• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Toronto: Love it or hate it?

The people with the main problem, are those that think an area / country should continue to look the same. These isn't our grandparents period, times are changing and people are going to have to learn to suck it up. It must be fun (NOT) living in a small minded community

opcougar said:
The people with the main problem, are those that think an area / country should continue to look the same. These isn't our grandparents period, times are changing and people are going to have to learn to suck it up. It must be fun (NOT) living in a small minded community

I don't think anyone said an area should remain the same.  I've stated why I don't like Toronto and wouldn't live there.  I don't hate the people that live in the city, just don't want the lifestyle. 

FortYorkRifleman said:
Something that isn't spoken about is the wanting to leave cities like Toronto because of the changing demographic. Some people just don't want to live/work/play with people that don't look like them. Its a shame but who cares, really

Who are these people and what are you suggesting they're doing instead? I doubt that they're moving to Brampton, or if they are, they're pretty confused.

FortYorkRifleman said:
One of the things I experienced as a reservist was coming home from or less frequently going to Fort York in uniform was usually bewilderment that I was in Toronto and not in some base in the middle of nowhere or what do we actually do. My own experience now re enrolling as a Reg Force member has taught me we aren't lacking for recruits but at the same time there's such a disconnect between military and civilian that its a shame that a larger pool of people aren't interested or don't care about the military. The CAF should not only represent the faces of Canada but the geography as well

I will say that Toronto should be looked upon as how a big city can be done right; very little crime, different races more or less gelling, and freedom to step out of your own ethnic shell and interact with the wider population.

I really wish folks'd stop trying to metric who joins the CF.  There's nothing wrong with, for example, an overrepresentation of baymen. A magical perfect PC mix representing some balance of what is Canada isn't superior to having a merit-based selection processing of those motivated to apply.

Brasidas said:
There's nothing wrong with, for example, an overrepresentation of baymen.

"Ask a townie for a smoke,
He will say his pipe is broke;
Ask a bayman for a chew,
He will bite it off for you."

Brasidas said:
Who are these people and what are you suggesting they're doing instead? I doubt that they're moving to Brampton, or if they are, they're pretty confused.

I'm not suggesting anything. I can tell you stories of people who dislike what Toronto "has become" but what for? It'll lead to a debate I don't want

I really wish folks'd stop trying to metric who joins the CF.  There's nothing wrong with, for example, an overrepresentation of baymen. A magical perfect PC mix representing some balance of what is Canada isn't superior to having a merit-based selection processing of those motivated to apply.

I agree and wasn't lamenting who is joining just who isn't.

I grew up in New Brunswick and learned the French hated the English and vice versa. Amongst the anglophones, us Saint Johners hated Fredericton and Moncton. Since moving to Toronto I've also learned I'm stuck up and self centered based on my postal code. Despite the fact most Torontonians like myself never grew up here.

My conclusion. Canadians like to complain. We will bitch about anything. Don't take it personally.

Danny78 said:
Despite the fact most Torontonians like myself never grew up here.

Something I heard years ago was that there are three Toronto's.
First, the city of the man or woman who was born here, who takes it for granted.
Second, there is the Toronto of the commuter.
Third, there is the Toronto of the person who was born somewhere else and came in quest of something.
They say the new comers are the ones who give the city it's passion, because they are depending a good deal on luck.

mariomike said:
Something I heard years ago was that there are three Toronto's.
First, the city of the man or woman who was born here, who takes it for granted.
Second, there is the Toronto of the commuter.
Third, there is the Toronto of the person who was born somewhere else and came in quest of something.
They say the new comers are the ones who give the city it's passion, because they are depending a good deal on luck.

I've seen people come and go every year and its cycle where the beneficiaries are property owners, bars and married men and/or older single men who had a sugar baby for a year or so. I used to work for a high end retail company and every six months or so a new sales girl or greeter from a small town would be hired on just on looks and age alone. Many are Facebook friends who now live back at home their parents after their modeling/film/fashion career went nowhere. Truth be told Toronto is like other cities

FortYorkRifleman said:
I've seen people come and go every year and its cycle where the beneficiaries are property owners, bars and married men and/or older single men who had a sugar baby for a year or so. I used to work for a high end retail company and every six months or so a new sales girl or greeter from a small town would be hired on just on looks and age alone. Many are Facebook friends who now live back at home their parents after their modeling/film/fashion career went nowhere. Truth be told Toronto is like other cities

This town will suck you in, beat you down, grind you up, and spit you out.  :)

There's a broken heart  for every bright light on Yonge St.

Danny78 said:
My conclusion. Canadians like to complain. We will bitch about anything. Don't take it personally.
In other words, you'll find "Springfield vs. Shelbyville" everywhere, right?  ;D

milnews.ca said:
In other words, you'll find "Springfield vs. Shelbyville" everywhere, right?  ;D

I like when Tony Bennet sings, "Capital City":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2Ulgtvx-NA

You'll never want to roam from
Capitol City, my home sweet -- Yeah!
Capitol City, that happy tall city
It's Capitol City, my home sweet swingin' home!

It does upset me when people from out of town say things about Toronto's crime rate, how dirty the city is, and the constant construction. While I understand the construction complaint, Toronto's crime rate is so low in comparison to American cities of comparable size/status that I think Canadian's are spoiled; we have no idea how good we have it here. There is no neighborhood in this town I'd be afraid to walk through after dark, the police here are ever present either on bikes, patrol cars or on foot at major intersections like Yonge and Dundas. As far as the dirtiness of Toronto I don't see it; the most prevalent of "trash" I see are cigarette butts which have increased since the patio ban at the beginning of the year.

One other issue is homelessness which, while one is too many, isn't as bad as other cities. Some of the panhandlers can be aggressive but no different than any other big city.

FortYorkRifleman said:
Toronto's crime rate is so low in comparison to American cities < snip >

For reference, crime rates in Canadian cities:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Canada#Violent_crime_severity_index_by_CMA

Well...it shouldn't because there is a whole lot of crap that happens in the boonies, that I wouldn't want to be part of. Most of the time, boonies folks are bored out of their mind, and a trip to Costco / meet up a Timmies parking lot / driving ATVs up and down is the highlight of their day / week.

Folks from the boonies are also more likely to believe everything they see/hear on the news.

FortYorkRifleman said:
It does upset me when people from out of town say things about Toronto's crime rate, how dirty the city is, and the constant construction. While I understand the construction complaint, Toronto's crime rate is so low in comparison to American cities of comparable size/status that I think Canadian's are spoiled; we have no idea how good we have it here. There is no neighborhood in this town I'd be afraid to walk through after dark, the police here are ever present either on bikes, patrol cars or on foot at major intersections like Yonge and Dundas. As far as the dirtiness of Toronto I don't see it; the most prevalent of "trash" I see are cigarette butts which have increased since the patio ban at the beginning of the year.

One other issue is homelessness which, while one is too many, isn't as bad as other cities. Some of the panhandlers can be aggressive but no different than any other big city.

opcougar said:
Folks from the boonies are also more likely to believe everything they see/hear on the news.

It's true 'cause I just read it on the internet. :nod:

I always had the best luck with small town girls, for some reason. I met a girl at Indigo bookstore in the Eaton Centre where she and I were both looking in the International Poli Sci section and after talking for about twenty minutes had an impromptu date at Jack Astor's then a movie. I notice women born and raised or at least in Toronto for a couple of years are standoffish with guys but small town gals are just like "let's see where this goes".

opcougar said:
Well...it shouldn't because there is a whole lot of crap that happens in the boonies, that I wouldn't want to be part of. Most of the time, boonies folks are bored out of their mind, and a trip to Costco / meet up a Timmies parking lot / driving ATVs up and down is the highlight of their day / week.

That depends on the "boonies".  Lots of people in big cities can be bored out of their mind too, going to the same restaurants/bars/activities.  Sometimes living in a small town forces you to do things that you wouldn't have thought you'd like (e.g. trail running, hiking, sailing, etc.)

FortYorkRifleman said:
I always had the best luck with small town girls, for some reason.

Just a small town girl
Livin' in a lonely world
She took the midnight train goin' anywhere
Just a city boy
Born and raised in south Detroit
He took the midnight train goin' anywhere
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvhEoL7wzCs

mariomike said:
Just a small town girl
Livin' in a lonely world
She took the midnight train goin' anywhere
Just a city boy