his time in "the 'Wa" with "the 'Borne".
It's silly. But, if it makes folks feel better, then by all means carry on. (I will still giggle about it, however.)

Sorry about hi-jacking your thread, troop.

Just find it bizarre how people in (mostly, but not limited strictly to) the Reserves try to abbreviate everything, as though it makes it cooler that way: "the Meaf", "the 'Ghan". The worst was this one young fellow who was trying to impress me and some buddies with tales about his time in "the 'Wa" with "the 'Borne".
It's silly. But, if it makes folks feel better, then by all means carry on. (I will still giggle about it, however.)

Sorry about hi-jacking your thread, troop.

No problem at all, I enjoy a fresh perspective!

So the Reg force doesn't do that so much? My home unit (Lincoln and Welland) and the unit I visit for training (John Foote Armoury, Royal Highlanders Light Infantry), use so many abbreviations I get lost sometimes.... I suppose it'll all come in time...

I thought everyone in the military/land force abbreviated everything like that...

So the Reg force doesn't do that so much?
no, not really. Some start, but they usually get laughed at enough that they stop fairly quickly. There are enough 'official' acronyms and abbreviations that inventing more is just confusing, anyway. Besides, don't you think it sounds silly? I have a hard time imagining my Grandpa calling Normandy "the Norm", or my Sergeants saying "the 'Malia", you know? I've spent more time in Meaford than I like to recall, and we just called it "Meaford" (or "f-ing Meaford" more often than not).

I've always found it amusing, in a "roll-my-eyes, heave-big-sigh" kinda way. Kinda like when you see guys wearing their ID disks outside their t-shirts in bars.  ::)

Anywho, I'll let this thread get back on track. Have fun in Meaford, stay out of trouble in Owen Sound.

I've always found it amusing, in a "roll-my-eyes, heave-big-sigh" kinda way. Kinda like when you see guys wearing their ID disks outside their t-shirts in bars.

Ahhh, now I see what U mean... Makes sense indeed.

Have fun in Meaford, stay out of trouble in Owen Sound.

Yep, heard that a lot too, stay away from Owen Sound. I'll simply be driving to and fro on the weekends I'm allowed to leave... Owen Sound is, well, a hole....

Joe

PS> Anyone in 31 CBG is going to Meaford for SQ and/or BIQ... Unless all those serials become somehow full.

paracowboy said:
Have fun in Meaford, stay out of trouble in Owen Sound.

The funny thing is a lot of the recruits are 16/17/18 and can't go to the bars with their coursemates! Belt-fed machine guns? Sure! Grenade launchers? Certainly! A pint with the lads? Heavens no!!!

Madness!

Mike_R23A said:
The funny thing is a lot of the recruits are 16/17/18 and can't go to the bars with their coursemates! Belt-fed machine guns? Sure! Grenade launchers? Certainly! A pint with the lads? Heavens no!!!

Madness!

Don't even get me started on that.

At least growing up in Ottawa we could go over to Hull when we were 18  ;D

The bars are open till 3 there...

Say, anyone know what we learn on BIQ??? I've almost done my "Pre-SQ" course and have a fairly good idea of what the rest of SQ will be like since they told us for the most part what to expect, but I'm clueless/lost when it comes to BIQ other than more weapons...

Anyone who has done the course wanna shed some light on the PO's??? Just want to have an incling of what I'll be doing, no biggie.

Yeah my course dates are actually:
July 4-20- SQ
July 20-Aug 19- BIQ
Aug 20-28- Stalwart Guardian
Aug 29- HOME!

Hey there people, I'm heading up to Meaford as well for my BMQ and SQ or whatever they are called... I just came back Sunday afternoon from The Old Fort York in Toronto doing my pre-BMQ and I tell ya, I'm hungry  :evil: Now, the instructors there sure gave hell and they soon began to sound like all my teachers from school. Telling me how high school, or university will be very difficult and if I can't do this I won't be able to keep up, or if I can't handle this I won't be able to do that. I want to ask anyone who has done the courses recently just how it all is. I'm beginning to think I'm heading to Abu Gharib from the sound of things and the way they describe Meaford. So is any of this true? Should I be afraid? Or is it all just to get to my head, because I've been warned that whatever they say, not to take to heart.

because I've been warned that whatever they say, not to take to heart.

Well, from what I can tell it's half true. I've been to Meaford once, for our final field FTX of BMQ... It wasn't really a field ex, it was more like camping around a bunch of dead animals... Long story... (And we smelled like them too)...

I didn't mind it... Although that was for 1 weekend.. From what I've seen, since I'm on the last half of my SQ when I go up there I was told I'll prolly be in the tents the whole time. That could be a bitch, again, we'll see...

All depends on where your positioned/posted. If you get inside a building and have a nice comfy bunk, cool, except your morning inspection will be about 5X as hard cause you have more housekeeping to take care of!

The food I heard is fantastic on base, which I am glad to say eases my pain abit, the food we had for basic at the armouries was absolutely just disgusting! I guess we should take everything with a grain of salt and keep on lickin' until we find out for ourselves...

Anyone else bringing up a MP3 Player (small one) and a cellphone??? I'm not sure if they'll just confiscate it anyway on the way in or if I'll ever get a chance to charge them! Just figure my cellphone would be much cheaper to talk to my fiancee than calling her on a bell payphone etc....

Joe

Yeah, the sleeping conditions as I was told was going to be either; A) In a tent on a cement floor, an air matress, and hopefully a cot. Mind you that at the pre-BMQ all I had was the air mattress and the parade square floor... or B) A building like stated above.

The food at the pre-BMQ was damn good, but I personally have moods for when I want to eat or not. I eat a little just to stay focused, but if I feel sick, I'll just drink water.

R031 Pte Joe said:
I was told I'll prolly be in the tents the whole time. That could be a bitch, again, we'll see...

If you think a tent for a month and half in Meaford is going to be rough, try doing it for six or seven months when you go on tour. Meaford will be a cakewalk.

R031 Pte Joe said:
I've almost done my "Pre-SQ" course and have a fairly good idea of what the rest of SQ will be like since they told us for the most part what to expect, but I'm clueless/lost when it comes to BIQ other than more weapons...

Fire and movement, Infantry in the Defence, fire and movement, Recce Patrols, fire and movement, Platoon Attacks...did I say fire and movement? - ever wonder what it is like to stay awake for a week straight?

If you think a tent for a month and half in Meaford is going to be rough, try doing it for six or seven months when you go on tour. Meaford will be a cakewalk.

Recceguy, you seem to have this otherworldly way of making me second guess things and think, "Shit, you know, he's right! This ain't shit!"... 2nd time in like 2 days you made me "double-think" about things... All in perspective and TI I suppose...

Fire and movement, Infantry in the Defence, fire and movement, Recce Patrols, fire and movement, Platoon Attacks...did I say fire and movement? - ever wonder what it is like to stay awake for a week straight?

Hrm... Sounds... Like fun.... Good thing I've actually tried to get used to lack of sleep, but for a week... THAT will be difficult. I know on our final field FTX for SQ it's about 3 days... I thought that would be rough.

It seems to me, that during the course of the beginning of my military, and futhermore, infantry career, every time I experience something difficult, there is always something much more difficult to endure through. I guess they weren't kidding when my family said it'd build "character"... It'll build something alright!!!! I'm in for a world of hurt and fun at the same time... I'll be a beast at the end of the summer! Expecting the worst will always be a rule of thumb then, same as when I started.

BTW Infanteer, thanks for the heads up. I do appreciate it. I wasn't sure if I should have believed my Sgt that he stayed awake for about 70hrs before. Thought that was impossible. He said sometimes you start hallucinating/hearing things eventually, suppose he wasn't joking about that either...

R031 Pte Joe said:
BTW Infanteer, thanks for the heads up. I do appreciate it. I wasn't sure if I should have believed my Sgt that he stayed awake for about 70hrs before. Thought that was impossible. He said sometimes you start hallucinating/hearing things eventually, suppose he wasn't joking about that either...

Actually, we are now mandated to give you at least 4 hours of sleep per night, so total sleep depravation is pretty much gone.  When I did basic training you'd get a boot in the head for dozing off for 5 minutes.  However, nobody said you have to get 4 hours of sleep all at once :D  Get used to falling asleep quicky - chances are you'll be getting it in half hour increments.

Oh god... I'm not sure that's any better! Kind of like a hard reboot with a computer, f*cks you up abit because then you feel REEEAAAALLLLYYY tired.... I'll just add that in with more "character building"...  :p

Back