• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Time off in Ports

Navy_Bean

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi All.

Curious as to what people usually do when they have time off docked in ports...how long usually do you spend at ports?...Does the crew find themselves going off by themselves, or do they stick with their crew mates?....

Thanks so much! ;D

Navy_Bean said:
Hi All.

Curious as to what people usually do when they have time off docked in ports...how long usually do you spend at ports?...Does the crew find themselves going off by themselves, or do they stick with their crew mates?....

Thanks so much! ;D

Pretty much what ever they want to do so long as its legal, doesn't contradict any of the myriad of rules we follow, and allows you to be back on board by the time leave expires.

While it has been some years since I was last on a 'run ashore', the spectrum of activities is as broad as the individuals.  The range of that spectrum includes:

- those that stay on board and have no interest at all in getting off the boat
- those that just want to go drinking, get a tattoo or other perhaps 'seamier' activities
- those that play tourist and want to see the sights
- sporting types who go off running and cycling
- those that just want to walk around, see a movie, go the mall and go shopping
- get invited to the local mess and meet local sailors.

Any or all of these can be done.  In groups or singly. To some extent it also depends on the port and the weather. 

And at the end, everyone will have a story (some of them true) about what they did. 

stoker dave said:
While it has been some years since I was last on a 'run ashore', the spectrum of activities is as broad as the individuals.  The range of that spectrum includes:

- those that stay on board and have no interest at all in getting off the boat
- those that just want to go drinking, get a tattoo or other perhaps 'seamier' activities
- those that play tourist and want to see the sights
- sporting types who go off running and cycling
- those that just want to walk around, see a movie, go the mall and go shopping
- get invited to the local mess and meet local sailors.

Any or all of these can be done.  In groups or singly. To some extent it also depends on the port and the weather. 

And at the end, everyone will have a story (some of them true) about what they did.

I've done all of the above, well, except for the first one.  Tourism on the Queen's dime is pretty cool.  It would be an awful waste not to take advantage of it.  Even in Kitimat (which has no redeeming features from this point of view), I still went ashore at least once.

Back