• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

Status
Not open for further replies.
George Wallace said:
So, for Quebecers a "Bombastic Druggie Ontario Mayor" is worse than a "Mafia Linked Quebec Mayor"?    :-\

Just can't give it a rest, can ya'?

How about more like corrupt politicians are a dime a dozen but Mr. Ford is rather "unique", shall we say.

All this started with Colin's post below:

Colin P said:
Funny how the media never mentions Montreal in their comparisons.

I swear these forums have their own version of Godwin's Law: When you don't know what else to say, drag Quebec in here with some disparaging comment.

Am I the only one that seems to be picking up on this pattern ???

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Just can't give it a rest, can ya'?

How about more like corrupt politicians are a dime a dozen but Mr. Ford is rather "unique", shall we say.

Give up What? 

We have several corrupt mayors of Montreal, perhaps dozens throughout the 50's through 2013, and one "unique" mayor of Toronto.  So, wherein lies your problem?

As for corrupt politicians; can anyone name one 'honest' politician? 

In the end, Ford and his brother will disappear from our memories as have such names as Drapeau, and all those more recent Montreal mayors who have faded from the news.

42% of Torontonians still approve of Ford according to this latest poll by Forum Research, shared with the usual caveats:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/ford-nation-still-stands-by-their-man-new-poll-1.1555428

I will laugh my freaking ass off if he gets voted back in.......

Larry

recceguy said:
[sarcasm] Seriously? The way people are going on, I thought Rob Ford was the exclusive contravener for law breaking politicians in Canada. Heaven forbid that there are blackguards in the other parties  ::) [/sarcasm]

Agreed Brad,

It's not a matter that if everyone does it, it's ok. Rather any politician found breaking the criminal code should be thrown out.

Good for the goose, good for the gander. Ford gets tossed for crack, Trudeau should get tossed for marijuana. It's not about the substance, it's about breaking the law as it is written and stands at the time. They don't get to choose what laws they break.

Any politician breaking the law is not fit to serve. Drugs? Gone. DUI? Gone. Assault? Gone. Theft? Bribery? Tax evasion? Gone. Ad nauseum.

And no, they can't run again after completing their time\ fine and a 12 step program.

There has to be consequences to the actions and we shouldn't be debating who gets a buy.

Ah, I wish life was this straight forward and plain black and white.

Laws evolve, what was once a good law may become a law that does not work in current society or does not make common sense anymore.

The result is that many good people wind up breaking some law. I would venture to say we all, to some extent, break laws to some degree.

What upsets most folks is when cultural norms or moral lines get crossed rather than what legal law gets broken.

So just exactly what is a mortal sin and what is a venal sin? Someone or some governing body or some judge has to make that call.  I personally no longer have the trust in our elected politicians or our judicial systems that the correct call will be made.

For a USA example; one can witness the serial deceit and contempt of moral governmental administration perpetrated on the American people all undertaken in a lawful manner according to that country's laws.

I apologise for my poor grasp of legalese to better explain my point. (I know, apologising is a sign of weakness. lol)

Jed said:
Ah, I wish life was this straight forward and plain black and white.

Laws evolve, what was once a good law may become a law that does not work in current society or does not make common sense anymore.

The result is that many good people wind up breaking some law. I would venture to say we all, to some extent, break laws to some degree.

What upsets most folks is when cultural norms or moral lines get crossed rather than what legal law gets broken.

So just exactly what is a mortal sin and what is a venal sin? Someone or some governing body or some judge has to make that call.  I personally no longer have the trust in our elected politicians or our judicial systems that the correct call will be made.

For a USA example; one can witness the serial deceit and contempt of moral governmental administration perpetrated on the American people all undertaken in a lawful manner according to that country's laws.

I apologise for my poor grasp of legalese to better explain my point. (I know, apologising is a sign of weakness. lol)

However, until it's changed, it's still the law and MPs swear an oath to abide by the law, as most politicians do. They don't quibble about whether they agree or not, that is for after they are elected and in a position to argue for change.

Just because 'some' in society don't believe something should be legislated, doesn't mean it's to be ignored.

The law is the law until it's changed. You don't have a choice, especially as a politician.

Justin Trudeau is an admitted criminal as is Rob Ford.

Larry Strong said:
42% of Torontonians still approve of Ford according to this latest poll by Forum Research, shared with the usual caveats:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/ford-nation-still-stands-by-their-man-new-poll-1.1555428

I will laugh my freaking *** off if he gets voted back in.......

Larry

And that was done before his speech at Casa Loma last night in front of the business community. He came across as articulate humble and straight to the point, same as on Nov 11th, which would suggest when his handlers have a grip on him now.Afterwards in the media scrum he was also calm and pointed out that he proposed a 1.75% tax increase next year to fund the subway line and this week the council without him has proposed raising that to 2.5% to start. When that gets factored in he should hit 45% and get back in easily. As Mercer put it in his rant , we'd vote in a gerbil here if it meant our taxes stayed reasonable.  ;D

Danjanou said:
As Mercer put it in his rant , we'd vote in a gerbil here if it meant our taxes stayed reasonable.  ;D

Or the chance that the next mayor might be Oliva Chow.

recceguy said:
However, until it's changed, it's still the law and MPs swear an oath to abide by the law, as most politicians do. They don't quibble about whether they agree or not, that is for after they are elected and in a position to argue for change.

Just because 'some' in society don't believe something should be legislated, doesn't mean it's to be ignored.

The law is the law until it's changed. You don't have a choice, especially as a politician.

Justin Trudeau is an admitted criminal as is Rob Ford.

I completely agree with you Recce, however remember possession is illegal, not use, therefore neither of them broke the law.  God bless our justice system....

the 48th regulator said:
I completely agree with you Recce, however remember possession is illegal, not use, therefore neither of them broke the law.  God bless our justice system....

There's where the legal argument gets murky: To use you have to possess, but you can't prove whats being used until you can test the substance. Its the same deal with kids not be allowed to purchase cigarettes, but yet its perfectly legal for them to possess and smoke them, heck schools even have smoking areas.

PuckChaser said:
There's where the legal argument gets murky: To use you have to possess, but you can't prove whats being used until you can test the substance. Its the same deal with kids not be allowed to purchase cigarettes, but yet its perfectly legal for them to possess and smoke them, heck schools even have smoking areas.

Considering both ADMITTED to purchasing said narcotics...., is that enough for the courts, no.  But while they both remain LEGALLY innocent, they both are FACTUALLY (by their own admission) guilty.

As for cig's, nothing that you mentioned involves criminal law. 

From todays TO Star:

"The same Forum research poll that shows Ford’s approval rating at 42 per cent  shows only one in three are prepared to vote for him again.
Almost twice as many, more than 6 in 10, say they never will. This suggests certain defeat for Ford at the polls — except for the elephant in the room:

It’s about the money, stupid.

Ford’s unassailable brand is he’ll take care of your tax dollars."

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2013/11/23/moderate_majority_has_a_formidable_task_ahead_james.html

Recent events may make some Toronto voters nostalgic for the Metro era.

The Metro Chairman was the senior political figure in the municipality, and was elected by the members of council. So, s/he had to be someone Council respected and could work with.

the 48th regulator said:
So the drugs just magically appeared in their system?  By extension, use of a drug is normally a result of possession.  ie.  Holding the joint to take a hit means you possess the marijuana contained therein for the period of time you are holding it so odds are both were in possession for at least a limited amount of time.

Retired AF Guy said:
Or the chance that the next mayor might be Oliva Chow.

Possibly. 

But, of the seven Chairmen and Mayors since I hired on with the city, all but one were from the suburbs.

( Two from Etobicoke, two from North York, one from Scarborough, and one from York. )

That's not a prediction, just an observation. 

mariomike said:
Possibly. 

But, of the seven Chairmen and Mayors since I hired on with the city, all but one were from the suburbs.

( Two from Etobicoke, two from North York, one from Scarborough, and one from York. )

That's not a prediction, just an observation.

But, probably a good prediction too.

IIRC Toronto has held pretty steady at somewhere under 3,000,000 for the last decade or so.  (It can't get much bigger because it has no room to grow: the adjoining cities that make up the 905 are generally financially well off and politically quite strong)

The old "City" of Toronto (where dwell the evil bike-riding latte-sipping gym-goers and bean sprout munchers, FordHell be upon them...)  doesn't constitute the single majority of voters: it is outnumbered by the other six former cities/boroughs that were merged by the Harris government into a single city.  It is a bit of a stretch to call them "suburban", but they are certainly more inclined that way than the Old City is.

I think you will be right again. But, hopefully, the next round will bring T.O. a "Mayor of All The People", for a change.

pbi said:
But, probably a good prediction too.

IIRC Toronto has held pretty steady at somewhere under 3,000,000 for the last decade or so.  (It can't get much bigger because it has no room to grow: the adjoining cities that make up the 905 are generally financially well off and politically quite strong)

The old "City" of Toronto (where dwell the evil bike-riding latte-sipping gym-goers and bean sprout munchers, FordHell be upon them...)  doesn't constitute the single majority of voters: it is outnumbered by the other six former cities/boroughs that were merged by the Harris government into a single city.  It is a bit of a stretch to call them "suburban", but they are certainly more inclined that way than the Old City is.

I think you will be right again. But, hopefully, the next round will bring T.O. a "Mayor of All The People", for a change.

I don't know. I still think Mr Ford has the potential to pull off a Marion Barry moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back