• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

tie strings & the fit of combat uniforms (Split: Need for a new Army dress uniform)

Quote from: recceguy on August 15, 2010, 13:23:54
I think the parachuting thing is a hold over to the old shirt which actually gave that explanation on the inside wearer instruction label. I'd go look, but it's not important enough to go rooting through boxes, in my basement, for confirmation.

Thank you, thank you I'll be here all week 8)

It's too bad I can't remember really important shit instead of stuff like this  ;D

Love #9/ #10 on either shirt....do not press this garment.

Try and show that to Staff during your CLC and see what happens. I still hear the screaming!        ;D

Regards

I can't for the life of me see why the parachuting part is mentioned.

As has already been brought up, with the harness and the reserve chute clamping your shirt on you like a vice, not to mention your rifle and rucksack, there is no real worry of the shirt billowing and fluttering out of control.

::)

Because it was originally written for the bottom drawstring, and amended by some faceless person later.  If you think the bottom drawstring was useless in keeping the wind from blowing up your arse, then I guess the flap on the Jump Smock was just as useless.

Here we go with another useless debate on why someone designed something.    ::)

Along the same vein, doesn't the bottom elastic on the Cold Wet Weather Jacket have a slit in the back to prevent billowing for parachute ops? I remember reading it on that little card that came with the jacket. you loosen up the elastic on the bottom hem, and fromt the back you pull it...err, across the 'dark side of the moon' as it were, between your legs and up over the bottom button of the coat.

It didn't seem very practical at the time, but I'm not a jumper so I know SFA about if it's really needed.

0tto Destruct said:
...but I'm not a jumper so I know SFA about if it's really needed.

Has already been mentioned that however well-meaning, there are enough straps that make up the parachure harness and holding your reserve and equipment on that the shirt/jacket isn't going to billow anywhere.

Besides, it was one thing for the CAR to have their own specialty clothing back in the day but now the Para Coys are part of conventional battalions and it doesn't make sense to change the combats that 50,000+ people wear to accommodate 300 people even if it did serve a purpose.

I suppose no one bothered to imagine the fact that CF members, not only parachutists, do from time to time operater in extreme conditions that may involve extremely high winds.  Even a "Leg" may find themself in a situation where high winds may billow their shirt up over their head.  But that is only if one were to imagine such conditions.

George Wallace said:
Even a "Leg" may find themself in a situation where high winds may billow their shirt up over their head.  But that is only if one were to imagine such conditions.
As a "Leg", I have found myself in windy situations ;D

I just put on my old SSF jump smock and pinned up the diaper...not to prove a point...I really needed the damn thing.

Jammer said:
I just put on my old SSF jump smock and pinned up the diaper...not to prove a point...I really needed the damn thing.
TOO MUCH INFO!
  ;D

George Wallace said:
I suppose no one bothered to imagine the fact that CF members, not only parachutists, do from time to time operater in extreme conditions that may involve extremely high winds.  Even a "Leg" may find themself in a situation where high winds may billow their shirt up over their head.  But that is only if one were to imagine such conditions.

I guess I could use it today...a little windy around Oromoscow today,er, well not really.

Regards

I noticed one of my peeves about the waist string on the combats.  Usually it's females, but I have seen guys do it too;  don't tie the string so tight as to create a bulge above and below it.  :-X  Loose combat shirts are a blessing in disguise sometimes.....they hide my many body flaws.  ;)

I  like the freaking strings...
imagine if you get into a survival situation and are separated from the rest of your kit; you need to tie stuff for a shelter or trap or something but you have no cordage... then you remember that you still have that idiot string...
anyway, just a stretch.
I do still have those in place, I just find the right tightness, make some appropriate knots and tie them in place, not dangling - permanently; I just undo two top buttons and pull it over (i reverse it for washing so that the pattern doesn't wear out... (waiting for a call from the psychoanalyst...)

cheers,
Frank

The jump smock was cool but some ppl also cut the diaper out - didn't prevent any billowing. I used to hate the big a** bras buttons to hold it that ended up just about your kidneys.

cheers,
Frank

PanaEng,

It's not so much that there are strings so much as their seemingly too-high location which is not at the natural waistline but a couple ribs up.

PanaEng said:
I  like the freaking strings...
imagine if you get into a survival situation and are separated from the rest of your kit; you need to tie stuff for a shelter or trap or something but you have no cordage... then you remember that you still have that idiot string...
anyway, just a stretch.

Not to nit pick, but in your scenario, you're seperated form your kit, but you have a tarp? Myself and pretty much every other Infantryman I know carries a pocket knife, cordage, flint, etc. with them in the unlikely but very regretable event of being 'sans kit'. If you are in a 'survival situation' and are relying on your drawstrings for shelter, you're already pretty much hooped.

The dustflaps on the other hand, I have heard of guys using them for tp after a particularly 'energetic' IMP.

Brutus said:
Not to nit pick, but in your scenario, you're seperated form your kit, but you have a tarp? Myself and pretty much every other Infantryman I know carries a pocket knife, cordage, flint, etc. with them in the unlikely but very regretable event of being 'sans kit'. If you are in a 'survival situation' and are relying on your drawstrings for shelter, you're already pretty much hooped.

The dustflaps on the other hand, I have heard of guys using them for tp after a particularly 'energetic' IMP.

The strings are good for self-strangualtion purposes,  :nod:to promote total blackout during certain PowerPointless presentations....

see: strangulation, tarp or trap, keep the ideas coming  ;D
I know we can come up with more  8)

Back