• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Toronto: Love it or hate it?

FortYorkRifleman said:
I would like to actually live somewhere that's not Toronto, preferably Alberta, so as to experience life on the West Coast.

Unless BC has fallen into the ocean going to Alberta might not help you with experiencing life on the west coast...

FortYorkRifleman said:
I know whatever happens I'll do it anyway but I would like to actually live somewhere that's not Toronto, preferably Alberta, so as to experience life on the West Coast.

Wow. That's a "talking to Torontonians" moment if I ever saw one.

Scott said:
Wow. That's a "talking to Torontonians" moment if I ever saw one.

Yeah it looks bad so let me clarify: What I meant to type was living in Ontario I've been to cities and provinces close to me like Ottawa, Montreal etc. If I am accepted, pass all my courses and (hopefully) end up in Edmonton with (hopefully) The PPCLI it'll allow me to explore other provinces and cities I'm not familiar with.

FortYorkRifleman said:
Yeah it looks bad so let me clarify: What I meant to type was living in Ontario I've been to cities and provinces close to me like Ottawa, Montreal etc. If I am accepted, pass all my courses and (hopefully) end up in Edmonton with (hopefully) The PPCLI it'll allow me to explore other provinces and cities I'm not familiar with.

Save up your pennies and spend a week in Victoria?  That's all it took for me to realize I wanted to live there.  :nod:

Background before I post, not from Toronto but not from the sticks either I grew up in a city of approx 130-140K, so def not some tiny hick town like Petawawa.

I personally dislike Toronto, great place to visit for the multitude of attractions and what not.  I HATE public transportation, i'm one of those people who would rather drive than take metro/bus etc...so right away Toronto loses points for that...AND I hate being couped up in a tiny car so ya.

I don't have anything personally against T.O, I'm not a fan of MTL or Vancouver either.  One of my "beefs" with Toronto is that it seems TO accomodating, I mean I go there and the stores have chinese, japanese, russian, etc signs for bathrooms and etc...Sorry but there are 2 official languages here and ONE of them isn't even on there.  Almost wish that immigration told people you have to pick somewhere else to live than Toronto, MTL or Vancouver lol spread the love of this multi culturism.  Say what you want this isnt about race, but culture when i'm in Toronto I don't feel like i'm in Canada anymore

Obviously other reasons not a fan of toronto are housing...I don't want to live in a tiny dinky apartment that costs me what a house should cost...
Toronto is like the Canadian NY, New Yorkers are famous for believing the best of ANYTHING is in NY so why leave NY lol

MrBlue said:
Background before I post, not from Toronto but not from the sticks either I grew up in a city of approx 130-140K, so def not some tiny hick town like Petawawa.

I personally dislike Toronto, great place to visit for the multitude of attractions and what not.  I HATE public transportation, i'm one of those people who would rather drive than take metro/bus etc...so right away Toronto loses points for that...AND I hate being couped up in a tiny car so ya.

I don't have anything personally against T.O, I'm not a fan of MTL or Vancouver either.  One of my "beefs" with Toronto is that it seems TO accomodating, I mean I go there and the stores have chinese, japanese, russian, etc signs for bathrooms and etc...Sorry but there are 2 official languages here and ONE of them isn't even on there.  Almost wish that immigration told people you have to pick somewhere else to live than Toronto, MTL or Vancouver lol spread the love of this multi culturism.  Say what you want this isnt about race, but culture when i'm in Toronto I don't feel like i'm in Canada anymore

Obviously other reasons not a fan of toronto are housing...I don't want to live in a tiny dinky apartment that costs me what a house should cost...
Toronto is like the Canadian NY, New Yorkers are famous for believing the best of ANYTHING is in NY so why leave NY lol

What is Canada, exactly? I'm curious as everyone has their own definition of what is and isn't. My impression about people like you is that Canada is small town living where everyone looks like you. Toronto is what people think Canada is all about; multiculturalism, freedom to be etc. If you think the country would want to advertise Bowmanville, Ont or Shilo, Manitoba as what Canada really is I doubt it'll go well in the way of tourism, attracting skilled workers to the country

FortYorkRifleman said:
You are going to love Shilo Manitoba then!

;D

FortYorkRifleman said:
What is Canada, exactly? I'm curious as everyone has their own definition of what is and isn't. My impression about people like you is that Canada is small town living where everyone looks like you. Toronto is what people think Canada is all about; multiculturalism, freedom to be etc. If you think the country would want to advertise Bowmanville, Ont or Shilo, Manitoba as what Canada really is I doubt it'll go well in the way of tourism, attracting skilled workers to the country

...um, not to cast doubt on your choice of trade and/or Regiment, but you do realize the 2 PPCLI is based in Shilo, right? 

And in my very unscientific survey of Australians and Americans (with the occasional Brit and Kiwi thrown in for flavour), most of them think Canada is about wide open spaces, beautiful natural scenery, great places for snow and water sports, and free healthcare (ok, that was mostly Americans who thought that).  If I showed them Toronto, most Australians, as an example, would think it's much like Sydney and vice versa.

Dimsum said:
And in my very unscientific survey of Australians and Americans (with the occasional Brit and Kiwi thrown in for flavour), most of them think Canada is about wide open spaces, beautiful natural scenery, great places for snow and water sports ....
I hear the same thing in my own unscientific survey of Italians in Italy as well - with some of them adding "hunting and fishing".

Dimsum said:
. . .  If I showed them Toronto, most Australians, as an example, would think it's much like Sydney and vice versa.

Yeah, but, Lake Ontario and therefore Toronto, will not be effected by global warming and the rise of the sea levels. Sydney, on the other hand, . . .  ;D

:cheers:

FortYorkRifleman said:

I don't understand you. Toronto is NOT Canada. There is a ton of people that don't care for city life so get over it. I enjoy the peace and quiet in the very small town I live in. I also enjoy having a large home low taxes and a giant front and back yard. That is something you can't get in Toronto. Oh guess what not everyone looks like me. There are other races and cultures here in town too. For the record I'm not a small town hick either and I have lived in Toronto before too. Did not care for it. Nothing you say will change that.

Teager said:
I don't understand you. Toronto is NOT Canada. There is a ton of people that don't care for city life so get over it. I enjoy the peace and quiet in the very small town I live in. I also enjoy having a large home low taxes and a giant front and back yard. That is something you can't get in Toronto. Oh guess what not everyone looks like me. There are other races and cultures here in town too. For the record I'm not a small town hick either and I have lived in Toronto before too. Did not care for it. Nothing you say will change that.

:goodpost:

Teager said:

I never said Toronto is Canada...

FortYorkRifleman said:
I never said Toronto is Canada...

However, you've been trying hard as hell since your opening post to convince everyone that it is.

Some people love the place and lots of people loath it.

You're not going to change any minds.

How about you just accept the fact that everyone is not Toronto centric and we'll all agree to disagree.

Put it to bed already.

recceguy said:
However, you've been trying hard as hell since your opening post to convince everyone that it is.

Some people love the place and lots of people loath it.

You're not going to change any minds.

How about you just accept the fact that everyone is not Toronto centric and we'll all agree to disagree.

Put it to bed already.

I don't work for Toronto Tourism, recceguy. My "opening post" was inquiring as to what people thought of the city, nothing more.

FortYorkRifleman said:
What is Canada, exactly? I'm curious as everyone has their own definition of what is and isn't. My impression about people like you is that Canada is small town living where everyone looks like you. Toronto is what people think Canada is all about; multiculturalism, freedom to be etc.

But you did say Toronto is what people think Canada is all about. I did not realize you speak for all people. If you want opinions then respect the fact that there will be lots of people that just don't care for city life. I'm glad you enjoy it it's what you like and I like somewhat the opposite. Your comments on people from small towns that don't care for Toronto that they seem closed minded or that they live in all white communities and don't care for other cultures/races is what irritates us. In all honesty you do sound like you are trying to sell Toronto.

Teager said:
But you did say Toronto is what people think Canada is all about. I did not realize you speak for all people. If you want opinions then respect the fact that there will be lots of people that just don't care for city life. I'm glad you enjoy it it's what you like and I like somewhat the opposite. Your comments on people from small towns that don't care for Toronto that they seem closed minded or that they live in all white communities and don't care for other cultures/races is what irritates us. In all honesty you do sound like you are trying to sell Toronto.

Ditto!  I grew up in a very small town in the middle of nowhere.  Valedictorian of my graduating year was Vietnamese.  My hometown is 60% French, 40% English and pretty much everyone speaks both languages.  We also have a substantial Aboriginal population.  I take offence to the fact that someone would say we aren't multicultural, I would say that someone doesn't know what the heck they are talking about.

Teager said:

I was referring to a poster who wrote that Toronto makes him feel like he's "not a Canadian". Don't put words in my mouth

Let's see if I can get this love fest topic back on track...

Personally, I like Toronto. Every time I've been there, people have been really friendly. Torontonians have a real pride in being from Toronto (such as the way they rally around the leafs) that I really admire. I find it easy to get around and like the hussle and bussle of the city; you never feel lonely.

Also, I'm a big fan of ethnic food. Given that roughly ~50% of the city is foreign born, the options are endless! I love going into restaurants where I need pictures because even with a translation I don't really understand what they're offering. Some of that food is the best!

One thing I don't like is that the layout of the city feels a little disjointed. It seems like all of the entertainment areas are really spread out. They'll be a nice retaurant here, a few pubs over there, etc. In Montreal, just go downtown on Sherbrooke/St.Catherine between Crescent and St.Denis and its all there! In Vancouver, just go to Granville st! (This is of course specific for nightlife).

Would I live there? Might not be my first choice, but I'd never say "ugh..not Toronto.."

My  :2c:

Back