• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Transition Group (Previously JPSU and DCSM)

Mediman14 said:
Does that happen very often? I know several of my co-workers was sent to JPSU. Some was able to work everyday, some was only 3-4 days a week. My unit's duty driver is a JPSU mbr who is able to work everyday, he only had an upper body MSK surgery! I have also seen a chain of command trying to send a Member to JPSU without telling the member at all! I wonder what the BSurg uses to determine who goes to JPSU?
I'm not sure how often it is happening across the country but in my recent experience, we were 0/3; notwithstanding the fact the posting request was supported by the CO and BSurg, and the MELs were of the nature of "Light, sedentary, clerical type duties only".  The reply from Ottawa was if the members were able to show up to work 5 days a week, find employment for them in the unit.

Mediman14 said:
...I know several of my co-workers was sent to JPSU. Some was able to work everyday, some was only 3-4 days a week. My unit's duty driver is a JPSU mbr who is able to work everyday, he only had an upper body MSK surgery! I have also seen a chain of command trying to send a Member to JPSU without telling the member at all! I wonder what the BSurg uses to determine who goes to JPSU?
The determination to send a member to JPSU is a chain of command decision, not the BSurg’s.

The BSurg can recommend JPSU to the CoC if they feel it is in the mbr’s best interest, and the BSurg confirms that MELs will be of a duration greater than 6 months (usually, the prognosis for return to full duties is significantly longer, though). However, the final decision on whether to post a member to JPSU lies purely with the CO of the unit.

There's a new CANFORGEN out today on the Return to Duty program that has a direct bearing on this discussion.  There's also a RTD manual now as well.
ArmyDoc said:
The determination to send a member to JPSU is a chain of command decision, not the BSurg’s.

The BSurg can recommend JPSU to the CoC if they feel it is in the mbr’s best interest, and the BSurg confirms that MELs will be of a duration greater than 6 months (usually, the prognosis for return to full duties is significantly longer, though). However, the final decision on whether to post a member to JPSU lies purely with the CO of the unit.
The CO of the unit just makes a recommendation as well, it is D Mil C who makes the final decision.

I've seen a B Surg refuse a transfer, and six months later, with new folks in the chairs, seen the same file hit the new B Surg who asked "Why wasn't this done six months ago?"

Medicine remains more art than science...

garb811 said:
There's a new CANFORGEN out today on the Return to Duty program that has a direct bearing on this discussion.  There's also a RTD manual now as well.The CO of the unit just makes a recommendation as well, it is D Mil C who makes the final decision.

Uhuh.  CO with authorities granted by NDA is trumped by staff officer.

This is why we can't have nice things.

dapaterson said:
I've seen a B Surg refuse a transfer, and six months later, with new folks in the chairs, seen the same file hit the new B Surg who asked "Why wasn't this done six months ago?"

Medicine remains more art than science...
I've had the experience where the BSurg absolutely refused to support a recommendation for a posting to JPSU even though the member's MELs were much more restrictive than those of others they did support.

PPCLI Guy said:
Uhuh.  CO with authorities granted by NDA is trumped by staff officer.

This is why we can't have nice things.
Well, to be fair, a CO doesn't have the authority to unilaterally post a member of their unit.  Even in the stovepipes like MP and Health Services, the Career Managers belong to CMP and are only "responsive" to the individual Branch advisors.

garb811 said:
Even in the stovepipes like MP and Health Services, the Career Managers belong to CMP and are only "responsive" to the individual Branch advisors.

And I've got a nice bridge in Brooklyn for sale...

dapaterson said:
And I've got a nice bridge in Brooklyn for sale...
Think what you want but I've seen the CFPM lose when he wanted to unilaterally do something that was against the career management policies even though the personnel and positions were solely MP.

But in any case, a posting still doesn't happen on a CO's or a Branch Advisor's authority, that's vested in CMP.  A CO can't even do a formal, internal, position change within HRMS without getting the CM involved.

If a posting to JPSU is strongly recommended by an BSurg for near future medical release and is supported by a Mbrs CO, how does a Mbr career manager go against them by not allowing it happen? Clearly a BSurg (Maj or LCol) and CO (LCol) get out ranked by a CWO? ???

In my experience D Mil C proper makes that call.  It isn’t just the member’s career manager who is involved, via preparing the AR and making their recommendation, JPSU also has their own career manager who makes a recommendation as well. The member’s career manager is then involved after the AR by either cutting the posting message to JPSU if it is approved or transmitting the AR decision if it is negative.

DMCA and D Med Pol may also provide input when appropriate.

garb811 said:
In my experience D Mil C proper makes that call.  It isn’t just the member’s career manager who is involved, via preparing the AR and making their recommendation, JPSU also has their own career manager who makes a recommendation as well. The member’s career manager is then involved after the AR by either cutting the posting message to JPSU if it is approved or transmitting the AR decision if it is negative.

DMCA and D Med Pol may also provide input when appropriate.

Thank you for taking the time to explain it to me. We have a lot of policy/ orders, from what I have seen , I have never came across the complete process! Perhaps I am just not looking in the right spot!

Well...it's complicated in that each request is looked at on its own merits and sometimes, there are other issues at play that the BSurg and CO may not be aware of when they are making their recommendations.  That is why DMCA and D Med Pol sometimes get brought in to provide input because the BSurg is not the final authority on medical issues, just like the CO is not the final authority on issues such as recommendations for release or retention.

If the member has already had a complete AR/MEL then the process is more cut and dried because the AR/MEL decision message will usually have a statement in there stating if the member is only eligible for posting to JPSU for the last six months prior to release for voc rehab for instance, or if they should be posted immediately due to MELs or case management purposes.

Resource: Military Career Transition Guide

The Transition Group was formed from JPSU and DCSM.

Here is the press release:
Ministers Sajjan and O’Regan announce stand up of Transition Group focused on improving the transition experience of Canadian Armed Forces members, veterans, and their families

News release

December 10, 2018 – Ottawa – National Defence / Canadian Armed Forces / Veterans Affairs Canada

The Government of Canada is improving the transition of Canadian Armed Forces members, veterans, and their families from military to civilian life by ensuring there is a full range of support and services available to them.

The Honourable Harjit S. Sajjan, Minister of National Defence, and the Honourable Seamus O’Regan, Minister of Veterans Affairs and Associate Minister of National Defence, today announced the stand up of the Canadian Armed Forces Transition Group.

The creation of the Transition Group is a key aspect of improving the transition experience for Canadian Armed Forces members and their families; it will ensure that members begin to think about transition earlier in their careers with leadership guidance and mandatory training that will make them feel equipped, confident and secure to plan and prepare for life after service.

The new formation will deliver personalized, guided casualty support and transition services to Canadian Armed Forces members, veterans, and their families, with special care and attention to those who are ill and injured. In collaboration with key partners, including Veterans Affairs Canada, the Transition Group will design a renewed process with a goal of assisting Canadian Armed Forces members in their journey throughout their career and beyond.

The stand up of the Canadian Armed Forces Transition Group introduces the launch of the Transition Trial at Canadian Forces Base Borden, a pilot project that will assist the Canadian Armed Forces Transition Group in developing the professional, standardized, and personalized approach to transition that will eventually be put in place across the Canadian Armed Forces.

The stand up of this Transition Group is also an important step in ensuring a seamless transition for Canadian Armed Forces members, veterans, and their families to life after service. In the same way, it also responds to the commitment made in Canada’s Defence Policy, Strong, Secure, Engaged to better support members as they transition to post-military life.

More info at link

Back