• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Time required for initial training while working full time

jdavids1

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello

I tried to do a search for similar topics to this but could not find anything that was directly relevant so I figured I would ask the question.

I am an electrical engineer, and have been thinking for some time about joining the reserves, I have a full time career, mon-friday that I would not want to give up (hence why I wanted to join the reserves).

My question is, what would be the time required for the initial training, is it something that can be done on weekends/evenings? would I need to take a # of months off of work (which might not be possible)?

The 1 day a week, 1 weekend a month committment is not an issue, my question would be about the initial training.

Regards

For what job in the reserves?

I'm pretty new but as far as I know for infantry BMQ is held during weekends Sept to Mayish and then 6-8 weeks of straight training in the summer. As for time off, it all depends on your employer.

Over the fall, winter or spring you could be on a sort of basic training course.  1 to 2 nights a week (7pm to 10pm) and 1 to 2 weekends a month (Friday 6 pm to sunday at 4pm give or take).

To become "trained" expect to go away over the summer for 6 to 8 weeks.  The exact time varies but expect to spend a summer away training.

You would have to be more specific with which trade you want to do in the Reserves to give any idea of how the training would work.  Throw a couple that your looking at out and I can comment on them.

Back