• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Time commitment for Navy Reserve training

Mike5

Reaction score
Hello,

I am an experienced professional with no prior military experience.  I am hoping to join the Navy reserve while keeping my present civilian role.  My understanding is that for a DEO I would need to complete BMQ and NETP training.  Can anyone offer an informed opinion on the time required -- I understand this is at least 8 weeks but likely more?  I may be able to negotiate a leave-of-absence / extended vacation with my current long-term employer.

I thank you in advance for your help,

Regards,

Mike

Mike5 said:
Hello,

I am an experienced professional with no prior military experience.  I am hoping to join the Navy reserve while keeping my present civilian role.  My understanding is that for a DEO I would need to complete BMQ and NETP training.  Can anyone offer an informed opinion on the time required -- I understand this is at least 8 weeks but likely more?  I may be able to negotiate a leave-of-absence / extended vacation with my current long-term employer.

I thank you in advance for your help,

Regards,

Mike

First, DEO is Direct Entry Officer whereas BMQ and NETP are courses for non-commissioned members.  Therefore, you are either doing BOTC and NETPO as an officer or BMQ and NETP as an NCM.

On the site here, you should find exact time lengths for each course.  However, your best idea for this situation is to talk to someone at either your local recruiting office or at the Naval Reserve Division where you will be attending.  They will be able to tell you more precisely how long each course is and approximately when they will be scheduled so that you can plan better with your civilian employee.

Also, you may have the option to take your NETP at another time, for example, the summer following your BMQ.  Be aware though, that you will be expected to parade one night per week from September to May and usually all or part of a weekend once per month.  You will also need to take trade courses which are usually held in the summer for reservists.

Depending on how much and how frequently your civilian employee will grant you time off or a leave of absence, I strongly suggest that you look into your training requirements for the next few years.

Good luck.

Thank you for the reply -- my  mistake, I believe I would need BOTC and/or NETPO. 

From the board and the Navy Reserve site it looks like BOTC could be 4 to 8 weeks.  I'm going to visit the CFRC and speak to the reserve unit in the next week to find out more.

One night per week and weekends are easy to manage but longer times will take some advance planning... from your comment it seems like it may be possible to do more, shorter sessions as opposed to one long session?

Regards,

Hi,

I'm thinking about Naval Intelligence or Maritime Surface officer.  Any advice is appreciated -- I want to leverage my civilian experience if possible:
- experienced (recreational) sailor
- experienced Information Security professional (audit, consulting and project management)
- experienced manager

Regards,

For both trade, you'll need to be able to take at least 3 times 12-16 weeks off. That the basic time commitment you'll have to do. Basic and pahses training.

I understand that some Army Reserve units may do BMOQ over weekends?  Are you aware of anyone who has done this and then transferred to the Navy?  I understand that I would still have to do trade-specific training after that.

Do you know if an InfoSec background would be an asset for a role in Navy Intelligence?  The website indicates that this role is primarily concerned with commercial shipping.

Thank you for your help,

Regards,

No I am not aware of anyone who did it. Where I am there is not Army reserve only Navy.

I'm in the NavRes Int trade but I didn't do any trade course yet. But there is two role, one in commercial shipping stuff, but there is also the intelligence job, the BIOQ is mostly the same as the RegF so you can do be intelligence watch officer or analyst and do this kind of stuff when you're qualified. I don't know if it is related to InfoSec... ?

At your unit there is not much stuff that is specific to Navres Int from want I see at my unit. The only person qualified in this trade at my unit is the recruitment officer + fullfilling a bunch of others admin position.

You have to go on exercice to pratice Int or NCAGS stuff.

My 2 cent. I'm a newbie and as I told yuo the Navres Int at my unit didn't do much stuff related to this trade event if he worked full-time.

Thanks, that helps.  InfoSec is making sure computer systems are protected against attacks / misuse, etc.  I think the Intel analyst would require the same skills.  I'll search on BIOQS and see what there is,

Regards,

The militia basic training is using the militia standard while in the Naval reserve, the standard is the same as the Regular force. Chances are that your Basic training may not be credited unless you have lots of experience to back it up.

Back