• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Top Gun 2

Dimsum said:
For the love of all that's holy, please, no more beach volleyball scene.  :-X

Wait, so we won't be playing beach volleyball when I get to Esquimalt?!?  Next you're going to tell me MARS officers aren't training for the voyage to Mars!

Tuna said:
in a survey performed over YouTube, twitter, Google +, Twitter and Facebook by a popular movie critic, fans were asked whether they would prefer to see Top Gun 2, or Dumb and Dumber 2.

The winner by a landslide (almost 70%) was Dumb and Dumber 2

The moral of the story Hollywood is don't make either of them

But I'll go see it anyway!

Way too late, they made Dumb and Dumberer years ago.....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0329028/

I met Jeff Daniels about 10 years ago and he asked if I had seen Dumb and Dumber; When I said yes, he apologized.

Resurrecting the thread for the trailer.  Wow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwIBkmgz6uA&fbclid=IwAR12kg63m_1EIzq331p_qdZz8GT3QnRxVTmdojVU0KDfFAUxrGa-6f-E17s

Saw a shirtless volleyball scene in there Dimsum... 😉  Movie actually looks solid!!

Dimsum said:
Resurrecting the thread for the trailer.  Wow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwIBkmgz6uA&fbclid=IwAR12kg63m_1EIzq331p_qdZz8GT3QnRxVTmdojVU0KDfFAUxrGa-6f-E17s

Wisely, it seems they've decided to issue the F35s to the less senile pilots :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the US military if you don't reach a certain officers rank in a said period of time you get punted? In other words no career Captains?

Retired AF Guy said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the US military if you don't reach a certain officers rank in a said period of time you get punted? In other words no career Captains?

A Captain in the USN, so it looks like he got promoted 3 ranks since the first movie

MARS said:
A Captain in the USN, so it looks like he got promoted 3 ranks since the first movie

Not surprised by the relatively low rank. He does have a history of high speed passes over five air control towers and one admirals daughter.

MARS said:

But how many times was he busted down in that period??

Dimsum said:
....relax, I can almost feel the cubicle in NDHQ or the Crystal Palace waiting for me after my time down under.

aesop081 said:
Oh i've started dropping your name already  >:D

Oh, the irony all these years later... ;D

If Maverick is still flying F-18s, then they should damned well be good enough for us.

Also I want another trailer with more Ed Harris.

In the trailer I saw a hand slap something on a casket. So that made me think a couple of scenarios:

Goose's son is a SEAL

Mav did something to get him killed.

(I'll be very disappointed if Goose's family is not involved in this flick!)

The final scene in the trailer is an F-14; does this mean Iran is the bad guy?

FSTO said:
In the trailer I saw a hand slap something on a casket. So that made me think a couple of scenarios:

Goose's son is a SEAL

Mav did something to get him killed.

(I'll be very disappointed if Goose's family is not involved in this flick!)

While the "Trident slap on the coffin" is a SEAL thing, I've watched that trailer more times than I'd care to admit and those are USN Naval Aviator wings that get slapped on.  I'm pretty sure that's not a tradition in real life though.

Journeyman said:
The final scene in the trailer is an F-14; does this mean Iran is the bad guy?

If Iran's F-14s are still airworthy, that means we should start getting Iranian Air Force airplane technicians to work for us :nod:

Dimsum said:
While the "Trident slap on the coffin" is a SEAL thing, I've watched that trailer more times than I'd care to admit and those are USN Naval Aviator wings that get slapped on.  I'm pretty sure that's not a tradition in real life though.

If Iran's F-14s are still airworthy, that means we should start getting Iranian Air Force airplane technicians to work for us :nod:

I just watched the trailer again and saw the Aviator wings vice the trident.

Concur on the capabilities of the Iranian Air Force Airframe, Electronic and Engine technicians!

Retired AF Guy said:

Yes, the USN has an up or out policy.  Nevertheless, there are plenty of 50+ naval aviator captains (one is a friend of mine).  However, it could be possible that this is one of those extremely rare occasions where Hollywood has made a mistake and portrayed military life and/or policy slightly inaccurately - especially rare for a Tom Cruise movie!

Retired AF Guy said:

If actual time was followed (instead of pretend movie time) Mav would have been mandatorily retired years ago.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/search/display.html?terms=634&url=/uscode/html/uscode10/usc_sec_10_00000634----000-.html
(a)  30 Years of Active Commissioned Service.—
Except as provided in subsection (b) and as provided under section 637(b) or 637a of this title, each officer of the Regular Army, Regular Air Force, or Regular Marine Corps who holds the regular grade of colonel, and each officer of the Regular Navy who holds the regular grade of captain, who is not on a list of officers recommended for promotion to the regular grade of brigadier general or rear admiral (lower half), respectively, shall, if not earlier retired, be retired on the first day of the month after the month in which he completes 30 years of active commissioned service.

(b) Exceptions.—Subsection (a) does not apply to the following:
(1)  An officer of the Navy who is designated for limited duty to whom section 8372(a)(4) of this title applies.

(2)  An officer of the Navy or Marine Corps who is a permanent professor at the United States Naval Academy.

Blackadder1916 said:
If actual time was followed (instead of pretend movie time) Mav would have been mandatorily retired years ago.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/search/display.html?terms=634&url=/uscode/html/uscode10/usc_sec_10_00000634----000-.html

So would Tom Cruise... but thanks to the marvels of modern science, and Scientology.... :)

Back